Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Powerhouse wrote: »
    Somebody, yourself maybe, said yesterday that putting out tickets so quickly was a sleeveen move, but the draw was made on a Monday and the match is on five days later so I'd have expected the tickets to be available very quickly.

It was me, and I do believe it was.

It was when people went on line to buy tickets, assuming it was in Newbridge, that was first they knew of the change.

It hardly left much time to "consult" with Kildare. not sure that they even did, apart from informing them of the move.

Anyway, it is not going to be moved, so remains to be seen if Kildare will follow through.

It is not of Cavan's making, but what genius decided to renovate Breffni at this time of the year? And what in god's name possessed them to want to play Tyrone in Croke Park rather than Enniskillen, or even Clones to cater for a larger crowd?

Quite clear from re-reading the Kildare statement that KCB was simply informed of the move, and that no consideration was given by CP to the assurances from either KCB or the Gardaí.

Re Cavan, we don’t get the luxury of playing every second game in Croker like the Leinster teams so it’s a real novelty for us to play a game in Croke Park. We’ve only played two games there since 1997 in the championship and both were in 2013.

I’ve a 5 year old daughter and it will be her first time seeing her home county play in Croke Park.

Regarding the redevelopment, it had to go ahead and is a once a decade job. The county board had no idea we would get two home ties in the qualifiers at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Isn't that the usual attitude though - nothing to do with us boss. Whilst I agree it probably won't happen, it would be hugely refreshing if Mayo did stand alongside a fellow county if (as appears to be the case) they fully agree with the stance taken by Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Mayo have backed Kildare to not play in Croker, statement from the Mayo County board read: we are in favour of keeping the game in Newbridge as it's the closest to silverware we will get all year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Barlett

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Isn't that the usual attitude though - nothing to do with us boss. Whilst I agree it probably won't happen, it would be hugely refreshing if Mayo did stand alongside a fellow county if (as appears to be the case) they fully agree with the stance taken by Kildare.

Fair point and I do agree - but every county suits themselves in the end - Kildare included

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

According to boylesports: "Cian O'Neill's press conference has been cancelled...Are Kildare going to backtrack??"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

evil_seed wrote: »
    Mayo have backed Kildare to not play in Croker, statement from the Mayo County board read: we are in favour of keeping the game in Newbridge as it's the closest to silverware we will get all year!

tenor.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Ceist_Beag wrote: »

It certainly was the attitude of Kildare when Longford had to move away from Pearse Park to play Kildare a few years back because the ground wasn't suitable. Kildare didn't turn up and tug out at Pearse Park. They went instead to where the match was. Funny how they wouldn't stand alongside a fellow county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

franklyon wrote: »
    Won't happen, sympathy as a Mayo man for Kildare but this has nothing to do with us.

Until you're drawn at home against the Dubs but it is moved to Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

ixus wrote: »

McHale Park is hardly a fortress for Mayo, so I doubt they'd care tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Should be Parnell Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It certainly was the attitude of Kildare when Longford had to move away from Pearse Park to play Kildare a few years back because the ground wasn't suitable. Kildare didn't turn up and tug out at Pearse Park. They went instead to where the match was. Funny how they wouldn't stand alongside a fellow county.

The ground wasn't suitable because the terrace is sinking.totally different from what is happening here.

yabadabado wrote: »
    The ground wasn't suitable because the terrace is sinking.totally different from what is happening here.

The terrace sinking doesn't qualify as a health and safety issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

McHale park can hold 30,000 plus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭howiya

McHale park can hold 30,000 plus

Ned Quinn and the CCC may decide that they could probably sell 40,000 tickets and it should be moved to Croke Park. That's the logic that has been presented.

howiya wrote: »
    Ned Quinn and the CCC may decide that they could probably sell 40,000 tickets and it should be moved to Croke Park. That's the logic that has been presented.

Who in the CCC said that the game was being moved in order to sell more tickets? I’ve heard only health and safety mentioned as a reason but this is a new departure. Hava you a link at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭howiya

Who in the CCC said that the game was being moved in order to sell more tickets? I’ve heard only health and safety mentioned as a reason but this is a new departure. Hava you a link at all?

Ned Quinn. On the wireless this morning. Also made remarks that Mayo and Kildare fans might start trouble outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭franklyon

Won't happen, sympathy as a Mayo man for Kildare but this has nothing to do with us.

Fine with me. :D We play our best in those wide open spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Do you really need one.?
    Health +safety bullshíť, and as for crowd trouble !! Quinn should come out and apologise for that stupid remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

For Kildare fans;

Do you really think O'Neill and co. should be handed their notice if push comes to shove and we concede at the 11th hour and end up in Croker? See plenty of Kildare men vowing to totally boycott the lads if we give in and tbh I think it's abit ott.

We are 100% fighting the right fight and I'm glad of the strong stance the county has taken...but I appreciate we're up against an absolute immovable tyranny like juggernaut that is the GAA and when it comes down to it...we ain't gonna win. If the option is Croke Park, I will go out and support the lads because I bloody love my county.

Even if we lose, the movement of this week will have shook the GAA. The absolute vast majority of the country has stood with Kildare on this and god help the GAA in the next controversial move because more people than ever are smelling the coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

John.Icy wrote: »
    For Kildare fans;

Do you really think O'Neill and co. should be handed their notice if push comes to shove and we concede at the 11th hour and end up in Croker? See plenty of Kildare men vowing to totally boycott the lads if we give in and tbh I think it's abit ott.

We are 100% fighting the right fight and I'm glad of the strong stance the county has taken...but I appreciate we're up against an absolute immovable tyranny like juggernaut that is the GAA and when it comes down to it...we ain't gonna win. If the option is Croke Park, I will go out and support the lads because I bloody love my county.

Even if we lose, the movement of this week will have shook the GAA. The absolute vast majority of the country has stood with Kildare on this and god help the GAA in the next controversial move because more people than ever are smelling the coffee.

No. I think that they are right to make a stand. No matter how this plays out they are our team and we should support them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

We play our best in those wide open spaces.
    The record wouldnt support that statment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Actually, I think it would,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Will Kildare get a handshake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Stand actually, Terrace was still sound, Capacity was greatly reduced as a result though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

IRE60 wrote: »
    The record wouldnt support that statment.

Mayo's Croke Park record since 2011.

Played 22
    Won 11
    Draw 5
    Lost 6

The 6 losses were 4 finals, 1 SF replay and 1 SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Will be interesting what happens in the event of being thrown out. The GPA has backed the players. Will they go on strike? It would be a time for them to stand up and be counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But is is similiar in the sense that the ground was deemed suitable for Longford v Carlow in the previous round.

But because Longford v Kildare would have brought a bigger crowd it had to be moved.

The GAA have stated that if it was anyone other than Mayo then Newbridge would be the venue. But because Mayo bring a bigger crowd Newbridge is not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Paddy powers are now 5 to 1 on that match goes ahead in newbridge and 4 to 1 against it goes ahead in Croker .they usually call things right so looks like decision will be reversed and match will go ahead in newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

spurshero wrote: »
    Paddy powers are now 5 to 1 on that match goes ahead in newbridge and 4 to 1 against it goes ahead in Croker .they usually call things right so looks like decision will be reversed and match will go ahead in newbridge

Probably means there's been big bets on it going ahead in Newbridge
    Doesn't necessarily mean it will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Probably means there's been big bets on it going ahead in Newbridge
    Doesn't necessarily mean it will

Powers don’t make the profits they make by calling things wrong . And if there are big bets going on somebody knows something

Advertisement