Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I love the way if you are installed as favourites you are automatically labeled as cocky :rolleyes:

How anyone could call the Cork footballers cocky is beyond me I have never seen anything to back this up and they are very rarely in the media. Cork are also a far far better team than they were 4 years ago, that game has zero relevance to this weekend.

Corks biggest problem will be, and with all due to Clare, they haven't had a competitive game since the Munster Semi Final, 8 weeks ago.

We were saying there cockiness 4 years ago could drive Kildare stop making bad of the discussion please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

We were saying there cockiness 4 years ago could drive Kildare stop making bad of the discussion please

There was no cockiness 4 years ago and as I have said it's two very different teams, I guess if Kildare need to invent something like that to motivate themselves it sums it up really.

As an aside, I dont need your permission to post my opinions or views on a public forum, use PM's if ye want to have a one and one made up dicussion, thank you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Cork won't be taking Kildare for granted but I still expect to see Cork win. Kildare are a top 8 team and apart from winning a division 2 title this year against an understrength Tyrone team, having being lucky to get out of Salthill with a draw against Galway, I have seen nothing to suggest they can go on to beat Cork who are a whole level above the likes of Tyrone,Galway and Meath.

The lack of quality forwards is a huge issue for Kildare and midfield would be another sector I expect Cork to win out.If Kildare are to win this game, they need to be very clever with their own kickouts (possible out to the wings) to get some more attacks launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

kencoo wrote: »
    I was at the last Game 1/4 final with Kildare vs Cork 4 years ago. Cork had a storming start when they banged in two goals and 3 points to no score in the first 20 minutes. The cork players were actually strolling around laughing at that point.
    They still only beat us by a goal in the end with 15 men behind the ball in the last minute.... Those kildare players remember that laughter id say.... bring it on!!!!

Have to agree, if four years ago are anything to go by Cork's cockiness and arrogance, coupled with their current lack of competitive matches, points very much to a Kildare ambush on Sunday. And lest we forget, Kildare are a lot better now then they were four years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

i've nothing concrete to back it up but i personally feel we are going to hop off Cork this Sunday,i think the Sunday game will be gas stuff with lots of digging upwards and reversing noises as the boys fawn over Kildare and the new contenders in town :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

LOL.. Cork are the new cocky team ... and Kerry are the new chokers .... It's great to be a Dub !!

This Cork team is a juggernaut .. a complacent team with their best forwards injured got rightly beaten by Mayo last year ... lesson learned, it won't happen again. Kildare will have to meet them head on, there's no doubt that Cork do cough up opportunities to you most likely at the start of the match ... so there's no warm comfort blanket to telling yourself Kildare are a 2nd half team. Kildare need to start well take their opportunities early and show that same vigour in defence. Cork have probably 2 of the best 3 freetakers out there ..frees are their lifeline when things aren't going 100% for them, so Bolton and the boys will be well served to keep their discipline coz Cork have a knack for winning soft frees when it counts.

I can't see Kildare reaching anything near parity in midfield, so there's an onus on the ball carriering wing backs to take the game up the pitch to Cork. I'm looking forward to the game, personally I think it's the best game of the weekend.

If kildare are to announce themselves on the big stage, no better way than beating the best team out there .. good luck

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DoctaDee wrote: »
    so there's no warm comfort blanket to telling yourself Kildare are a 2nd half team.

I agree, they are the best team out there IMHO and should be going for a possible 3 in a row. up to last year I was looking at cork as the team that Dublin def did not have the ability to unlock. Going back to league games, and the 2010 championship the so called fittest team around (Dublin (or kildare depending on which lie to buy into) failed towards the end against Cork, if Kildare kick on in the second half I'd say fair play to them, Cork are one team that are well able for that intensity for the full duration of a game, I'd Imagine that you'd need a goal or two on them going into the last 10 min, and I don't know if Kildare have that in them. If they do they do, best of luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

As much as it pains to say it Kildare are seriously up against it with cork tbh!! Cork are a fabulous team great attack great defense and powerful midfield!!!

But Kildare are fighters and I know for a fact the lads expect to beat cork which is a huge positive for us as our lads don't fear them!! Respect them hugely though as IMO they are the best team in QF draw!!!

Either way we win we break the supposed curse of not beating a top 4 team and lose and we can build on this year and thank lads for another long summer!!!

I'll be throwing 25 euro on Kildare anyways as cork are obvious favourites.

After the Sligo game I'm delighted to get back to HQ

Also thanks to all Kildare team and squad I know two or three use this forum or browse through it anyways!!!!

So let's get behind them lads :)

CILL DARA ABÚ

If you get beaten this weekend, which is expected and you are happy with the 'long' summer you have had you don't take much pleasing.

It will be another poor year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

blackbelt wrote: »
    Cork won't be taking Kildare for granted but I still expect to see Cork win. Kildare are a top 8 team and apart from winning a division 2 title this year against an understrength Tyrone team, having being lucky to get out of Salthill with a draw against Galway, I have seen nothing to suggest they can go on to beat Cork who are a whole level above the likes of Tyrone,Galway and Meath.

The lack of quality forwards is a huge issue for Kildare and midfield would be another sector I expect Cork to win out.If Kildare are to win this game, they need to be very clever with their own kickouts (possible out to the wings) to get some more attacks launched.

I thought Kildare were the better side in Salthill.

The nothing to suggest line is laughable too. Kildare looked a very promising side and this year have dipped a small bit. But they definitely will put it up to Cork.

But you obviously have an axe to grind with Kildare for whatever reason so there is not much more point in commenting further with you.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    LOL.. Cork are the new cocky team ... and Kerry are the new chokers .... It's great to be a Dub !!

This Cork team is a juggernaut .. a complacent team with their best forwards injured got rightly beaten by Mayo last year ... lesson learned, it won't happen again. Kildare will have to meet them head on, there's no doubt that Cork do cough up opportunities to you most likely at the start of the match ... so there's no warm comfort blanket to telling yourself Kildare are a 2nd half team. Kildare need to start well take their opportunities early and show that same vigour in defence. Cork have probably 2 of the best 3 freetakers out there ..frees are their lifeline when things aren't going 100% for them, so Bolton and the boys will be well served to keep their discipline coz Cork have a knack for winning soft frees when it counts.

I can't see Kildare reaching anything near parity in midfield, so there's an onus on the ball carriering wing backs to take the game up the pitch to Cork. I'm looking forward to the game, personally I think it's the best game of the weekend.

If kildare are to announce themselves on the big stage, no better way than beating the best team out there .. good luck

Sums up my opinion on the two teams.I couldn't put it better myself. I also think Kildares wides tally will come back to haunt them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

AGC wrote: »
    If you get beaten this weekend, which is expected and you are happy with the 'long' summer you have had you don't take much pleasing.

It will be another poor year.

Based on what standards? I've seen so many people who've been knocking Kildare all year turning up before this game to tell them if they lose to the antepost favourite in the quarter final it'll be a disappointing year.

What's the logic there? You either think they're sh!t or you don't, sticking the boot in both ways is kiddie stuff. Very petty indeed.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Based on what standards? I've seen so many people who've been knocking Kildare all year turning up before this game to tell them if they lose to the antepost favourite in the quarter final it'll be a disappointing year.

What's the logic there? You either think they're sh!t or you don't, sticking the boot in both ways is kiddie stuff. Very petty indeed.

They have beaten 2 teams in 70 minutes this year, Offaly and Sligo, Offaly are division 4. They scrapped by Limerick(very lucky to get ET) and were well beaten by Meath, again division 3 and 4 teams.

That is not a good year, simple as. If they come out and shock Cork at the weekend I may change my opinion but they are not in the top 5/6 teams in the country.

The nothing to suggest line is laughable too. Kildare looked a very promising side and this year have dipped a small bit. But they definitely will put it up to Cork.

But you obviously have an axe to grind with Kildare for whatever reason so there is not much more point in commenting further with you.

I haven't agreed much with a certain poster here in the past but Lemlin summed it up, say anything remotely negative about Kildare and you have an axe to grind.

I don't have much love for Cork either just to let you know but as a neutral Kildare are a good team but not a great team.I just don't see anything to suggest at this moment that Kildare will beat Cork.When it comes to championship football against the likes of Down and Donegal, Kildare failed to win and I rate Cork significantly higher than Down and just a little bit above Donegal.

They have beaten 2 teams in 70 minutes this year, Offaly and Sligo, Offaly are division 4. They scrapped by Limerick(very lucky to get ET) and were well beaten by Meath, again division 3 and 4 teams.

That is not a good year, simple as. If they come out and shock Cork at the weekend I may change my opinion but they are not in the top 5/6 teams in the country.

They won division two of the league and are in the last 8 of the championship.

Unless they are a top four team they've had a good league and played exactly to expectation in the championship.

"Simple as" is about the only argument you're going to have on this one, they're either a top four team - in which case a loss on Sunday would constitute a slightly below par year - or they aren't in which case it's a minimum a decent year at a minimum.

Unless they are a top four team they've had a good league and played exactly to expectation in the championship.

"Simple as" is about the only argument you're going to have on this one, they're either a top four team - in which case a loss on Sunday would constitute a slightly below par year - or they aren't in which case it's a minimum a decent year at a minimum.

No it's not. All we see week in week out is articles saying they are top 4 on power rankings etc...

They have had 3-4 years where they are meant to be progressing and they haven't. For it to be a good year they need to be progressing, not getting to quater finals through the back door by beating and getting beaten by poor teams.

Surely after a semi final in 2010 they have taken steps back over thelast couple of years? Was it 2010 when Kildare destroyed Meath? Now they are easily beaten by a team who themselves have had massive problems

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Don't forget Cavan :pac:
    But I agree with that. They've only played teams who will be in divisions 3 and 4 next season and haven't even managed to win all of those games. They will have up their performance immensely from these games against Cork to have any hope.

The key words are "looked a very promising side". But the only teams of any note they've beaten since McGeeney took over are Meath and Derry. Cork are lightyears ahead of the teams they've played so far this season and there has been nothing to suggest that Kildare will beat them on Sunday.
    That's not to say that they won't. There was also nothing to suggest we would beat Kildare in the Leinster semi final but we ran out comfortable winners in the end. Maybe the underdogs tag will suit Kildare.
    I'm also getting a little sick of the "axe to grind" comments from some people. People are allowed have honest negative opinions of some teams and painting it as "having an axe to grind" comes across as very childish.

No it's not. All we see week in week out is articles saying they are top 4 on power rankings etc...

Link?

Decent/good yes but great no.The league was a mixed bag until the last few rounds and is progress for getting Kildare ready for championships in the future for the championship by playing the top teams in Division 1. Kildare are a top 8 team.You don't reach a quarter final 5 years in a row not to be but I would say they are 7th behind Cork,Dublin,Kerry,Donegal,Mayo,Down.

Before any Kildare fans jump on my back, take a step back and realise this is the truth of the matter.The championship has been quite poor.Meath got the better of them and Limerick nearly dumped them out if they had been a bit cynical at the end,Kildare could have been gone.

The way I see it is if Kildare lose this Sunday, they would have gained longer term while having regressed short term in the championship stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

blackbelt wrote: »
    ....say anything remotely negative about Kildare and you have an axe to grind.

Please don't think this is representative of all Kildare fans...

http://experiencemore.ie/experience-speaks/2012/05/29/power-rankings-week-three

Go through the different weeks. Also 4th fav at start of the year to win the all ireland with most bookies.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/football-rankings-martin-breheny-gives-his-verdict-on-the-state-of-play-2959844.html

I am not going to try dig out articles from months gone by but plenty have fancied Kildare and talk them up.

I actually think Kildare have a strong panel and should be competing a lot more, I am surprised there hasn't been more pressure put on McGeeney because that is where the fault lies IMO.

• Advertisement

http://experiencemore.ie/experience-speaks/2012/05/29/power-rankings-week-three

Go through the different weeks. Also 4th fav at start of the year to win the all ireland with most bookies.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/football-rankings-martin-breheny-gives-his-verdict-on-the-state-of-play-2959844.html

I am not going to try dig out articles from months gone by but plenty have fancied Kildare and talk them up.

So by the standards of two journalists (one a very obviously biased Kildare man who later admitted he had overestimated them) who you don't even agree with in the first place.

Winning Division 2 putting themselves in the top 8 of the league, and getting to the last 8 of the championship is a bad year for a team who are somewhere between 6th and 8th in the country in your estimation?

What would be a good year for a team who are, say, sixth best in the country?

ColHol wrote: »
    Please don't think this is representative of all Kildare fans...

No I know it is not a general reflection but it seems to be a recurring theme on this forum.If Kildare win on Sunday, it will have been great year as they would have showed they can beat a top three team.They may even run Cork close and lose but this is a results based game.

Promotion to Division 1 was a secondary/tertiary objective reached.Winning Leinster was a secondary objective failed and the jury is still out until Sunday.

I rather see fans keep their feet on the ground beforehand rather than eat humble pie come the final whistle on big match days.I just think Cork will win with no disrespect to Kildare.

So by the standards of two journalists (one a very obviously biased Kildare man who later admitted he had overestimated them) who you don't even agree with in the first place.

Winning Division 2 putting themselves in the top 8 of the league, and getting to the last 8 of the championship is a bad year for a team who are somewhere between 6th and 8th in the country in your estimation?

What would be a good year for a team who are, say, sixth best in the country?

As I have said I think they are a better team then they have proved over the last few years.

Even for a team ranked between 5-8 in the country surely you have to accept results are not good enough? They are beating poor teams and getting beaten by average teams.

It has been the same the last couple of years where they loose out in Leinster(To teams tehy should be winning against), play a couple of lower ranked teams in the qualifiers, get beaten by a team like Down, who Kildare should be well able to beat, and people are calling it a good year?

Bar last year in Leinster they have lost out to Louth and Meath in the other 3 years. tehy should be winning well against these teams and should comfortably be the second best team in Leinster and pushing Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

I cant see Cork loosing & I’d love Kildare to win but will accept defeat (if that happens) so long as it’s a fair game and we are not knocked out by poor refereeing decisions. Cork is a big strong team and should have aspirations to bring Sam back this year given that they are back to full strength again. Despite what the critics say we lost the last 3 quarters & 1 semi by just fingertips which is better than most counties can muster so they should run Cork close.

We were beaten by Down (controversially) who were excellent that year. Cork another year, and Dublin (controversially) in the leinster final last year. All of those teams got to or won the AI final and the difference between us & them was marginal.

We have not been great this year by comparisons however if we listened to the critics we should have been beaten by a host of teams this year who could easily pick out our "weaknesses"...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

kencoo wrote: »

We were beaten by Down (controversially) who were excellent that year. Cork another year, and Dublin (controversially) in the leinster final last year. All of those teams got to or won the AI final and the difference between us & them was marginal.

We have not been great this year by comparisons however if we listened to the critics we should have been beaten by a host of teams this year who could easily pick out our "weaknesses"...

I have to disagree, the difference between Dublin and Kildare was not Marginal. I saw this as a supporter who has seen his county being subjected to many many close defeats, drawing with Kerry, beaten by a point by Armagh, beaten by Cork by a point.

Against Kerry were Dublin unlucky, nobody though so, got "hammered " in the replay Kerry were much better, forget about the draw, nobody cared.
    Against Armagh, one point game were Dublin unlucky? no Armagh's manager was smarter made the right decision at the right time.
    Against cork in 2010, should Dublin have won? Dublin ran out of steam and ideas in the last ten minutes, Cork did not.
    If Dublin had been beaten by Kerry by a point last year everyone would say they were failures, in fact many people think they were lucky, I think on this occasion Dublin had the smarter management team and managed the momentum and subs the best and won.

Kildare are a decent side, are they top four? in fairness it's not the fans saying this its pundits looking to spice things up with a new kid on the block. doing well in the league is not really doing well if there is a whole league above you. In fact when you look at it every remaining team in the championship played in a higher league than Kildare this year, so relatively speaking of the teams that are left you could put forward a case that Kildare's league form is the least beneficial to them.

But since 1995 I've seen a lot of close "marginal" contests and three hammerings, but I have also learned that the difference between winning and loosing is not really reflected in a point, or a lucky goal. There is a considerable difference between winning and loosing that is not always reflected in the one point margin. When I look back on the games and the difference in the Dublin set up last year compared to those years the gap is easier to see, Dublin lost all those games for good reasons, and won last year for good reasons.

I don't really mind who wins this one, I'd like to see Kildare win the All Ireland at some stage because I know what it is like to keep missing the target year after year and winning the all Ireland last year was a wonderful experience and I honestly would wish that the Kildare supporters get to experience that as they show up in numbers and there are plenty of them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Irish examiner meant to be running a story on another of Geezers transfer targets tomorrow, will be interesting to see which one it is.

celt262 wrote: »
    Irish examiner meant to be running a story on another of Geezers transfer targets tomorrow, will be interesting to see which one it is.

Which one it is?? Can you provide a list of transfer targets?

Won't be at the cork game am on holidays with my little family!! But I wanna wish both teams all the best and I'll be cheering ye on from a comfy barstool lads!!

I can honestly say this is do or die I'm nervous yet excited so excited!!

Kildare have it all to prove I know it's hard to take in though all pundits stirring etc it's unfair on amateur footballers to be subjected to **** that has been thrown at them to be fair. But with Johnston drama and mediocre results hasn't helped us in all fairness.

I hope ye can do it lads I honestly do but if you don't I'll be there with regulars in conleths roaring the aul lungs out come the league

CILL DARA ABÚ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Which one it is?? Can you provide a list of transfer targets?

Won't be at the cork game am on holidays with my little family!! But I wanna wish both teams all the best and I'll be cheering ye on from a comfy barstool lads!!

I have heard of four and three are suposed to definate, the fourth is just a rumour, i will let you know tomorrow i want to see if it is one of the ones i was told about.

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    I have heard of four and three are suposed to definate, the fourth is just a rumour, i will let you know tomorrow i want to see if it is one of the ones i was told about.

Say it before its printed or I call BS on your post!!!

Johnston was one supple was the other who are the other 2 or 3 your talking about??

I doubt you will post who it is before the article as your post stinks of BS tbh and again right before a big game the crap is thrown at Kildare gaa all I can say is yawn this is getting boring

Advertisement