Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Shamozzle wrote: »
    I'd rather have a good football team than good grounds. Poor old Offaly.

pity you have neither ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Shamozzle

pity you have neither ;-)
    We just played a Div1 league semi-final at the weekend. Remind me what division Awfully are in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We just played a Div1 league semi-final at the weekend. Remind me what division Awfully are in?

You know exactly what div Offaly are in. But let me remind YOU of this:
    Any day I like I can talk to men with All Ireland medals, with National League medals, with minor All Ireland medals.....In football AND hurling.

You have a long way to go. Have you any idea what it's like to look up into the stand in Croke Park in Sept and see your friends, neighbours, and fellow countymen holding the ultimate prize aloft?

No. The O'Byrne cup just doesn't cut the mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Shamozzle

Bizzum wrote: »
    You know exactly what div Offaly are in. But let me remind YOU of this:
    Any day I like I can talk to men with All Ireland medals, with National League medals, with minor All Ireland medals.....In football AND hurling.

You have a long way to go. Have you any idea what it's like to look up into the stand in Croke Park in Sept and see your friends, neighbours, and fellow countymen holding the ultimate prize aloft?

No. The O'Byrne cup just doesn't cut the mustard.
    And look where you's are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

And look where you's are now.

If there was an award for worst comeback of the year, this would be nailed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Save it for the first of June gentlemen!

U21s unchanged from the Leinster Final for the All Ireland Semi Final tomorrow. If the lads go out and play their best it will take a very good team to beat them. Best of luck to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

Galway 2-10 kildare 2-5 whats this and big games with kildare??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

When you only get 7 scores and kick 18 wides you dont deserve to win any match.What the hell is wrong with Kildare , there seems to be a complete lack of composure in the forward line in the senior team and the same applied to the u-21s today.Players taking hail mary shots constantly when if they had a little patience they could have worked a better shooting position for another forward.
    There was a huge contrast between Kildare and Galway every time Galway went forward they looked like they were going to score and their forward line had some cohesion and patience which Kildares forward line lacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Same old story. Just not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Forget supporter numbers, forget muscle and athleticism, the better gaelic footballers won the day. I cannot for the life of me understand how Kildare were such heavy favourites today and to win the All Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

aramush wrote: »
    Forget supporter numbers, forget muscle and athleticism, the better gaelic footballers won the day. I cannot for the life of me understand how Kildare were such heavy favourites today and to win the All Ireland?

Probably looked a lot better slogging in the wet and muck.
    Were shown up today with dry ground and ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

aramush wrote: »

The bookies don't tend to have a clue at this level. For example, first Tyrone were strong Ulster favourites. They lost to Donegal so Donegal were made favourites. Then Cavan hammered Down in the semi so they went into the final favourites, despite the fact that Monaghan were short enough odds to beat them in the first round!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Been away from here due to a long illness and now family death..

Delighted to see our senior footballers holding their own in division 1.. Well done.. Looking forward to the championship it's gonna be an interesting summer again...

Under 21s hard luck it's a huge achievement to get to an AI semi well done to all involved...

Bizzum yes you have fellow countymen with AI medals from the 80s but your footballers are atrocious. Doesn't even justify discussing tbh.

I see yet again huge interest in Kildare football.. ;)

Good to be back I missed the GAA FORUM...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Delighted to see our senior footballers holding their own in division 1.. Well done.. Looking forward to the championship it's gonna be an interesting summer again...

Under 21s hard luck it's a huge achievement to get to an AI semi well done to all involved...

Bizzum yes you have fellow countymen with AI medals from the 80s but your footballers are atrocious. Doesn't even justify discussing tbh.

Was only reading through this thread today and noticed you hadn't been around in a bit.

Sorry to hear you've been having it so hard. Chin up.

As for today, it always happens in underage football at every level. The players don't have to experience and mental strength to change games when things don't go as planned. No big deal, that Kildare side are a serious group of young lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Sorry for your trouble DK. Troubles like that put everything in context really.

Two points I would make about justifying my recent posting. It's a discussion board, thats what people do..........Discuss things.

Secondly. I entered into said discussion as an Offaly man, in response to remarks that I couldn't and wouldn't let go unchallenged.

To clarify. Offaly have All Ireland medals from the 60's, 70's, and 90's as well as the 80's you mentioned above. I wouldn't agree that the current crop are atrocious. We're a good bit off the mark alright, it's very difficult to sustain a high lever of challenge in both codes with a population of maybe a quarter of kildares.
    I do live in hope though. I just don't like shouting and roaring about it. That's not the Offaly way!

A death brings everything into context lads. No offense bizzum I'm a little tender so my emotions are slightly high.. Sorry if I seemed aggressive or ****ty in any way at all.

I actually know a lot of Offaly people since moving to monasterevin a 8 years ago but I know Offaly are a work in progress.

I hope of all hopes Kildare stay grounded this year if I hear one person saying on KFM this is our year ill pull the few hairs I have left out.. ;)

Think Kildare fans need to allow teams senior and underage to develop and improve, Rome wasnt built in a day as the fella said.

I think a lot of people in Kildare who lets face it think we are gonna win all the time are absolutely delusional and know feck all about football. But they are fair weather fans and shall remain ignorant IMO.

But saying that Kildare have improved greatly but are far from the finished article.

It's official I'm back!!! I will apologise to you all now ;)

Now lets talk GAA :D

kildare the new mayo it seems.

A death brings everything into context lads. No offense bizzum I'm a little tender so my emotions are slightly high.. Sorry if I seemed aggressive or ****ty in any way at all.

I actually know a lot of Offaly people since moving to monasterevin a 8 years ago but I know Offaly are a work in progress.

I hope of all hopes Kildare stay grounded this year if I hear one person saying on KFM this is our year ill pull the few hairs I have left out.. ;)

Think Kildare fans need to allow teams senior and underage to develop and improve, Rome wasnt built in a day as the fella said.

I think a lot of people in Kildare who lets face it think we are gonna win all the time are absolutely delusional and know feck all about football. But they are fair weather fans and shall remain ignorant IMO.

But saying that Kildare have improved greatly but are far from the finished article.

It's official I'm back!!! I will apologise to you all now ;)

Now lets talk GAA :D

well if you want to talk about winning all irelands i fear your way behind the Biffos on that score matter now bad you think they are
    they also have them in the small ball to, as kildare wouldn't know much about that, as we kilkenny would know about football:D

well if you want to talk about winning all irelands i fear your way behind the Biffos on that score matter now bad you think they are
    they also have them in the small ball to, as kildare wouldn't know much about that, as we kilkenny would know about football:D
    Firstly biffo is an ignorant way of describing people from Offaly why not start a Kilkenny thread and use that tripe there??

As a GAA county Offaly get my utmost respect. A fine county rich in history of gaa and winning All Ireland's. Kildare do play hurling cat unlike Kilkenny who won't put out a football team and that sir is a disgrace.

Kilkennys castle if you care to call it that with regard hurling will not be the superpower in 10 years you might be glad to go to football matches then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Disappointed to say the least about today. Strange though as i thought the lads played fairly well tbh. Got the ball up the pitch quickly, passed well, battled well, won alot in midfield, everything but the scoring!
    After watching the first 10 minutes kildare looked to be well in control yet the scoreboard said otherwise. We had 60% possession in the first half yet were 3 points down!

Galway took their chances well and were accurate and have a bright future (might be a good outside bet for Senior all Ireland) but was just wondering what kildare can take from it?

If you cant be accurate from 80 yards, move the ball into 40 yards, no good at 40 yards move it to 20 yards etc...
    Also it seemed that nobody was comfortable holding onto the ball. Seems to either be recycled or kicked at goal... or away.

I thought fogarty and cribbin (my kildare man of the match) had a fairly good game. Kelly & dowling had a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Galway didn't allow Kildare into decent scoring positions for a lot of their wides today. Apart from midfield Galway barely put a foot wrong.

I really don't think it was a case of Kildare leaving it beyond them today, Galway had the forwards that'd wreck any defence given half a chance and Kildare for all their workrate couldn't match that. The only hope Kildare had was to try and run through the middle and use their size but they never really attacked up the gut enough to cause problems.

Chin up, a Leinster in a very competitive year is a fine achievement and plenty of those players can make the step up. The forwards will need to put a lot of work in to improve their awareness when it comes to taking shots, I guess that's Kildare's lot at a few grades these days.

Syferus wrote: »
    Galway didn't allow Kildare into decent scoring positions for a lot of their wides today. Apart from midfield Galway barely put a foot wrong.

I really don't think it was a case of Kildare leaving it beyond them today, Galway had the forwards that'd wreck any defence given half a chance and Kildare for all their workrate couldn't match that. The only hope Kildare had was to try and run through the middle and use their size but they never really attacked up the gut enough to cause problems.

Chin up, a Leinster in a very competitive year is a fine achievement and plenty of those players can make the step up. The forwards will need to put a lot of work in to improve their awareness when it comes to taking shots, I guess that's Kildare's lot at a few grades these days.
    I'm delighted with the Leinster and getting to an AI semi. And I think Galway played some great ball. One Galway lad in particular was immense think Walsh was his name..

Good luck to Galway in the final btw. Great to see Kildare competitive at under 21s says a lot about the way we are moving as a county...

CILL DARA ABÚ

It was soul destroying to watch that yesterday. Kildare played like a team who thought they were just going to overpower Galway. Their tactics were far more effective and their players carried them out to a tee. Good luck to them.

The wides knocked the confidence out of the team and the management left it too long to change things. The players will be kicking themselves this morning but hopefully they will learn from it.

It was soul destroying to watch that yesterday. Kildare played like a team who thought they were just going to overpower Galway. Their tactics were far more effective and their players carried them out to a tee. Good luck to them.

The wides knocked the confidence out of the team and the management left it too long to change things. The players will be kicking themselves this morning but hopefully they will learn from it.

Definitely agree the wides in the first half got into the lads heads shame really game should have been much closer contest

Definitely agree the wides in the first half got into the lads heads shame really game should have been much closer contest

Yeah that happens to young fellas. There's no man their on the field with the bit of craft and experience to calm lads down and engineer a few frees in front of the posts. I think our manager also needs to take some of the responsibility. At no stage did he seem to show any bit of urgency on the line and it was amazing that there was no plan B after half time. The only noticeable change I saw was throwing Hurley onto the edge of the square in the final minutes which was pure desperation stuff.

It's disappointing because it could have been the shot in the arm that Kildare football needed. Kildare need to take stock now ahead of the Offaly match. Hopefully the likes of Smith, Flynn and Leper start showing a bit of form in the upcoming club championship fixtures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Jack Lumber

What's the story with Mikey Conway? Is he injured again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Just not good enough. He's probably brushing up on the sun bed now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Jack Lumber

Just not good enough. He's probably brushing up on the sun bed now.
    :eek:

Not a fan then?

• Advertisement

He had minor surgery a couple of weeks ago. He should be back training shortly. Amazes me the stick he receives from some sections in the county. There have been far less talented and less committed players who have played for Kildare recently than Conway. He's just not a defender yet McGeeney persisted with him there.

Advertisement