Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 on 252!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

yes it is

Good grief!
    Nobody is "entitled" to listen to RTE "on the move" outside of Ireland.
    This is getting daft now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Good grief!
    Nobody is "entitled" to listen to RTE "on the move" outside of Ireland.
    This is getting daft now.
    they are. its the irish state broadcaster, by the irish for the irish wherever they may be. and if this vital link makes things easier for our boys and girls who had to leave their home all those years ago to maintain a link with the homeland then its worth the money and should be retained

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Longwave Listener

they are. its the irish state broadcaster, by the irish for the irish wherever they may be. and if this vital link makes things easier for our boys and girls who had to leave their home all those years ago to maintain a link with the homeland then its worth the money and should be retained

And how many more years should RTE keep longwave going for people who are "unable" to listen to Radio 1 by other means in the Uk ? 10 more years ? 20 years ? 40 years ?

So what about the Irish in Austrialia, or America?
    Using. your "logic", RTE should have terristial transmitters so these people can listen to RTE on the move.
    In this age, anybody can listen to RTE, if they so wish, almost anywhere, but its not an entitlement.

Using. your "logic", RTE should have terristial transmitters so these people can listen to RTE on the move.
    In this age, anybody can listen to RTE, if they so wish, almost anywhere, but its not an entitlement.
    well i disagree and say it is . i'm not changing from that. so we'l have to agree to disagree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I think the close geographic proximity of the UK and the large numbers of 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation Irish make it sensible to maintain the link on the Longwave platform (particularly those in the OAP/senior citizen category) and gradually over a longer time frame it could be phased out in favour of the digital methods. As RTÉ are NOT currently broadcasting via the traditional methods via transmitter directly to places such as USA/Australia then I would not expect RTÉ to commence something while they have the other digital methods in place.

However; I see it as different to listeners who currently receive the existing service via Long Wave in places closer to home such as Northern Ireland, Great Britain, Isle of Man, Channel Islands and Western Europe.

The initial advance shut down notice for RTÉ Radio 1 LW252 of just 4 weeks to those listeners accustomed to using the service was inconsiderate and was only rolled back after an active lobbying campaign was launched.

If you read that article it's not as simple as you make it out to be.

It states that RTE are looking at offering services within the UK (It doesn't say a new channel per se; it could also be a relay of RTE's 1 and 2.), that they feel that Sky and UPC should pay them to carry their channels, that they hope to sell ad time on the digital relays within Northern Ireland and that they wish to respond to to the localised ad selling by UK stations within the Irish Market.

In other words, they are considering this on a purely commercial exercise and not as some duty to be an outreach to the Irish diaspora.

Losty, I did read the article so you didn't really need to break it down for me as my level of the english language is pretty good! I would suspect that RTÉ have obligations to promote Irish culture beyond these shores and cannot be exclusively run on a commercial basis being Ireland's national public service broadcaster although, we all know this is the way they would prefer to operate. I would go into further detail but it is the wrong forum to do so here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Care to explain such a stupid comment or are you trolling?

Do you believe we have zero responsibility for the Irish outside the borders of the State?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Do you believe we have zero responsibility for the Irish outside the borders of the State?

They have access to more RTE content than ever before.

They have access to more RTE content than ever before.

"they"? Like this lady?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/sense-of-home-will-be-lost-with-longwave-296453.html#.VF321cv1U0A.twitter

I'm waiting for the usual Libertarian claptrap along the lines of that it would be cheaper to buy all those dependent on LW252 for a connection to home a Freesat receiver. Now, why hasn't that been trotted out yet?

• Advertisement

"they"? Like this lady?

I'm waiting for the usual Libertarian claptrap along the lines of that it would be cheaper to buy all those dependent on LW252 for a connection to home a Freesat receiver. Now, why hasn't that been trotted out yet?

Interesting that that lady says she listens to the Marion Finucane show, even though the sunday edition of the Marion Finucane show isn't even broadcast on longwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Interesting that that lady says she listens to the Marion Finucane show, even though the sunday edition of the Marion Finucane show isn't even broadcast on longwave.

Part of it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Part of it is.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Part of it is.

Nope, I was listening 8 days ago and i got 11am-11.45am Catholic Mass, 11.45am-12.30pm Church of Ireland Service, 12.30-1pm Micheal Coymyn interviewing a Nun about her work in africa and ebola

Back in 2008 the exact same people, politicians, anoraks were saying the exact same things about peoples only lifeline beings cut off forever when Medium wave was being closed down. Don't know why RTE weren't more prepared to defend themselves tbh.

Back in 2008 the exact same people, politicians, anoraks were saying the exact same things about peoples only lifeline beings cut off forever when Medium wave was being closed down. Don't know why RTE weren't more prepared to defend themselves tbh.
    because they aren't entitled to. they have no deffence. and obviously 567 was a lifeline to many people who believed that what it offered wasn't and couldn't have been put on 252. it was, therefore 252 became the lifeline.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

because they aren't entitled to. they have no deffence. and obviously 567 was a lifeline to many people who believed that what it offered wasn't and couldn't have been put on 252. it was, therefore 252 became the lifeline.

Can you explain what your definition of "entitled" is, as you've clearly been using it to mean something completely different to its dictionary definition over the last few pages?

"they"? Like this lady?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/sense-of-home-will-be-lost-with-longwave-296453.html#.VF321cv1U0A.twitter

Im sure she could use an internet radio.

No I dont.
    The means of listening to RTE by other means already exist.
    The only people who refuse to accept this are those who are the campaigners.
    Aside from the radio, there are other means of keeping in touch with events back home. My mother, who lives abroad, doesnt bother with RTE, choosing instead to buy the Irish Times.

The idea perpetuated by the campaign that Irish abroad will be neglected is pure scare tactics.

No I dont.
    The means of listening to RTE by other means already exist.
    The only people who refuse to accept this are those who are the campaigners.
    Aside from the radio, there are other means of keeping in touch with events back home. My mother, who lives abroad, doesnt bother with RTE, choosing instead to buy the Irish Times.

The idea perpetuated by the campaign that Irish abroad will be neglected is pure scare tactics.

Of course you are correct when you say that there are other means that already exist at listening to RTÉ Radio 1. I've never suggested otherwise however; some of those in favour of maintaining the LW252 link do so knowing that many of the listeners to the existing longwave service are in the senior citizen age group category and many of these are not in the Internet Radio/Satellite TV/Mobile App zone, to be fair. They also got 4 weeks notice initially which RTÉ eventually had to roll back because they originally had little or no clue about the needs of this particular audience tuning in via LW252. I can only imagine the extent of the research they carried out beforehand.

If you think that it is a straight-forward switch over to digital for most in this age group then you are extremely naive as maybe the odd senior citizen will manage to make the change but most will find it quite challenging and rather expensive if they are surviving on just a state pension.

In the 1980s/1990s I recall my father used constantly re-tune our radio set to RTÉ Radio 1 via Medium Wave on 729KHz especially if I had been previously listening to the then RTÉ Radio 2FM on 91.4FM - He could never understand that RTÉ Radio 1 had much better reception on 89.2 FM but would still switch back from FM to MW as he always knew that RTÉ was to be found on MW at 729KHz (or 567KHz if RTÉ Cork Local Radio was broadcasting in our local area). I guess my point is that I'm not an anorak - I know the merits about cost saving and better standards on digital platforms but unless those older listeners have younger folk who can be there to assist them, it is a very big deal for them as they cannot change their ways as fast as some of us can. RTÉ were forced to revisit the deadline because they did not anticipate such a backlash I suspect.

• Advertisement

Of course you are correct when you say that there are other means that already exist at listening to RTÉ Radio 1. I've never suggested otherwise however; some of those in favour of maintaining the LW252 link do so knowing that many of the listeners to the existing longwave service are in the senior citizen age group category and many of these are not in the Internet Radio/Satellite TV/Mobile App zone, to be fair. They also got 4 weeks notice initially which RTÉ eventually had to roll back because they originally had little or no clue about the needs of this particular audience tuning in via LW252. I can only imagine the extent of the research they carried out beforehand.

If you think that it is a straight-forward switch over to digital for most in this age group then you are extremely naive as maybe the odd senior citizen will manage to make the change but most will find it quite challenging and rather expensive if they are surviving on just a state pension.

In the 1980s/1990s I recall my father used constantly re-tune our radio set to RTÉ Radio 1 via Medium Wave on 729KHz especially if I had been previously listening to the then RTÉ Radio 2FM on 91.4FM - He could never understand that RTÉ Radio 1 had much better reception on 89.2 FM but would still switch back from FM to MW as he always knew that RTÉ was to be found on MW at 729KHz (or 567KHz if RTÉ Cork Local Radio was broadcasting in our local area). I guess my point is that I'm not an anorak - I know the merits about cost saving and better standards on digital platforms but unless those older listeners have younger folk who can be there to assist them, it is a very big deal for them as they cannot change their ways as fast as some of us can. RTÉ were forced to revisit the deadline because they did not anticipate such a backlash I suspect.

They found 252 longwave though didn't they ? The same people behind the current campaign were saying 6 years ago that moving to longwave would be more or less impossible for senior citizens.

They found 252 longwave though didn't they ? The same people behind the current campaign were saying 6 years ago that moving to longwave would be more or less impossible for senior citizens.

There was one advantage though; they didn't have to buy new radios for the most part.

In any case it isn't us being deprived of RTE Radio 1; it's a generation who were mostly at the bottom of the heap in this country before they left. It's funny how some of the well-heeled in this State still have contempt for them, even now.

Well I cannot speak for others involved in the previous campaign you referenced and I never took part directly or indirectly for the retention of MW as I felt the option for LW did not involve such a massive leap for listeners including those in the older age category when compared to the changes they are asking the same audience to make as a result of this decision.

I also think the complete switch off of LW252 in favour of digital only platforms for those who rely on the LW service needed a much longer lead-in time. They could have been a lot more pro-active in assisting those on how they could make the change over a 12 month period.

Given that many of these people are not internet/satellite/mobile app savy they could have had a campaign inviting listeners to send in a stamp self-addressed envelope by post to RTÉ if they wanted easy to understand step by step details on how exactly they can make the change prior to the closure.

This is not rocket science - it is knowing your audience and their requirements keeping in mind their age profile and spending power and so on and so forth. This data should be available as advertisers require it before choosing where to purchase airtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>Given that many of these people are not internet/satellite/mobile app savy they could have had a campaign inviting listeners to send in a stamp self-addressed envelope by post to RTÉ if they wanted easy to understand step by step details on how exactly they can make the change prior to the closure.

This is not rocket science - it is knowing your audience and their requirements keeping in mind their age profile and spending power and so on and so forth. This data should be available as advertisers require it before choosing where to purchase airtime.
    a flyer campaign in association with churches, GAA and social centres in Britain would be possibly more effective.
    Once they know the thing is going and have a hint as to where to get a solution then they can get someone of a younger generation to help out.

Its funny. I see with my young kids (<5) and 75+year old parents that tablets/ smartphones are intuitive but laptops very much a frustrating puzzlement.

If they can figure it out then a 75year old in England can too

a flyer campaign in association with churches, GAA and social centres in Britain would be possibly more effective.
    Once they know the thing is going and have a hint as to where to get a solution then they can get someone of a younger generation to help out.

Its funny. I see with my young kids (<5) and 75+year old parents that tablets/ smartphones are intuitive but laptops very much a frustrating puzzlement.

untrue. kids easily adapt to new technologies. just because they can work them doesn't mean a 75 year old will. a few might, many may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

untrue. kids easily adapt to new technologies. just because they can work them doesn't mean a 75 year old will. a few might, many may not.
    my 75 year old dad has no problems with using an ipad.
    The mother a couple of years younger also no problem.
    The laptop was the most confusing thing they ever owned, which is WHY they now have an ipad! Its permanently connected to the web. Permanently on. All they need to do is keep it charged and press a few buttons.

Regarding the irish in britain, during the 60s and 70s, many of the people who are now pensioners were involved in very complicated building projects for motorways and tube tunnels.
    (nice documentary here on the digging of the victoria line, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00sc29t/how-they-dug-the-victoria-line which specifically mentions that virtually all workers were irish)
    Now, these smart folks surely can use an ipad too, just like my bus pass wielding parents can.

my 75 year old dad has no problems with using an ipad.
    The mother a couple of years younger also no problem.
    The laptop was the most confusing thing they ever owned, which is WHY they now have an ipad! Its permanently connected to the web. Permanently on. All they need to do is keep it charged and press a few buttons.

Regarding the irish in britain, during the 60s and 70s, many of the people who are now pensioners were involved in very complicated building projects for motorways and tube tunnels.
    (nice documentary here on the digging of the victoria line, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00sc29t/how-they-dug-the-victoria-line which specifically mentions that virtually all workers were irish)
    Now, these smart folks surely can use an ipad too, just like my bus pass wielding parents can.

the fact they were involved in construction means nothing and is irrelevant in terms of this discussion, as it doesn't mean they will be able to work modern day technology. just because your parents can work it doesn't mean all around that age can. the world doesn't work like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ross_95

How much would it cost rte to put radio one on freeview in the uk ? That way everyone with a television would be able to listen to them.

In theory it seems a simple constructive approach, however this analogy is rather naive to put it mildly and lacks serious credibility for many in the senior citizens category. Many do not have a mobile phone and those who do possess one, can often just about take/receive calls. Yeah you will occasionally get someone more advanced who can even send a text message but I think if you expect the typical 75 year olds in England to get their heads around tablets/smartphones you really need to meet more elderly folk because I do not think they are any more advanced than 75 year olds in this country.

That said, I would concur that younger children can often learn a lot if encouraged to do so from an early age. People often say that kids brains are "like sponges" when it comes to learning and knowledge. In fact, my nephew aged 3½ can do a lot and even show his older sisters (aged 8½ & 5½) how to do certain things on his mother's smartphone which astonishes his parents as his sisters cannot work it out. She used give him her phone to play a game and he can often show her how some things work on her own phone.

As for the flyer campaign - it is a positive thing to do and RTÉ should not abdicate in their responsibility to listeners of their services if they choose to make changes going forward. It could be done in partnership with bodies involved in promoting Irish traditions and culture.

• Advertisement

Ross_95 wrote: »
    How much would it cost rte to put radio one on freeview in the uk ? That way everyone with a television would be able to listen to them.

As far as I'm aware the "FREEVIEW" system is not universally available to all UK television licence holders as it depends on local transmitters.
    Of these two digital tv platforms "FREESAT" is probably the better option. Those who already have a Sky Digital subscription or Freesat from Sky system can receive RTÉ Radio 1 on EPG Channel No. 0160

Advertisement