Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I was only bringing up the bad decisions against Donegal and Down as a reason why Kildare players might be demoralised after training all year round and then having to put up with officials incompetence contributing to their exits. This year they can't blame anyone.

On our underage we have not had any silveware in the last 4 years mainly due to Dublins dominance at that level but we have been very competitive with them for the most part. When we did beat them after a replay a couple of years ago the Leinster council scheduled the final 4 days later against Longord and they were beat.

Our development squads in the last couple of years have an incredible record and are beating almost everyone they meet so the future is bright as long as the funding can be maintained.

We have been hindered at u21 level due to the manager.

Kildare have spent a lot of time and money at underage level, I've heard their spending is second only to Dublin, I don't know if that's true or not however the Dublin minor team did appear to have a convincing win over kildare this year but before the game nobody expected it. Kildare are very well regarded at minor level, they are unfortunate in that this is a very good Dublin squad at the moment.

With respect to decisions going against kildare, or injuries etc I think they are part of the road to sucess. I thought murphy's article in the herald last week was good, although he is retired now he recognised the close calls and bumps countries like Cork and Dublin had to endure before being successful.

I know it's a Kildare thread, but the Dublin model is very relevant here. A team that was there or there abouts, over hyped hammered two or three times. New manager comes in, super players like Whelan leave the squad, rocky start 2009 hammered by Kerry, 2010 narrow defeat to Cork, 2011 beat kerry in the final.

All is far from lost for Kildare, don't mind all the BS pundits throw out there, the guys are working very hard at grass roots GAA in kildare, these defeats can be used as a positive.

Like I said 2009 kerry beat Dublin by double figures, 2 years later Dublin AI Champs. Kildare fans should remember the stick that Dublin team received, and remember what can change in two years.

Kildare football is at temporary low, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Well that was a bit of a hiding lads.

This has to signal the end for this management group.
    Watching as a neutral yesterday, some of the decisions McGeeney made were criminal. Also why were Kildare happy to allow Cork move out of there own 21 without any pressure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Really enjoyed Croker yesterday even if Cork destroyed us :(
    The best team by some way won, simple as.
    Kildare just need to keep working hard and hopefully someday we might get close to Corks quality.
    Thoroughly enjoyed the Kerry v Donegal game, cracking atmosphere all ther way through.
    I tip Cork for Sam, seriously powerful outfit,i doubt any team could live with their physicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Or just trolling...:rolleyes:

A lot of people awaiting your response to yesterdays game?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Dcully gotta say your right cork were just so physical and hungry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

A lot of people awaiting your response to yesterdays game?

We'll be waiting.This poster seems only intent on derailing threads with his agenda against Dublin which is quite pathetic when Dublin isn't even an issue on the Kildare thread as the two teams didn't cross paths this championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Looking forward to Diego Maradona's take on the Kildare / Cork game, so anytime you are ready...

McGeeney to stay on for another year and then perhaps Glen Ryan to take over, in saying that not sure if McGeeney has takin' the current group of Kildare players as far as he can.

Alaska1 wrote: »
    Looking forward to Diego Maradona's take on the Kildare / Cork game, so anytime you are ready...

McGeeney to stay on for another year and then perhaps Glen Ryan to take over, in saying that not sure if McGeeney has takin' the current group of Kildare players as far as he can.

I think he has unless some new players can get blooded and make a difference.Johnny Doyle can still do a job but he is getting on.Dermot Earley is pretty much gone I think.Too injury plagued.

One thing that has been said about McGeeney is that he does not have a plan B.He seems to employ a one size fits all fixed system against all teams whether it be Cavan or Cork.

The amount of ball Cork brought from the half backs was criminal and a key reason Kildare got hammered.Obviously having a man sent off was crucial but I thought Kildare should have put an emphasis more on attack to limit Corks possession.

Abit of a nasty tone starting to creep into this thread. Sure Maradona is outspoken alot of the time but it's unfair that he be singled out by some posters. Also you'd imagine that some of the above posters would know better given the title they hold.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Abit of a nasty tone starting to creep into this thread. Sure Maradona is outspoken alot of the time but it's unfair that he be singled out by some posters. Also you'd imagine that some of the above posters would know better given the title they hold.

Well let me advise that backseat moderating is not appreciated and is against the charter first and foremost.I will warn you here and leave it at that.

Diego Maradona can sure give it but when it comes to taking it some posters need to be called out on this and believe me, he has gotten away with some trollish behaviour without being reprimanded.

• Advertisement

blackbelt wrote: »
    Well let me advise that backseat moderating is not appreciated and is against the charter first and foremost.I will warn you here and leave it at that.

Diego Maradona can sure give it but when it comes to taking it some posters need to be called out on this and believe me, he has gotten away with some trollish behaviour without being reprimanded.
    What I said cannot in any way be deemed as backseat moderation. It's simply an observation on the direction this thread seems to be taking.

Stoner wrote: »
    Kildare have spent a lot of time and money at underage level, I've heard their spending is second only to Dublin, I don't know if that's true or not however the Dublin minor team did appear to have a convincing win over kildare this year but before the game nobody expected it. Kildare are very well regarded at minor level, they are unfortunate in that this is a very good Dublin squad at the moment.

With respect to decisions going against kildare, or injuries etc I think they are part of the road to sucess. I thought murphy's article in the herald last week was good, although he is retired now he recognised the close calls and bumps countries like Cork and Dublin had to endure before being successful.

I know it's a Kildare thread, but the Dublin model is very relevant here. A team that was there or there abouts, over hyped hammered two or three times. New manager comes in, super players like Whelan leave the squad, rocky start 2009 hammered by Kerry, 2010 narrow defeat to Cork, 2011 beat kerry in the final.

All is far from lost for Kildare, don't mind all the BS pundits throw out there, the guys are working very hard at grass roots GAA in kildare, these defeats can be used as a positive.

Like I said 2009 kerry beat Dublin by double figures, 2 years later Dublin AI Champs. Kildare fans should remember the stick that Dublin team received, and remember what can change in two years.

Can't agree, Kildare haven't won a Minor Leinster since 1991.

You must remember it was the same last year when Kildare were highly regarded and Dublin beat them also.

I aint sure if it is hype etc as the 4 times I have seen Kildare minors between this year and last they were very good, Dublin are producing some serious underage sides at present, but no Minor Leinsters since 1991 is a cause for concern, IMO of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Say it before its printed or I call BS on your post!!!

Johnston was one supple was the other who are the other 2 or 3 your talking about??

I doubt you will post who it is before the article as your post stinks of BS tbh and again right before a big game the crap is thrown at Kildare gaa all I can say is yawn this is getting boring

You didn't believe me when I spoke about Supple DK so I wouldn't be saying BS yet.

McGeeney IMO hasn't got full potential out of that squad and management could do with a change.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Alaska1 wrote: »

Can't agree, Kildare haven't won a Minor Leinster since 1991.

You must remember it was the same last year when Kildare were highly regarded and Dublin beat them also.

I aint sure if it is hype etc as the 4 times I have seen Kildare minors between this year and last they were very good, Dublin are producing some serious underage sides at present, but no Minor Leinsters since 1991 is a cause for concern, IMO of course.
    Fair enough, but with the current championship format two teams can consistently progress from a Leinster, in fact there were three Leinster teams in the last 8. Look at Kerry and Cork. Plus the league is a serious competition now, anyone who disagrees need only look at how Cork and Dublin have used it and that 7 of the 8 teams remaining in the championship last Friday were from division 1, and all the remaining teams are division 1 teams (I mean had div 1 ball behind them in the championship run in)
    Kildare will have that behind them next year.

Fair enough, but with the current championship format two teams can consistently progress from a Leinster, in fact there were three Leinster teams in the last 8. Look at Kerry and Cork. Plus the league is a serious competition now, anyone who disagrees need only look at how Cork and Dublin have used it and that 7 of the 8 teams remaining in the championship last Friday were from division 1, and all the remaining teams are division 1 teams (I mean had div 1 ball behind them in the championship run in)
    Kildare will have that behind them next year.

Very good point, and as the cliche go's the League table never lies and no doubt Div.1 football will bring Kildare on, question is that if McGeeney is the man take them through the league, and also is that the best squad of players he actually has at his disposal ?

Either way something has to give / change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Sad to hear of the death of referee and hurler Tony carew of Coill Dubh, R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Disappointing game to say the least. Cork were the better team, but what disappointed me most though was the poor resistance we put up to in the latter stages. Yes we were beaten but we also threw the towel in this time with 15 mins to go which we haven’t seen in the past 4/5 years. It was a bit like the Meath game in ways in that we also seemed to give up after the game was lost.
    I don’t think Geezer should go, and I think the general consensus of Kildare fans is that he should stay. In fairness up to this year they were extremely exciting to watch, the never-say-die attitude was really trilling and probably produced the games of the years with Donegal in 11 and Down in 10. For some reason that was missing this year. We were flat course bullies for some of the weaker counties but ultimately we fizzled out badly for whatever reason. Fatigue or what?
    What now for Kildare? The team is relatively young with the exception of Doyle and Earley so were not “going through a rebuilding phase” so team will probably be similar in 13+14 Bar injuries. I suppose we have Division 1 football to “look forward to”. Maybe that will make a difference but i doubt it and can see us as the whipping boys if we continue with our current trend..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I wouldn't be overly harsh on McGeeney. I think ultimately he's got more or less as much as he could out of an unspectacular bunch of players. Kildare are better than they showed on Sunday I've no doubt, but is this bunch of players really good enough to win an All-Ireland? The answer is no.

As a Galwayman I think of the players we had when we last won it. Fallon, Joyce, Donnellan, De Paor etc That's what it takes to win an All-Ireland. We certainly have nothing of that quality now but I think this Kildare team doesn't have that quality either, and the great players that ye do have (Doyle, Earley) are nearing the end of their careers.

Cork are a powerful team though and will be very hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Joyce and Donnellan were as young as babies in '98, all those players' reputations came after their success, not before. For Kildare it's about developing what they've got, not worrying about not having a superstar. Emmet Bolton is clearly a player with the potential to be counted in that league even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Syferus wrote: »
    Joyce and Donnellan were as young as babies in '98, all those players' reputations came after their success, not before. For Kildare it's about developing what they've got, not worrying about not having a superstar. Emmet Bolton is clearly a player with the potential to be counted in that league even now.

All I was saying is that you need a few really top players to actually make the breakthrough in terms of winning an All-Ireland.

Kildare have lots of good players. But not too many that I'd class as great. To get your hands on the Sam Maguire you need those few standout players that will make the difference, especially in the forwards. There's no Stephen O'Neill, no Gooch, no Padraig Joyce. You need that level of forwards to win it outright and Kildare haven't got them. I'm not slagging Kildare by any means I like this Kildare team I'm just saying that ye're missing that x-factor. That's why I wouldn't blame McGeeney too much as he's brought this Kildare team a long way but ultimately they weren't quite good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

aidan24326 wrote: »
    All I was saying is that you need a few really top players to actually make the breakthrough in terms of winning an All-Ireland.

Kildare have lots of good players. But not too many that I'd class as great. To get your hands on the Sam Maguire you need those few standout players that will make the difference, especially in the forwards. There's no Stephen O'Neill, no Gooch, no Padraig Joyce. You need that level of forwards to win it outright and Kildare haven't got them. I'm not slagging Kildare by any means I like this Kildare team I'm just saying that ye're missing that x-factor. That's why I wouldn't blame McGeeney too much as he's brought this Kildare team a long way but ultimately they weren't quite good enough.

This is 100% spot on,i attend a decent amount of games in the county regularly and we have a lot of players just as good as the starting 15 that would do just as good a job if they were in the managers reckoning.
    However we dont have enough really top class players with that"x factor".
    We could do with the likes of Glen Ryan,Niall Buckley,Dermot Earley and Johnny Doyle in their prime slotting into this current outfit to have a serious chance of an all ireland.
    Without those type of players im afraid we will always be just lacking.
    Will it ever happen? I dont know but one things for sure we will keep trying :)

Anyone up for Donegal cork game?? Wow Donegal we're class

KFM sport apparently stAted Kildare county board have not ratified geezer for 2013 another meeting is imminent!!

Any thoughts? Seen this on fb by the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Yeah it was announced on Kfmsport twitter account a few days agothat this was gonna happen.
    Ah sure, if the team are happy to keep Geezer on who are we to argue with them?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Big week in the club championship....Sars V Leixlip being the big one, also Kevins V Allenwood should be a very entertaining game.

MDY SFC Fixtures

Saturday 8th Sept 2012 At St Conleth's Park

Sarsfields v Leixlip @4.15pm

St Laurence's v Ballymore @6.00pm

At Clane Confey v Maynooth @6.00pm

Sunday 9th September 2012

At St Conleth's Park Athy v Clane @ 6.00pm

MDY Construction Senior Football Championship Relegation Semi Finals Friday 7th Sept 2012

At Naas St Kevin's v Allenwood @7.30pm Et 2 x 10 mins

Saturday 8th Sept 2012

At Hawkfield Round Towers v Suncroft @7.30pm Et 2 x 10 mins

kildare9 wrote: »
    Big week in the club championship....Sars V Leixlip being the big one, also Kevins V Allenwood should be a very entertaining game.

MDY SFC Fixtures

Saturday 8th Sept 2012 At St Conleth's Park

Sarsfields v Leixlip @4.15pm

St Laurence's v Ballymore @6.00pm

At Clane Confey v Maynooth @6.00pm

Sunday 9th September 2012

At St Conleth's Park Athy v Clane @ 6.00pm

MDY Construction Senior Football Championship Relegation Semi Finals Friday 7th Sept 2012

At Naas St Kevin's v Allenwood @7.30pm Et 2 x 10 mins

Saturday 8th Sept 2012

At Hawkfield Round Towers v Suncroft @7.30pm Et 2 x 10 mins
    Kevin's v allenwood is game I would most like to see tbh!!

Can see sarsfields hammering leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Kevin's v allenwood is game I would most like to see tbh!!

Can see sarsfields hammering leixlip.
    from kildare GAA
    The relegation semi finals saw wins for Allenwood over St. Kevins and Suncroft over Round Towers.
    St. Kevins and Round Towers now play in a relegation final with the losers being relegated to the Intermediate grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

McGeeney confirmed to be staying on.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    McGeeney confirmed to be staying on.

Confirmed staying on alright but throw this into hat rumour mills running that he will also be under 21 manager!!

I think this could possibly be a good thing he wants to develop young talent himself before senior call ups etc. could potentially have younger players breaking through from an earlier age!!!

CILL DARA ABÚ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

Emmet Bolton nominated for an All Star. Well deserved.

Advertisement