Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kildare75

Have to admit that it was one of our darkest days. Jesus we never really competed. We showed a real lack of leadership both on the field and on the line when the going got tough, actually we fecking surrendered and that's what hurts most of all.
    Kerry are a class act, but like the Dublin game, we feckin turned our backs and didn't want to know.
    I know it's easy to blame management, but we had at times one forward in the Kerry half, with 16 points down we had 2, Jesus ,
    I'm no expert but I did play at high level and I know that is not how football should be played.
    You have to have options when u have possession of the ball....and did we? Not in a million years, we ended up running into corners or else trying Hail Mary kicks...
    I feel so sorry for the effort the team up put in to get that kinda hammering, but I genuinely feel it's time for a clean sweep, let Glen Ryan have the job, give him 4/5 years with the talent coming through, let them develope, let them learn, and hopefully we won't go through another day like Sunday.
    Anyways that's my 2 cents worth
    It hurts really hurts tonight,
    Cill dara Abu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Glenn won't get the job. County board politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Glenn won't get the job. County board politics.

maybe the whole county board needs to go along with ryan so for the good of the county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Really horrendous stuff yesterday. I never felt so embarrassed sitting in Croke Park and I've seen some dark days. At what point do our players say enough is enough, after 4 goals? 5 goals? 6? They showed a complete lack of pride or fight in the second half. See Fermanagh. Ollie Lyons and Eoin Doyle were the only two that didn't hide like cowards.

Pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Nib wrote: »
    Really horrendous stuff yesterday. I never felt so embarrassed sitting in Croke Park and I've seen some dark days. At what point do our players say enough is enough, after 4 goals? 5 goals? 6? They showed a complete lack of pride or fight in the second half. See Fermanagh. Ollie Lyons and Eoin Doyle were the only two that didn't hide like cowards.

Pitiful.
    sad day for kildare football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Tough day for Kildare football. I thought that if we could win midfield or even 50/50 wed have some chance. Unfortunately we didn't. After the first goal went in the heads dropped as did the running. Players were strolling around before the 2nd goal so the game was up. No heart. 2nd half felt like 3 hours. Unfortunately we have been at the receiving end of drubbings over the past 3/4 years. Not sure what can be done to stop the rot. Regardless I'd still prefer to be playing quarter finals against Kerry than taking part in 2nd tier ai that's being talked about at the moment.

maybe the whole county board needs to go along with ryan so for the good of the county

As club members we put forward the delegates who essentially make up the county board. I have sat on my club's board in the past and you will notice the same handful of people who put themselves forward for these positions and sit on the various committees. It's a thankless task and there are never enough people willing to do it. I include myself in that because even if I was still living in Kildare I wouldn't put my name forward anymore because it's just not worth the time you put in and all you get is grief from people who don't realise what's involved. It's far easier and much more rewarding to just coach an underage team and not be bothered with the administration side of things.

We have a new county board chairman, vice-chairman and treasurer since last year anyway. A proper review needs to take place and a selection committee needs to be established with clear guidelines for identifying and then interviewing candidates. The last appointment was essentially a solo run by the previous chairman.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Shameful, humiliating, embarrassing. What other words can be used to describe yesterday's debacle. I think Jason Ryan got his tactics completely wrong. Playing Smithy up front on his own was disastrous and even when we were ten points down we only had two up front. Can't understand why he played Cathel McNally as an extra defender. If he wanted an extra defender why no pick a recognised defender. When we did have possision it was the same old story hand passing the ball across the pitch and towards the corner flag. Where were the accurate foot passes we saw against Cork. Where were the well placed kick outs we saw against Cork. Having said all that I felt sorry for the players who didn't go out to be humilated like that. While I was prepared to give Ryan another year if we put up any kind of a fighting performance yesterday I think he now should go. Glen Ryan seems to be the supporters favourite to replace him but I would opt for Can O Neill or Brian Murphy if either were willing to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

We'll face Tipperary in the minor semi final. They beat Galway by 7 points

paulie21 wrote: »
    We'll face Tipperary in the minor semi final. They beat Galway by 7 points

That's a surprise result. Galway were highly rated.

Kildare now 11/4 to win the AI behind Kerry at 5/6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Great Win for Ardclough over Naas in the Senior Hurling Championship yesterday 2-19 to 2-16. Cracking game from start to finish. Three wins out of Three over Confey, Coill Dubh and Naas following their win over Celbridge in the premlinary round. Could be an interesting finale to the Hurling Championship this year.

Ardclough are flying it.

Celbridge haven't really got going at all yet this year. I thought they would be going all guns blazing after losing out last year.

Larries v Raheens @5 and Moores v Sash @6.45 both in Newbridge on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

County board had a meeting tonight but made no decision on JRs future, said they are to meet with senior management in the coming weeks.

I think most people would be expecting it to be a short conversation but you never know....

If Jason Ryan is offered another term I don't think he'd take it. He's an intelligent man, he knows it's time to walk away.

I really fear for the future of Kildare football at the moment. Division 3 football next year will be a waste of a year in terms of developing our younger players to even compete with the Kerry and Dublins of this world. Fermanagh, a county with half the number of clubs we have will be competing in a higher division than us. We are going through managers and players like there's no tomorrow. There's no clear plan, players are clearing off to the USA in the height of Summer, our finances are a mess and our county grounds are nothing short of a disgrace in this day and age.

The only positives are our underage teams, but with all of the above going on it counts for little when the transition to senior happens.

The attendances at Kildare games this year have been very poor, on Sunday there was very few Kildare supporters about. An All-Ireland quarter-final!

Roll on the club championships..

The club scene simply has to improve if Kildare football is to progress. How many clubs in the county can say that they're achieving their potential?

Moorefield are winning all around them and they have no more than a player or two who are up to playing for Kildare. There are a number of clubs with arguably more individual talent but they are wildly inconsistent formwise. It's no wonder the county team are so unreliable and inconsistent when this is the case. Moorefield for all their consistency in Kildare have failed badly at Leinster level since 2006. Other teams who have won the county championship in the last ten years like Sarsfields, Celbridge, Athy and Larries didn't fare any better.

No more than half of our clubs have their underage structures properly organised. We have clubs throwing money at senior managers and then wondering why there aren't the numbers coming through to supplement their senior teams. That culture has to change.

Kildare u21 hurlers lost to Wicklow by 2 points. Very disappointing result. We were going for 4 in a row in Leinster at this level.

Division 2 final:

St Laurence's 4-13 Raheens 0-6

Roli doing the damage for Moorefield tonight. Smith went off injured for Sash.

Moorefield v Celbridge in the championship is going to be very interesting.

3-13 to 0-12 final score.

• Advertisement

That's a big win for Larries considering Raheens were the only team to beat them in the league. Amazing what a few county players can add to a team.

In fairness Larries were never a division 2 team. I counted 11 players that started tonight that were unavailable during the league last year. Mid table division 1 would be more their range

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Michael2107

paulie21 wrote: »
    In fairness Larries were never a division 2 team. I counted 11 players that started tonight that were unavailable during the league last year. Mid table division 1 would be more their range

That was pretty much the story all last year, from the starting 15 against moorefield in 2013 not one player was available for same game in 2014

You'd think one of Raheens/Larries would have worn a changed jersey for the game today. It's not good enough to have a colour clash in a county league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Michael2107

You'd think one of Raheens/Larries would have worn a changed jersey for the game today. It's not good enough to have a colour clash in a county league final.

Yeah I know larries had a red kit that was basically opposite colours as normal one, sI don't really get that at all.

11855793_1105256046168967_3232204824864918881_n.png?oh=895775597b8a544152c9be876f543f91&oe=564239CE

Some good games to look forward to in the club championship over the weekend.

SFC:
    Monasterevin v Allenwood: Tough one to call, I'll go with Monasterevin, they had a good league campaign and they seem to be finally adjusting to life as a senior club. Allenwood are very dependent on Johnny Doyle for scores.

Eadestown v St. Kevin's: Another close one. Kevin's finished rock bottom of Division 2 while Eadestown finished Division 2 in mid-table. Emmett Bolton's return will give Eadestown a boost and on that reason alone I'll go for last year's intermediate champions to win.

Clane v Confey: This is lottery because I'm not sure if Clane will have their four county minors available to them, if they do I think they'll win.

IFC:
    Ballyteague v Caragh:
    Again, not easy to pick a winner. Caragh narrowly avoided the drop to Division 3 while Ballyteague finished second in that division. Ballyteague to win with Seamus Hanafin making the difference.

Two Mile House v Clogherinkoe: Intriguing tie. Both finished mid-table in Division 2 but Two Mile House will have Peter Kelly and Mark Sherry returning so I think that'll make the difference here.

Ballymore v Ellistown: Ellistown have flattered to deceive at intermediate level since they were relegated a few years ago. They seem to be an aging team. Ballymore by one or two.

Castledermot v Kill: These sides also met in last years championship and Castledermot won by a cricket score. Hard to see anything other than a repeat. (Sorry Klairon)

Round Towers v Raheens: Probably the tie of the round. I tipped Towers to win this competition at the start of the year and I still think they will. Raheens took an awful beating the Division 2 final last weekend so they are not in good form. Towers with a few to spare.

Straffan v Sallins: Sallins had a very poor league campaign finishing third last in Division 2 while Straffan finished third. Hard to look past a Straffan win here with Rob Kelly running the show.

JFC:
    Cappagh v Grange:
    Cappagh had a shock win over Robertstown in the last round while Grange were heavily beaten by the same team just last week. Cappagh by 5.

Robertstown v Kilcullen: Kilcullen are a bit of an enigma, on their day they can beat anyone in this championship but they are very inconsistent. Robertstown are favorites to win it outright and I don't think Kilcullen will have enough to stand in their way.

Ballykelly v Rheban: This will be no contest. Rheban will most likely win by 10+ points.

Castlemitchell v Milltown: Tie of the round in the JFC. Castlemitchell finished top of Division 3 while Milltown were third. Castlemitchell to continue their fine form with a win.

Allenwood 1-13 Monasterevan 0-11

Ballyteague 2-11 Caragh 0-12

• Advertisement

Kilcullen 1-14 Robertstown 1-9

Advertisement