Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

2-8 0-4

Ciaran Kelly goal. Kildare in control now.

2-11 0-5

2-14 1-9

Consolation goal for Longford.

Kildare 2-15 Longford 1-9

KILDARE: Declan Campbell, Ronan Slattery, Mike Joyce, Darren Lawlor, Sam Doran, Shea Ryan, Sean Healy, Daniel Courtney, Rory Feely, Conor Hartley (1-1), Ethan O’Donohue (0-1), Brian McLoughlin (0-2), Ciaran Kelly (1-2, 2 fs), Matthew Kelly, Jimmy Hyland (0-8, 1 f).

SUBS: Stefan Lawlor for Doran, Kevin O’Callaghan for M Kelly, Gavin Burke for Slattery, Eoin O’Neill for McLoughlin, Aaron Murphy (0-1, 1 45) for C Kelly.

2 Leinster minor titles in 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Well done to all involved.

Great weekend for Kildare football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Losers of Kerry or Cork is the draw. Probably be the end of the road but hopefully we can put up a bit of a performance and it's not a repeat of the Dublin game

SHC:
    Coill Dubh 1-17 Naas 1-16
    Ardclough 1-14 Confey 0-14
    Celbridge 2-26 Maynooth 0-6
    Leixlip 1-18 Clane 1-10

IHC‬:
    St Laurence's 3-11 Celbridge 3-10
    Naas 2-16 Moorefield 0-7
    Ardclough 3-12 Sarsfields 2-13
    Kilcock 2-15 Kill 3-11

JHC‬:
    Leixlip 3-14 Naas 2-14
    Sallins 1-20 Castledermot 1-6
    Broadford 2-10 Maynooth 0-7
    Ros Glas w/o Clane

Never knew Castledermot had a hurling team.

Nib wrote: »

Won 2 senior hurling championship around late 80s early 90s

They had a very successful team from the mid eighties until the early nineties. They won three county titles and lost in a few more finals to Ardclough. Jimmy Curran was the goalkeeper on the Kildare hurling team of the millennium.

There hasn't been a successful hurling team from the south of the county since the early nineties. Moorefield won a hurling title in 1991 while Suncroft and St Brigid's (Kildare town) won one each back in the seventies.

The influx of Clare, Galway, Cork, Limerick and Tipperary people to north Kildare beginning in the late seventies has seen hurling thrive in the north of the county. Coill Dubh won the first of their ten titles in 1987, Confey won the first of their three in 2007, Celbridge hadn't won a title since the 1920s before 2005 and Naas didn't win a title from 1952 until 1994.

The powerbase of Kildare hurling is now exclusively in the north and that's not likely to change anytime soon. I often wonder is there a case to be made for adding two amalgamations to the championship to see if we could get a few senior inter-county hurlers from the south of the county. A Newbridge amalgamation and a South Kildare team would probably need a few years to establish themselves but it's worth a try.

• Advertisement

I often wonder is there a case to be made for adding two amalgamations to the championship to see if we could get a few senior inter-county hurlers from the south of the county. A Newbridge amalgamation and a South Kildare team would probably need a few years to establish themselves but it's worth a try.
    This actually happened a few years ago, I'm not sure if it was championship or the league but I do remember reading a few match reports where they were handed bad beatings by teams from the North of the county. South Kildare they were called, I think.

This actually happened a few years ago, I'm not sure if it was championship or the league but I do remember reading a few match reports where they were handed bad beatings by teams from the North of the county. South Kildare they were called, I think.

It's probably an idea that needs to pushed at underage level and seen through with links between clubs and primary schools. If kids haven't picked up a hurl before the age of 8 or 9 then they'll never take up the game.

There's really no reason why the south of the county should be a hurling wasteland. There used to be a strong hurling tradition in Athy - Mick Foley was a very good underage hurler. Larries have always had strong camogie teams. Moorefield and Sarsfields pretty much gave up on hurling in the late nineties but they are beginning to make a little bit of progress now again.

It will never challenge the primacy of football throughout the county but it would be great if we saw more hurlers coming through from the south of the county. If we have serious ambitions of ever progressing from Christy Ring level and establishing ourselves in the Leinster Championship like Westmeath and Carlow have done then we're probably going to have to expand the small pool of clubs from which we pick from.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

So cork it is so next week. What's our chances if any?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

30% chance I reckon. :D

Thurles or Limerick I presume? Have a wedding so will miss it hopefully be on tv

It's an opportunity for Kildare to salvage something from the year. I'd fear for our backs against Hurley and O'Neill if we go man for man. We'll need our best display in 4 years to have a chance.

Important round of county league fixtures tonight. Sarsfields and Celbridge played out a draw 12 points apiece. Moorefield beat Castledermot easily and Naas had a 3 point win over Athy 2-10 to 2-7. Naas look like they are going well this year. Can they bring their league form to the championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Whoever wins this will be going out the week after anyway to Dublin. End of the road for both teams.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Whoever wins this will be going out the week after anyway to Dublin. End of the road for both teams.

To be pedantic about it, Kildare would play Kerry in the event that Kildare and Fermanagh were to win next weekend, not that we'd win that either!

Both Kildare and Cork seem to have similar problems at the moment. They have two managers who have little support from the fanbase and are unlikely to be there next year. They have lost key young players who have opted out or taken up other codes: Cork - Sheehan, Walsh & Cahillane; Kildare - Brophy, Hurley & Flynn. The morale in both camps appears to be quite low.

Despite this Cork will fully expect to turn up and beat Kildare handily. Kildare will simply have to start quickly and take any chances that they create. Even against Dublin we created a lot of scoring chances in the first half but the heads dropped quickly when we failed to take them.

Kildare minors will play Cavan in the quarter final.

Cork match in Thurles at 7:00 on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shoehorn

paulie21 wrote: »
    Thurles or Limerick I presume? Have a wedding so will miss it hopefully be on tv

GAA website has it down as Thurles now.

The two Senior Hurling Championship Group A games scheduled for this Sunday will now be played in Hawkfield:

Éire Óg/Corrachoill V Confey at 5pm.
    Ardclough V Coill Dubh at 6.30pm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cork match in Thurles at 7:00 on Saturday.

Good luck with it lads, I think it's there for you, Kildare are in a better place then Cork now physiologically IMHO. Cork would be a great scalp and it would be great for Leinster Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

so far at cul camp ballykelly we have had eoin doyle and paul cribbin two absolute gents they have shown great time and patience for the kids. was shocked to think out of all the kids my wee man was togging out this morning and eoin doyle said howdy patrick get kitted out and on the pitch, i couldnt get over how he remembered little mans name and he was all talk about the lads this evening...

cul camp is first class the kids absolutely love it.

on kildare v cork i think its gonna be well contested and i think we will show up, not holding out massive hope though kildares confidence is rocked from last two years. the big thing is can either of the teams stand toe to toe with the dubs.... very unlikely imo dublin are outright favourites for sam...

im defo not gonna get to the game as new baby 3 weeks old but im sure ill be shouting at tv loud enough to be heard in thurles :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I heard Tomas O'Connor scored 6 goals in a game in the states recently. Is this true. I googled in and found he was thinking of joining Offally!

He scored 3 goals at the weekend. You'd have to question the standard of football out there though.

He'd be a decent coup for Offaly, I don't think he's good enough for Kildare to be brutally honest.

That Offaly story is a non runner.

An opportunistic Offaly journalist just resurrected some quotes from an interview from a number of years ago. This was after Tomas had came back from his injury problems. Having made his debut in 2005, he was badly injured and didn't play from the end of 2007 until 2010. He played for the county juniors that year. I can't remember his exact quote but it was something along the lines of if he hadn't made it back onto the Kildare panel in 2010 that he would have considered giving it a go with Offaly. That ship has long sailed.

To be fair tomás is a midfielder and has been utilised as a target man in the forward line, he can do a hell of a lot more than just thumping ball out of air for someone else. Cribbin and Doyle both spoke very highly of him and I got the impression he will be back in a Kildare Jersey soon.

• Advertisement

Did we not discuss this a few years ago and the thinking from you guys was that he didn't have the legs mobility for an intercounty position out the field.

Tommy Moolick vs A O'Connor will be interesting if Tommy starts

Advertisement