Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

2gen wrote: »
    from what ive read the 4 new characters are Antman, Cyclops, Megaman and Servebot... 3 of them are already in Ultimate so i can imagine the producers making them into their own separate characters like what they did with Firebrand going from Vanilla to Ultimate (he was a background character in Demon Village) so in reality they only had to work on 1 character from scratch which is Cyclops.

Making the character model is such a small part of the development though. Apart from that you have to design the entire moveset, create animations for them that look good on the character model, figure out frame data/hitboxes for all of them, spend a lot of time QA testing that stuff to make sure the character is balanced and doesn't have any infinites/glitches, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

e

-no more "body-bag" Doom footdive
    -no more Wesker glasses buffs
    -no more unscaled "up-grapple" from Spencer
    -decreased Zero damage
    -no Vergil sword loops
    -lower tier characters getting good buffs that wont over-power them
    - no meter gain for Morrigan during her Illusion super
    as for Spidey, i like him the way it is... but i would appreciate them changing the timing of his DP -> Spider-Sting to make it less strict.

Body bag is grand just slow him down a bit, maybe not ground bounce on hit or make it non Dash cancelable

Glasses buff should be just speed increase only, maybe just 5% power boost

Upscaled grapple should be dealt with agreed

Swords Hyper eats meter and thats fair tbh, Make helm breaker - instead of 0 on block

Zero does **** all damage already, the knockdown states on buster or lightning should be messed with

Low tier characters should be given more time to be figured out

Take away Morrigan hyper meter gain agreed

Change Spider Sting follow up execution to a 1frame link making it stricter

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Does Spiderman's Spider Sting really need a follow up attack?

Just remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Changes I would like to see.

Cap follow up after dp. It's gotta be one of the least used moves in the game as its risk reward is hilariously dumb.
    Cap shield throw air hyper. He must shout "YIELD" or something along those lines.
    More custom quotes.
    More red white and blue.
    Shield infinites, give them back please.
    Power up hyper where cap sees injustice and becomes Phoenix.

Thor.
    Hammer throw. Make it a knock down or wall bounce that he can follow up from anywhere and we now have a character.
    Maybe make mighty smash an overhead. It really looks like an overhead already. Would really improve his assist too.

Iron man.
    Sober up his movement, it's ass.
    Make his smart bombs like mvc 2 where they travel different ranges.
    Give him a tackle style attack which allows him to combo off an air to air hit. Something like nova jump S.
    Give him an air hyper maybe. Or a snazzy power up hyper. It would be such an iron man thing to do. Use max power for a sec yo.

Hulk
    Make him count as an avenger in game.
    Make hulk smash better.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Things I'd love to see from a comic fan perspective only.

Super Skrull can fly. He should have flight. And flame projectiles. Or invisible ones. Whatever float's Kl'rts boat.

Cap should have a hyper counter where he parries with the shield. It's whole point is it's unbreakable. (Credits to Doyler for this one)

Iron Man should have a power up hyper where the hulk buster armour attaches to his own for 10 seconds or so.

Norman Osbourne should be in the game, beasting people in a suit. He was one of the biggest characters in Marvel for the last decade, he deserves it. (Credits to Chopper)

Doc Ock should be in: He is probably Marvel's most iconic of evil characters, outside of Doom, and he could be a palette swap of Omega Red. Work's already done. Villains have gotten very little love in this game.

Hawkeye should have an alternate animation for his level 3 where he BECOMES Goliath in his hyper 90's costume he used to wear.

200834-17926-hawkeye.jpg

Thor should be good. Capcom personnel have said Sagat usually ends up top tier because it doesn't make sense for him not to be: the same goes for Thor.

Ultron should be in. UMvC gives the Avengers a lot of love: It'd be awesome if they gave their arch rival some too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

I'd say take away the Spider Sting follow up, but at least give him new opportunities to combo near the ground then. A safe follow up to a DP is BS but all of his major BnBs rely on it, so don't ruin the character over it.

Cap should definitely have either a counter hyper or a counter similar to Taskmaster and Ammy.

They need to make Thor's DP super better among a lot of other things. It's something like -70 on block with no pushback. Mageto has more or less the same thing but it's much more safe and does almost as much damage.

On the Marvel side of things, I'd like to see Storm as something other than a secondary character used for her hyper to destroy assists.

No complaints at all about Magneto and Phoenix, although I'm not fond of the way you have to play Phoenix. They're both really good characters.

Really happy with the Capcom side of the roster. As a DMC, Okami and Phoenix Wright fan, I can see how faithful they are to how they are in their respective series. Whether it makes them stupidly good in some cases, Dante & Vergil, or pretty awful, Phoenix Wright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Give Jill, Hsien and PW buffs, sorted.

Give Wesker dual wield

Jill should get a Barry Burton Hyper where he shots his magnum and makes his iconic statement about jill been a sandwich

Doyler01 wrote: »
    Changes I would like to see.

Cap follow up after dp. It's gotta be one of the least used moves in the game as its risk reward is hilariously dumb.
    We both know why you want this. Mach Speed will never be truly punishable. GIVE IT UP.
    Give him an air hyper maybe. Or a snazzy power up hyper. It would be such an iron man thing to do. Use max power for a sec yo.
    I am loving this idea.
    Fergus_ wrote: »
    Give Jill, Hsien and PW buffs, sorted.
    Phoenix Wright is already overpowered as hell. Just buff his lip-sync animation when performing Ace Attorney. T'is all I ask.

Oh, and a Hobo Wright alternate costume would be so, so bitchin'. I'd never stop using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

https://twitter.com/Ryota_Niitsuma/status/221036421169946624
    That is a lie. RT @videogame554: is it true we gonna see a uncanny edition of umvc3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Yreval wrote: »

Confirmed that the totally legit new version is not going to be called Uncanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

Naphiel wrote: »
    I'd say take away the Spider Sting follow up, but at least give him new opportunities to combo near the ground then. A safe follow up to a DP is BS but all of his major BnBs rely on it, so don't ruin the character over it.

He has always had that follow-up since the Marvel Heros days, i doubt they would remove it. but in a game where most of the cast have really cheap stuff, i dont think this compares... but then again we all know im going to be a little biased defending my main.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd like the option to play as regular Phoenix with 800,000 health or so and no Dark Phoenix.

She'd still die in one combo from most teams and sometimes by just one character, but she'll also still be one of the best characters in the game.

He has always had that follow-up since the Marvel Heros days, i doubt they would remove it. but in a game where most of the cast have really cheap stuff, i dont think this compares... but then again we all know im going to be a little biased defending my main.

I think dp pressure is a bit much. Dp should never be low risk high reward. Should be other way around. To avoid ruining spidey, a good change would be to remove invincibility completely on lp and mp dp. And remove follow ups from his hp dp. Spidey dp feels like fighting tron assist all over again.

Ps saw spiderman movie. Loved it. Best by far IMO.... Still, it's no Avengers :p

Dp should never be low risk high reward.

Ps saw spiderman movie. Loved it. Best by far IMO.... Still, it's no Avengers :p

-In SF4 can't you just FADC most DP attacks to make them safe? Ryu players do it all the time into Ultra.

-Yeah, i saw the movie as well. it was alright, still kinda prefer the 1st two movies but this movie was good in its own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

-In SF4 can't you just FADC most DP attacks to make them safe? Ryu players do it all the time into Ultra.
    -Yeah, i saw the movie as well. it was alright, still kinda prefer the 1st two movies but this movie was good in its own way.

You need to use half of your Super bar to do so though. Can't just do it at will.

Like Chopper said u have to use half of your meter. So in marvel terms it should cost 2 1/2 bars to make ur DP safe.

Its nothing like SF at all. Half your bar is a huge cost for 1 safe DP. Spiderman can just spam it in any situation, and then on hit whiff or block just zip off or continue a combo. Invincible moves shouldn't be free / brain dead. Like footdive gets a lot of flack for being brain dead, but atleast its not invincible and Doom must not dash before it or be in flight to make it safe.
    Both are still mental.

Invincible moves shouldn't be free / brain dead. Like footdive gets a lot of flack for being brain dead, but atleast its not invincible and Doom must not dash before it or be in flight to make it safe.
    Both are still mental.

in fairness, if Spidey's DP was as brain dead as Doom's footdive, then why don't we see more Spideys in top 8 at majors? im not saying its not at all stupid, but you can't say its as broken as footdive which could cause a character death. in the end, characters that have more than 2 broken attacks (Doom, Wesker, Dorm, Vergil, Zero, Dante, Spencer, Strider, Viper, Phoenix) will always be chosen over Spidey. Spidey's one thing that can be labelled low risk high reward doesn't cover his faults (high execution, low health, extremely unsafe supers on whiff making DHCs into him unsafe as well, not a good solo character, must have a OTG assist for decent Happy Birthday combos... to name a few).
    to remove that move could really make it that much harder for Spidey. believe me, play him seriously for a while. it is a little unfair to say "remove it" if you only understand 1 side of the story, if you know what i mean.
    (im not salty btw :P)

in fairness, if Spidey's DP was as brain dead as Doom's footdive, then why don't we see more Spideys in top 8 at majors? im not saying its not at all stupid, but you can't say its as broken as footdive which could cause a character death. in the end, characters that have more than 2 broken attacks (Doom, Wesker, low tier Dorm who has none, Vergil, Zero, Dante, Strider, Viper, Phoenix) will always be chosen over Spidey. Spidey's one thing that can be labelled low risk high reward doesn't cover his faults (high execution, low health, extremely unsafe supers on whiff making DHCs into him unsafe as well, not a good solo character, must have a OTG assist for decent Happy Birthday combos... to name a few).
    to remove that move could really make it that much harder for Spidey. believe me, play him seriously for a while. it is a little unfair to say "remove" it if you only understand 1 side of the story, if you know what i mean.

Bens mad salty

Leave dorm outta this:pac:

Dormammu couldn't hurt a fly if he tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

in fairness, if Spidey's DP was as brain dead as Doom's footdive, then why don't we see more Spideys in top 8 at majors? im not saying its not at all stupid, but you can't say its as broken as footdive which could cause a character death. in the end, characters that have more than 2 broken attacks (Doom, Wesker, Dorm, Vergil, Zero, Dante, Strider, Viper, Phoenix) will always be chosen over Spidey. Spidey's one thing that can be labelled low risk high reward doesn't cover his faults (high execution, low health, extremely unsafe supers on whiff making DHCs into him unsafe as well, not a good solo character, must have a OTG assist for decent Happy Birthday combos... to name a few).
    to remove that move could really make it that much harder for Spidey. believe me, play him seriously for a while. it is a little unfair to say "remove it" if you only understand 1 side of the story, if you know what i mean.

That main reason we see more Vergils, Weskers and Dooms in tournaments is because they have a good pay off for amount of work they take. If everyone could play him and not drop a combo, we'd see a lot more Zeros in tournaments.

The one thing that makes Spiderman's dp so good is that he's rarely unsafe when applying pressure. If he leaves his unsafe normals without chaining into anything, you're at risk punishing him because you can be dp'd. If you try to advance guard him, you've pushed him too far away to be punished. There's no real reason not to do it. On it's own it's not too bad but he's a character that approaches at an angle that a lot of characters can't deal with and essentially has a vanilla air dash. He may have little health but he's one of the hardest characters to open up.

And poor Dorm, getting all this hate for no reason.

1440949-dormammu_super.jpg
    Poor Dorm

looking at the twitter about Uncanny Edition, its been confirmed as a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

i truly apologize for leading everyone on. trollface is the most abrupt way to end this. i thought a REAL announcement would overshadow this

Best reasoning. "I was hoping they really would announce an Uncanny Edition so everyone would think I was cool"

in fairness, if Spidey's DP was as brain dead as Doom's footdive, then why don't we see more Spideys in top 8 at majors? im not saying its not at all stupid, but you can't say its as broken as footdive which could cause a character death. in the end, characters that have more than 2 broken attacks (Doom, Wesker, Dorm, Vergil, Zero, Dante, Spencer, Strider, Viper, Phoenix) will always be chosen over Spidey. Spidey's one thing that can be labelled low risk high reward doesn't cover his faults (high execution, low health, extremely unsafe supers on whiff making DHCs into him unsafe as well, not a good solo character, must have a OTG assist for decent Happy Birthday combos... to name a few).

I never said he wasn't low tier. He's not a great character. But brain dead dp mixup pressure is just mad anyway you look at it.
    Why does it need to be invincible? How would my suggestion hurt his chances of comboing a happy birthday at all. All I suggested is that he must choose between a combo extender and a true dp while having both available. This would make it less brain dead as spidey has to notice if he has hit or not.
    As for the foot dive point, it is absolutely just as good. Foot dives height and ability to combo from anywhere is what makes it better. But foot dive can be dragon punched atleast as it has no invincibility. And as for the follow up damage difference... Don't u just tag doom in to do that after said broken dp hits anyway? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Xanfel

Lads, come on now. Let's not get all anti-arachnid-man-boy-thing.

My completely worthwhile contribution is that Spiderman should have a Lvl 3 Hyper where he turns into that Spider-beast thing from the 90s cartoon show. Cause I always thought that was kinda cool :<

PS:

Captain America is a dirty communist. True Story.

PPS:

Dormammu's head is on fire. Cut him some slack yo, fire hurts! :O

Xanfel wrote: »
    PS:

Captain America is a dirty communist. True Story.

captain_america_facepalm.jpg

Srsly tho, there's no hate from me for spidey. I just dont like his dp. Its silly. Give him other stuff, why he doesnt have a dodging move to make him invincible and viewtiful joe does is beyond me. He should also have a fast web projectile attack thats not his zip. Like a low durability web "beam". I'd like to see Spidey get a ton of buffs and be top tier. I just think the dp is dumb gawddddd.
    I'm a fan, and always hype to see him played.

spider-man-captain-america-hulk-rhino.jpg

All invincible, safe, cost free attacks that lead to a combo are dumb imo.
    Like Dante hammer, state of that move. Should be unsafe to make up for its invincibility but nope.
    U know what else is dumb? Twirly hands Haggar, which gets all the hate in the world, but atleast Haggar needs to work to get in AND blow a meter to make it safe.

God damn marvels

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Xanfel

I didn't actually think any of you cared that much, dun worry!

Spidey should have a dodge, yes, but I'd like to point out that Viewtiful Joe's is hardly that workable. As Lythero has found out to his great displeasure, it's rarely anything more than some extended invincibility for the inevitable Mach Speed since Groovy Uppercut doesn't seem to cut it.

That said, Naphiels' right. Web Zip is one of the few things in the game now that give someone incredibly safe air-mobility, and that counts for a hell of a lot.

Also, Dante's hammer is no longer the monster it used to be... at all. It's invincibility is a shadow of it's former self, making it a much fairer move. It allows Dante to trap anyone who's going in too hard, but it leaves him painfully open to anyone who sees it coming, since breaking it with projectiles is genuinely child's play nowadays.

On a side note: I'm glad to see that I'm being partially proven right, with the inevitable fall of Wesker becoming ever more apparent as the tournaments roll out.

I at least found out recently that Viewtiful Dodge can evade an entire Spell of Vishanti from Dr. Strange.

.... not that I play against people who use him more than once a week on xboxlive, but oh well.

• Advertisement

Gwan fruity ya beast. Cap in top 8 losers

Advertisement