Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What about him isn't good enough? I know eff all about Cavan GAA, but I thought he was a leading light when DCU won their first Sigerson?

Surely people can discuss what he does on the pitch without bringing up all the transfer ballyhoo. I'm genuinely curious to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What about him isn't good enough? I know eff all about Cavan GAA, but I thought he was a leading light when DCU won their first Sigerson?

Surely people can discuss what he does on the pitch without bringing up all the transfer ballyhoo. I'm genuinely curious to know.

Plainly I think smith is a better footballer than him.

I'm not gonna talk **** about him either seanie is still a class act he on his day can put em over for fun. Good with both feet IMO. He is a great addition to panel but not better than the options we have currently IMO

I knew very little of Johnston as a Cavan player ill be honest but yes I believe he was apparently one of cavans best prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

He has to show a serious improvement if he wants to start. Admittedly he did show some good form sporadically in the league but you get the sense he's a feast or famine type of forward. Kildare don't have the luxury of hoping he'll be on a going day when they're facing a team like Dublin.

Here's how I would line out for what it's worth:
    Connolly
    Lyons Foley McGrillen
    Bolton Callaghan P. Kelly
    D. Flynn D. Flynn
    Cribbin N. Kelly M. O'Flaherty
    Doyle Smith E O'Flaherty

That would be three changes from yesterday's side - Connolly in for Donnellan, Smith in for O'Connor and Morgan O'Flaherty in for Brophy. Connolly has more experience than Donnellan and I think he is a safer option for a big game against Dublin in front of a big crowd. Smith is far more likely to kick three or four points than O'Connor. Brophy might consider himself unlucky if he missed out by I do think we will need a deep lying half forward to compete against Dublin so I would start Morgan. Eoin Doyle or Brian Flanagan could fulfill a similar role if they are over their injuries.

Well playing in Croker is a unique experience all of its own. It can take even the best of players a bit of time to get used to it. Seeing as you also seem to play a fair few of your league & champo games in Croker too, it would have been a good game to start him, and give him a chance to get settled in. It was a game you were never going to lose, so you had the luxury of him possibly missing a couple. Some of those wides he hit yesterday seemed more a by product of rust or nerves or just trying too hard to make an impression in a short space of time, than they were a player who flat out didn't belong there imo.

the realistic me is dreading the dublin game... i hope the lads turn up and play the type of football we know they are capable of. i just hope they dont drop the heads like in the league game.

dublin are frighteningly good this year its gonna take a mammoth effort to stop them.. we desperately need a leinster IMO. forget all the ****e hype of some re SAM i would give my right bollock for a leinster title.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I was also thinking that but don't want to open can of worms re Johnston here again.

I think you make up your opinion as you go along on any given day tbh.

In January, only four months ago, you remarked "seanie johnston will have a big role to play i reckon now with kavanagh gone as can see forwards being reshuffled".

I'm just wondering what performances in the interim have lead to such a difference in your opinion?

It seems Seanie has quickly gone from hero to zero in your opinion. I'd just like to hear the reasoning behind the dramatic shift.

ProudDUB wrote: »

I pointed out last year when the transfer went through that Seanie can be a very inconsistent player. He has his days like against Wicklow in 2010, when he came on, where he's just sublime. He kicked six points that day and was untouchable. There were a few Wicklow supporters next to us that could only turn and laugh in dismay at some of the scores he put over.

Match report here
    http://m.brne.ws/sport/gaa/cavan-record-heroes-victory-over-wicklow-463201.html

And you can watch some of the scores on YouTube if you enter Cavan vs Wicklow 2010.

That said, he has also has his days like his last season for Cavan in 2011 where he spends most of his time standing, hands on hips waiting for the ball to come to him. On those days, he's hugely ineffective.

Klairondavis describes it well when he says he's a "feast or famine" type forward.

He was deemed surplus to requirements by Cavan in October 2011 and dropped from the panel with a number of other players.

One of whom was actually Cian Mackey who scored the goal against Arnagh this year. He put this head down and worked his way back into the side by applying himself.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I think you make up your opinion as you go along on any given day tbh.

In January, only four months ago, you remarked "seanie johnston will have a big role to play i reckon now with kavanagh gone as can see forwards being reshuffled".

I'm just wondering what performances in the interim have lead to such a difference in your opinion?

It seems Seanie has quickly gone from hero to zero in your opinion. I'd just like to hear the reasoning behind the dramatic shift.

I like others allowed hype surrounding Johnston to sway my opinion that he was a great footballer and could have been the answers to kildares problems but he isn't he is inconsistent and as klairon said not a quality Kildare can afford to have against likes of Dublin.

I still think he is a fine player on his day I just don't rate him towards smith it's a no brainer smith every time..

I like others allowed hype surrounding Johnston to sway my opinion that he was a great footballer and could have been the answers to kildares problems but he isn't he is inconsistent and as klairon said not a quality Kildare can afford to have against likes of Dublin.

I still think he is a fine player on his day I just don't rate him towards smith it's a no brainer smith every time..

Looks like you should have listened to me last Summer when I made plenty of remarks re the inconsistency so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Lemli, he is entitled to his opinion whether it changes on an hourly basis or not. This is a Kildare general discussion thread so if you want to get into the intricacies of Dark Nights opinions I suggest you take it to PM

On the topic, I'm surprised nobody is mentioning paudie O'Neill here. He was deputising over the past year or so at midfield but he was always a half forward before that. He could certainly do a job at wing forward and is generally good for a few long range points in a game, a skill which isn't abundant in the team

• Advertisement

Lemli, he is entitled to his opinion whether it changes on an hourly basis or not. This is a Kildare general discussion thread so if you want to get into the intricacies of Dark Nights opinions I suggest you take it to PM

This board is about opinions and debating them. That is what I am doing. The poster's opinion has hugely changed in the matter of four months. Surely, in that time, he has noticed something about the player which lead to the rapid change of opinion. Is it so wrong to ask the poster what this was or in what game it was?

As it is, he has actually admitted that he agreed with an opinion I gave last year so, in my mind, that proves further that I was correct when I made the assertion last year. He has also admitted to, in fact, knowing very little about the player despite being such a strong supporter of him last year on this board.

Yes, it is a Kildare general discussion thread and I am discussing the opinion of a Kildare GAA supporter on a Kildare county player so I fail to see your point.

Looks like you should have listened to me last Summer when I made plenty of remarks re the inconsistency so.
    i believe other cavan fans made similar comments re him lemlin but what kildare fan wanted to debate his attitude last year the whole thing was a farce and embarrassing i like many others just want to forget all that transfer circus and move on

On the topic, I'm surprised nobody is mentioning paudie O'Neill here. He was deputising over the past year or so at midfield but he was always a half forward before that. He could certainly do a job at wing forward and is generally good for a few long range points in a game, a skill which isn't abundant in the team

Paudie is back training on Tuesday night according to the post match interviews so he's an option alright. He's the type of player who falls between two stools because he's not a natural midfielder and he's perhaps not as pacy as some of the other forwards. He will struggle to displace either Cribbin, Kelly or EOF considering they each scored four points from play yesterday and I think any change to that area is most likely to be the addition of another defender who will be in the team to try and clog up the space in the Dublin forward line.

i believe other cavan fans made similar comments re him lemlin but what kildare fan wanted to debate his attitude last year the whole thing was a farce and embarrassing i like many others just want to forget all that transfer circus and move on

Well maybe next time you should listen to an educated and informative opinion when it is given rather than sticking your head in the sand.

Well maybe next time you should listen to an educated and informative opinion when it is given rather than sticking your head in the sand.

You know the auld saying lemlin if you throw enough **** at something something will stick?

As for sticking ones head in the sand I wasnt doing that but you sir were unbearable last year the last opinion on Johnston I or many others wanted was yours.

Now lets move forward

Back on topic so

What do people think of Callaghan as captain choice? Very popular guy in the camp but I was sure JD would have that honor. I reckon this is johns last year. Could be wrong but I just have a feeling this is his last hurrah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

It was a poor performance on Saturday. We made a pretty poor Offaly side look good, particularly in the second half. Was disappointed with Brophy and O'Connor, Mick Foley looked very vulnerable when players were running at him but as Klairondavis said, he was given zero protection. EOF, Kelly, Cribbin and Daniel Flynn had good games. JD again was very good, he kicked some ridiculous points in the first half.

I'd like to see Niall Kelly in the corner against the Dubs with Conway coming in at centre forward. Kelly is small in stature and I fear he could be easily snuffed out by the Dubs at CF. I don't think we will beat Dublin but a good performance is needed after Saturday.

You know the auld saying lemlin if you throw enough **** at something something will stick?

As for sticking ones head in the sand I wasnt doing that but you sir were unbearable last year the last opinion on Johnston I or many others wanted was yours.

Now lets move forward

No, let's not. That would be letting you off lightly.

How was I unbearable? By giving an opinion you now agree with whereas you "like others allowed hype surrounding Johnston to sway my opinion that he was a great footballer and could have been the answers to kildares problems"'

As you said yourself "other cavan fans made similar comments" so, if people who you have admitted knew more about the player than you were giving such an opinion, how is it not sticking your head in the sand to ignore it?

This isn't about Johnston. It's about showing how your opinion is all over the place and I honestly think you make it up on any given day.

You don't seem to have a clue what you are talking about. I'd suggest you listen to the opinions of others like Klairondavis who clearly do.

The difference between reading his posts and yours is like night and day.

Oh for goodness sake. What are you, his mother? Are you going to send him to his room with cries of " just you wait until your father gets home" ringing in his ears?

I change my opinion about some players quite often. I do based on the facts available to me at the time, and the games that I attend or watch on the telly box. Sometimes I listen to the opinions of others. Sometimes I don't. I am perfectly entitled to do all this. If others don't like it, that is too bad. No one here has a right to tell me, or anyone else, whether or not we should be "let off lightly" for doing so. It's a bloody internet forum, not senior infants !

How was I unbearable? By giving an opinion you now agree with whereas you "like others allowed hype surrounding Johnston to sway my opinion that he was a great footballer and could have been the answers to kildares problems"'

As you said yourself "other cavan fans made similar comments" so, if people who you have admitted knew more about the player than you were giving such an opinion, how is it not sticking your head in the sand to ignore it?

This isn't about Johnston. It's about showing how your opinion is all over the place and I honestly think you make it up on any given day.

You don't seem to have a clue what you are talking about. I'd suggest you listen to the opinions of others like Klairondavis who clearly do.

Oh go and ring joe Duffy. Seriously lemlin go away now I'm getting sick of you.

Talk about Kildare GAA or stop attacking me here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Argh would you ever jog on Lemlin, I've a pain in my face reading your posts trying to say people can't change their opinion on players.

I thought SJ was going to be a huge piece of the puzzle for Kildare when the transfer went through but as it has since been shown his style is not really suited to the way Kildare play so my opinion of him in this set up has changed.

At this stage your posts are just thread spoiling which is a shame as you always come across as quite informed in the Meath thread.

Oh go and ring joe Duffy. Seriously lemlin go away now I'm getting sick of you.

Talk about Kildare GAA or stop attacking me here.

I don't see how pointing out the inconsistencies in your posts is "attacking" you.

I'll leave it there. I think I've now adequately proven point.

I don't see how pointing out the inconsistencies in your posts is "attacking" you.

I'll leave it there. I think I've now adequately proven point.
    You really haven't

Felexicon wrote: »
    You really haven't

So you'd see Dark Knight as a shining beacon of knowledge on Kildare GAA?

This is the same poster who argued with me a week ago that his opinion on Johnston hadn't changed. Now it has changed.

I have trouble keeping up with the zig zags in his views each week.

Yes people's opinions can change. My opinion on Martin Dunne's changed greatly in the league this year and I can point to the matches where it did. That's a reasoned change of opinion. If Dark Knight could offer some if the reasons behind his changes then I wouldn't be raising the issue.

The fact is he just tends to go with whatever is flavour of the week here on any given day and I want to illustrate that.

Like I said, I'm happy to leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Daniel Flynn didn't even play midfield for the U21s. I take everything that man says with a bucket of salt.

So you'd see Dark Knight as a shining beacon of knowledge on Kildare GAA?

This is the same poster who argued with me a week ago that his opinion on Johnston hadn't changed. Now it has changed.

I have trouble keeping up with the zig zags in his views each week.

Yes people's opinions can change. My opinion on Martin Dunne's changed greatly in the league this year and I can point to the matches where it did. That's a reasoned change of opinion. If Dark Knight could offer some if the reasons behind his changes then I wouldn't be raising the issue.

The fact is he just tends to go with whatever is flavour of the week here on any given day and I want to illustrate that.

So it's a personal thing?
    Good to know

Felexicon wrote: »
    So it's a personal thing?
    Good to know

This is an Internet forum so I wouldn't call it "personal".

I'll leave it there anyway. Job done for me.

This is an Internet forum so I wouldn't call it "personal".

I'll leave it there anyway. Job done for me.

On your bike then..

What do people think of Callaghan as captain choice? Very popular guy in the camp but I was sure JD would have that honor.

It doesn't really make much difference who the captain is. All they do is go up for the coin toss before the game. Johnny is still the spiritual leader of the team as was seen again on Saturday.

With so many young players on the team now it's important that the experienced players like Leper, Foley, Bolton, Flynn, McGrillen etc take on the leadership mantle.

• Advertisement

It doesn't really make much difference who the captain is. All they do is go up for the coin toss before the game. Johnny is still the spiritual leader of the team as was seen again on Saturday.

With so many young players on the team now it's important that the experienced players like Leper, Foley, Bolton, Flynn, McGrillen etc take on the leadership mantle.

I think Bolton is a great example to the younger guys his work rate and attitude are first class

Advertisement