Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Best off pulling out of the championship so???

Jesus are we beaten in championship before the league starts? Dublin are a great outfit, but the lads will fancy going all the way with them.

Going by last years championship performances we wont come close to Dublin. Kildare fans think the team is a lot better than they actually are. Going onto Hoganstand forums, facebook etc and reading the crap there is sickening. We scraped by teams like Limerick, no disrespect to them, but a football county like Kildare should be hammering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

kildare9 wrote: »
    Best off pulling out of the championship so???

Jesus are we beaten in championship before the league starts? Dublin are a great outfit, but the lads will fancy going all the way with them.

Going by last years championship performances we wont come close to Dublin. Kildare fans think the team is a lot better than they actually are. Going onto Hoganstand forums, facebook etc and reading the crap there is sickening. We scraped by teams like Limerick, no disrespect to them, but a football county like Kildare should be hammering them.
    Ah to be fair I don't think last year gave a true pIcture of the stage Kildare football is at. There was something missing and the team never hit full stride for 70 minutes, although there were signs of quality throughout the year.
    I think getting Dublin would be a blessing in disguise for Kildare as it's a big cloud hanging over the current squad and a game they would easily get up to full speed for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Felexicon wrote: »
    I think getting Dublin would be a blessing in disguise for Kildare as it's a big cloud hanging over the current squad and a game they would easily get up to full speed for
    Kildare's best chance of beating Dublin evaporated when they lost to Meath back in July as we weren't at the races either.

That said NFL1 football should stand to Kildare in 2013 and next summer's battle (no disrespect to Offaly/Westmeath/Carlow) should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

A football county like Kildare should be HAMMERING limerick???? Ah come on now its championship football teams raise their games look at Meath a real championship outfit.. Kildare have a good bunch of lads but they have a lot to prove this year tbh. Last year they were poor lets face it but they are better than that here's hoping for a good league and a gutsy effort in championship. I would love it if we could stay in div 1 some opportunity playing div 1 to get some confidence through the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

A football county like Kildare should be HAMMERING limerick???? Ah come on now its championship football teams raise their games look at Meath a real championship outfit.. Kildare have a good bunch of lads but they have a lot to prove this year tbh. Last year they were poor lets face it but they are better than that here's hoping for a good league and a gutsy effort in championship. I would love it if we could stay in div 1 some opportunity playing div 1 to get some confidence through the team

So what if its championship? its not like club level where a weak team can come along and win it. You wouldn't see Donegal, Dublin, Mayo etc going to extra time with Limerick or getting a beaten in the manner we did at the hands of Meath. As I have said already, Kildare are nowhere near as good as people make them out to be. Don't get me wrong, Im a proud Kildare man and attend every game, but we're simply not good enough to win Leinster or win an All Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

So what if its championship? its not like club level where a weak team can come along and win it. You wouldn't see Donegal, Dublin, Mayo etc going to extra time with Limerick or getting a beaten in the manner we did at the hands of Meath. As I have said already, Kildare are nowhere near as good as people make them out to be. Don't get me wrong, Im a proud Kildare man and attend every game, but we're simply not good enough to win Leinster or win an All Ireland.
    While I agree that ye aren't good enough to win an All Ireland, I definitely think Kildare are good enough to win Leinster. Leinster was there for the taking this year. Had Wexford believed in themselves a bit more they would have taken Dublin in the semi final and had we not self destructed in first half injury time, we'd most likely be Leinster champions.
    And about Limerick, they can put it up to any team in Ireland on their day. They really should have at least one Munster championship under their belt over the last 4 or 5 years.

had we not self destructed in first half injury time, we'd most likely be Leinster champions.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. We foolishly took our foot off the pedal when 9/10 points up in the 2nd half and should have gone for the kill to avenge 2010 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Greenngold wrote: »
    How has Johnston been playing with St Kevins. Had a great game in a relegation play off against Round Towers, any other games besides it that he stood out

I saw him against Sarsfields and Allenwood and he was very poor. He didn't look remotely interested. Maybe he has improved since then but Kevin's would have had greater ambitions this year than just avoiding relegation and losing out in the Division 2 league final to Castledermot.

I got to both the senior semi finals at the weekend and I was very impressed with Padraig Fogarty and Gary White on Sunday. Fogarty should be due a run of games for the Kildare seniors to settle in. Chalky too should be given an opportunity to try and replicate his club form on the county scene. He has been one of the best players in this year's club championship. Ray Cahill was quiet enough but he did kick one great point when Sarsfields needed one. Eoghan O'Flaherty gave an exhibition for Carbury on Saturday evening. I was disappointed with some of Athy's youngsters who some have been talking up. They never kicked on this year after making the breakthrough last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Can anyone give me a list of the hurling clubs in Kildare please. and their locations (if they have saints names etc)

cheers

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a list of the hurling clubs in Kildare please. and their locations (if they have saints names etc)

cheers

Jesus there are so many, just google it and should get a list handy

• Advertisement

I've tried.

They are done alphabetically on the Kildare website, don't know which are football or hurling

I've tried.

They are done alphabetically on the Kildare website, don't know which are football or hurling

Nearly all clubs in Kildare have hurling and football.. Very few if any don't play hurling at some level.

Can I ask why you are interested in this? Are you looking for a hurling club? Maybe tell me where u are based and ill suggest a club for you?

cheers

Ardclough, Celbridge, Clane, Coill Dubh, Confey, Éire Óg-Corrachoill, Kilcock, Leixlip, Maynooth and Naas would be the main hurling clubs in Kildare.

Athy, Broadford, Kill, Moorefield, Naomh Bríd (Kildare town), Ros Glas (Monasterevin), Sallins, Sarsfields and St Laurences also have hurling teams or at lest did have up until recently.

Looks like a nice day for the football finals given some of the awful weather recently. Very hard match to call. Sarsfields look stronger on paper but Carbury have the experience of last year behind them and have no shortage of quality footballers either with the O'Flahertys and Terry Rossiter to call upon. If they can stop Chalky White from dominating around the middle and cutting out the supply to Smith, Brennan, Conferey and Cahill then they have a great chance but you'd have to side with the Sash on the strength of their forward line. They have goals in them and can add the championship to the league title that they won well earlier on in the year.

Celbridge will fancy their chances in the minor final. It's a long time since Towers won a minor title and it would be a great boost to the club after their relegation from the senior championship but I can't see it today. I think they might have played their final against Athy.

Nearly all clubs in Kildare have hurling and football.. Very few if any don't play hurling at some level.

Can I ask why you are interested in this? Are you looking for a hurling club? Maybe tell me where u are based and ill suggest a club for you?

I am looking for a few contacts to organise challenge games around north Kildare.
    cheers

Ruth Chambers ‏@ruthie_chambers
    Breaking news: Niall Carew has quit as Kildare senior football selector.

I wonder what the story is behind this?

I wonder what the story is behind this?

Didn't hear anything about this!!??

Well done sarsfields great championship after is it 6 or 7 years without winning it!! Sarsfields are too good a team to have a gap like that between championship wins!!!

Well done to all the lads involved and commiserations to Carbury again

Where is all this talk about Kildare playing their home NFL1 game against Dublin in Portlaoise coming from?

dcr22B wrote: »
    Where is all this talk about Kildare playing their home NFL1 game against Dublin in Portlaoise coming from?

Ah Jesus county board have their heads up their arses to be honest dcr. They should have put the money from hawk field into redeveloping saint conleths. Looking forward to the league always nice to have a crack at the better teams in the country!!!

Actually if they had redeveloped saint conleths they could have held events there and with that made money that could have in a few years been put into developing hawk field..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Bit quite here lads , just curious to see what people think the team will be like for next year?
    Connolly
    Lyons Kelly Mc Grillen

O Flaherty Foley/O Neill Bolton

Flynn
    Cribben/Lynch

O Flaherty Callaghan O Neill

Doyle Fogarty Smith

I left out O Connor simply because we cant no longer afford to have a player who cannot shoot, all the above fowards arent afraid to have a go so it would be worth a try.Foley at centre back may shore up us being torn through the middle but if Chalky White is stayin on he should be given a shot

I would restore Mick Foley to full back. The team just looks a lot more solid when he's at the edge of the square. I think McGrillen and Peter Kelly look a lot more comfortable too alongside Mick.

Finding a midfield partner for Daryl Flynn has got to be a priority. I would have Chalky in pole position for that place but I don't think he will be available next summer. Both O'Neill and Kelly have been tried there without really convincing and Lynch can be a bit hit and miss. It might be worth giving O'Connor a try out there to see how he gets on. If Conor Brophy and Sean Hurley are still around they could be options here.

Forwards are anyone's guess. I'm a big fan of O'Flaherty but he was poor this summer. I'd agree that Fogarty should be given his chance on the edge of the square. It's a mystery that he didn't see more action this year. It would be nice to see someone like Dowling, Cahill, Mellett, McNally or Eaton step up because some of the forwards we currently have lack consistency. I'm not sure they will though. I'd expect Paul Cribbin will get a run if he stays around.

Connolly
    McGrillen Foley Kelly
    M O'Flaherty E Doyle Bolton
    Flynn O'Connor
    Cribbin E O'Flaherty Callaghan
    J Doyle Fogarty Smith

I think we will do enough to stay up in Division 1 but I can't see us being good enough to beat Dublin come the summer. A run through the back door followed by a 1/4 final exit will probably be our lot again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Rob Kelly is good enough to play MF for Kildare IMO. He was very effective as a third midfielder in 2011.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Rob Kelly is good enough to play MF for Kildare IMO. He was very effective as a third midfielder in 2011.

I think he lacks the physicality for midfield. He's fine against some of the weaker teams in Leinster and in the backdoor but not against the better counties. His best performances for Kildare have probably come as a full-forward. I remember him kicking some great scores off both feet in a league match against Meath in Newbridge a few years ago.

It's a pity if Chalky isn't available for Kildare next year. I think he would be ideal as a midfield partner for Daryl Flynn. He has been superb there for Sarsfields but anytime he gets a run for Kildare it's at wing back where he can be exposed for pace.

Anyone aware of any call ups or retirees for the panel lads? Iv heard Cathal MCNalley was called up but am unaware of anyone else,would be surprised to see us stay in division 1 but saying that i was surprised we won division 2 after the monaghan and tyrone games!

Would it not make sense to play rob kelly full forward and play O'Connor midfield??

Jesus geezer wrecks my head playing O'Connor forward when he is a midfielder and quite a good one too to be honest!!!

Chalky is in flying form right now shame if he won't be available next summer!!

Might see geezer trying diff tactics this year as we are getting stale inject some youth maybe etc?

qwerty93 wrote: »
    Anyone aware of any call ups or retirees for the panel lads? Iv heard Cathal MCNalley was called up but am unaware of anyone else,would be surprised to see us stay in division 1 but saying that i was surprised we won division 2 after the monaghan and tyrone games!

McNally, Conor Mellett and James Eaton have been called up according to the Nationalist a few weeks ago.

There might be someone from Carbury that has been called up since then given that they were still involved in the County Championship at that time. No doubt there will be one or two from Sarsfields (Tiernan, Cahill and Campbell perhaps?) who will be given a trial once their club season is over.

The numbers on the panel are to be cut due to the financial situation so how many of these lads are kept on for the league remains to be seen. There's a few lads who were there last year who won't be back according to those in the know - Paddy Dunne, Dessie Lawlor, Tommy O'Neill. I'd expect there will be a few more lads added to that list before February.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/sport/gaelic-games/carew-new-waterford-manager-1-4496530#.UKbbDA8ZaK4.facebook Carew being named as Waterford manager? Theres something I didnt see coming, best of luck to him anyway and its great to see so many Kildare men managing outside the county! hopefully we will se the likes of himself Glenn Ryan and Rainbow in the Kildare set up again in due course:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

qwerty93 wrote: »
    http://www.leinsterleader.ie/sport/gaelic-games/carew-new-waterford-manager-1-4496530#.UKbbDA8ZaK4.facebook Carew being named as Waterford manager? Theres something I didnt see coming, best of luck to him anyway and its great to see so many Kildare men managing outside the county! hopefully we will se the likes of himself Glenn Ryan and Rainbow in the Kildare set up again in due course:)

What can we expect to see from him. He comes across from bits I have read that he is highlt thought of in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Kildare county board spent over 1.2m on football team (minor,u-21,junior & Senior) expenses over the last 2 years...They announced the hurling board have 75k for next year to prepare minor,u21 & senior teams.

Not doing much to promote hurling then :rolleyes:

Wouldnt mind but they have a decent side at Ring level

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Kildare county board spent over 1.2m on football team (minor,u-21,junior & Senior) expenses over the last 2 years...They announced the hurling board have 75k for next year to prepare minor,u21 & senior teams.

I merged this post with the main Kildare thread.

• Advertisement

Prop Joe wrote: »

There's actually quite a few handy hurlers in the county but its an awful shame the CB don't prioritise hurling more.

Advertisement