Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 on 252!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

In theory it seems a simple constructive approach, however this analogy is rather naive to put it mildly and lacks serious credibility for many in the senior citizens category. Many do not have a mobile phone and those who do possess one, can often just about take/receive calls. Yeah you will occasionally get someone more advanced who can even send a text message but I think if you expect the typical 75 year olds in England to get their heads around tablets/smartphones you really need to meet more elderly folk because I do not think they are any more advanced than 75 year olds in this country.

That said, I would concur that younger children can often learn a lot if encouraged to do so from an early age. People often say that kids brains are "like sponges" when it comes to learning and knowledge. In fact, my nephew aged 3½ can do a lot and even show his older sisters (aged 8½ & 5½) how to do certain things on his mother's smartphone which astonishes his parents as his sisters cannot work it out. She used give him her phone to play a game and he can often show her how some things work on her own phone.

As for the flyer campaign - it is a positive thing to do and RTÉ should not abdicate in their responsibility to listeners of their services if they choose to make changes going forward. It could be done in partnership with bodies involved in promoting Irish traditions and culture.

I'm sure youre a well meaning person but boy I'm so glad you're im not a senior citizen with you fighting my corner. You would have me boxed up and burried in no time.
    I'm frankly shocked at your attitude towards what the elderly can and cannot do. I know enough elderly people to know, that with a little assistance, they are capable of learning enough about new technologies to get by.

I say I'm shocked but I shouldn't be. The whole campaign is based on negitivity.
    Every solution is knocked back.
    The LW *is* going off and at some stage you lot are going to have to get into the real world.
    Stop putting down the abilities of those you are supposed to be defending. Channel some of your negativity into helping the people instead of constantly thinking of reasons why it won't work.

I know it's not your intention but your doing nobody any favours.

As far as I'm aware the "FREEVIEW" system is not universally available to all UK television licence holders as it depends on local transmitters.
    Of these two digital tv platforms "FREESAT" is probably the better option. Those who already have a Sky Digital subscription or Freesat from Sky system can receive RTÉ Radio 1 on EPG Channel No. 0160
    Freeview is more widely available than 252 LW in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I'm sure youre a well meaning person but boy I'm so glad you're im not a senior citizen with you fighting my corner. You would have me boxed up and burried in no time.
    I'm frankly shocked at your attitude towards what the elderly can and cannot do. I know enough elderly people to know, that with a little assistance, they are capable of learning enough about new technologies to get by.

I say I'm shocked but I shouldn't be. The whole campaign is based on negitivity.
    Every solution is knocked back.
    The LW *is* going off and at some stage you lot are going to have to get into the real world.
    Stop putting down the abilities of those you are supposed to be defending. Channel some of your negativity into helping the people instead of constantly thinking of reasons why it won't work.

I know it's not your intention but your doing nobody any favours.
    what a load of rubbish, the fact is, they're are many elderly people who will struggle with new technologies, thats nobodies fault and its not putting people down, its fact. i'm shocked at the fact people refuse to grasp this in their attempt to either show contempt for, or support the taking of this vital link to home from our elderly boys and girls in britain. they're is no "real world" to get in to, the campain might succeed and then again it might not, but anyone who tries to make sure this vital service isn't taken from the elderly irish in britain gets my praise and anything should be used to try make it succeed. the sollutions are being knocked back and classed as unworkable for the simple reason they are expensive to those surviving on a state pension in the UK. if they were workable, they wouldn't be knocked back. end of

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ross_95

As far as I'm aware the "FREEVIEW" system is not universally available to all UK television licence holders as it depends on local transmitters.
    Of these two digital tv platforms "FREESAT" is probably the better option. Those who already have a Sky Digital subscription or Freesat from Sky system can receive RTÉ Radio 1 on EPG Channel No. 0160
    Rte radio one is already on freesat. sky and cable tv in the uk, my point was i presume most of the elderly people being referred to would be freeview users ?

what a load of rubbish, the fact is, they're are many elderly people who will struggle with new technologies, thats nobodies fault and its not putting people down, its fact. i'm shocked at the fact people refuse to grasp this in their attempt to either show contempt for, or support the taking of this vital link to home from our elderly boys and girls in britain. they're is no "real world" to get in to, the campain might succeed and then again it might not, but anyone who tries to make sure this vital service isn't taken from the elderly irish in britain gets my praise and anything should be used to try make it succeed. the sollutions are being knocked back and classed as unworkable for the simple reason they are expensive to those surviving on a state pension in the UK. if they were workable, they wouldn't be knocked back. end of
    You couldn't make up half of what you lot come out with.
    "surviving on a state pension", "struggling with new technologies".
    "vital link"

Not a single shred of evidence that anybody in Britain will be unable to listen to Rte has been offered up. Not one bit.

This campaign has nothing to do with the interests of those living in Britain. As you have proved, your more interested in finding reasons, all unfounded and not based on any "facts", as to why this people won't be able to listen to Rte once the LW is shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

"vital link"

Not a single shred of evidence that anybody in Britain will be unable to listen to Rte has been offered up. Not one bit.

This campaign has nothing to do with the interests of those living in Britain. As you have proved, your more interested in finding reasons, all unfounded and not based on any "facts", as to why this people won't be able to listen to Rte once the LW is shut down.

These options you speak of are cost free, or will be provided by RTE due to the savings in shutting 252, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Over 600,000 homes now have Saorview in Ireland. In fact more and more people are using this service to listen to RTE Radio Services. It's all about moving forward and educating people about new ways to listen. The older generation are most definitely clued in to new radio. Take for example the recent move of Ireland's Biggest Jukebox from RTE 2FM to RTE Gold. It's spreading like wildfire. People are retuning to RTE Gold every Sunday all over the country and all over the world. It's the likes of these shows that attract an older audience that will help spread the word that there are other alternatives to listen to radio in proper audio format. Although I do believe 252 should offer more variety of radio from across the RTE Radio Network not just RTE Radio 1

exactly. you couldn't make any of it up because its not made up, its true.
    "vital link"

yes. all true. many elderly people may struggle with new technologies and its unreasonable to effectively bully them into doing so, and to fork out the cost when they are surviving on a state pension. also 252 is a strategically and vitally important link to home for our elderly men and women in the UK who sadly had to leave home to better themselves and their children all those years ago.

a hell of a lot of evidence, that people in the UK won't be able to listen to RTE, a vital link to the homeland, has been offered up
    This campaign has nothing to do with the interests of those living in Britain.

it has everything to do with the interests of our elderly men and women living in the UK who left their homeland all those years ago to better the lives of themselves and their children.
    As you have proved, your more interested in finding reasons, all unfounded and not based on any "facts", as to why this people won't be able to listen to Rte once the LW is shut down.

As we have proved, were more interested in telling the reasons, all proven and based on facts, as to why these people won't be able to listen to Rte once the LW is shut down

Banjoxed wrote: »
    These options you speak of are cost free, or will be provided by RTE due to the savings in shutting 252, yes?

Nothing is free. Unfortunately the number of people availing of the service, while also able to listen via other means, makes it no longer viable. Its all about numbers. Such is life.

exactly. you couldn't make any of it up because its not made up, its true.

yes. all true. many elderly people may struggle with new technologies and its unreasonable to effectively bully them into doing so, and to fork out the cost when they are surviving on a state pension. also 252 is a strategically and vitally important link to home for our elderly men and women in the UK who sadly had to leave home to better themselves and their children all those years ago.

a hell of a lot of evidence, that people in the UK won't be able to listen to RTE, a vital link to the homeland, has been offered up

it has everything to do with the interests of our elderly men and women living in the UK who left their homeland all those years ago to better the lives of themselves and their children.

As we have proved, were more interested in telling the reasons, all proven and based on facts, as to why these people won't be able to listen to Rte once the LW is shut down

You've proved nothing of the sort.

• Advertisement

You've proved nothing of the sort.
    yes they have. pages and pages of it

Oh well. That answers that;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Banjoxed wrote: »

I can't get the link to the said article to work on either my phone or the PC.
    Could you paste the relevant text please.

Have you a link to the proof?

Have you a link to the proof?
    i have yes. its this exact thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

Another letter in the Irish Examiner yesterday:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/yourview/rte-cannot-ignore-their-older-overseas-listeners-with-lw-closure-297182.html

and mentioning the issue of car listening (obviously in Britain and Northern Ireland beyond FM coverage) - in cars is where many people do most of their radio listening. Though the cause of RTE on 252 hasn't been helped by major car manufacturers - VW (for several years) and more recently Toyota, Opel leaving out LW coverage in their car radios sold here and in the UK

In the USA, broadcasters have recently complained to BMW about MW being left out on certain vehicles:

http://www.c2meworld.com/commerce/nab-asks-bmw-to-rethink-leaving-out-am-for-i3/

In contrast I seriously doubt that RTE has ever expressed concern to Volkswagen etc about no coverage of LW on car radios sold here and in the UK, so 252 must not have been seen as being something there for the long haul.

I admit, I didn't see that that coming :0

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have a very odd definition of "proof" (to go along with "entitled")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Antenna wrote: »
    In contrast I seriously doubt that RTE has ever expressed concern to Volkswagen etc about no coverage of LW on car radios sold here and in the UK, so 252 must not have been seen as being something there for the long haul.

I wouldn't read too much into that, seriously doubt any car manufacturer would care what RTE think anyway so they'd be wasting everyone's time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I wouldn't read too much into that, seriously doubt any car manufacturer would care what RTE think anyway so they'd be wasting everyone's time.

Perhaps although; maybe not... If you think about car manufacturers having to adhere to the requirements in relation to Right-Hand-Drive vehicles for just the UK and Ireland unlike the rest of Europe even though we are all in the European Union for many years. Special exceptions are made all the time for various reasons particularly in major purchases, probably mainly for marketing purposes as a sales tool that is likely to be valued and welcomed in certain regions. These things do not always follow straight forward patterns. Then if you look at a specific car manufacturer which has different branding for certain countries such as General Motors in USA/Australia, Opel in most of Europe and Vauxhall in the UK only.

Then consider that one of the world's major broadcasters still has an important presence in the form of BBC Radio 4 on LW 198KHz longwave, maybe RTÉ should have reminded the manufacturers of the merits of including the LW band in car stereo sets for the foreseeable future as these are effectively the main national public service broadcasting radio stations across the whole of the UK and Ireland. DAB has not reached sufficient population and FM can still be a problem in some rural areas.

Perhaps although; maybe not... If you think about car manufacturers having to adhere to the requirements in relation to Right-Hand-Drive vehicles for just the UK and Ireland unlike the rest of Europe even though we are all in the European Union for many years. Special exceptions are made all the time for various reasons particularly in major purchases, probably mainly for marketing purposes as a sales tool that is likely to be valued and welcomed in certain regions. These things do not always follow straight forward patterns. Then if you look at a specific car manufacturer which has different branding for certain countries such as General Motors in USA/Australia, Opel in most of Europe and Vauxhall in the UK only.

Then consider that one of the world's major broadcasters still has an important presence in the form of BBC Radio 4 on LW 198KHz longwave, maybe RTÉ should have reminded the manufacturers of the merits of including the LW band in car stereo sets for the foreseeable future as these are effectively the main national public service broadcasting radio stations across the whole of the UK and Ireland. DAB has not reached sufficient population and FM can still be a problem in some rural areas.

That's all wonderful digression.

The reality is, if the national broadcaster in one of the smallest countries in Europe asked a car manufacturer to change their designs to accommodate a tiny minority of that broadcaster's audience, they'd be laughed out of the building.

And of course, bbc radio 4 on lw is on borrowed time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

That's all wonderful digression.

The reality is, if the national broadcaster in one of the smallest countries in Europe asked a car manufacturer to change their designs to accommodate a tiny minority of that broadcaster's audience, they'd be laughed out of the building.

And of course, bbc radio 4 on lw is on borrowed time too.
    its not a car design, its a radio configuration/ specification

and, if they specified that all cars must have DAB (or LW) then the car manufacturers (more specifically, the entertainment equiment suppliers) would just get on with it and do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

No disrespect but BBC R4 and RTE R1 are in two different leagues. BBC R4. I'm not worried about my car having LW to pick up either. There are other ways to listen, more modern ways.

its not a car design, its a radio configuration/ specification

and, if they specified that all cars must have DAB (or LW) then the car manufacturers (more specifically, the entertainment equiment suppliers) would just get on with it and do it

Who are "they"? RTE? The government?

The point is still valid, the car manufacturers would look at the numbers and say, "no-one wants LW in their car, it's dead technology, we're not doing it for the sake of a tiny number of people in one very small market" and that would be that.

It's just not a realistic suggestion, that's all.

bbability wrote: »
    No disrespect but BBC R4 and RTE R1 are in two different leagues. BBC R4. I'm not worried about my car having LW to pick up either. There are other ways to listen, more modern ways.
    which are not accessable to everyone

Who are "they"? RTE? The government?

The point is still valid, the car manufacturers would look at the numbers and say, "no-one wants LW in their car, it's dead technology, we're not doing it for the sake of a tiny number of people in one very small market" and that would be that.

It's just not a realistic suggestion, that's all.
    they will do as they are told. it costs them nothing to implement LW.

Told by whom??

This is getting stranger by the minute.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What control do you think RTE has over car makers exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

bbability wrote: »

I was listening to Today on BBC R4 in the car .. in Dublin city centre this morning - coming in loud and clear on 720 AM

Advertisement