Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

Simple mate, I don't want trouble from mods/Legal stuff. This happen all the time outside the centra as well mate.I'm sure its the same in other parts of the city as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Yeah it's common all over, those two spots are especially bad.

From a legal / photography point of view there's no issue with showing registrations - photos were taken in a public place. Name and shame (registrations) I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The traffic warden is in Newcastle daily. Gardai have more to be at than worrying about a car parked on double yellow lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Gardai have more to be at than worrying about a car parked on double yellow lines

Indeed they must, since they gaily ignore such lawbreaking every day of the year.

Thing is, what do they worry about?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

J o e wrote: »
    Yeah it's common all over, those two spots are especially bad.

From a legal / photography point of view there's no issue with showing registrations - photos were taken in a public place. Name and shame (registrations) I say!

As these photos could well be hosted online indefinitely, but ownership of the portrayed reg's will likely change, I foresee a bit of a problem with your name & shame point of view, best to err on the side of caution here.

• Advertisement

The traffic warden is in Newcastle daily. Gardai have more to be at than worrying about a car parked on double yellow lines
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Thing is, what do they worry about?

Well at the moment they're sitting parked up on the cycle lane at the Tesco end of the Quincentenary Bridge waving in the odd car for presumably speeding (or mobile phone usage).

As these photos could well be hosted online indefinitely, but ownership of the portrayed reg's will likely change, I foresee a bit of a problem with your name & shame point of view, best to err on the side of caution here.

An observation -- not an argument -- on that point.

The registration number of a vehicle is not equivalent to a person's name or other identifying feature of an individual.

The parking may be shameful, but the inanimate object causing the obstruction cannot be embarrassed.

The photo, including the publicly displayed reg number, is self-evidently factual at the time the incident was observed. However, it would require a bizarre departure from reason for anyone to claim that some sort of residual guilt is transferred from one person to another when a vehicle changes ownership.

Would we say the same about a house, for example? Maybe some of us identify ourselves too closely with our cars...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

An observation -- not an argument -- on that point.

The registration number of a vehicle is not equivalent to a person's name or other identifying feature of an individual.

Accurate
    The parking may be shameful, but the inanimate object causing the obstruction cannot be embarrassed.

Accurate
    The photo, including the publicly displayed reg number, is self-evidently factual at the time the incident was observed. However, it would require a bizarre departure from reason for anyone to claim that some sort of residual guilt is transferred from one person to another when a vehicle changes ownership.

Not implied, so irrelevant.
    Would we say the same about a house, for example? Maybe some of us identify ourselves too closely with our cars...

irrelevant

I, most likely you, do not know who owns the above cars, that is not to say that somebody browsing would not recognise the reg. As there are plenty of assholes out there, as evident in this very thread, I'd rather "err on the side of caution" rather than have one of these assholes [eg] keying someone's car because they saw a picture of that car parked illegally, with these pictures being online indefinitely who's to say when one of these assholes will see the picture and who the owner of the car is at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Well at the moment they're sitting parked up on the cycle lane at the Tesco end of the Quincentenary Bridge waving in the odd car for presumably speeding (or mobile phone usage).

Ya should have reported them to the Gardai. Can imagine the confusion in Millstreet!

It's been done before.

http://irishcycle.com/2014/04/26/gardai-apologise-for-speed-van-parked-in-n11-cycle-path/
    "
    A Garda Traffic Corps superintendent says the parking of a Garda speed detection van on a cycle path on the busy N11 was “totally unacceptable” and has apologised, according to a councilor who highlighted the poor parking.
    "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where is the cycle lane? - approaching Bodkin
    pPs2BVjl.jpg?2

• Advertisement

seen that on a daily basis, i tend to stick to the correct lanes only to find, drivers using the cycle lane to go left and thus cutting up anyone that want to turn left correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Lundar. wrote: »
    seen that on a daily basis, i tend to stick to the correct lanes only to find, drivers using the cycle lane to go left and thus cutting up anyone that want to turn left correctly.

The drivers are allowed to do that if they're turning left. If your a cyclist you can pass if it's safe to do so or wait your turn.

(5)(a) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 022 has been provided, save for the purposes of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to such a place.

(b) A reference in paragraph (a) to driving along or across a cycle track shall include a reference to driving wholly or partly along or across a cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Time wrote: »
    The drivers are allowed to do that if they're turning left. If your a cyclist you can pass if it's safe to do so or wait your turn.

It's open to interpretation, but doesn't it mean to get access to the adjacent road - coming across the cycle lane to turn? As opposed to being 5 or 6 cars back and driving along it? Does the official path only start at the red in the pic above? If so, then that seems like a fair access, but if the cycle path is also the black, there is no need for cars to enter so far back.

To whoever was cycling through the Bodkin junction at about three this afternoon, coming from the bridge going towards Headford, who took a picture of a stopped black VW Golf as you were passing - you cycled through a red traffic light and gave my wife and I a scare while we were crossing.

inisboffin wrote: »
    It's open to interpretation, but doesn't it mean to get access to the adjacent road - coming across the cycle lane to turn? As opposed to being 5 or 6 cars back and driving along it? Does the official path only start at the red in the pic above? If so, then that seems like a fair access, but if the cycle path is also the black, there is no need for cars to enter so far back.

Looking at the picture the cycle lane starts at the red marking. There are no solid white or broken lines to indicate a cycle lane before that. So drivers are entitled to drive as close to the kerb as they like.

When the drivers get to the cycle lane they're entitled to keep left, and cross the cycle lane as per the statute I quoted as the cycle lane has broken white lines. The caveat is as long as it's safe to do so . Cyclists don't have an automatic right of way here if drivers are ahead and safely moving across the cycle lane

snubbleste wrote: »
    Where is the cycle lane? - approaching Bodkin
    pPs2BVjl.jpg?2

actually there is, just that the cars are parked on top of it.

wi4ZcIu.jpg

Time wrote: »
    When the drivers get to the cycle lane they're entitled to keep left, and cross the cycle lane as per the statute I quoted as the cycle lane has broken white lines. The caveat is as long as it's safe to do so . Cyclists don't have an automatic right of way here if drivers are ahead and safely moving across the cycle lane

I don't think the issue is cars crossing the cycle lane when it is safe to do so, this is obviously necessary to access the left slip road. The problem is cars stopping along and across the cycle lane when there isn't space to progress through. Or slowly crawly across when there are cyclists coming up the lane who would have passed before the car could finish crossing the lane.

If you were taking a right-turn onto a road that's backed up you would wait until it's clear rather than stop your car across the opposing lane of traffic.

one is filter lane for turning left and the other is straight ahead and i think turn left also?. The filter lane on the left , goes green 5 secs or so ahead of the other lights. which might be encouraging this behaviour.

one is filter lane for turning left and the other is straight ahead and i think turn left also?. The filter lane on the left , goes green 5 secs or so ahead of the other lights. which might be encouraging this behaviour.

Not sure what you mean. To clarify - there is one slip lane coming off the main road from the bridge which you have to cross the cycle path to enter. After the branch off this splits into two lanes. The lights for these two lanes goes green while traffic is green coming from Dunnes approach and remains green as the traffic from the bridge is green (no left turn at main junction).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭what_traffic

wi4ZcIu.jpg

One Solution to stop this ignorant and illegal behaviour would be to install plastic bollards alongside the cycle lane(to the right - on the solid white line) and have it terminate were the red cycle paint begins and the broken white line starts. This is the section that other vechicles can cross into the left filter(hence the broken white line)

• Advertisement

wi4ZcIu.jpg

With a solid white line no less, motorists in the wrong there so, no question

One Solution to stop this ignorant and illegal behaviour would be to install plastic bollards alongside the cycle lane(to the right - on the solid white line) and have it terminate were the red cycle paint begins and the broken white line starts. This is the section that other vechicles can cross into the left filter(hence the broken white line)

They ideally would have taken in the footpath another foot and had a kerb alongside the cycle path completely separating it from traffic. Is there a filter cycle lane that goes left before the lights?

I don't think the issue is cars crossing the cycle lane when it is safe to do so, this is obviously necessary to access the left slip road. The problem is cars stopping along and across the cycle lane when there isn't space to progress through. <b> Or slowly crawly across when there are cyclists coming up the lane who would have passed before the car could finish crossing the lane.</b>

If you were taking a right-turn onto a road that's backed up you would wait until it's clear rather than stop your car across the opposing lane of traffic.

There's the real problem, your actually allowed to stop halfway across the cycle lane with the broken white line, if you intend on going left, which impedes the flow of cyclists.

PS: sorry for all the replies, not sure how to multi-quote :(

I spotted this bike parking arrangement outside NUI Galway premises in Nuns Island recently.

An efficient use of space, or a sneaky imposition on disabled drivers?

311444.jpg

311445.jpg

is it on the footpath ?

The footpath ends just before the disabled parking spot.

EDIT: fixed my post above to make it clear that I am referring to the inclusion of two bike parking stands in a disabled parking bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The footpath ends just before the disabled parking spot.

EDIT: fixed my post above to make it clear that I am referring to the inclusion of two bike parking stands in a disabled parking bay.

Before the entrance to that building was renovated, there were tonnes of bike spaces/metal stands (to the right in your first photo). They must be gone now because of the wheelchair access ramp?

Disabled spots are bigger than normal spaces, so those bike stands either side of the disabled spot are maybe an efficient use of space.

As shown in the second photo, there is plenty of space around that could be used for bike parking.

The question is whether the two bike stands encroach on the disabled parking bay. Offhand I don't know what the statutory requirements are in terms of minimum dimensions -- I must look it up.

My gut feeling is that it's an inappropriate use of the disabled parking space, given the other options just a few metres away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

As shown in the second photo, there is plenty of space around that could be used for bike parking.

The question is whether the two bike stands encroach on the disabled parking bay. Offhand I don't know what the statutory requirements are in terms of minimum dimensions -- I must look it up.

My gut feeling is that it's an inappropriate use of the disabled parking space, given the other options just a few metres away.

It does look a bit like they wouldn't leave much room at the doors, which kind of defeats the whole purpose. I wouldn't want to be trying to squeeze a wheelchair between an open car door and a pair of locked bikes like that, or trying to help a frail elderly person.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    It does look a bit like they wouldn't leave much room at the doors, which kind of defeats the whole purpose. I wouldn't want to be trying to squeeze a wheelchair between an open car door and a pair of locked bikes like that, or trying to help a frail elderly person.

That's my feeling too, but it may also be the case that the space is generously proportioned, exceeding the statutory dimensions by a big enough margin.

Still, even if it could be regarded as clever use of space, my preference would be to site a bigger number of bike parking stands in the spaces available close by.

Essentially the current arrangement requires disabled drivers and cyclists to compromise in order to save space, which is not the way it should be imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement