Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Lemlin wrote: »
    Well said. It's a great pity he never got his hands on an elusive All Ireland. He is one player who truly deserved it.

Like father like son. I doubt he'll let it define him.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Earley will be considered one of the best midfielders kildare have ever had. Its a pity that injury plagued him for the past few years. That said he went through alot of operations and pain just to pull on a white shirt. Lesser men would have thrown in the towel years ago.
    I hope that he stays in the kildare set up for the future.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Sad to see Earley being forced to retire - read an article about him this week and how the injuries have completely crippled him, so much so that he could hardly walk. Pity he is not ending it on his terms, but thats the way things go unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Hope Dermot mantains a presence in the dressing room, an inspiration to many players on the panel. An absolute gent, I wish him all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭celt262

Did Johnston play for St Kevins in Kildare Championship last weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

celt262 wrote: »
    Did Johnston play for St Kevins in Kildare Championship last weekend?

No.

No.

I had heard a story but didn't know if it was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Kinder Bueno

What was the story?

What was the story?

That he didn't bother going to the game and just sent a text message to management.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

No.

Very short answer there Klarion. You're usually well informed when it comes to the Kildare GAA scene.

Any truth in this rumour?

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    That he didn't bother going to the game and just sent a text message to management.
    If that's true, it's bad form. He did play a challenge game for Kildare against Waterford last week.

Annddd here comes Mr.Cavan..

Very short answer there Klarion. You're usually well informed when it comes to the Kildare GAA scene.

Any truth in this rumour?

It wouldn't be a surprise.

At a time when one of our greatest ever servants has retired, I cannot be bothered discussing Seanie Johnston all over again. People have made their beds, they'll have to lie in them now.

Great photo here of Earley and McGeeney going at it back in their day.

946709_131992706996452_1356744064_n.jpg

Great photo. The reaction to this announcement shows how the respect for Dermot transcends county rivalries, just like his father. It's a shame we won't see him in a white jersey soaring to the clouds to catch a kickout anymore.

093858.jpg

045006.jpg

436838.jpg

It wouldn't be a surprise.

At a time when one of our greatest ever servants has retired, I cannot be bothered discussing Seanie Johnston all over again. People have made their beds, they'll have to lie in them now.

You seem to hint at some discontent with Johnston's overall attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

DE was the featured guest on Monday nights Off The Ball. He was on for the first two hours of the show, talking about himself, his recent injury & retirement, and other sporting stories of the day. The podcast should be up on the Newstalk website soon, if its not up already. He acquitted himself well. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets invited back on a more frequent basis. He has a lot more to offer than that Parkinson muppet imo. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gaa1

Johnston didnt line out in the club championship because of hamstring injury. He also didnt play any part in the challenge match v Galway in moorefield either.
    http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2013/05/20/good-news-for-geezer-as-injury-worries-ease/ Mcgeeney talks about kildare's injuries including Seanies in this.
    Yawn its not 2012 move on.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    DE was the featured guest on Monday nights Off The Ball. He was on for the first two hours of the show, talking about himself, his recent injury & retirement, and other sporting stories of the day. The podcast should be up on the Newstalk website soon, if its not up already. He acquitted himself well. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets invited back on a more frequent basis. He has a lot more to offer than that Parkinson muppet imo. :rolleyes:

I'll look forward to hearing that, never knew he was on. He was on KFM this morning talking about his whole career. I've met him a couple of times and he is a total gent of a man. I really don't get the appeal of Colm Parkinson, the man was never a great footballer, he wouldn't be fit to lace Earley's boots.

KFM interview-http://kildaretoday.podomatic.com/entry/2013-05-20T06_02_06-07_00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Gaa1 wrote: »
    Johnston didnt line out in the club championship because of hamstring injury. He also didnt play any part in the challenge match v Galway in moorefield either.
    http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2013/05/20/good-news-for-geezer-as-injury-worries-ease/ Mcgeeney talks about kildare's injuries including Seanies in this.
    Yawn its not 2012 move on.

Is that you, Seanie!?

Anyways, yeah, there's always going to be a lot of black rumours floating around after the whole transfer business so I wouldn't believe much of anything I hear on that front without multiple confirmations.

I heard Johnston played a half during the challenge match against Waterford at the weekend. His availability for St Kevin's is their business alone but I would suggest they'll need him against Monasterevin or else they will be battling relegation again.

Leper played at centre back which is an interesting and potentially quite positive development. If he could solve that problem position Kildare would be in quite decent shape. Kildare play Roscommon either tonight or tomorrow night. The team captain for the championship will also be revealed before the Offaly match. The captaincy was rotated during the league.

• Advertisement

Seán Hurley thrown off the Kildare senior panel again it seems.

Seán Hurley thrown off the Kildare senior panel again it seems.

Is he the young lad attended Oxegen before?

Yes.

I'm not sure if he's gone indefinitely.

I heard Johnston played a half during the challenge match against Waterford at the weekend. His availability for St Kevin's is their business alone but I would suggest they'll need him against Monasterevin or else they will be battling relegation again.

Leper played at centre back which is an interesting and potentially quite positive development. If he could solve that problem position Kildare would be in quite decent shape. Kildare play Roscommon either tonight or tomorrow night. The team captain for the championship will also be revealed before the Offaly match. The captaincy was rotated during the league.

You said you wouldn't be surprised if Johnston had shown a poor attitude towards his club though, just wondering was there any reason behind you saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

You said you wouldn't be surprised if Johnston had shown a poor attitude towards his club though, just wondering was there any reason behind you saying that?

I know a guy in Kevin's and he said he was seriously annoyed over Johnstons availability for Kevin's.

Klairon has a point without Johnston Kevin's will have backs against the wall against monasterevin they are a lovely little footballing outfit.

Last thing we need is more Johnston crap though.

But my opinion is Johnston should have been left where he was. I am seriously against him taking a native Kildare mans spot. Although kavanagh is out this year doesn't matter we should be vetting kildare men for the counties future IMO.

I know a guy in Kevin's and he said he was seriously annoyed over Johnstons availability for Kevin's.

Klairon has a point without Johnston Kevin's will have backs against the wall against monasterevin they are a lovely little footballing outfit.

Last thing we need is more Johnston crap though.

But my opinion is Johnston should have been left where he was. I am seriously against him taking a native Kildare mans spot. Although kavanagh is out this year doesn't matter we should be vetting kildare men for the counties future IMO.

Your opinion has changed over the past twelve months then? Last year iirc you proclaimed Johnston a Lily and seemed to think he would be an asset. You also pointed to McGeeney stating Johnston had trained as hard as anyone in the panel.

To be honest, I always had my doubts that McGeeney was blowing smoke into the whole issue with that comment.

There are always going to be problems with a player living such a significant distance from the county.

I have no idea what Johnston's relationship with St Kevin's is like and it's their own business after all. Their manager was quoted in the local press that he was injured. I saw him play a few matches for them last year and he did not stand out as an inter-county player but I understand he had a good game in the relegation play-off.

As for his involvement with Kildare this summer, I think he will struggle to force his way into the team. Doyle is a certain starter in the full forward line and McGeeney will usually only pick one other inside forward in his teams - Johnston is not able to play a deeper role like many of the other Kildare players. If Smith shows a return to his 2012 form then I expect he will start. Johnston is probably a more accurate point kicker but Smith's workrate is better, he's a better ball winner and he's a greater goal threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Your opinion has changed over the past twelve months then? Last year iirc you proclaimed Johnston a Lily and seemed to think he would be an asset. You also pointed to McGeeney stating Johnston had trained as hard as anyone in the panel.

To be honest, I always had my doubts that McGeeney was blowing smoke into the whole issue with that comment.

There are always going to be problems with a player living such a significant distance from the county.

Nah my opinion to myself is the same. I bleed white and support the county team either way hence why I was saying seanie is a lily etc.

I know it's straffans business what goes on there but believe me it's not a bed if roses there.

I still don't think seanie has earned a starting place in the side and if smith is sacrificed to play Johnston ill be sick...

• Advertisement

Nah my opinion to myself is the same. I bleed white and support the county team either way hence why I was saying seanie is a lily etc.

I know it's straffans business what goes on there but believe me it's not a bed if roses there.

I still don't think seanie has earned a starting place in the side and if smith is sacrificed to play Johnston ill be sick...

So you portray one opinion on here yet have your own opinion which you keep to yourself? That doesn't really make sense tbh.

Why come onto an internet forum that's about posting your opinions and post an opinion which isn't your true opinion?

Advertisement