Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

I didn't think it was jealousy at all tbh.

Well, I think jealousy is what tipped him over the edge, he obviously is scared of what he's capable of, but why now?Aside from him doing the only female character he has any connection with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I'm sorry I ever tried to defend this show now, its become about as exciting as a zombie with no limbs or teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

nuxxx wrote: »
    I don't no about others but the main whining about the first season was know one cared about the characters but the action was good, the second season people are saying they're talking too much and there is not enough action!

It's not the lack of action that has been the problem though it's down to the extremely lazy writing and poor acting!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

You jerks!!! I went into tonight's episode with slightly heightened expectations after reading some of the enthusiasm on this and the "shows you've stopped watching thread". I told my husband when he got home from work that it was supposed to actually be a decent episode and he laughed at me. But we settled in to watch it and were bored for 40 minutes, occasionally frightening our dogs when one of us would spontaneously shout at some whining character to hurry up and do something interesting or just die already. Finally the climatic scene came along and all that happened was an even more boring version of what everyone knew would happen by episode 3. Not good television.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Granted its a bit of a small point but could there be more to Otis rounding up the walkers than meets the eye? Given the time lines he must have found Sophie the same day she went missing or at the latest the following morning since he was around the farm with the group once Carl got shot, right? So is there any chance he could have found her alive and just threw her into the barn? I'm probably clutching at straws here but it could be a way for the writers to redeem Shane and his actions if it turns out Otis was chucking small children into a killer hoard of zombies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

On October 16, 2011, the season two premiere set a new record of 7.3 million viewers. The episode also set new records for the most viewers in the 18–49 and 25–54 demographics, with 4.8 million and 4.2 million viewers respectively, making it the most watched episode of a drama in the history of basic cable television in these measures.

They must be doing something right!

JohnK wrote: »
    Granted its a bit of a small point but could there be more to Otis rounding up the walkers than meets the eye? Given the time lines he must have found Sophie the same day she went missing or at the latest the following morning since he was around the farm with the group once Carl got shot, right? So is there any chance he could have found her alive and just threw her into the barn? I'm probably clutching at straws here but it could be a way for the writers to redeem Shane and his actions if it turns out Otis was chucking small children into a killer hoard of zombies.

Interesting point considering he has says all along she is dead, and Shane repeated this again before opening the barn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Finally, an episode where something happened, just a pity it's six weeks late. I'm referring to the zombie shoot of course, because the Sophia reveal at the end was predictable, and kind of stupid.

As for her being in the barn at all, I just don't believe the time line stacks up. So she runs away, gets lost, gets attacked and bitten (but not eaten, obviously), so she somehow got away. Then she dies later, and after several hours comes back as a walker. Then she somehow gets trapped by Otis and brought to the barn. All this happens in what, 24-48 hours, because that's when Carl gets shot.

A ridiculous and lazy plot, written by lazy writers.

Overall, I'd give this first half of the season 1 out of 5. Also, having a mid season break in a show with only 13 episodes is a pile of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

nuxxx wrote: »
    On October 16, 2011, the season two premiere set a new record of 7.3 million viewers. The episode also set new records for the most viewers in the 18–49 and 25–54 demographics, with 4.8 million and 4.2 million viewers respectively, making it the most watched episode of a drama in the history of basic cable television in these measures.

They must be doing something right!
    But that was before the long, drawn-out search-fest that was the last 6 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i love how people continually bitch about this programme...

..and then prompty tune back in next week !

:)

personally i thought it was great. theres some brilliant tension now between alot of the characters, dale and shane is a stand out - i really wasnt sure who would shoot who. in regards to dales conversation to andrea, yeah there probably is a bit of jealously but i think dales main motivation is the knowledge shane would just as happily leave her as zombie fodder if it came down to his neck like he did with otis.

as dale said, shane is made for this world and ive no problem believing the bloke would do it.

we ALL saw the ending a mile off but TBH i dont mind that much as it was such a potent scene. you just KNEW sophia coming out would be the only thing to shame shane, just as i knew the one to put the bullet in her HAD to be rick.

it was practically poetic and ya dont see that that much on the telly.

as others said though its herschel who took it the worst, i thought it was a fantastic bit of acting on the actors part. he doesnt say a damn word but you can see his world falling apart.

also now i can actually NAME all the characters. i loved season 1 but i really hadnt a monkies who was who as half the time the zombies spoilt any chance to really get to know theses people. i agree that this season was drawn out but at least now i give a feck about some of them.

what comes next now is purely based on character and i dont know how herschel will react, certainly up to now i seen shane trying to take the farm by force but after what went down i dont know.

either way i'll be there in feb to find out !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Great series and disappointed that we have to wait till Feb for new episodes really sad at the end with Sophia in the barn Rick stepped up as the leader which was good. Just wish the haters would not bother watching anymore, if you don't like it after watching a season and a half your never going to like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Great series and disappointed that we have to wait till Feb for new episodes really sad at the end with Sophia in the barn Rick stepped up as the leader which was good. Just wish the haters would not bother watching anymore, if you don't like it after watching a season and a half your never going to like it!

Agreed. Never mind the "Aw that was so predictable! It was much better in the comics!" chatter.

Obviously, if you've read a scene in the comics, it was gonna be predictable.

I don't mind people criticising it. I'd probably agree with a lot of what they're saying if they were giving it a fair shake. But holding it up, unfairly, against the source material (hint: it's not made for you, it's made for a new audience) and complaining every week about how you won't bother anymore is really irritating. Just stick to your word and don't bother then. They won't miss you. They're not stuck for viewers.

leggo wrote: »
    Obviously, if you've read a scene in the comics, it was gonna be predictable.

That didn't happen in the comics. It was just predicable because it was telegraphed in for 6 bloody episodes.

iguana wrote: »
    That didn't happen in the comics. It was just predicable because it was telegraphed in for 6 bloody episodes.

Did u not feel your soul drop when it went slo-mo and Shane shot the walker Hershel was holding?

I think your view extends to previous episodes, which I do agree with.

And I'd like to say, I never expected Sophia to walk out of the barn - maybe I'm abit slow, but i don't think I am.

I wasn't talking about that scene, people have been saying the shows been predictable for weeks. Which is easy to do AFTER it happens...weird how I only read maybe one prediction that she was in the barn before it was revealed.

But if you want to take the barn, it clearly wasn't written or directed to be unpredictable. The slow-mo telegraphed it a mile off. You were supposed to figure out she would be coming out of the barn...the direction was to get you wondering "Will Shane shoot her after all the talking he's done about walkers not being people? In front of her own mother??"

I'm not having a go at specific posters, don't get me wrong. I'd probably feel the same if I was in all of your shoes. But I'm guessing that I'd actually...you know...just stop watching instead of threatening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I really don't get all the bitching and "Mystic Meg" heads saying it was so predictable.
    If anyone has read the comics and read the introduction by Robert Kirkman (The creator and writer) he states:
    "To me, the best zombie movies aren't splatter fests of gore and violence","Good zombie movies show us how messed up we are and make us question our station in society" and continues "This is a very character driven endeavour".
    Now so far I think the show has followed this path and seems how last night was just the thirteenth episode overall, I'm happy with how it's gone thus far. As someone said in an earlier post, finally now I know the characters and I've my favourites and my "red shirts"(Those I'm hoping become zombie chow).
    Now as I said I'm happy with how the show's gone/going but not ecstatic. There have been some dull episodes and poor dialogue but not enough to put me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

leggo wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about that scene, people have been saying the shows been predictable for weeks. Which is easy to do AFTER it happens...weird how I only read maybe one prediction that she was in the barn before it was revealed.

we all thought it was a strong possibility we just didn't want to do ruin it for others by speculating

JohnK wrote: »
    no she would have been eaten, ripped apart,, but otis still could have found her zombieisd and said nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Alright, hands up who voted "My favourite show ever,unbelievably amazing ,very well done, I have little to criticise about." in the poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

we all thought it was a strong possibility we just didn't want to do ruin it for others by speculating

I don't buy this. I read quite a bit on forums and if "we all thought" was actually true, I would've seen the theory highlighted everywhere......like the current Dexter "twist"....if you can even call it that. :p

I consider myself a fairly astute guy when it comes to tv and movie plots and figuring stuff out. Up until this episode, the thought hadn't occured to me that she could be in there. It wasn't until Rick went to help collar the walkers stuck in the mud that it dawned on me what could have happened to her.

What I see is alot of after-the-fact hipsters claiming they saw it coming before the first episode even aired. Funny that. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I watched episode 7, first episode I've watched since episode 1 this season. Was impressed overall, I enjoyed it. But can't believe there was 5 episodes in between that! Felt like I hadn't missed anything at all.
    If the show keeps up the excitement and plot development of episode 7 it has potential to be a good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

i love how people continually bitch about this programme...

..and then prompty tune back in next week !

personally i thought it was great. theres some brilliant tension now between alot of the characters, dale and shane is a stand out - i really wasnt sure who would shoot who. in regards to dales conversation to andrea, yeah there probably is a bit of jealously but i think dales main motivation is the knowledge shane would just as happily leave her as zombie fodder if it came down to his neck like he did with otis.

as dale said, shane is made for this world and ive no problem believing the bloke would do it.

we ALL saw the ending a mile off but TBH i dont mind that much as it was such a potent scene. you just KNEW sophia coming out would be the only thing to shame shane, just as i knew the one to put the bullet in her HAD to be rick.

it was practically poetic and ya dont see that that much on the telly.

as others said though its herschel who took it the worst, i thought it was a fantastic bit of acting on the actors part. he doesnt say a damn word but you can see his world falling apart.

also now i can actually NAME all the characters. i loved season 1 but i really hadnt a monkies who was who as half the time the zombies spoilt any chance to really get to know theses people. i agree that this season was drawn out but at least now i give a feck about some of them.

what comes next now is purely based on character and i dont know how herschel will react, certainly up to now i seen shane trying to take the farm by force but after what went down i dont know.

either way i'll be there in feb to find out !

100% agree

i didn't think sophia coming out shamed shane i thought it proved he was right

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kirby wrote: »
    What I see is alot of after-the-fact hipsters claiming they saw it coming before the first episode even aired. Funny that. :p

Not really; it was suggested a few pages back by a number of users around the half-way mark of the series, myself included, and to be honest it was the only obvious resolution to that plotline that made any kind of dramatic sense. The whole point of TV drama is to put characters through emotional turbulence, and within the context of a zombie apocalypse - what other result was there going to be for our group except Sophia being found a zombie? Any other resolution would have just been tremendously hollow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭thechanger

......like the current Dexter "twist"....if you can even call it that. :p

Please no spoilers to other tv programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭backinexile

Well now that the episode has aired, can someone who has read the comic's tell us if she was in the barn in the comic too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Well now that the episode has aired, can someone who has read the comic's tell us if she was in the barn in the comic too?

i havent been able to get those arcs from the library but seeing as in the comics she's still knocking about in what would be in the TV show series three or four i reckon the answer is no

i posted earlier that
    herself and carl were meant to be a bit of an item

thats all out the window now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

just watched episode 7...and im starting to get very bored with the walking dead...imo its turning into a bad soap opera zombie show with little or no zombies..., they need to get off that farm and start building up tension *yawn*

The thing with it being predictable is that being predictable isn't always a bad thing. Quite a few people guessed an important part of the ending to the last series of Breaking Bad but they mainly had happy reactions to being right. That's because the thing they guessed would have made the story deeper and more interesting and to be right meant the writers were telling the best story possible. Sophia in the barn was predictable in all of the wrong ways. The story had led us down a long, long dreary path with a child missing for most of 7 episodes and an interminable discussion about the nature of god and if the zombies were dead or people with a curable disease. It was only ever going to end with 'our' group having to put down a zombified Sophia.

This was not good for so many reasons. We'd already seen them put down a loved one and family member of the group. We'd already seen how difficult it was, seen the moral dilemma, seen the sacrifice, seen the aftermath. We touched upon in in the damn pilot with Morgan and Jennie and we saw Andrea shoot her sister in the head. The big moment of the groups' certainties being turned on their heads by the reveal of Sophia being a zombie was impactless because the we'd already done it.

It was predictable in a there is only one way this bloody story can end and it's a million times less deep and clever than they think it is, rather than a this will be great type of way.

No.

• Advertisement

I don't buy this. I read quite a bit on forums and if "we all thought" was actually true, I would've seen the theory highlighted everywhere......like the current Dexter "twist"....if you can even call it that. :p

I consider myself a fairly astute guy when it comes to tv and movie plots and figuring stuff out. Up until this episode, the thought hadn't occured to me that she could be in there. It wasn't until Rick went to help collar the walkers stuck in the mud that it dawned on me what could have happened to her.

Exactly. I'm amazing at predicting something will happen...after it's happened... :p

Advertisement