Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 on 252!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

78s have nothing to do with this discussion. the campain to keep this vitally and strategically important service on air for as long as possible is a good campain and has many good reasons behind it. all you have is "economic reasons" . sometimes other more important things trump economics and this is a case which has such reasons that do as such.

Strategically important?? How so?

The reference to 78s was an analogy to highlight the fact that you can't keep outdated technology, like LW, going forever. Apologies if it was a bit subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Strategically important?? How so?

its a vital link for our elderly abroad who left their homeland all those years ago to better their lives because they're was nothing here for them to keep in touch with the motherland

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

its a vital link for our elderly abroad who left their homeland all those years ago to better their lives because they're was nothing here for them to keep in touch with the motherland

That isn't a strategic reason to keep it open though.

That isn't a strategic reason to keep it open though.
    it is

it is

Touché. You don't understand the words you're using but sure why let ignorance stop you from beating your drum? It's a compassionate reason, an emotional one, but strategic it is not.

Right, I'm out.

I'll finish by saying that I hope RTE have the balls to stand up to the tiny minority in the lunatic fringe and proceed with this eminently sensible and overdue decision. There'll be a week of giving out, then we can all (the protestors on this thread included) go back to our daily routine, not even noticing the absence of a completely redundant service, and just wait around for the next pretext over which to be fauxtraged.

You can have the last word.

• Advertisement

Touché. You don't understand the words you're using but sure why let ignorance stop you from beating your drum?

Right, I'm out.

I'll finish by saying that I hope RTE have the balls to stand up to the tiny minority in the lunatic fringe and proceed with this eminently sensible and overdue decision. There'll be a week of giving out, then we can all (the protestors on this thread included) go back to our daily routine, not even noticing the absence of a completely redundant service, and just wait around for the next pretext over which to be fauxtraged.

i know what the words mean. i hope RTE will consider the vitalness of this vital link to the motherland for our elderly abroad in the UK who left all those years ago to better their lives because they're was nothing here rather then proceeding with this distructive closure of this vital service to the motherland. this service isn't redundant and won't be until such time as a easy to use replacement for our elderly in the UK who rely on this vital service linking them to the motherland is found. good luck to you

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

it is

Add "strategic" to the list of words you have a non dictionary definition for thenm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Touché. You don't understand the words you're using but sure why let ignorance stop you from beating your drum? It's a compassionate reason, an emotional one, but strategic it is not.

Right, I'm out.

Sounds like you are now running away from the argument from where I'm standing!

RTÉ are all over the place and get more & more anxious and complacent every time new competition enters the market. It's a pity because there are some good people involved at the station but unfortunately there is also some deadwood and a serious lack of fresh creativity apart from the odd show here and there. I think they are mad to risk losing much of their older audience if they do proceed with the shutdown of Radio 1 LW 252KHz as currently scheduled to take effect on Jan 19th next. What radio service is ok with losing a key audience demographic?

Most stations want to be on as many platforms as possible I would imagine -who seriously believes that it is simple and straight-forward to persuade Senior Citizens to automatically change to listening via digital methods such as via Internet/Satellite/Broadband/DAB to hear RTÉ Radio 1? You will manage to do this with younger generations but it will be much more difficult with those 65Yrs+ who have been listening via AM over the years. Anyone who studies change management knows that making people change old habits is not easy but convincing OAPs to invest in alternative equipment and then also have to learn how to use a different technology is highly unlikely because of cost and difficulty in understanding how to use new technologies.

Even if you lose 2% audience you score lower JNLR listenership ratings and therefore advertisers will demand lower rates as a consequence - A bit like scoring an own goal in my opinion as the savings in closing LW252 may result in lower audience numbers and lower advertising revenue is bound to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

RTÉ are all over the place and get more & more anxious and complacent every time new competition enters the market. It's a pity because there are some good people involved at the station but unfortunately there is also some deadwood and a serious lack of fresh creativity apart from the odd show here and there. I think they are mad to risk losing much of their older audience if they do proceed with the shutdown of Radio 1 LW 252KHz as currently scheduled to take effect on Jan 19th next. What radio service is ok with losing a key audience demographic?

Most stations want to be on as many platforms as possible I would imagine -who seriously believes that it is simple and straight-forward to persuade Senior Citizens to automatically change to listening via digital methods such as via Internet/Satellite/Broadband/DAB to hear RTÉ Radio 1? You will manage to do this with younger generations but it will be much more difficult with those 65Yrs+ who have been listening via AM over the years. Anyone who studies change management knows that making people change old habits is not easy but convincing OAPs to invest in alternative equipment and then also have to learn how to use a different technology is highly unlikely because of cost and difficulty in understanding how to use new technologies.

Even if you lose 2% audience you score lower JNLR listenership ratings and therefore advertisers will demand lower rates as a consequence - A bit like scoring an own goal in my opinion as the savings in closing LW252 may result in lower audience numbers and lower advertising revenue is bound to follow.

Are you serious?

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Are you serious?

I'm posting because I'm just a great BIG Anorak :rolleyes:
    I find it difficult to take you seriously when you have nothing intelligent to add on the topic

• Advertisement

I find it difficult to take you seriously when you have nothing intelligent to add on the topic

Ive posted more intelligent and informed information on this topic than youself. As have most people.
    Your just an activist. Facts are somthing you make up for your cause but bare no relation to reality.

Dont let me stop you posting somthing intelligent yourself. It would be a first.

Ive posted more intelligent and informed information on this topic than youself. As have most people.
    Your just an activist. Facts are somthing you make up for your cause but bare no relation to reality.

You should ensure proper punctuation when writing sentences.

For example: "Ive" is incorrect as it should read as: I've
    "informed information" is very bad grammar
    "youself" is incorrect as it should read as yourself
    A separate sentence with only the words "As have most people." makes absolutely no sense.
    In the line "Your just an activist." the word "Your" should read as "You're"
    In the line "Facts are somthing..." the word should read as: "something"

The above is not intelligent to read and you are not well informed at all in my opinion.

Neither would I regard myself as an "activist" as I am not very active in comparison to others in the campaign.

You should ensure proper punctuation when writing sentences.

The above is not intelligent to read and you are not well informed at all in my opinion.

Yes. You said it. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

Is your argument about UK listeners or Irish listeners?
    Why would advertisers care how many listeners they would lose in the UK?
    They will have created an ad tailored to the irish market with Irish phone numbers, addresses etc.

You put forward a coherent, relevant argument and I'll come back. How does that sound?
    RTÉ are all over the place and get more & more anxious and complacent every time new competition enters the market. .

How can they be both anxious and complacent?

You put forward a coherent, relevant argument and I'll come back. How does that sound?

If you go back and refer to my earlier posts on this topic you should find some very coherent and relevant views outlined about this decision. In addition to that, you will find that there is quite a few others thru Boards.ie sharing similar views on same as well.

Remember this hasty decision has already been called into question, given the rollback by RTÉ to allow more time to review their initial decision - they rarely extend closure announcements so; it will be interesting to see if they proceed with closure on January 19th next or further postpone it.

srfc d16 wrote: »
    Is your argument about UK listeners or Irish listeners?
    Why would advertisers care how many listeners they would lose in the UK?
    They will have created an ad tailored to the irish market with Irish phone numbers, addresses etc.

My current focus has been on Irish ex-pats (particularly Irish Senior Citizens) who emigrated to the UK.

Advertisers care about numbers listening and the exact demographic breakdown. If they are aware that a certain percentage of listeners from the UK also regularly tune in for a particular show they may welcome the exposure depending on the product/service - not every advert on radio necessarily includes Tel No/Addresses however; they could easily say see local press for details in your area.

I would also have raised my concerns in earlier posts for your those who have very unsatisfactory or non existent FM/DAB signals within some rural or remote parts of the Republic who currently rely on LW252KHz. If you scroll back you will be able to view other examples I have referenced.

I'd be willing to lay money that 252 has precisely zero impact on advertisers. There's some hilarious wishful thinking on here.

My current focus has been on Irish ex-pats (particularly Irish Senior Citizens) who emigrated to the UK.

Advertisers care about numbers listening and the exact demographic breakdown. If they are aware that a certain percentage of listeners from the UK also regularly tune in for a particular show they may welcome the exposure depending on the product/service - not every advert on radio necessarily includes Tel No/Addresses however; they could easily say see local press for details in your area.

I would also have raised my concerns in earlier posts for your those who have very unsatisfactory or non existent FM/DAB signals within some rural or remote parts of the Republic who currently rely on LW252KHz. If you scroll back you will be able to view other examples I have referenced.

First BIB
    Listener research does not include those listening in the UK.

Second
    There are a number of listeners who are affected. It's the small size of this number that is the issue.

• Advertisement

First BIB
    Listener research does not include those listening in the UK.

Second
    There are a number of listeners who are affected. It's the small size of this number that is the issue.

I'm not certain if those people listening from beyond the Republic are included in the listenership research figures.

With regards to numbers listening to LW252 they are mainly Irish and the numbers may be relatively small but significant in an overall context when you consider that these days RTÉ Radio 1 is competing against so many independent radio stations from national to quasi-national, multi-city to regional, local to community radio licences etc; not to mention those younger listeners who tune into radio stations via internet/satellite/cable where available too.

Perhaps in this context, RTÉ are mad to be closing down a service that is already in place as older listeners in the senior citizen category should have been better assisted.

I imagine they did NOT delay closure because of a few well-known "anorak" enthusiasts. I wonder do they have any hard accurate information on the actual number of listeners who regularly tune in via LW252 in Ireland and UK and beyond or was the 2% just a very wild guess?

L1011 wrote: »
    I'd be willing to lay money that 252 has precisely zero impact on advertisers. There's some hilarious wishful thinking on here.

It is obviously not a major consideration to most advertisers but I would not say that it necessarily has a 0% impact on every advertiser at all times either. Advertisers appreciate useful data to promote their products/services and some might consider it similar to a niche station. Tourism interests like transport carriers, hotels, B&Bs, restaurants, heritage attractions etc; might welcome this unique listenership demographic and a lot who still have strong family links to Ireland and UK.

I bet you are willing to lay money...the question is how much money (one cent!):D

Advertisers do not like unquantifiable listenership claims and won't advertise when that's all the is. As 252 is not in RAJAR, that's all there is.

Nobody is advertising on Radio 1 due to 252. There won't be a JNLR listener drop either.

You obviously don't know how dear advertising on R1 is if you think niche interests can even afford it in the first place

L1011 wrote: »
    Advertisers do not like unquantifiable listenership claims and won't advertise when that's all the is. As 252 is not in RAJAR, that's all there is.

Nobody is advertising on Radio 1 due to 252. There won't be a JNLR listener drop either.

You obviously don't know how dear advertising on R1 is if you think niche interests can even afford it in the first place

Of course advertisers would tend to base their decisions on independent verifiable data statistics from reputable sources such as the Joint National Listenership Research survey where the medium of radio is concerned in this state. I would accept this point having worked in advertising sales myself for a well known large media organisation in the past.

Your claim that nobody is advertising on Radio 1 due to 252 is possible but by no means certain. Have you personally surveyed every single advertiser that has placed advert slots with the station ever since RTÉ Radio 1 was also broadcast on LW 252KHz?

Your final assumption about what you think you know about me is utter nonsense. I do NOT recall indicating anywhere in this forum that advertising on Radio 1 was cheap or affordable for any interests be it niche or otherwise! I would not have expected RTÉ Radio 1 to have low rates given their audience size and prime position. Give me a break!

Would you kindly stop second-guessing me especially if you have no verifiable factual data to back up your assumptions as it adds very little credibility to this debate.

I understand RTE will be making an An Announcement in the next 3-5 days. My guess is the " their only lifeline" crowd won't be happy.

Well the 3-5 days period of time has already passed since you posted the above prediction. It would now appear that your source of information for your so called "An Announcement" has not been a reliable or accurate one - in terms of timing anyway. All starting to look like a bit like wishful thinking on your part.

It sure looks like the only crowd who are unhappy right now are those attempting to torment those who have been lobbying for the retention of RTÉ RADIO 1 on LW252KHz

Re: "announcements". This was posted on the Indo website on Thursday.

http://m.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/rte-defers-closure-of-longwave-service-until-new-year-30668321.html

Seems January 19th is still d-day.

The Indo does its best to stick the boot in on RTE of course, no change there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Turn it off and be done with it. BBC are slowly turning off LW services in the UK. All the money can be invested in the roll out of digital radio services.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

bbability wrote: »
    Turn it off and be done with it. BBC are slowly turning off LW services in the UK.

You can't 'slowly turn it off' when there's only one service.
    All the money can be invested in the roll out of digital radio services.

The costs of transmitting digital are far higher, this is one of the reasons commercial stations in either here or in the UK don't want it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You can't 'slowly turn it off' when there's only one service.

By over time he means that the BBC have done so over a number of years. 198LW remains on but even it's days are numbered as spare valves are seemingly non existent.

• Advertisement

Local MW is going through a stage of test closures for the 2nd time. A number of BBC stations are transmitting loop announcements.

Advertisement