Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Jack Lumber

He had minor surgery a couple of weeks ago. He should be back training shortly. Amazes me the stick he receives from some sections in the county. There have been far less talented and less committed players who have played for Kildare recently than Conway. He's just not a defender yet McGeeney persisted with him there.
    Would have to agree with you there, Conway still IMO has a lot to offer Kildare, his passing and free taking are excellent, both areas which we aren't over burdened with. Why McGeeney persisted with him in the backs I'll never know. He has lost a lot of pace mainly due to a good few injuries over the years but still gives his all and played where ever McGeeney wanted him to. I'd like to see him back at centre forward and I'd like to see Niall Kelly in the corner.

This is the team I'd like to see starting against Offaly presuming everyone is fit.

Donnellan
    Lyons
    Peter Kelly
    McGrillen
    Bolton
    Foley
    Cribbin
    Daryl Flynn
    Hurley
    Daniel Flynn
    Conway
    Callaghan
    Niall Kelly
    O'Connor
    Doyle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Senior Football Championship

Saturday 11th May
    At St Conleths Ballymore-v-Sarsfields @18.45

Sunday 12th May
    At St Conleths Monasterevan -v-Clane @11.30
    At Clane Celbridge -v-Naas 15.30
    At St Conleths Allenwood-v-St Laurences @14.45
    At St Conleths Athy-v-Carbury 16.30
    At Rathcoffey Confey-v-St Kevins 17.00
    At Allenwood Suncroft-v-Maynooth @18.30
    At Hawkfield Moorefield -v-Leixlip @18.00

Intermediate Football Championship

Friday 10th May
    At Naas Raheens-v-Eadestown @19.30

Saturday 11th May
    At St Conleths Kilcullen-v-Ballyteague @17.00
    At Round Towers Ellistown-v-Nurney @18.00
    At Carbury Sallins-v-Kilcock @18.00

Sunday 12th May
    At Moorefield Rathangan-v-Robertstown @13.30
    At Sallins Caragh-v-Kill @15.00
    At Ballyteague Clogherinkoe-v-Round Towers @15.00
    At Sarsfields Johnstownbridge -v-Castledermot @14.00

Junior Football Championship Rd 1

Friday 10th May
    At Rathangan Rheban -v-Cappagh @19.15

Sunday 12th May
    At Celbridge Twomilehouse-v-Rathcoffey @13.00
    At Kilcullen Ballykelly-v-Castlemitchell @14.00
    At Raheens/ Milltown-v-Straffan @14.00

Grange Bye

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Jack Lumber

What club you shouting for Klairondavis?

Kill

A great day for Kildare hurling. The minors upset the odds against Carlow (3-14 to 3-12) and the seniors had an 11 point win over Mayo in the first round of the Christy Ring Cup (1-23 to 0-15).

The minors will face Kilkenny in the next round after they lost to Wexford! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Kinder Bueno

Senior Challenge

Kildare 0-18 Galway 0-12

18 points is a decent return.

On the downside, I heard Eoin Doyle picked up an injury.

Yeah, heard he's on crutches at the moment which is never good. Daryl Flynn seems to have a problem with his hip too while Fergal Conway had an operation on his knee during the week.

Yeah, heard he's on crutches at the moment which is never good. Daryl Flynn seems to have a problem with his hip too while Fergal Conway had an operation on his knee during the week.

I heard Doyle picked up an injury in the first half. He was on crutches watching the second half so hopefully only precautionary. Also heard that Daryl started but I don't know how long he lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I heard Doyle picked up an injury in the first half. He was on crutches watching the second half so hopefully only precautionary. Also heard that Daryl started but I don't know how long he lasted.
    klairon are you from kill?? im from kill ;)

• Advertisement

klairon are you from kill?? im from kill ;)

I'm originally from Baronrath to be specific about it

I'm originally from Baronrath to be specific about it

Have family living in baronrath ;) are you involved with ardclough?

Have family living in baronrath ;) are you involved with ardclough?

I have a few relatives playing for Ardclough. I'm living in Carlow now so I don't tend to get home as often as I'd like.

Kildare minor team v Offaly

Seán Dempsey Sarsfields
    Cian McConnell Sarsfields
    Luke Flynn Balyna
    Diarmuid Hartley Sarsfields
    Jamie Flynn Round Towers
    Niall Fleming Round Towers
    Paul Mescal Maynooth
    Paschal Connell Athy
    Mark Sherry Two Mile House
    Ryan Houlihan Moorefield
    Tommy Cribbin Clane
    Jamie Connolly Moorefield
    Wayne Fitzpatrick Monasterevin
    Neil Flynn Maynooth
    Chris Healy Two Mile House

Here's hoping a big crowd sticks around for the hurlers and their big game against Meath in the Christy Ring.

Great display from the minor footballers yesterday beating Offaly by 15 points.

Hurlers were unlucky not to hold on in normal time. They were always up against it in extra time once Divily got the line.

Great to see Kildare underage showing promise. The last few years the underage teams have not been at the level I would expect from a big county like Kildare. Very promising for out future senior team in 10 years time

SFC
    Sarsfields 1-19 Ballymore 1-05
    Clane 1-12 Monasterevin 0-07
    St Laurence's 2-10 Allenwood 0-10
    Celbridge 1-09 Naas 0-08
    Athy 6-13 Carbury 0-10
    Confey 2-10 St Kevin's 0-10
    Moorefield 1-09 Leixlip 0-06
    Maynooth 0-14 Suncroft 0-09

IFC
    Kilcock 5-17 Sallins 0-05
    Ellistown 0-09 Nurney 0-06
    Raheens 1-10 Eadestown 2-06
    Ballyteague 1-14 Kilcullen 2-09
    Johnstownbridge 2-12 Castledermot 1-06
    Round Towers 1-14 Clogherinkoe 1-05
    Rathangan 3-10 Robertstown 3-07
    Caragh 3-05 Kill 2-05

JFC
    Two Mile House 4-15 Rathcoffey 0-07
    Rheban 3-06 Cappagh 0-06
    Straffan 2-11 Milltown 1-07
    Castlemitchell 0-13 Ballykelly 0-12

Ah, what happened to Kill Klairondavis?

Huge win for Athy, they've really put down a marker.

Had enough chances to at least force a draw but Caragh closed it out well in fairness to them. Kilcullen and Castledermot are probably the two teams to avoid now in the losers round.

I think JTB and Towers will fight it out for a place in the Senior Championship with Kilcock and Ellistown their main threats. Kill will have enough to stay up I hope.

The senior games went with form but I don't think anyone saw the manner of Carbury's defeat coming. Athy have serious talent and they will get huge confidence from that result but they could be waiting three months now for the next round which is a ridiculous situation. The lie of the land could look very different by then.

Yeah, Towers are going very well so far, they haven't lost a game so far this year. JTB are a bit hit and miss though, you never know what you're going to get from them. Kilcock had a huge win so they cannot be discounted either. I think Clogherinkoe will make the drop, they have lost a lot of players from last years junior winning team. I think it will be between them and Nurney for relegation, although I did hear that they should have beat Ellistown.

In the Senior you can't really look past Athy and Sarsfields. James Eaton had a blinder against Carbury, scoring 2-6, one would have to wonder why he wasn't given more chances by McGeeney before leaving the panel. Suncroft or Ballymore will make the drop IMO.

• Advertisement

JTB suffer from having so many players away with the county team. Whoever beats them will win the intermediate championship.

I wouldn't rule Moorefield out of the running in the senior. They are capable of grinding most teams down. I think Sarsfields will miss Gary White the further the championship goes on with Earley looking likely to hang up his boots shortly sadly. Athy are probably worthy favourites now. Celbridge and Larries have the squads to take out one of those three but I'm not sure they can go all the way. Carbury have been in the last two finals but that defeat on Sunday will take some recovering from to say the least!

Ah, what happened to Kill Klairondavis?

Huge win for Athy, they've really put down a marker.
    hey give kill a break ;)

athy setting massive marker alright..

Draw for IFC Rd 2
    Losers group:
    Kill vs Sallins
    Robertstown vs Nurney
    Castledermot vs Clogherinkoe
    Eadestown vs Kilcullen

Winners group:
    Kilcock vs Ballyteague
    Rathangan vs Ellistown
    Caragh vs Raheens
    Johnstownbridge vs Round Towers

Draw for SFC Rd 2
    Losers group:
    St. Kevins vs Monasterevan
    Naas vs Carbury
    Ballymore vs Leixlip
    Allenwood vs Suncroft

Winners group:
    St. Laurences vs Confey
    Maynooth vs Clane
    Athy vs Sarsfields
    Moorefield vs Celbridge

I bet you're happy enough with that draw Klairondavis. :D

Sarsfields v Athy is a tasty fixture.

I bet you're happy enough with that draw Klairondavis. :D

Sarsfields v Athy is a tasty fixture.

Local derby sure. Form book goes out the window!

Athy/Sash definitely the standout tie in the senior championship, JTB/Towers in the intermediate.

Excellent win for the hurlers down in Arklow yesterday. Through to the semi final now against Kerry.

Minors were predictably well beaten by Kilkenny but hopefully the experience will stand to them in the future.

Dermot Earley officially announces his retirement. What a legend he has been! Good luck to him in his future.

Dermot Earley officially announces his retirement. What a legend he has been! Good luck to him in his future.
    What a footballer earley was..

Talking to a few (supporters) :@ earlier and they were slating earley for stepping down FFS that man gave everything he had to Kildare he is an absolute gentleman too. I swiftly told those fair weather fans they had not got a clue what dermot did for the county he is an icon..

Thank you for the memories dermot I wish you well!! And you were a beast at fielding in midfield.

The man gave it everything in a white shirt for 16 years. It's been a privilege to have witnessed so many great displays. You could go to the ends of Ireland and not find a nicer man than Dermot. A truly great ambassador for the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The man gave it everything in a white shirt for 16 years. It's been a privilege to have witnessed so many great displays. You could go to the ends of Ireland and not find a nicer man than Dermot. A truly great ambassador for the county.

Well said. It's a great pity he never got his hands on an elusive All Ireland. He is one player who truly deserved it.

Advertisement