Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Have to disagree, unfortunately. It's free parking at public expense for car-dependent god-botherers. Gaol Road impassable for cyclists. There are also four bus stops there, on the canal side, although tbh I don't know what buses if any would be excluded during the Novena. Meanwhile, 5-10 minutes' walk away, numerous spaces in the Dyke Road car-park remain empty.

Roads to and from the Cathedral were jammed with cars today around lunch-time. If traffic congestion is such an acute problem in Galway, why are motorists being facilitated to drive as close as possible to the door of the Cathedral?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I had not thought of that aspect. I zeroed in on the car-free footpaths and the unimpeded pedestrian

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Have to disagree, unfortunately. It's free parking at public expense for car-dependent god-botherers. Gaol Road impassable for cyclists. There are also four bus stops there, on the canal side, although tbh I don't know what buses if any would be excluded during the Novena. Meanwhile, 5-10 minutes' walk away, numerous spaces in the Dyke Road car-park remain empty.

Roads to and from the Cathedral were jammed with cars today around lunch-time. If traffic congestion is such an acute problem in Galway, why are motorists being facilitated to drive as close as possible to the door of the Cathedral?

Because the vast majority of people are not anti-car fanatics like you (thankfully) and people who drive into Galway to attend the novena should be accommodated with parking close by. You are also extremely condescending towards people attending the novena with your "god botherers" comment.

snubbleste wrote: »
    I had not thought of that aspect. I zeroed in on the car-free footpaths and the unimpeded pedestrian

We should be able to take that for granted, imo. There being a law against it and all.

people who drive into Galway to attend the novena should be accommodated with parking close by.

Why? Is there any particular reason why motorists attending the Novena should receive a perk subsidised by the public purse? Lots of people travel to the same event on foot, for example. Where's their little freebie at the taxpayer's expense? Are we not all equal before the law? Or is there yet another two-tier system in operation?

And to repeat my question: if traffic congestion is such an acute problem in Galway, why are motorists being facilitated to drive as close as possible to the door of the Cathedral? Is traffic congestion an issue or is it not?

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Why? Is there any particular reason why motorists attending the Novena should receive a perk subsidised by the public purse? Lots of people travel to the same event on foot, for example. Where's their little freebie at the taxpayer's expense? Are we not all equal before the law? Or is there yet another two-tier system in operation?

And to repeat my question: if traffic congestion is such an acute problem in Galway, why are motorists being facilitated to drive as close as possible to the door of the Cathedral? Is traffic congestion an issue or is it not?

The motorist is already contributing more to the public purse for driving there than the person who walks there for a start. The person who drives there already most likely has a much longer journey so why should there journey be further extended by having to park further away and have to walk there. There are lots of people who can't walk very far due to age etc.

Traffic congestion is acceptable for events such as the novena. A certain level of traffic congestion is acceptable at all times.

In cork at the moment there are weekly incentives of free parking to encourage people into the city. I'd say your head would explode of that happened in Galway and yet nobody is ranting on about it like you.

• Advertisement

The person who walks to the Novena is contributing nothing to traffic congestion, air pollution or CO2 emissions, all of which are externalised costs which are not met by motorists, and which are borne by everybody.

There are also people not attending the Novena and who have at least equal right to the public roads.

You have argued elsewhere, more than once, that motorists are "the people who matter".

You also seem rather sensitive about Novena-attenders. What would you say is the Christian/Catholic justification for granting special favours to one group and treating others as second-class citizens?

As for free parking initiatives, Galway City already had one, last November. That was a €20,000 public subsidy for only one section of the population, specifically intended to bring more cars into a city where the prevailing 'wisdom' is that €300 million of scarce public money is needed to tackle chronic traffic congestion. There is more than one type of mass illusion, it appears.

J o e wrote: »
    Gardai are recently hiding behind the bus stop outside Aldi in Westside, pulling in cars that come up that road in the bus lane. They're pulling the cars into the cycle lane to get details and have a chat. Walked past there this evening, saw two cars pull out and two more pulled in within 30 seconds. Easy catch for them.
    Traffic Garda at SQR/Old SQR junction observant of the misuse of outbound bus lane this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Good news

Belongs more in the county forum but still relevant to city dwellers as it might encourage a few cars from the city roads(that is for those who are lucky enough to be able to choose not to drive!) and will also be of benefit to the existing cyclists in the city

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/government-allocates-2-million-to-galway-moycullen-cycle-route-greenway-1.1765894

The Government has allocated €2 million towards the first “greenway” for commuters rather than tourists along the track of the former Connemara railway line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Great to see that pushing ahead. Anyone know what sort of surface is in the plan for the greenway? From what I heard the one in Mayo is gravely and only really suitable for hybrid bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

J o e wrote: »
    Great to see that pushing ahead. Anyone know what sort of surface is in the plan for the greenway? From what I head the one in Mayo is gravely and only really suitable for hybrid bikes.

There is thread in the cycling forum and someone said its going to be Tarmac on this one unlike the gravel on the Mayo one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

vale8jabs wrote: »
    Its a shame more people don't cycle given the compact size of Galway city and the problems with traffic congestion. What can be done to encourage cycling in the city? personally I find many of the roads are unsafe for cyclists at present.

Enforce the speed limit, fines for breaking red lights (cars and bikes), ticket cars parked on double yellow lines blocking the road and some sort of caution for not using your turn signals.
    I also think there should be zero tolerance for cyclists caught on the footpath especially zooming around narrow corners at high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

I have been cycling Seamus quirke road for a few weeks now, the cycling lanes are alway full of glass particularly around the bus stops.Make it hard to cycle at times and dangerous. Taken to cycling in the taxi lane for a short distance, as ESB has closed the cycle lane and the rest of it is full of glass.

Parking outside the G&L/centra in newcastle is a joke, seen cars all the time parked on the junction box and the pedestrian crossing. Never any wardens about.

No enforcement of traffic laws. Lack of simple maintenance on the cycle lanes, ie cleaning it once a month or something like that.No wonder cyclist use the glass free paths... Sorry for the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭jkforde

Lundar. wrote: »
    No enforcement of traffic laws. Lack of simple maintenance on the cycle lanes, ie cleaning it once a month or something like that.No wonder cyclist use the glass free paths... Sorry for the rant.

get on to your Councillor, the council, report it on fixyourstreet... the more of us that get actively vocal about this the better!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

I have been cycling Seamus quirke road for a few weeks now, the cycling lanes are alway full of glass particularly around the bus stops.Make it hard to cycle at times and dangerous. Taken to cycling in the taxi lane for a short distance, as ESB has closed the cycle lane and the rest of it is full of glass.

Those new cycle lanes are terrible so I have been using the CYCLE / BUS lane for over a year now although the City Direct Bus Drivers don't seem to understand the law that it is also for bikes and have tried taking me out on a few occasions so be careful. Taxi drivers also like to beep a lot but thankfully that's all they do.

In fairness now, the Council do sweep the cycle lanes regularly & there are litter crews picking up rubbish early in the morning. Otherwise you'd see years of litter built up, twigs, hedge cuttings, hub caps...
    The issue is eejits deliberately breaking glass to cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

The main problem I have with those new cycle lanes in Westside is the bends around the bus shelters. They're like chicanes in formula one.

I think cyclists should be on the road and that the council would do well to just make provisions for them to use the road and change junctions more to suit all users car, pedestrian and cyclist.

The very short red coloured bike path opposite Centra on Newcastle Road, adjacent to the new Uni entrance, is attracting motorists who just, eh, park there. Y'know just for a few minutes when they go to the shop. They used to park on the footpath until the pesky Council erected a guard rail. They appear to or choose to be completely oblivious to the fact that they are blocking a lane.

4jrKT2Ol.jpg?3iTTo60fl.jpg?2

well its even worse the far side, they like to block the entrance to snipe avenue and the most of the junction box and the pedestrian crossing at times. I will take some photos of it over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Those new cycle lanes are terrible so I have been using the CYCLE / BUS lane for over a year now although the City Direct Bus Drivers don't seem to understand the law that it is also for bikes and have tried taking me out on a few occasions so be careful. Taxi drivers also like to beep a lot but thankfully that's all they do.
    sonandheir wrote: »
    The main problem I have with those new cycle lanes in Westside is the bends around the bus shelters. They're like chicanes in formula one.

I think cyclists should be on the road and that the council would do well to just make provisions for them to use the road and change junctions more to suit all users car, pedestrian and cyclist.

Just thought I'd add to this particular topic by mentioning my most recent trip on SQR whilst on my bike.

I was cycling east on Bishop O'Donnell road & SQR at about 6.30pm on a Tuesday evening a few weeks ago. I was in the bus lane as I didn't want to use the cycle path (due to reasons mentioned by other posters above). Anyway, I got a beep of a horn from behind from the 405 BE bus (at the junction with the Rahoon road). I continued to cycle on and then the bus driver decided to very narrowly overtake me (we were along by the Westside pitches (or what's left of them) at this point). He barely crossed over into the other lane even though it was clear and there were no cars. Naturally I thought 'fcuk that was close, but at least he's gone now'.

Then, as I cycled along by the Westside Recreation Centre, I noticed that the bus wasn't too far ahead of me and he started to slow down for no apparent reason. At this point he had crossed over to the other lane (presumably because he needed to be in the correct lane when approaching the Browne roundabout). The bus driver then stopped the bus as I was coming closer and he unbelievably opened the doors. I decided to stop (I really should have just kept cycling). The bus driver then called me every name under the sun, and said I should be on the cycle path, and said that 'I was giving cyclists a bad name' for being in the bus lane. After about 30 seconds of him ranting at me, he closed the bus doors and drove on. And in case you were wondering, the bus was in service and there were passengers on-board.

What a nutjob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

4jrKT2Ol.jpg?3iTTo60fl.jpg?2

Jaysus, I haven't exactly been pro-cycling in my time on boards but that is shocking. What could possibly merit stopping there? The limited cycle lanes we do have should be clear all the time. Audi driver...I'm not surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What a nutjob.

I have had the same with an on purpose punishment pass, where the driver overtook me, matched my speed and then pulled in. He then admitted it was to show me how dangerous it was to cycle on the bus lane, same as yourself, empty traffic lanes beside him. Needless to say the Gardai are appreciative that I had it all on camera.

I've yet to get a Bus Driver to stop and get out but have had them open the door and shout about it with passengers aboard :confused:. As soon as they finish the rant I ask them politely if they'd like to discuss the rules of the road, this results in another rant a which point I cycle on. I don't think they should be driving with this much aggression built up!

Report the incident on the Bus Eireann website, they can then highlight it to the driver although I'd also consider notifying the guards if it happens again.

Just thought I'd add to this particular topic by mentioning my most recent trip on SQR whilst on my bike.

I was cycling east on Bishop O'Donnell road & SQR at about 6.30pm on a Tuesday evening a few weeks ago. I was in the bus lane as I didn't want to use the cycle path (due to reasons mentioned by other posters above). Anyway, I got a beep of a horn from behind from the 405 BE bus (at the junction with the Rahoon road). I continued to cycle on and then the bus driver decided to very narrowly overtake me (we were along by the Westside pitches (or what's left of them) at this point). He barely crossed over into the other lane even though it was clear and there were no cars. Naturally I thought 'fcuk that was close, but at least he's gone now'.

Then, as I cycled along by the Westside Recreation Centre, I noticed that the bus wasn't too far ahead of me and he started to slow down for no apparent reason. At this point he had crossed over to the other lane (presumably because he needed to be in the correct lane when approaching the Browne roundabout). The bus driver then stopped the bus as I was coming closer and he unbelievably opened the doors. I decided to stop (I really should have just kept cycling). The bus driver then called me every name under the sun, and said I should be on the cycle path, and said that 'I was giving cyclists a bad name' for being in the bus lane. After about 30 seconds of him ranting at me, he closed the bus doors and drove on. And in case you were wondering, the bus was in service and there were passengers on-board.

What a nutjob.

The bus driver then called me every name under the sun, and said I should be on the cycle path, and said that 'I was giving cyclists a bad name' for being in the bus lane. After about 30 seconds of him ranting at me, he closed the bus doors and drove on. And in case you were wondering, the bus was in service and there were passengers on-board.

Report the incident to Bus Eireann, giving exact details of time and location, and a general description of the driver.

While you're at it, please ask the BE official what they understand the meaning and status of this sign to be:

SQR-bike-bus-lane.jpg

Let us know what the Bus Eireann response is!

Election posters - Aargh!
    I was assaulted by a flailing Cllr Conneely on Newcastle Rd - the top cable tie has unfastened and he's upside down attacking anyone who dares pass.
    I mean really all candidates are breaching the poster guidelines, you have to duck to avoid hitting some of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭what_traffic

They(Galway City Council) were told before they built it that issues like this would occur.
    http://www.galwaycycling.org/city-council-to-spend-e6-million-to-slow-down-city-buses/

Election posters - Aargh!

I especially dislike the Cllr Billy Cameron signs which are shaped like road warning signs and placed at junctions. I've seem some on traffic light poles and almost all below the allowed level.

The first item on his list of achievements to date is "Traffic Management". :mad:

Hi folks,

These photos are the kind of illegal parking I see a few times a day around G&L/Centra and AIB bank in Newcastle.They tend to block the path and crossing for pedestrians and the turn to the left from snipe avenue. I have rarely seen parking wardens do tickets around here. In the petrol station is the main spot for gardai to refuel their cars(they alway turn a blind eye to this kind of stuff around here). The last 2 photos a Squad car passed by and did nothing.
    In Snipe avenue ,there is a Disability centre/School in snipe avenue, Parking like this make it hard for everyone. (It purpose has changed several times in the last 20 years.)

I am not a hater of cars or cycling (I use both equally) but just would like to see better enforce of parking and traffic regulations. Several times i haven't been to get out of Snipe avenue for 10-15 whilst delivery takes place in the morning.

I leave these with ye, i can provide more photos if needed.

OPzk96P.jpg

mFrP8ib.jpg

i7Iz54y.jpg

318sBH1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭what_traffic

... The last 2 photos a Squad car passed by and did nothing.

i7Iz54y.jpg

318sBH1.jpg

That is shocking really that the Gardai did not take action. Blocking a Pelican Pedestrian Crossing and parking on a yellow box and double yellow lines? Are the Gardai just blind to it as it occurs so often in Galway City?

Are the Gardai just blind to it as it occurs so often in Galway City?
    Yes.

• Advertisement

Why did you block out their registrations?

It's the same all day every day outside Londis opposite UCHG.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement