Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Dr Crippen wrote: »
    That's the best performance I have seen from a Kildare team in a long time, full of pride, heart and ambition, it made me even prouder to be a Kildare man than I already am.

Did you hop on them at 9/2. I taught you were mad posting that but who is laughing now!!
    Fantastic performance from every one. We was like 1998 all over again. Let's hope we can keep it up and give kerry a rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Only 1 unforced error today. Thought that was a very accurate performance by Kildare. This Kildare team would beat well the Kildare team that played Dublin. The goalkeepers kickouts were superb low trajectory well placed kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Well done to Kildare - Fantastic performance from everyone involved. Ye've had 2 bitterly disppointing relegations to deal with and no one in Cork begrudges ye the win. Met a lot of Kildare Supporters at the league game in Cork in 2014 and they are the best in the country.

Hope ye go on and win Sam now.
    Jaysus, even the great Gary Neville is congratulating us tonight. :pac:

Good win for United earlier as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kildare75

Magic. For the 3 thousand or so Kildare fans there tonight that will be hard to top. I don't think we've enjoyed a match as much as that since the 2000 Leinster Final replay.

That was one of those special nights that will stay with us for a long long time, ive been traveling up and down the country following the lillies for more years than I care to remember now, and usually ending up beaten and no one talking in the car on the way home...
    But tonight was special , it makes all the bad days almost worth it..
    We played like a team full of belief and ability, we played with real bloody pride in the white jersey...and for that I say a big thank you to all the players and management for their effort.
    Jesus lads ye made an awful lot of Kildare people very very happy.
    What happens next against Kerry??? god knows....but we are starting to dream again in lilywhite land...and that's a great feeling:)
    and the atmosphere tonight was amazing, shed a wee tear at the end ill admit, and the journey home in the car was far from quiet...
    Cill Dara Abu :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Congrats lads a really impressive performance this evening, there should be no reason that you shouldn't give it a right good rattle next time out. We should be guaranteed big numbers in Croker for the double header

Well there will be a lot of Dublin fans, a lot of Fermanagh fans and a lot of Kildare fans. A few Kerry fans might even come too. It is interesting seeing all the Cork fans wishing Kildare well in the next round, seeing as it is Kerry they will playing. Neighbourly rivalry is alive and well. :)

• Advertisement

I really think ye can approach the Kerry game with realistic ambitions of winning it. Ye certainly have more pace than Kerry. Ye played very smart in popping the ball out ahead into space. Kerrys defence sets up similar to Corks. There is space to be found 30 yards out on the flanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

kildare75 wrote: »
    That was one of those special nights that will stay with us for a long long time, ive been traveling up and down the country following the lillies for more years than I care to remember now, and usually ending up beaten and no one talking in the car on the way home...
    But tonight was special , it makes all the bad days almost worth it..
    We played like a team full of belief and ability, we played with real bloody pride in the white jersey...and for that I say a big thank you to all the players and management for their effort.
    Jesus lads ye made an awful lot of Kildare people very very happy.
    What happens next against Kerry??? god knows....but we are starting to dream again in lilywhite land...and that's a great feeling:)
    and the atmosphere tonight was amazing, shed a wee tear at the end ill admit, and the journey home in the car was far from quiet...
    Cill Dara Abu :)

I don't think I've ever seen such a small crowd get as much satisfaction out of a win as we did tonight. It's probably the longest odds that Kildare have won a championship match at in donkeys years. I'd say there are a lot of Kildare supporters who are kicking themselves for not travelling down tonight.

I don't think I've ever seen such a small crowd get as much satisfaction out of a win as we did tonight. It's probably the longest odds that Kildare have won a championship match at in donkeys years. I'd say there are a lot of Kildare supporters who are kicking themselves for not travelling down tonight.

Agree totally, but then after the way the season has gone, it's hard to feel that enthusiastic before tonight's game, plus it's expensive to travel and the fact the game was on sky, but I have to say it was really really satisfying.
    I'm still smiling :D

kildare75 wrote: »
    Agree totally, but then after the way the season has gone, it's hard to feel that enthusiastic before tonight's game, plus it's expensive to travel and the fact the game was on sky, but I have to say it was really really satisfying.
    I'm still smiling :D

Kildare supporters dancing around Jason Ryan down on the field afterwards. They were probably fit to lynch him a months ago. That's sport for you! :D

Kildare supporters dancing around Jason Ryan down on the field afterwards. They were probably fit to lynch him a months ago. That's sport for you! :D

For sure lol
    And as a famous tipp man once said its only a few inches between a pat on the back and a kick in the arse..
    Delighted for the whole team and back room team, they make a massive effort and I wonder if a few fellas out state side might be regretting a decision?

• Advertisement

How many of tonights panel were new additions or return from injuries?
    That Fogarty lad that came on looked a bit raw, big unit though. Think ye should try and create some size mismatches versus Kerry.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I really think ye can approach the Kerry game with realistic ambitions of winning it. Ye certainly have more pace than Kerry. Ye played very smart in popping the ball out ahead into space. Kerrys defence sets up similar to Corks. There is space to be found 30 yards out on the flanks.

To be honest I dont see that happening.

Kerry are so much better than how Cork are operating now. Kerry have also seen what's going on in Kildare.

Cork couldn't get ball into their forwards. If that was to happen to Kerry their half back line get it in to Donaghy. They will change it up.

Kerry have Moran in midfield one of the top five players in the country imho.

Kerry have great corner backs and two of the most creative players in the country. Their free taker seldom misses.

I was delighted watching the game today , nothing against Cork but Kildare needed that. I thought there was so much to play for and Cork blood was there to smell I just thought they might fall over.

Great game , second half killing of the mini revival was top class.

But I can't see Kerry being ambushed as they are better than Cork and the cats out of the bag. They'll focus on everything that Ryan got right last night. But you never know, zero pressure again right in the business end of the championship again. Dublin, Cork and Kerry all in the same season, might even fit mayo in too.

How many of tonights panel were new additions or return from injuries?
    That Fogarty lad that came on looked a bit raw, big unit though. Think ye should try and create some size mismatches versus Kerry.

Kevin Murnaghan is the only starter who made his championship debut this year. Fitzpatrick has been around a while but it's only his second year starting. Never got a run in championship football under McGeeney. McNally and O'Grady are others who didn't feature until Ryan took over. Moolick, Cribbin, Donnellan, Kelly and Fogarty have been around a few years but again it's really only their second year as regulars.

Lyons, Bolton, O'Neill, O'Flaherty, Callaghan and Smith have been on the road a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

it was one match i am so sad i missed. there will be other fantastic days moments with the wee ones only last a short time.

so my first championship match with my pride and joy 5 year old son beckons.. (thats if his mother lets me up to big shmoke with him ;)) lets hope the lads put it up to kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Yesterday was Kildare first big win v top team I would say since the 2000 Leinster final, and the first time they have beaten a top team outside Leinster in the championship since 1998 semi final v Kerry. They use to say under Mcgeeney Kildare did could beat a top team but actually traditionally Kildare have a dreadful record outside the provience of Leinster v top counties. Kildare have only had 1 victory in over 80 years against a top team outside leinster in the championship and that was the victory over Kerry in 1998 semi final ( In comparsion Dublin, Meath and Offaly who all together have about over Id say over 50 victories over the top teams outside the provience in the same period) . So if you take that all into account yesterdays win was very significant.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

With results like yesterday it shows the advantages of the qualifiers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Dr Crippen

Did you hop on them at 9/2. I taught you were mad posting that but who is laughing now!!
    Fantastic performance from every one. We was like 1998 all over again. Let's hope we can keep it up and give kerry a rattle.

I did indeed, they dont always work out but thankfully that one did:)

would relish getting a craic at dublin in the form kildare showed yesterday. not saying we would beat the dubs but i reckon we would give them a good stern test..

jesus what a difference a few games and confidence makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Dr Crippen

Confidence and self belief comes from games and performances like that.

One noticable difference in their play yesterday was how intelligently they held the ball and the speed at which they moved forward with the ball. If they played like that from here on in we would worry any team.

You cant but help feel optomistic for the future when you see your team play like that, moving the ball so confidently and fighting for every ball. I am keen to see what the kerry mafia will have to say about kildare today, in particular mr spillane :)

100%.DK

I 've often said that the Dubs run in the qualifiers in 2010 made the team. A couple of games under the belt and we gave a great cork team a right go having been well off them before that. Exactly where Kildare are now.

The qualifiers are great. Imagine of the Dublin game was Kildares last of the season. Leinster football got a shot in the arm last night.

• Advertisement

would relish getting a craic at dublin in the form kildare showed yesterday. not saying we would beat the dubs but i reckon we would give them a good stern test..

Steady on! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What was the score against Kerry in 98?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

0-13 1-9

Highlights on YouTube https://youtu.be/4mN8FKSGuww

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'll need that result when the in-laws start asking how many times.

Moorefield v Sarsfields is the Division 1 league final. Moorefield beat Leixlip 0-18 to 0-7. 0-7 each for Ronan Sweeney and Eanna O'Connor. Sarsfields were beaten by Carbury. St Kevin's and Kilcock relegated.

Larries v Raheens will be the Division 2 final. Good league campaign for Straffan who finished third. Robertstown are relegated. Suncroft or Sallins will join them, Suncroft need to beat Robertstown and hope Sallins lose against Two Mile House and also beat a 3 point scoring difference. Not impossible, Robertstown were hammered by Nurney last week and only managed 0-2 so you'd think Suncroft will win comfortably.

Castlemitchell v Ballyteague will contest the Division 3 final. Milltown will be kicking themselves, after having a great start they have fallen away badly. Lowly Ballykelly will most likely pick up the wooden spoon.

Heard Chalky came on for the Sash. Any other county panelists feature tonight?

Doubt it. Actually surprised to hear Chalky played at all, Jason Ryan hasn't released his players much for club league games.

Honest answers!!!

Do you want management team changed or stick with Ryan and co?

Two relegation but Jesus could he turn his fortunes around?

If I was a club delegate and it goes to the floor then I would be consulting any county players in the club for their opinions not only on Ryan himself but on the rest of the coaching ticket. The players will be affected most by any potential change. There isn't the same club v county tension that was there when McGeeney wasn't retained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

They would take ye to the cleaners, just like they would to any other Leinster county.

Advertisement