Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

packiec50 wrote: »
    Isn't it 3500 season ticket holders. The other 1500 are cairde maigh eo members?

If they have a season ticket they are entitled to entry to the game. Not sure what Cairde Maigh Eo members are entitled to. Don't know how many season ticket holders are in Kildare but doubt it is a significant number. After season ticket holders are accommodated, the remaining tickets will likely go on general sale. Between season tickets and what they pick up in the general sale, Mayo fans will likely outnumber Kildare. Doubt many Kildare fans were that interested anyway before they felt they were being done an injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

glack wrote: »
    Mayo haven't sold as many as they want to. There are far less season tickets in Mayo than in Dublin. Mayo have limited the amount of Cairdre tickets they have put up for sale. The season ticket scheme guarantees a ticket unless the capacity is insufficient - that is not the case here. I'll quite happily stand in the terrace like I did for the league!

Dublin and Mayo have the full allocation of ST sold.Only two counties that fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭glack

yabadabado wrote: »
    Dublin and Mayo have the full allocation of ST sold.Only two counties that fill it.

Well then why are there More Dublin Season Tickets then? They even have some that are for the upper Cusack in later rounds of the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Well then why are there More Dublin Season Tickets then? They even have some that are for the upper Cusack in later rounds of the Championship.

Both have 3500 which is the full allocation of The GAA Season.

Parnell Pass is another different scheme which used to have high numbers and probably still does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

The GAA should get official clarification from Kildare that they will no fulfil the fixture, give Mayo the walkover and give Cavan the option of Brewster Park again since there's no double-header. The sooner certainty is achieved the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

yabadabado wrote: »
    Both have 3500 which is the full allocation of The GAA Season.

Parnell Pass is another different scheme which used to have high numbers and probably still does.

Parnell issue hasn't changed since 2011 or 2012. It's around 5,000. Downside is that allocation to clubs is paltry. Gavin's own club got 40 for final last year!

Solution to the ST situation if game was in Newbridge - assuming clubs will get allocation so ST issue would be reduced - could be to credit those with high attendances to date if they don't get one.

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that GAA will give in. They made it a fait d'accompli by selling tickets for CP within hours of the draw. They will also not want to set a precedent by being seen to give in.

It is awful mess, and hard to see any solution. Would be a pity if Kildare's year ended by conceding a walkover but I can understand the point being made.

Bonniedog wrote: »

They made it a fait d'accompli by selling tickets for CP within hours of the draw.

Somebody, yourself maybe, said yesterday that putting out tickets so quickly was a sleeveen move, but the draw was made on a Monday and the match is on five days later so I'd have expected the tickets to be available very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Absolutely scandalous comments from Ned Quinn. "I wouldn't describe it as crowd trouble but..." That's exactly what you are saying. This cannot be allowed to stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭largepants

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    If they have a season ticket they are entitled to entry to the game. Not sure what Cairde Maigh Eo members are entitled to. Don't know how many season ticket holders are in Kildare but doubt it is a significant number. After season ticket holders are accommodated, the remaining tickets will likely go on general sale. Between season tickets and what they pick up in the general sale, Mayo fans will likely outnumber Kildare. Doubt many Kildare fans were that interested anyway before they felt they were being done an injustice.

And you know this how?

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »

This phrase seems to confirm the situation:

[
    I]Under the GAA Official Guide r3.47 (a), the Central Competitions Control Committee has overall responsibility for Competition Scheduling and Arrangements for and Control of Games under the jurisdiction of the Central Council. Under the GAA Official Guide r7.11(e)(3), there is no right of appeal against a decision of the Central Competitions Control Committee or a Provincial Competitions Control Committee with regard to arrangements for the date and venue of a Game.[/I]

What your man is arguing is more or less that they have an outside chance if they can somehow argue it was "unreasonable" and "irrational". When health and safety is being mentioned I'd say those arguments will not easily be made, and in fairness it looks as if Kildare have no interest in making them either in the form of an proper appeal as they are just talking about mad stuff like togging out at a venue where the match is not on! :confused:

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Somebody, yourself maybe, said yesterday that putting out tickets so quickly was a sleeveen move, but the draw was made on a Monday and the match is on five days later so I'd have expected the tickets to be available very quickly.

It was me, and I do believe it was.

It was when people went on line to buy tickets, assuming it was in Newbridge, that was first they knew of the change.

It hardly left much time to "consult" with Kildare. not sure that they even did, apart from informing them of the move.

Anyway, it is not going to be moved, so remains to be seen if Kildare will follow through.

It is not of Cavan's making, but what genius decided to renovate Breffni at this time of the year? And what in god's name possessed them to want to play Tyrone in Croke Park rather than Enniskillen, or even Clones to cater for a larger crowd?

Quite clear from re-reading the Kildare statement that KCB was simply informed of the move, and that no consideration was given by CP to the assurances from either KCB or the Gardaí.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It was me, and I do believe it was.

It was when people went on line to buy tickets, assuming it was in Newbridge, that was first they knew of the change.

It hardly left much time to "consult" with Kildare. not sure that they even did, apart from informing them of the move.

But what consulting was needed? I am fairly sure that Kildare were told when and where the match was on alright. Maybe not every supporter was aware of it until they went to purchase tickets but it's hardly as if it was not in the public domain at all.

And I would say that the issuing of tickets on the Monday ahead of a Saturday game would be a fairly regular occurrence. I don't think the implication that it was tactical stands up. Like, when were the supposed to issue tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

deiseach wrote: »
    Absolutely scandalous comments from Ned Quinn. "I wouldn't describe it as crowd trouble but..." That's exactly what you are saying. This cannot be allowed to stand.

Very poor interview. Did not come across well.

But what consulting was needed? I am fairly sure that Kildare were told when and where the match was on alright. Maybe not every supporter was aware of it until they went to purchase tickets but it's hardly as if it was not in the public domain at all.

And I would say that the issuing of tickets on the Monday ahead of a Saturday game would be a fairly regular occurrence. I don't think the implication that it was tactical stands up. Like, when were the supposed to issue tickets?

It seems clear from KCB statement that they were only told AFTER they had emailed their plans to host the game to the CCCC. By that stage tickets were already on sale which calls into question when the CCCC met to discuss this. Unless they have one of those teleporters from Star Trek I imagine the logistics of getting them all together takes more time than it took to put the tickets up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Cian O'Neil has called a press conference for 5pm today. Must be worried that his voice is getting lost amongst all the other contributors in the media on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

This phrase seems to confirm the situation:

[
    I]Under the GAA Official Guide r3.47 (a), the Central Competitions Control Committee has overall responsibility for Competition Scheduling and Arrangements for and Control of Games under the jurisdiction of the Central Council. Under the GAA Official Guide r7.11(e)(3), there is no right of appeal against a decision of the Central Competitions Control Committee or a Provincial Competitions Control Committee with regard to arrangements for the date and venue of a Game.[/I]

What your man is arguing is more or less that they have an outside chance if they can somehow argue it was "unreasonable" and "irrational". When health and safety is being mentioned I'd say those arguments will not easily be made, and in fairness it looks as if Kildare have no interest in making them either in the form of an proper appeal as they are just talking about mad stuff like togging out at a venue where the match is not on! :confused:
    You seem to have intentionally left out the rest of the article, namely the most important point
    “Kildare can argue that CCCC is unreasonably in breach of r6.28(A) (v) (2): ‘Home Venues SHALL be used in Rounds 1, 2 and 3 of the All-Ireland Qualifier Series, with first Team drawn having Home Advantage’ and only exception is ‘Venues for Rd 4 shall be determined by CCCC’.
    In other words there is no exception allowed for in their own rules to remove home advantage here. If they are allowed to retrospectively change their own rules it makes a mockery of having rules in the first place.
    Kildare are absolutely right to take a stance on this and fair play to them for doing so.
    What is really at play here is money - the GAA want a double header in Croker (most likely this is down to a contract with Sky) and now they are in a bind due to breaking their own rules.

howiya wrote: »
    Cian O'Neil has called a press conference for 5pm today. Must be worried that his voice is getting lost amongst all the other contributors in the media on this issue.

He would want to be careful not to get too caught up with this at the expense of preparing the team for Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 treble1999

The season ticket scheme guarantees a ticket unless the capacity is insufficient - that is not the case here. I'll quite happily stand in the terrace like I did for the league!

If it was in Newbridge I dont understand why Mayo supporters think they would get half the tickets. After Kildare look after their own season ticket holders and clubs, Mayo would get a very small allocation of tickets

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    He would want to be careful not to get too caught up with this at the expense of preparing the team for Saturday!

That's my attitude to it. Fully support Kildare's case but he should be leaving it to the Kildare county board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LandersDublin

That's my attitude to it. Fully support Kildare's case but he should be leaving it to the Kildare county board

He has every right to get his ducks in row, this whole debacle has over taken the circumstances. Its a ****ty situation and its the CCCC not going by the letter of the law which they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Walsh Park should will possibly, will, might be ready for the 100th Anniversary of the Civil War :rolleyes: I doubt the Waterford County board got any extra money for relinquishing home venue, they don't have the brains to negotiate a deal like that

Hope Kildare stick to their guns, they are 100% right

I'm sure you're right. The Waterford County Board got a vague promise that we'd be looked after if we kept the games in-province, but as a wise man once said, a verbal contract ain't worth the paper it's written on. What I will say is that I have no doubt Kildare's bolshieness is informed by Waterford's fate in this year's hurling championship. We've played 125 of our 184 Munster championship games prior to this year (yes, I have counted) at neutral venues so I think there was an assumption that it wouldn't make much difference to add a couple more this year. Lordy, have we learned the hard way how wrong that was, and Kildare will have seen our games and thought 'uh-uh, not happening to us'.

He has every right to get his ducks in row, this whole debacle has over taken the circumstances. Its a ****ty situation and its the CCCC not going by the letter of the law which they should be.

A team manager should be spending his time preparing his team. One statement by him is enough unless he's got something different to say. He's been on KFM this morning and now he's going to have a press conference at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

How will Kildare fans feel next week if you are out of the championship after not kicking a ball? This is looking the reality right now Will O'Neill back down later on?

A team manager should be spending his time preparing his team. One statement by him is enough unless he's got something different to say. He's been on KFM this morning and now he's going to have a press conference at 5pm.

Yes i understand but for a start Kildare panel wont meet till 7, as long as he contributes to the build up with the selectors the team arent second best in it. He needs to ensure he isnt bowled over and just acceeds to the GAA requests.

How will Kildare fans feel next week if you are out of the championship after not kicking a ball? This is looking the reality right now Will O'Neill back down later on?

I dont think he will, im sure his statement was checked off by county board before issuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Morrissey on RTE news towing the GAA line. No surprises there I spoze

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

So be it.

GAA grassroots in the county are right behind the stance being taken.

https://twitter.com/ClaneGAA/status/1011367271799951361

https://twitter.com/MoorefieldGaa/status/1011373630129917954

https://twitter.com/SashGAA/status/1011375852448305153

https://twitter.com/KilcockGAA/status/1011500145563914240

With the GPA rowing in behind Kildare it would be great if Mayo now publicly backed them as well and stated they would turn up in Newbridge as well. That might not be as mad as it sounds. For one it would give Mayo back some advantage psychologically. Secondly it would force the GAA to back down as there is no way they would risk throwing out both teams. It probably won't happen but it would be some show of strength by players/counties against the GAA if it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭franklyon

Won't happen, sympathy as a Mayo man for Kildare but this has nothing to do with us.

Advertisement