Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Mikey Conway played at wing back in a recent challenge against Wicklow so that could potentially free up a place in the half forwards.

Quite like the sound of both Conway and Bolton bombing it forward from defence to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I wouldn't be rating conway as a half back or a sub. I think he's more of a hair dresser than a footballer. He was very poor last year by all accounts.
    I couldn't understand why Gary white wasn't getting his game last year over conway and now he's not around this year for kildare he's opted out.
    He was very outstanding all through championship for sarsfields this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I wouldn't be rating conway as a half back or a sub. I think he's more of a hair dresser than a footballer. He was very poor last year by all accounts.
    I couldn't understand why Gary white wasn't getting his game last year over conway and now he's not around this year for kildare he's opted out.

Chalky is on the panel according to the Kildare GAA website. He's due to go on a tour of duty with the army at some stage so will probably be missing for a few months but there's no indication of when that will be.

That's a bit harsh on Conway. He did miss the guts of three years due to injury. It was a great achievement for him to play again, never mind get back on the county panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Kildare hurling boss Sunderland returns http://t.co/FTUmHgii VIA GAA.ie #GAA

Good news for the hurlers.

ArielAtom wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Agree, White should really have got more game time last year. He was excellent for Sarsfields all through the club championship.

Also agree as regards Conway, the guy would be more suited to soccer as they embrace the likes of him. Great foot passer but that's where his inter county abilities end.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

fixxer wrote: »
    Good man cormac, maybe you should read the person who wrote the article instead of another journalist who wanted to spice the story up by adding the Galway link.

http://www.daraghoconchuir.ie/blog.php?all=all
    Daragh, wrote the piece about James and says he is not contemplating a Galway transfer and could be back playing for Kildare next year.

So that's you wrong again. You make it easy though which us nice.

People should really check out the full story before posting and trying to make fun of other posters, which really is not nice, and not something that we like around here. Pity the examiner editor put Daragh's name on the byline, makes him look a little silly to seem to have two different opinions, hence the blog piece

Just at the kildare match at the moment and its a fairly strong team out. 7-2 at half time.
    Great news is that Gary white won't be heading off on duty till October now he's playing today.
    Management called around to him on Thursday to ask him back. Well done Gary white this will be your year

Kildare 1-13 Carlow IT 0-7 FT

Chalky availability offsets the loss of Jimmers to some extent. He could form a good midfield partnership with Daryl Flynn. Hopefully some of the younger forwards can step up. Good to see Cathal McNally showing well and Paddy Brophy getting a half off the bench. There'll probably be plenty of changes for Wednesday night in Athy.

• Advertisement

I taught they might of put toc in to the midfield to see how he works maybe we'll see it Wednesday night.
    Nice to see some fresh faces in the forward line in the second half time but its a long way to go before championship time.
    I hate to say this but is Johnston on the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

What are you rambling about all Cormac did was post the article as it appeared in the Examiner, your beef is with the editor of the examiner not cormac who like myself read the article in this mornings paper and took it at face value, are we to check the authenticity and source of every article we read in the national press??
    Thanks for that premierstone, I find it abhorrent the way some posters carry on in here at times, attacking the poster and not the post. I trusted a National Newspaper to back up what I had been told in confidence. I see no reason to have to double check it.
    People should really check out the full story before posting and trying to make fun of other posters, which really is not nice, and not something that we like around here. Pity the examiner editor put Daragh's name on the byline, makes him look a little silly to seem to have two different opinions, hence the blog piece
    Agreed, and thank you for the post. Daragh should be careful what he allows his name to go over as well. He's a fine writer and well clued in, but it seems he got taken for a bit of a ride on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Wednesday should be good.. Great to see those jerseys gracing pitches in January :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

The dance continues, we've seen this one before.
    Galway manager Alan Mulholland has not ruled out making a move for former Kildare star James Kavanagh.

But Mulholland, who said he was surprised to hear that Kavanagh may be transferring to a club in Galway, said that any move would need to work for the Tribesmen and the player himself.

Mulholland said he was in the dark over Kavanagh's intentions after the 27-year-old last week withdrew from Kieran McGeeney's Kildare squad.

Kavanagh is poised for a move to Milltown in Co Galway, having been educated at St Jarlath's College in Tuam where he won an All-Ireland colleges' title as a wing-back in 2002, on a team that included current Galway seniors Michael Meehan, Gary Sice, Alan Burke and Niall Coleman.

"To be honest, I haven't talked to him. That's basically it. I was as surprised as anyone to hear the news," said Mulholland.

On the back of the retirement of Padraic Joyce and Joe Bergin, speculation linking the Ballymore Eustace clubman, who has been twice nominated as an All Star, with a move to the Tribesmen has intensified.

But Mulholland claims he wouldn't entertain such a swoop unless Kavanagh could really make an impact on his squad.

"If he is going to make a difference then we'll have a look at him," he said. "But that has to be the criteria for us to do anything."

The dance continues, we've seen this one before.

The Kildare lads all wish James well. No point in posting that here stating "the dance continues"

No matter what James kavanagh does more luck to him. Whether he plays for Galway or returns to Kildare setup in a year or so..

James served us well!!! And best of luck to him

Kavanagh has no intention of playing inter county football for Galway from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Thought he was very unlucky two years back not to get an allstar

Kavanagh has no intention of playing inter county football for Galway from what I've heard.
    Not what I heard.

Even if he does play for Galway that's his choice..

Great footballer shame he opted out this year..

We were actually lucky to have him last year because this has been on the cards for a few years now.
    The lads from ballymore were telling me nearly two years ago that he was building a house in galway. So more luck to him i would love to see him play for galway if he's not playing for kildare.
    Great player probably didn't get enough games last year i heard him and mcgeeney had a fallen out because he had gone to oz this time last year and wasn't around for the start of the seasons training.
    Best of luck James but you will always be a lily at heart.

• Advertisement

We were actually lucky to have him last year because this has been on the cards for a few years now.
    The lads from ballymore were telling me nearly two years ago that he was building a house in galway. So more luck to him i would love to see him play for galway if he's not playing for kildare.
    Great player probably didn't get enough games last year i heard him and mcgeeney had a fallen out because he had gone to oz this time last year and wasn't around for the start of the seasons training.
    Best of luck James but you will always be a lily at heart.
    couldnt agree more all i wish him is the very best

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fixxer

He said himself in an interview in the Nationalist this week, he has no desire to play for Galway. Here is exactly what he said " There is nothing there with Galway at all. It is obviously going to be said because I'm moving to Galway and leaving Kildare but there is nothing in it at all".

He just needed a break with work and family and hopefully he will be back next year. Read the interview he could not be more clear.

There you go straight from the horses mouth, not a journalist who wants to get extra readers or lads gossiping.

I think it's probable that he will commit again next year. There's every chance McGeeney won't be around beyond this summer.

It's a blow that he won't be an option this year in an area where we're not exactly flush with talent but I think there are many other players who would be bigger losses - Doyle, Foley and Leper are three that immediately spring to mind.

I'd wish him all the best in whatever he does. The commitment these lads give the county is savage. The days of Johnny Crofton, Davy Dalton, Glenn Ryan, Anthony Rainbow and the likes playing well into their thirties is long gone. It's a credit to Johnny Doyle that he is still playing to such a high standard heading into his fourteenth season. I don't think we'll see careers of that length again which is a shame.

cont'd..... not forgetting Ronan Sweeney too who is also in his fourteenth season. I'd be surprised if Dermot Earley makes an appearance this year but I would love to be proven wrong.

Half time in athy kildare 0-9 dit 0-5

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

ArielAtom wrote: »

havent seen any reports on his re appointment and the issues he had being sorted. Anyone know if anything has been said in Kildare about it? Only reason I ask is because there was a lengthy piece in the Wexford papers when he retired and things didnt sound good.

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/sport/hurling/sunderland-steps-down-as-kildare-hurling-manager-3345010.html

FORMER Oulart-The Ballagh supremo Willie Sunderland has quit as Kildare Senior hurling manager.

Sunderland, who took charge in 2011 and guided the team to a Division 2B title in 2012, announced his decision to the players in the dressing-room following a training session before Christmas. His entire backroom team have also quit their posts.

'I don't feel too good about it. I feel really sad and very sorry for the 25-30 players that are putting in a serious effort for me and for Kildare,' he said in an interview in the 'Sunday Independent'.

'But there have been cracks in the whole link with the County Board for the past few months and they have widened to an extent that I feel I'm just not in control of the team any more.

'We have had serious issues with basic stuff, like the availability of physios, pitches and trying to get challenge matches before we make a step up and played the likes of Westmeath, Wicklow, Laois, Kerry and Derry in Division 2A. One of my players got inujured at a Sunday morning training session and I didn't even have an ice-pack to give him, never mind a physio.

'We have been told that all county teams have to train together - hurling and football - on the same night and share physios. That's fine, but we've been designated pitch number four at Hawkfield. There are floodlights there, but the problem is they are not attached to the generator.'

Sunderland confirmed that his fellow selectors, Mattie Dowd and Don McSweeney, and coach Bertie Sherlock have all stepped down too.

The Lilywhites Board has been struggling to fight an ongoing financial crisis, with their running deficit rising to over €700,000.

The county has already been subject to a financial overseer, the former Munster Council Secretary, Simon Moroney, since April last as part of the conditions for a €300,000 cash advance from Croke Park.

'I'm a reasonable man, I know we're in very tough recessionary times and I know the County Board is in a crisis with finances,' added Sunderland.

'But from what I can see, €75,000 has been made available to Kildare hurling teams in 2013. I have to try and prepare a team to play league and championship out of that, and the Minors and Under-21s have to be looked after too.

'The bottom line is, we're being cut, cut, cut to the bone. And the future of Kildare hurling, if there is to be one, deserves better.'

if nothing else, he is a good man to have there, and hopefully will bring Kildare hurling on another step. Some of the work done by clubs like Celbridge too should be acknowledged, and it would be disappointing to see finance problems from other areas ruining hurling there.

Full Time: Kildare 0-12 0-8 DIT

Full Time: Kildare 0-12 0-8 DIT

What was the team like this evening? Pretty much full strength again or did the young 'uns get a chance to impress?

full_irish wrote: »
    What was the team like this evening? Pretty much full strength again or did the young 'uns get a chance to impress?
    Connolly, Lyons, Foley, McGrillen, Bolton, Conway, P Kelly, White, P O'Neill, Flanagan, McNally, M O'Flaherty, R Kelly, O'Connor and Daniel Flynn.

Michael Konstantin, Johnny Doyle, Podge Fogarty, Eoghan O'Flaherty and Hugh Lynch all came on as subs.

Scorers: Conway 0-3, Cathal McNally 0-2, John Doyle 0-2, P O'Neill 0-1, Daniel Flynn 0-1, Emmet Bolton 0-1, T O'Connor 0-1, Peter Kelly 0-1.

Gary White was sent off.

• Advertisement

CILL DARA ABÚ

Advertisement