Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

Finally got around to having my second day IBT on Saturday,
    Was very slow at the start when we got out on the road, it took me a good 20 minutes to get comfortable on the bike again.

Got a few hours on the bike and had a great spin on a variety of different roads, main roads in the morning to get used to it but
    managed to get a few nice twisty back roads in the afternoon which was amazing and finally getting my head around counter steering!

Got my cert Saturday afternoon and went to look at a bike straight after lol

Picked it up on Sunday morning and went for a good spin, spent the whole day practicing

Hopefully the weather holds up a bit longer now

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

TobinIT wrote: »
    Finally got around to having my second day IBT on Saturday,
    Was very slow at the start when we got out on the road, it took me a good 20 minutes to get comfortable on the bike again.

Got a few hours on the bike and had a great spin on a variety of different roads, main roads in the morning to get used to it but
    managed to get a few nice twisty back roads in the afternoon which was amazing and finally getting my head around counter steering!

Got my cert Saturday afternoon and went to look at a bike straight after lol

Picked it up on Sunday morning and went for a good spin, spent the whole day practicing

Hopefully the weather holds up a bit longer now

Well Done :-)
    What Bike did you get ?
    J

Picked up a lovely CBR650F

jxv7xi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Best place to get a Learner vest?

TobinIT wrote: »
    Picked up a lovely CBR650F

jxv7xi.jpg
    Looks great :-)
    J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd be really tempted to have a go on one of those, be just like old times :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Mine is still A2 restricted from previous owner so its going into the Garage this weekend hopefully to get removed, I already have the replacement ECU & Intake Restriction.

Went out for a a few minutes Sunday evening after dark to get a feel for night riding only to realize the Dipped Headlight was not Working!
    ,that will teach me to do the pre checks before each spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jeff99

Hi,

Looking at a restricted 06 Sv650, bike was restricted early 2018. Are there any rules as to how long ago the bike was restricted for doing the a2 test?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

jeff99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking at a restricted 06 Sv650, bike was restricted early 2018. Are there any rules as to how long ago the bike was restricted for doing the a2 test?

Cheers.

Probably not. However, I believe that restriction certs are issued in owners names and not transferable. I have a Deauville 650 that I bought restricted, and the cert states that it only applies to the person named on it. It's no doubt a money making racket for the dealers, but better check it out, no point turning up for a test with a cert that won't be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Folks, I already asked this in the Learner driver's forum...and a week later haven't had a reply. So I'm hoping this might be a better place to ask...:)

Can anybody confirm that I do not need to supply an eyesight report when applying for a Category A Learner Permit ?
    I have had a Full Cat B for the last 28 years.
    The NDLS site (FAQ's) does not have it listed in the documents needed under;

"To apply for a Learner Permit where you are already the holder of a full licence in another category".

Thanks.

• Advertisement

No you don't need an eye test unless you have something noted on your licence to say you need glasses, etc

Thanks Tobin. and thanks for the quick reply.

Just to add a bit of context I was passing my local NDLS Office twice this week and asked the same question.
    The 1st time I met a lovely Girl who said I didn't need one.
    2nd time I spoke to a young Guy who told me I needed an eyesight report for any new Learner Permit application.

In fairness the girl seemed to know her stuff, the young Lad seemed a bit of a tool ;).

I got my learner permit almost 2 years ago now, same as you I have a full car license and I didn't need to get an eye test

And while I'm asking...do I need to get an actual Tabard ( as mentioned on the RSA Website) with L-plates, or is a Hi-viz vest (with L-Plates) acceptable for the Test etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭peteclarke

I have just booked the motorcycle test In a Dublin Test Centre. They will contact me when a slot comes up.
    Any idea what wait might be?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So my license is under the current system so I'm not sure about this, I went for full A first and only had a car before so I needed to do the theory test for the category.

If someone already has a full AM license from years ago do they need to do the theory test again or can they just apply for the permit and then go into the direct IBT for whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duke Dan

peteclarke wrote: »
    I have just booked the motorcycle test In a Dublin Test Centre. They will contact me when a slot comes up.
    Any idea what wait might be?
    Thanks

16 weeks is the latest time scale

DD

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Tiger20

Hi, just wondering if I can get clarity on something as I’m a bit confused. I passed my car driving test in 1989 and from memory you automatically got a motorbike license back then when you passed the test. On my current license I hold a Category A1 with code 79.05 and Category A with code 79.03. I last had a motorbike when I was 19(80cc) so can I now drive a motorbike and up to what power? Will not consider it until after a few lessons anyway and I know they will explain all to me, just wondering where I stand at the moment. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Tiger20 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if I can get clarity on something as I’m a bit confused. I passed my car driving test in 1989 and from memory you automatically got a motorbike license back then when you passed the test. On my current license I hold a Category A1 with code 79.05 and Category A with code 79.03. I last had a motorbike when I was 19(80cc) so can I now drive a motorbike and up to what power? Will not consider it until after a few lessons anyway and I know they will explain all to me, just wondering where I stand at the moment. Thanks in advance

The stipulation after the A bit is for a trike only not a motorbike, as for the 80cc you had when you were 18 I'm not sure you were covered for that I thought A1 was up to 50cc

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Tiger20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The stipulation after the A bit is for a trike only not a motorbike, as for the 80cc you had when you were 18 I'm not sure you were covered for that I thought A1 was up to 50cc

A1 is up to 125cc, you're thinking of category M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Tiger20 wrote: »

It would appear you are covered for

AM - Mopeds and Light quadricycles.
    A1 - Bikes up to 125cc and with no power to weight ratio restriction as the restriction code removes the ratio limit of 0.1Kw/Kg :confused:
    A - Tricycles only.

If you want to ride anything with less than 3 wheels and more than 125cc you need to go through the learner->IBT->test route. Would recommend ringing the NDLS to confirm it before nipping out to get a 125 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A1 - Bikes up to 125cc and with no power to weight ratio restriction as the restriction code removes the ratio limit of 0.1Kw/Kg :confused:

That'd be because historically the 125 category didn't have a power limit. Then unrestricted Italian two-strokes came along with almost three times the power of traditional 125s...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

How much is IBT training? I am 61 have car drivers licence since 1977 and am thinking of a 125cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

lipso wrote: »
    How much is IBT training? I am 61 have car drivers licence since 1977 and am thinking of a 125cc.

Close to €500 is the run of it.

I would agree with that about 500 yo yo
    As the cost of the training is the same I would probably go for something a little bigger

As a recent return to biking I am amazed at the speed cars can be up your hole away from the lights compared to the late 80's when I had a GSX250E

For example I am on a learners permit @55 years on a versys 650 for €450 and €88 road tax

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

Expensive....wonder if it’s done in n Ireland is that valid for roi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

It's not.

You need to do it in Ireland.

Go for the full A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

lipso wrote: »
    Expensive....wonder if it’s done in n Ireland is that valid for roi?

you would need a NI number and proof of residency to do it in N ireland.
    after that you can transfer your license to the south.

(I transferred mine across a few years ago for the car

Advertisement