Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 on 252!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Put up a photo for posterity?

DSCF0529.JPG

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Article in Today's IT
    http://tinyurl.com/q5tft3f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Article in Today's IT
    http://tinyurl.com/q5tft3f

I don't get people calling for the closedown to be Postponed, whether it's 2 weeks or two years time there won't be another analogue radio platform for RTE R1 in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

from another thread on the matter, RTE seemingly acknowledging that their suggestion of alternatives depends on your geography
    Karsini wrote: »
    A revised announcement was transmitted on the stroke of midnight, which said "please note that RTE Radio 1 is not available on FM or DAB outside the island of Ireland".

• Advertisement

Jesus H christ, I am just listening back now to the head of rte radio Jim Jennings on the today show this morning talking about this, he doesn't have a clue what he is saying, he also mumbled that they might deley the switch off date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Jesus H christ, I am just listening back now to the head of rte radio Jim Jennings on the today show this morning talking about this, he doesn't have a clue what he is saying, he also mumbled that they might deley the switch off date.
    heres the link to the audio:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20664400%3A15036%3A14%2D10%2D2014%3A&type=radio

also in studio was head of GAA in Britain and someone from New York who has an organisation called Global Irish that does some class of emmigrant liason.

The saving by shutting the station is 1/4 a million Euro per year according to RTE head, so WAY less than the 1million plus in the last available accounts.

[/url]

The saving by shutting the station is 1/4 a million Euro per year according to RTE head, so WAY less than the 1million plus in the last available accounts.

Apparently they have cut the power to 50-100kw recently so that would explain the fall in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Rock Solid

It is essential that 252 be kept on air even at low power, it serves areas where Fm and Dab are weak, I often listen to it when driving around remote parts of the country such as Donegal and Kerry and Cork and mountain areas of Ireland, its clear west of France and north Spain, also shipping rely on it for news and weather reports etc, the elderly are not all upto date with technology and rely on 252LW.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Rock Solid wrote: »
    also shipping rely on it for news and weather reports etc,

They don't rely on LW or even RTE FM for weather reports. They obtain weather reports via marine radio channels from the Coast Guard.

• Advertisement

I would be very shocked if rte did a u-turn on this, the 2fm schedule changes last spring got a much much bigger negative response from the public.

The people who have come out of the woodwork in recent days wanting 252 to be kept on air, were campaigning for mw to be kept on 6 years ago, saying at the time that lw was useless in london and that oaps would never be able to find R1 on 252.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Rock Solid wrote: »
    It is essential that 252 be kept on air even at low power, it serves areas where Fm and Dab are weak, I often listen to it when driving around remote parts of the country such as Donegal and Kerry and Cork and mountain areas of Ireland, its clear west of France and north Spain, also shipping rely on it for news and weather reports etc, the elderly are not all upto date with technology and rely on 252LW.

That seems unlikely if there's a transmitter on the north coast of Algeria broadcasting on the same frequency at ten times the power. And even if it is available in France or Spain, why is this something we should be maintaining?

As pointed out, it is of no value to shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Infoanon

That seems unlikely if there's a transmitter on the north coast of Algeria broadcasting on the same frequency at ten times the power..

To confirm RTE can be heard on LW in the West of France - interference is only at night time from Chaine 1 Algeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I would be very shocked if rte did a u-turn on this, the 2fm schedule changes last spring got a much much bigger negative response from the public.

Congratulations. You got post no.252

That Noreen Bowden one who was on with sean o'rourke this morning seems to be a major crank, here is the guff she was writting about the mw shutdown back in 08 http://www.globalirish.ie/2008/ean-press-release-on-rte-medium-wave-shutdown/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

"FM requires retuning as one travels through the country, which is the type of distraction that has been a proven factor in car accidents."

She's right. FM should be banned completely to cut the carnage on our roads!

Word on twitter is they are kicking the closedown date forward to January 19th. Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

That Noreen Bowden one who was on with sean o'rourke this morning seems to be a major crank, here is the guff she was writting about the mw shutdown back in 08 http://www.globalirish.ie/2008/ean-press-release-on-rte-medium-wave-shutdown/

This one is my favourite:
    People with limited vision – the FM dial is cluttered with stations. Tuning RTE in on MW is simple.

Very hard to take her seriously after that.

Now that rte have strangely given in to a few complaints (probably all from cranks) and postponed the switch off untill January 19th, What can they really do in that time ? Put R1 on freeview ? give aid to irish oaps in uk to install freesat ? give aid to them to buy a smartphone ?

• Advertisement

Funnily enough RTE also postponed the date of launching R1 on 252 a number of times over a decade ago http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113296

Now that rte have strangely given in to a few complaints (probably all from cranks) and postponed the switch off untill January 19th, What can they really do in that time ? Put R1 on freeview ? give aid to irish oaps in uk to install freesat ? give aid to them to buy a smartphone ?

Why does it seem to bother you that RTÉ have decided to extend the life of its 252 service?
    You're obviously not affected, but there are a number of Irish radio listeners in NI, GB, parts of Europe that are .. so long live 252 (if you ask me).

Why does it seem to bother you that RTE

Because i am a tv licence payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

So am I. I used to do a lot off commuting north a and south of the border. 252 worked very well for that purpose even in city center Belfast. Otherwise it was BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Infoanon

252 LW switch off postponed to at least January. ..

Infoanon wrote: »

from The IT http://tinyurl.com/p5xcnbe

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Rock Solid

Well watch your T. V. then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Cheerio, closed account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Infoanon wrote: »

Hopefully this will be quietly dropped come January, it's obviously been greatly underestimated just how popular this service actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Looking at the University of Twente WebSDR tonight and it seems as if Algeria is back on 252, although the interference isn't too bad. What makes listening difficult is carriers on 248 and 249kHz causing whistles, anyone else pick these up?

Advertisement