Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I reckon IF he wants to play for Galway he is going to be a massive player for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Gary white wouldn't be joining the kildare team either this year. Big player big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

At least Johnny is sticking around for another season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Sad to see Kavanagh go. Class act on his day, I will always remember his goal v Meath in 2010. Himself and Kieran McGeeney were not best buddies by all accounts.

so will we see a very different kildare side this year?? o`connor to midfield has to be a good move get our lads playing their club positions as best we can..

seanie johnston will have a big role to play i reckon now with kavanagh gone as can see forwards being reshuffled

will ryans influence open geezers eyes to change?? i really hope so...

cant wait to see how this unfolds..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

seanie johnston
    Hurling.....Transfer......Loyalty.............House..........Work..........Cavan.......Big Games..........Handy Frees........Disgrace.........Training..........Val...........McGeenny

There we go that's the jist of last years thread on this matter, hopefully it's put to bed now

Felexicon wrote: »
    Hurling.....Transfer......Loyalty.............House..........Work..........Cavan.......Big Games..........Handy Frees........Disgrace.........Training..........Val...........McGeenny

There we go that's the jist of last years thread on this matter, hopefully it's put to bed now

I'm confused. I only mentioned Johnston will have a role to play?

I take it your just putting all discussion of Johnston down so it doesn't start again?? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Johnston would want to be an awful lot better than he showed in the club championship if he's to be anywhere near the Kildare team. I think he's behind a number of players in contention for a starting place in the forwards even with Kavanagh's departure.

Johnston would want to be an awful lot better than he showed in the club championship if he's to be anywhere near the Kildare team. I think he's behind a number of players in contention for a starting place in the forwards even with Kavanagh's departure.

Honestly seen none of Johnston in club championship, was he poor klairon?? Are you of the opinion seanie might be wasting his time in Kildare camp??

I watched him twice and he did not stand out. He was very poor against Sarsfields in particular. Maybe he was better in the relegation playoffs and during the league but he'd want to have been.

Is he wasting his time? I don't know. It's up to him and whether he's really committed to Kildare or whether he's just in it for himself. There's no doubt he has talent but it remains to be seen if he can put it all together for Kildare. Karl O'Dwyer gave great service to Kildare football after a ropey enough start. I'm unconvinced that Johnston can do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Seems my source yesterday wasn't too far off if this article from todays Examiner is to be believed. I doubt any Kildare follower would begrudge him his move what with him having an address and living in the county. best of luck to him and his.

Kavanagh leaving Lilies for Galway

By John Fogarty and Daragh Ó Conchúir

Friday, January 04, 2013

James Kavanagh could be on the verge of a dramatic switch from Kildare to Galway.

It was confirmed yesterday the former All Star nominee had withdrawn from the Lilywhites panel for personal reasons.

Despite working as a Garda in Dublin and living in Kildare, Ballymore Eustace clubman Kavanagh owns a house in Milltown and it is expected the forward will be lining out for the Galway club come championship time.

Contacted earlier this week, Kavanagh (27) said his intention is to eventually settle in Milltown but a switch wasn’t yet on the cards.

Kavanagh, who grew up in Galway, played on the St Jarlath’s team alongside the likes of Michael Meehan in the early 2000s.

Kavanagh was part of the Kildare U21 team that won the Leinster title in 2004. He was still eligible for that grade when making his senior championship debut against Wicklow the following year. He also came on as Laois thrashed Kildare in the Leinster semi-final and was handed his first start by Padraig Nolan in the subsequent All-Ireland qualifier against Sligo in Markievicz Park.

Kavanagh has been a regular since then and flourished under Kieran McGeeney’s stewardship. His creativity and scoring threat off either foot earned him All-Star nominations in 2009 and 2010.

"James has opted out" confirmed the senior footballers’ spokesman, Morgan O’Callaghan yesterday. "He just felt he couldn’t give the time and so he won’t be involved this year anyway.

"He has given a lot to Kildare football for a long time and we all wish him well."

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

As sharp as a beach ball.

That was some Ja's team Jimmy was on with Meehan, etc. Watched quite a few of their games, some of the best colleges football I ever had the pleasure of viewing. He was and still is a serious operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I watched him twice and he did not stand out. He was very poor against Sarsfields in particular. Maybe he was better in the relegation playoffs and during the league but he'd want to have been.

Is he wasting his time? I don't know. It's up to him and whether he's really committed to Kildare or whether he's just in it for himself. There's no doubt he has talent but it remains to be seen if he can put it all together for Kildare. Karl O'Dwyer gave great service to Kildare football after a ropey enough start. I'm unconvinced that Johnston can do the same.

Let's leave the Johnston transfer in the archives where it belongs.

But with a few edits klairon I could have written that exact same post 3-4 years ago about Johnston from a Cavan point of view. Your posts usually are spot on and unfortunately I think your post above captures perfectly the enigma that is Seanie Johnston - wonderfully talented player but his commitment is always questioned when the chips are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Let's leave the Johnston transfer in the archives where it belongs.

No I feel this topic hasn't been given the attention that it deserves.:rolleyes:

We should discuss it at length. Let's get the national media involved and perhaps a sky-sports style 'Seanie Cam' to follow not only his movements on the pitch but 24/7 so that we can know the important things about the player, the man, the legend... but where do the camera crew go in the morning?? Straffan? Cavan? Newbridge? (which was a new one) ;):rolleyes:

full_irish wrote: »
    No I feel this topic hasn't been given the attention that it deserves.:rolleyes:

We should discuss it at length. Let's get the national media involved and perhaps a sky-sports style 'Seanie Cam' to follow not only his movements on the pitch but 24/7 so that we can know the important things about the player, the man, the legend... but where do the camera crew go in the morning?? Straffan? Cavan? Newbridge? (which was a new one) ;):rolleyes:
    Fairly sure that's all been done, where were you for the Kildare GAA circus 2012?

What's with the slectively quoting my post and the rolleyes??

I responded to a post about Johnston's ability with my opinion so what are you trying to say??

Jesus lets not start discussing seanie it has been done to death lets be honest..

Last year was tiresome at best no way do I want to get involved in discussing it lol..

James kavanagh will be hugely missed, best of luck James...

If he does play for Galway my view of him remains the same he is an absolute gent and the very best of luck to him...

Fairly sure that's all been done, where were you for the Kildare GAA circus 2012?

Indeed it has, I was in the corning sobbing hysterically as we had a mare of a championship on and off the pitch.
    What's with the slectively quoting my post and the rolleyes??

I responded to a post about Johnston's ability with my opinion so what are you trying to say??

The rolleyes are showing that I'm being sarcastic aka having a laugh. Not at your expense (just to be clear). I was actually agreeing with you but thought that a satirical jibe would humorous. My bad.
    Jesus lets not start discussing seanie it has been done to death lets be honest..

Last year was tiresome at best no way do I want to get involved in discussing it lol..

James kavanagh will be hugely missed, best of luck James...

If he does play for Galway my view of him remains the same he is an absolute gent and the very best of luck to him...

Provided he doesn't score a single point against us! If he wants to pop in with a few own-goals (if we paly Galway) that'd be very much appreciated :P

The rolleyes are showing that I'm being sarcastic aka having a laugh. Not at your expense (just to be clear). I was actually agreeing with you but thought that a satirical jibe would humorous. My bad.

That's cool - I agree with your sentiments was just confused by the quoting my post. Am all for satirical jibes :D

• Advertisement

That's cool - I agree with your sentiments was just confused by the quoting my post. Am all for satirical jibes :D

Any sign of lemlin?? Hasn't been seen here under that username for quite a while? ;)

Any sign of lemlin?? Hasn't been seen here under that username for quite a while? ;)

Right either I'm getting paranoid or am just really slow this morning but are you saying that I am Lemlin re-registered??

Right either I'm getting paranoid or am just really slow this morning but are you saying that I am Lemlin re-registered??

Tom I know you here 2 years lol.. No I'm not mate, but I believe lemlin is amongst us here

Tom I know you here 2 years lol.. No I'm not mate, but I believe lemlin is amongst us here

Fair enough lets leave it at that so - don't want to be derailing the Kildare thread.

The transfer was done and dusted long ago but I see no harm in debating his merits as a Kildare player now. I think he's behind a few in the pecking order right now and I would be surprised if he becomes a regular starter for Kildare on what I have seen (admittedly only 2 club matches and his cameos for Kildare last summer).

The transfer was done and dusted long ago but I see no harm in debating his merits as a Kildare player now. I think he's behind a few in the pecking order right now and I would be surprised if he becomes a regular starter for Kildare on what I have seen (admittedly only 2 club matches and his cameos for Kildare last summer).

What he needs is someone, maybe a job for Ryan, to put an arm around him and tell him he's important to the team and needed. If Kildare get the most out of him, he would be a serious addition because there is no doubt that he has the ability.

Not being in the country I wouldn't have much chance to see much (aka any) club football... so a question for ye more knowledgeable posters...

...What would be your 1st choice forward 6 at the moment?

actually throw in the two mid fielders aswell seeing as I think moving TOC out to mid may be a popular shout.

Very hard to know what McGeeney is thinking at the best of times. I predict he will stick with O'Connor at full forward even though the limitations of that tactic have been shown up in the past. Mikey Conway played at wing back in a recent challenge against Wicklow so that could potentially free up a place in the half forwards. Conor Mellett, James Eaton and Cathal McNally could get a chance in the O'Byrne Cup and Paul Cribbin is back from Australia.

If we had a championship match tomorrow I think McGeeney would pick:

8 Flynn
    9 Lynch/Kelly/White
    10 O'Neill
    11 O'Flaherty
    12 Callaghan
    13 Doyle
    14 O'Connor
    15 Smith

Conway, Fogarty, Dowling, Johnston, Cribbin, Mellett, Eaton, McNally and Groome are other options. Hurley and Brophy could be considered but I don't know if they're back on the panel or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fixxer

Good man cormac, maybe you should read the person who wrote the article instead of another journalist who wanted to spice the story up by adding the Galway link.

http://www.daraghoconchuir.ie/blog.php?all=all
    Daragh, wrote the piece about James and says he is not contemplating a Galway transfer and could be back playing for Kildare next year.

So that's you wrong again. You make it easy though which us nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

fixxer wrote: »
    Good man cormac, maybe you should read the person who wrote the article instead of another journalist who wanted to spice the story up by adding the Galway link.

http://www.daraghoconchuir.ie/blog.php?all=all
    Daragh, wrote the piece about James and says he is not contemplating a Galway transfer and could be back playing for Kildare next year.

So that's you wrong again. You make it easy though which us nice.

What are you rambling about all Cormac did was post the article as it appeared in the Examiner, your beef is with the editor of the examiner not cormac who like myself read the article in this mornings paper and took it at face value, are we to check the authenticity and source of every article we read in the national press??

Advertisement