Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

After a strong start to season 2 the show's gone rapidly downhill. Rick and Shane are the best things in it at the mo but The twists are fairly obvious the the climaxes to the last three episodes have been drawn out and mute (pregnancy reveal Im looking at you). It's pretty obvious the had their budget cut too. Season one looked like a disaster movie, season two looks a lot more like a budget show with almost no special effects.

Some of the characters are getting kind of annoying and I can't help but wonder when and if they'll die e.g. Laurie, Dale, T-Dog. They've been on the bloody farm nearly six episodes and nothing significant has happened. The barn door should have been opened episodes ago; I gather the comic books aren't this slow.

There's not even that many zombies in this season and almost no one's been eaten or turned. Maybe the mid-season finale will rectify this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

When I first read the comics and got to Herschel's barn, my first thought was; 'I never pegged Herschel as a Shaun of the Dead fan.'

Shaun+and+Ed+end+Shaun+of+the+Dead.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

got around to watching the latest episode last night.

i thought this was one of the strongest episodes so far. plenty of drama going on between the characters now with some nice characteristion. even little things like the conversation between andrea and daryl.

im interested to see where the thing with shane and dale goes. its easy to see him as a harmless aul'fella but he's certainly tough enough himself in the comics so i think theres potential here. the fun thing is shane is dead in the comics so he's a real wild card in the interpersonal dynamics as characters are interacting with him in a way that hasnt been laid down in the books shaking things up.

i too am starting to come to the opinion that the girl is in the barn and considering whats meant to happen to carol down the line if they follow the comics it would be a more logical way
    for her to check out. trying to hug zombie daughter makes more sense than zombie stranger

i kinda hope not though as there was a nice thing in the comics where carl and sophie are a puppie luv item.

some nice themes in the episode as well, particularly with carl being trained to shoot. i know its not as big a deal in the state as that notion would be here but theres no denying the kid needs to be able to defend himself and if any world demanded a kid should be able to handle a gun this ones it.

the glenn maggie relationship is coming along nicely, i particularly like the bit where she was about to go all "oh you can keep HER secret !" and he just handed the note over to her in a "im not even going to TRY" manner of fact.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can we please put comic talk in spoilers ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Can we please put comic talk in spoilers ffs.
    We probably need two separate TWD threads - one for TV-only (no comic book spoilers) and one where we're free to include comic book spoilers as there is lots to compare and contrast between the show and the comics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

You'll get used to him doing it, eventually.

am i well known for doing it? sorry..:o

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    That's a bit of a spoiler dude.

how?I spoiler tagged the bit that was spoiler and then the rest was pure speculation which is not a spoiler...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

You do it alot, unless there is someone else with a similar username to yours (doubtful) that keeps getting told to use spoiler tags.

Stop being a selfish dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

DeepBlue wrote: »
    We probably need two separate TWD threads - one for TV-only (no comic book spoilers) and one where we're free to include comic book spoilers as there is lots to compare and contrast between the show and the comics.

That's probably a bit much, though start one and see how the mods feel. But yeah, could people not suffice with just using spoiler tags or going over to the comic forum to discuss the comic?

I mean, I had the barn spoiled for me and now I'm waiting for
    Shane to die when, considering he's a main character, I'd have no reason to think he wouldn't be around for the duration of the show otherwise.
    They're just the one's I didn't manage to dodge by being unfortunate enough not to see any mention of the comics beforehand. I'm sure if I wasn't more careful I'd be have half the rest of the series in plain view just by reading this topic. Not really fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

This thing will run like Dexter, season 1 based on the book. Season 2 shoot right off and never looking back. In TV different characters work and alot of the comic topics would not fly in the TV show. Special Effects are at a minimum in this show so far this season. They cannot afford to stay true to alot of the storylines, locations possibly, but that'll be it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

To be fair there is no guarantee the series will follow the comics at all. Some characters are missing, some are completely new, some plot points from the comics have not happened and others are completely new. The one you mention in your spoiler tags should have happened in the last series.
    Shane never made it out of the original camp so there is no reason to assume he'll die any time soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm in kinda 'watching, but not terribly bothered by it' mood. It has the potential to be great, but there's something a bit off about the writing and the general execution. I still do like some of the characters, but whole uh, well, everyone's got a bit of a secret thing is wearing a little thin. Almost everyone gives out about Skyler on Breaking Bad, but she's no Lori...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

This season had been a bit frustrating alright. Last season was fantastic but the pace this year is killing it.

My theory about Sophia is that she might be alive still, not a zombie, and is maybe being hidden somewhere on Herschalls farm. He's got a few radical ideas about the zombies just being sick and not dead, and also is very much the boss of his group. He also really wants to get Ricks group out of there as soon as possible. Maybe he's keeping/hiding her to add to his group, use her to re-populate down the line ?

I'm thinking she'll be found just as the whole group find out about the zombies in the barn and the **** will hit the fan. Maggie will have to decide to stay or go, etc.
    Either ways it has to be leading up to a big episode with lots of reveals and action/deaths.

ratedR wrote: »
    This season had been a bit frustrating alright. Last season was fantastic but the pace this year is killing it.

My theory about Sophia is that she might be alive still, not a zombie, and is maybe being hidden somewhere on Herschalls farm. He's got a few radical ideas about the zombies just being sick and not dead, and also is very much the boss of his group. He also really wants to get Ricks group out of there as soon as possible. Maybe he's keeping/hiding her to add to his group, use her to re-populate down the line ?

I'm thinking she'll be found just as the whole group find out about the zombies in the barn and the **** will hit the fan. Maggie will have to decide to stay or go, etc.
    Either ways it has to be leading up to a big episode with lots of reveals and action/deaths.

paedo hershel :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Where is Sophia? They need to find her, since she was the lifeblood of the show. I won't watch it unless they FIND SOPHIA. I'll give them another twenty or thirty episodes, and then they better find her.
    Brilliant comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Im baffled by this show. Its reached a point where i just need to stop watching it but i still will. In any other scenario, a show with mostly bad characters, a mediocre script and an unfulfilled premise should be unwatchable but WD seems to have a draw to it none the less, theres still a lot of promise. Over the last couple of episodes it seems like Herschel is becoming more and more adamant that the group move on which i think will lead to an interesting turn of events, most likely instigated by the group getting closure on the whole Sophia story. Things might also be exacerbated by the gangs interaction with the barn zombies which Herschel et al still consider their family and friends.

I honestly have no idea but seriously this entire storyline has been in stasis for the last 5 episodes pretty much and i hope the ramp up the drama a bit soon. Killing off Andrea might be a nice bonus... or Glen... or Dale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

What an awesome mid-season ending! Sooooo good! Definitely reinvigorated the show for the next half of the season making me feel it's way too long way!
    Great ending with Sophia, that story needed a dramatic ending really for all the showtime they wasted on it. Actually said to a mate, I hope she's a zombie because it'd be a funny ending for a story involving dull characters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

PomBear wrote: »
    What an awesome mid-season ending! Sooooo good! Definitely reinvigorated the show for the next half of the season making me feel it's way too long way!
    Great ending with Sophia, that story needed a dramatic ending really for all the showtime they wasted on it. Actually said to a mate, I hope she's a zombie because it'd be a funny ending for a story involving dull characters

I agree I've just watched a day long marathon on AMC catching up on the whole season 2, I'm currently watching 'the talking dead' post show analysis.

Great show, any idea when it kicks off again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Victor_M wrote: »
    I agree I've just watched a day long marathon on AMC catching up on the whole season 2, I'm currently watching 'the talking dead' post show analysis.

Great show, any idea when it kicks off again?

February 12, 2012 :(

Anywhere can you watch the talking dead online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Don't know, I'm in the US at the moment but I'm sure your local friendly torrent site may be able to help with that!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

they have an after after show bit on the amc website but not the actual after show.

...finally!

i've started reading the comics and oh my god, they're brutal, brutal and crude, i can appreciate the tv show is a bit more subtle, hopefully we'll see rick start doing what he needs to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That was a good mid-season end. I would say though....it would have had the same impact after 3 episodes of the season than waiting for the 7th. They could have cut out some of the filler and still wowed people with that scene. I'm about to get specific so don't read on unless you have watched it.
    One thing bothered me about it. There were about 20 zombies in the barn. Glenn got a good look at them all when he first discovered the barn. How would you not spot a little girl among them? I know it was for plot purposes, but it was silly nontheless.

Herschell is a dead man walking. No way in hell the group will let him live. Although I can see them debating to kill, forgive or throw him off the farm.......and then a load of zombies attacking while they argue about what to do with him. He dies and they all flee and the story moves on. I'm expecting to see that in Feb when it returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

That season ending sounds very good. Did they really need to be on that farm for 6 episodes (6 hours of tv) before that happened though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Going by everyone's comments I'm looking forward to watching Episode 7 later :)
    Is it really that good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Going by everyone's comments I'm looking forward to watching Episode 7 later :)
    Is it really that good :)
    But why are you reading the thread before watching and risking getting spoiled? :confused:

Anyway just
    how did Sophia end up in the barn if Herschel and the others knew the group were looking for a little girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Well they were trying to hide the barn so they didn't want to tell them because that would reveal it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

amazing episode, really got chills at the end

Shane is a proper bad-ass, my favorite character by far at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Kirby wrote: »
    One thing bothered me about it. There were about 20 zombies in the barn. Glenn got a good look at them all when he first discovered the barn. How would you not spot a little girl among them? I know it was for plot purposes, but it was silly nontheless.
    Wasn't it pitch dark when Glen first entered the barn. He panicked when he heard/seen the walkers, plus with 20 of them a little girl wouldn't be that visible when there so spread out or what not, don't think its so unreasonable!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

amazing episode. really heart wrenching at the end.
    i actually felt more sorry for hershal that carol for some strange reason. you could tell by his face that the man is completely broken now. although what happened was a sad thing to do in the world of survival it had to be done.
    . have to say as well it was all filmed brilliantly and the use of music was good.

Advertisement