Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Under 21 semi-final on Saturday in Tullamore throwing in at 2. There should be a big Kildare turnout for that. There was a great crowd at the Leinster final considering it was a weeknight.

The minor footballers start their championship campaign away to Kilkenny this evening:

1. Richard Dromgoole Maguire - Two Mile House
    2. Cian McConnell - Sarsfields
    3. Eoghan Bateman - Naas
    4. Diarmuid Hartley - Sarsfields
    5. Jamie Flynn - Round Towers
    6. Niall Fleming - Round Towers
    7. Jamie Connolly - Moorefield
    8. Mark Sherry - Two Mile House
    9. Rory McDermott - Naas
    10. Ryan Houlihan - Moorefield
    11. Conor Davin - Maynooth
    12. Ben McCormack - Sarsfields
    13. Wayne Fitzpatrick - Monasterevin
    14. Mark Byrne - Round Towers
    15. Aaron McConville - Round Towers

16. Craig Shannon - Rathangan
    17. Paschal Connell - Athy
    18. Mathew Kelly - Round Towers
    19. Cein McMonagle - Balyna
    20. Neil Flynn - Maynooth
    21. Chris Healy - Two Mile House
    22. Luke Flynn - Balyna
    23. John Joe Mahon - Castledermot
    24. Paul Mescal - Maynooth

Looks like it will be a pretty pointless exercise with Kilkenny only having one panel member turning up for training a few weeks ago! I suppose it's an opportunity to give a few of the fringe players a run out and that looks what they're trying to do looking at the names on the bench.

A 34 point victory in the end. Not much to be learned from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

Sunday's game between Tyrone and Kildare will be a great game. I wont be supporting either (Dub) but I really hope Kildare win as they try and play football, also tyrone fans are a nasty lot.... Well balanced they have a chip on both shoulders. Looking forward to this one.
    Not sure if Kildare will run out the 21's if they do I fancy them. Best under 21 team I have seen in a long time. Dubs game will also be a decent game fancy the Dubs to do it especially if Brogan is back. Dubs V Kildare final will be good and proves the strength of Leinster football.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hard one to call. Think it all depends on which Tyrone team shows up. They can blow so hot and cold sometimes. If the team that showed up in the second half against Kerry appears, I fancy them to take it. If the first half against Kerry squad shows up, I think Kildare may be in with a chance.

Deffo think the Dubs should win the second game, especially if BB is back. But it's against Mayo in Croker, so you never know. Don't think that this shows the strength of Leinster football over all, just the strength of two counties in Leinster. Considering that we are the biggest and most populous province in the country, we should have more than two counties that are doing well in the League, and are within an asses roar of being at the business end of proceedings come August/September.

• Advertisement

1. Mark Donnellan - Maynooth
    2. Ollie Lyons - Celbridge
    3. Mick Foley - Athy
    4. Hugh McGrillen - Celbridge
    5. Peter Kelly - Two Mile House
    6. Eoin Doyle - Naas
    7. Paul Cribbin - Johnstownbridge
    8. Daryl Flynn - Moorefield
    9. Pádraig O'Neill - St Laurence's
    10. Daniel Flynn - Johnstownbridge
    11. Niall Kelly - Athy
    12. Eoghan O'Flaherty - Carbury
    13. Seánie Johnston - St Kevin's
    14. Alan Smith - Sarsfields
    15. Johnny Doyle - Allenwood

I would have liked to see Hurley starting but he should come on at some stage. I'm not sure if Smith and Johnston work well in a two man full forward line either. I think they can both be too inclined to go it alone which doesn't work against teams like Tyrone who drop their defensive line so deep. Other than that it looks a strong team. Bolton and Callaghan would be the only two main players missing.

It's a pity the hurling relegation play off is on at the same time as the footballers. It's a big game for them against Wicklow and it would do Kildare hurling the power of good to stay up in 2A. The higher standard of hurling compared to 2B will only help them improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Stephen O'Neill is some talented bast*rd!

EDIT: jesus christ, he's a pleasure to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

full_irish wrote: »
    Stephen O'Neill is some talented bast*rd!

EDIT: jesus christ, he's a pleasure to watch

The difference between the two teams. Decent enough performance from Kildare but they are a team in transition and when they gel a bit better they will improve. Needless wides cost them badly.

The referee made a few errors for both teams but let the game flow well which was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Fitzerb wrote: »
    Sunday's game between Tyrone and Kildare will be a great game. I wont be supporting either (Dub) but I really hope Kildare win as they try and play football, also tyrone fans are a nasty lot.... Well balanced they have a chip on both shoulders. Looking forward to this one.
    Not sure if Kildare will run out the 21's if they do I fancy them. Best under 21 team I have seen in a long time. Dubs game will also be a decent game fancy the Dubs to do it especially if Brogan is back. Dubs V Kildare final will be good and proves the strength of Leinster football.

What a fantastic observation:rolleyes:

You know every single tyrone fan do you?

Sure give us some more of your wonderful insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

well kildare fell short again in a big game, O'Neill is some footballer he lead
    the kildare back line on a merry dance today.

Johnny Doyle another top class footballer, love to see the man win something before he hangs up the boots, one of the best forwards in the
    game the last 10 years or more.

• Advertisement

Great result for the senior hurlers today. Hopefully they will have a lengthy campaign in the Christy Ring this season. Gerry Keegan will be a fine player if he keeps up his rate of development.

Disappointing for the senior footballers but the better side did win out in the end. Some signs for encouragement were the performances of O'Neill and Johnny who took the fight to Tyrone. Some strange positioning was costly again and the only hope is that it's all part of some grand plan by McGeeney that will come together in the summer. Chances are Kildare won't get any further than we have done in the last two years but this league campaign should stand the team in better stead than the lower standard of Division II during those years.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Great result for the senior hurlers today. Hopefully they will have a lengthy campaign in the Christy Ring this season. Gerry Keegan will be a fine player if he keeps up his rate of development.

Disappointing for the senior footballers but the better side did win out in the end. Some signs for encouragement were the performances of O'Neill and Johnny who took the fight to Tyrone. Some strange positioning was costly again and the only hope is that it's all part of some grand plan by McGeeney that will come together in the summer. Chances are Kildare won't get any further than we have done in the last two years but this league campaign should stand the team in better stead than the lower standard of Division II during those years.
    Was Seanie Johnson with the hurlers? Didnt see him in Croke Park today? Hope he gets a run with the hurlers as I believe he showed real potential in the club league game last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Was Seanie Johnson with the hurlers? Didnt see him in Croke Park today? Hope he gets a run with the hurlers as I believe he showed real potential in the club league game last year?

2012 called. They want their story back.

Seriously disheartening to think there are people like you on this planet

Your belief is incorrect.

It was a club championship game rather than a club league game.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

The kick outs have to improve for Kildare. A few too many didnt turn up today.

Plenty to work on alright but we are probably better off avoiding Dublin before the summer whatever hope we have.

Next Saturday is very important for Kildare football. The young players will have learned a lot today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭howiya

well kildare fell short again in a big game, O'Neill is some footballer he lead
    the kildare back line on a merry dance today.

Johnny Doyle another top class footballer, love to see the man win something before he hangs up the boots, one of the best forwards in the
    game the last 10 years or more.

Two great footballers. A joy too watch. Nice bonus to be able to see them both in action before the main event (for me as I'm a dub)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Just wondering is anyone worried about capacity at the U21 semis this weekend?

Asking here as ye lads would know more about Tullamore.

Is 8,000 the capacity? There were 6,000 at the Ulster final and Cavan brought 5,500 of those I'd say.

I don't expect Galway or Cork to bring big support but Cavan will and I'd imagine Kildare will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

According to Wikipedia (I know but best I could find!) capacity is 20,000??

There was 15,000 there for Kildare v Laois in 2009 and it could have comfortably held much more.

Cavan and Kildare will bring a big following but Galway and Cork will probably barely bring 1,000 between them. A lot will depend on the weather. The bandwagon crowd are more likely to turn out if it's a nice afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It's way more than 8k. The new stand is huge and the terrace is in good shape too. We were there for the U21 final last year and it wasn't close to being taxed by the 11k or so at the game. One of best designed county grounds in the country.

There was 15,000 there for Kildare v Laois in 2009 and it could have comfortably held much more.

Cavan and Kildare will bring a big following but Galway and Cork will probably barely bring 1,000 between them. A lot will depend on the weather. The bandwagon crowd are more likely to turn out if it's a nice afternoon.

You're giving Galway fans a terribly raw deal there - they'll bring plenty of support, as they usually do for underage games. Cork's support will be tiny given the distance and the relative lack of travelling support for this grade in the county.

Syferus wrote: »
    You're giving Galway fans a terribly raw deal there - they'll bring plenty of support, as they usually do for underage games. Cork's support will be tiny given the distance and the relative lack of travelling support for this grade in the county.

The Galway senior footballers have seen their support dwindle in recent years from their heyday in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Kildare supporters outnumbered them at least 3 to 1 in Salthill last year for what was a winner takes all promotion decider. Maybe you're right and the underage teams get better support, I don't know.

Syferus wrote: »

Galway brought very few to the U21 final two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Lemlin wrote: »
    Just wondering is anyone worried about capacity at the U21 semis this weekend?

Asking here as ye lads would know more about Tullamore.

Is 8,000 the capacity? There were 6,000 at the Ulster final and Cavan brought 5,500 of those I'd say.

I don't expect Galway or Cork to bring big support but Cavan will and I'd imagine Kildare will too.

That is the capacity of the stand. Can hold 20k. We invested a few bob in bricks and mortar unlike your cb who spends cash like it is going out of fashion on just one code.

That is the capacity of the stand. Can hold 20k. We invested a few bob in bricks and mortar unlike your cb who spends cash like it is going out of fashion on just one code.

I think you're mistaking me for a Kildare man. I'm from Cavan and we've one of the best grounds in the country that will be hosting the International Rules this Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Shamozzle

I'd rather have a good football team than good grounds. Poor old Offaly.

I don't think you will find any Kildare person who will dispute that it is a fabulous stadium. Best GAA ground in Leinster in my opinion. It should get some more of the many matches that Portlaoise seems to get because the Leinster Council is based there.

Galway brought very few to the U21 final two years ago.

There was a good 40:60 split if not better for the Connacht final in the Hyde a week ago, which would put Galway's support at around 2k on day. All of which is a better indicator of their support for Saturday than a match two years ago.

A semi in a location as accessible as Tullamore is going to draw that number and more. They're in no way going to beat out Cavan or a bulging Kil Dara bandwagon but to equate their support with Cork's expected numbers is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I think you're mistaking me for a Kildare man. I'm from Cavan and we've one of the best grounds in the country that will be hosting the International Rules this Autumn.

my bad. Fine ground ye have alright

Advertisement