Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That site was double bike stands before. And it was turned into a disabled parking spot.
    I guess the idea is that the car can reverse into the spot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

snubbleste wrote: »
    That site was double bike stands before. And it was turned into a disabled parking spot.
    I guess the idea is that the car can reverse into the spot.
    Some wheel chair users or disabled drivers may be getting a lift and their chair is in the rear seat or boot, therefore making reversing into the spot and even bigger obstacle.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Some wheel chair users or disabled drivers may be getting a lift and their chair is in the rear seat or boot, therefore making reversing into the spot and even bigger obstacle.

You've suggested that they may be getting a lift, therefore the logical thing to do would be for the person giving the lift to park front first rather than reverse park - it would be a mighty obstacle for a boot entering/exiting passenger to be backed up against a wall alright.

It does seem rather pointless, stupid even, to have bike racks either side of the disabled parking spot when they could just as easily be two abreast on one side only.

The space appears extra long. Iwannahurl, you need to get a tape and measure it to be sure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The space appears extra long. Iwannahurl, you need to get a tape and measure it to be sure..

Tis the width I'm concerned about, Snubs. Although if it's extra long it might mean that the bike racks might not get in the way of car doors.

It does seem rather pointless, stupid even, to have bike racks either side of the disabled parking spot when they could just as easily be two abreast on one side only.

In fact, given the alternative spaces that could be used for bike parking nearby, siting the racks near the disabled parking space seems to be entirely unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    In fact, given the alternative spaces that could be used for bike parking nearby, siting the racks near the disabled parking space seems to be entirely unnecessary.

Which came first - the chicken or the egg? Believe the bike parking was there first - maybe was just lazyiness in not rermoving these two stands when creating this disabled bay or else they did not want to convert an existing parking bay to a bike parking bay when the other stands were removed? It's a half arsed job in any case.

You've suggested that they may be getting a lift, therefore the logical thing to do would be for the person giving the lift to park front first rather than reverse park - it would be a mighty obstacle for a boot entering/exiting passenger to be backed up against a wall alright.

My point was that if they park nose first, their front door may hit the bikes while attempting to open them so it makes no difference where their WC is (in the boot or a small/light lift over one. Reverse in and if someone else is retrieving the WC then they will struggle and they will also have difficulty backing up to close their front door it its one of the light lift over ones.

Which came first - the chicken or the egg? Believe the bike parking was there first - maybe was just lazyiness in not rermoving these two stands when creating this disabled bay or else they did not want to convert an existing parking bay to a bike parking bay when the other stands were removed? It's a half arsed job in any case.

This was the situation in 2009. It seems that there are a couple of bike stands.

I suspect you are spot on regarding the conversion of both designated and 'de facto' car parking spaces to bike parking. Clearly there are several such spaces nearby, but my guess is that the idea never even entered their minds.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    This was the situation in 2009. ...
    Observe how the cars in 2009 fit the space
    and then compare the 2014 space which extends past the adjacent footpath - hence my theory that the space is too long *smug*

Chapter 7 of the Department of Transport's Road Signs Manual 2010 specifies the minimum dimensions of disabled parking bays.

Width (when perpendicular to the kerbline): 2.4 metres
    Depth: 6m
    Buffer zone on both sides: 1.2m

That's a VW Caddy van in the 2009 StreetView image. The Caddy is between 4.4 and 4.9 metres in length overall, depending on model.

I don't think this particular disabled parking bay is too long/deep, but it seems to be the case that NUIG has inappropriately annexed part of the regulation 1.2m buffer zone to bung in a couple of token bike stands.

The addition of a disabled parking bay is an improvement, but NUIG should have given more thought to bike parking provision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Wrote roads@galway.ie last week about the state of the cycle lanes along the western distributor. The red surface paint they laid down to mark the cycle lanes is in a really bad state in some areas, in particular by the bottle bank near B&Q/Dunnes. It's as though they had the budget to put it there in the first place but no one ever thought they might need to maintain it.

newkie wrote: »
    Wrote roads@galway.ie last week about the state of the cycle lanes along the western distributor. The red surface paint they laid down to mark the cycle lanes is in a really bad state in some areas, in particular by the bottle bank near B&Q/Dunnes. It's as though they had the budget to put it there in the first place but no one ever thought they might need to maintain it.

The red material is known to be atrocious in terms of both how long it lasts and as material for cycle lanes in general and I have recollections of someone pointing out in the cycling forum how much more expensive it is in the first place compared to regular road surface. Its only benefit is that it is now in the mindset of people as a demarcation for cycle lanes and makes it easy for road users to identify and remind them.

I've seen those WDR cycle lanes. They've been in rag order for years, and the siting of the bottle bank ensures injury is added to insult.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Fair play, they really are in quite a bad way so hopefully you get a response, post back here if you do/don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I did hear straight back from the office but there is no indication that anything will actually be done.
    I forwarded your email to Mr. McElligott, S.E.E. and he may not have realised that you are
    awaiting a reply. However, on his behalf I can advise that he will consider your email and your request.

That's the end of it as far as they're concerned. Probably an email forwarded which will fall to the bottom of the pile unread.

I was cycling along the Bishop O'Donnell Rd today and noticed a lot of glass. As these lanes are raised up I doubt they would be touched by the street cleaners (no idea how often they run anyhow). Just wondering can anyone verify they clean these raised cycle lanes on occasion?

I was cycling along the Bishop O'Donnell Rd today and noticed a lot of glass. As these lanes are raised up I doubt they would be touched by the street cleaners (no idea how often they run anyhow). Just wondering can anyone verify they clean these raised cycle lanes on occasion?
    Of course they are cleaned regularly, otherwise there would be years worth of debris on the bike paths. The fault lies with the deliberate throwing of glass onto paths by idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭jkforde

Thanks for prompting me, did likewise

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Of course they are cleaned regularly, otherwise there would be years worth of debris on the bike paths. The fault lies with the deliberate throwing of glass onto paths by idiots.

Regular could mean once a year. Bike lanes/paths are not swept often enough, and it appears that the machines leave a fair bit of glass behind.

The idiocy on the WDR is siting a bottle bank adjacent to a footpath and cycle lane, and then failing to maintain any of it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭galwayredgirl

Lundar. wrote: »
    Simple mate, I don't want trouble from mods/Legal stuff. This happen all the time outside the centra as well mate.I'm sure its the same in other parts of the city as well.

Seems like you have a lot of time on your hands. Going around photographing cars is a bit strange. :confused:

Seems like you have a lot of time on your hands. Going around photographing cars is a bit strange. :confused:

It's not like they're hard to find and who doesn't have a camera on their phone anyway, it's the same kind of timeframe as taking a damnable selfie :pac:

• Advertisement

It's not like they're hard to find and who doesn't have a camera on their phone anyway, it's the same kind of timeframe as taking a damnable selfie :pac:

But seriously, It would seem to be a very strange hobby. Not to mention the invasion of privacy and the intimidation aspect of it. Like what kind of individual goes around photographing parked cars? Do we now live in a talibanesque society where you cant even pull in for a few minutes to go to the shop without some individual on a bike photographing you and your car? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Do we now live in a talibanesque society where you cant even pull in for a few minutes to go to the shop without some nut job on a bike photographing you and your car? :mad:
    Are you saying it's acceptable to park on a clearway, double yellow lines or in a bike lane "for a few minutes to go to the shop"?

Are you saying it's acceptable to park on a clearway, double yellow lines or in a bike lane "for a few minutes to go to the shop"?

If you are not obstructing traffic or wheelchairs or buggys then to be quite frank yes. God how did we manage without bike lanes up until a few years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Example of a clearway or double yellow line where you can park without causing obstruction to traffic or wheelchairs or buggys? They're there for a reason...

J o e wrote: »
    Example of a clearway or double yellow line where you can park without causing obstruction to traffic or wheelchairs or buggys? They're there for a reason...

Live and let live, I would hate to live in a rigid inflexible society where someone can't pull in for a few minutes for whatever reason, I'm not talking about abandoning a car for the day. Wheelchairs / buggies / traffic should not be obstructed or blocked.

Wheelchairs / buggies / traffic should not be obstructed or blocked.

Where?

Sounds like an unnecessary clearway or double-yellow if this can be done...?

Where?

Sounds like an unnecessary clearway or double-yellow if this can be done...?

Its basic cop on. You don't park in a manner likely to cause an obstruction. Zealotry is never good i.e. Live and let live.

My point is if it's a clearway or double yellow, then you generally will always be causing an obstruction to someone if you park there.... that's why it's there in the first place.

The spots mentioned above generally have a continual flow of cars stopping "for a few minutes", resulting in an obstruction for the whole day.

My point is if it's a clearway or double yellow, then you generally will always be causing an obstruction to someone if you park there.... that's why it's there in the first place.

The spots mentioned above generally have a continual flow of cars stopping "for a few minutes", resulting in an obstruction for the whole day.

All car drivers are evil! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You're not answering my questions or suggested logic so I'll have to give up on you. :pac:

Like most cyclists I also drive. Unfortunately it's a handful of both drivers and cyclists that don't give due consideration to other road users and end up giving both groups a bad name.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement