Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Sorry if this question is covered but I can’t find the answer.

If someone aged >24 completes IBT on a provisional Cat A licence does this cover them to ride all CAT A bikes on public roads for the two year period of cert?

Or are there restrictions?

I seem to understand the licence process apart from that element. It appears they can but I’m surprised that someone could (in theory) hop up on a super bike (for example) after a bit of IBT.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Peppa Cig wrote: »

If someone aged >24 completes IBT on a provisional Cat A licence does this cover them to ride all CAT A bikes on public roads for the two year period of cert?

I seem to understand the licence process apart from that element. It appears they can but I’m surprised that someone could (in theory) hop up on a super bike (for example) after a bit of IBT.

Thanks

Theoretically, yes.

But you won't be able to get insurance. The likes of Liberty and Carole Nash don't even cover some A1 and A2 bikes for a newbie. They straight up refuse.

I have driving licence for cars and other vehicles (not bikes) obtained pre 2000.

Do I have to do the bike theory test to get a learner permit? (Conflicting information in previous thread search).

Will Cat A provisional be added to my car Driving licence or is it a separate provisional licence?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

troyzer wrote: »
    Theoretically, yes.

But you won't be able to get insurance. The likes of Liberty and Carole Nash don't even cover some A1 and A2 bikes for a newbie. They straight up refuse.

That is very true as I'v been having that problem for 12 months now. Can't get cover for a bandit [600cc] so I am stuck doing bike hire form a bike school for lessons and the test whenever the tests start up again. Not easy down here in Kerry I can tell you as there is hardly any bike schools left running.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I have driving licence for cars and other vehicles (not bikes) obtained pre 2000.

Do I have to do the bike theory test to get a learner permit? (Conflicting information in previous thread search).

Will Cat A provisional be added to my car Driving licence or is it a separate provisional licence?

Thanks

As far as I can tell, you will need to do a theory test before you get the learner permit. The learner permit [A class] will be a separate one from a full car licence.
    Full licence- pink in colour
    Learner permit- green in colour.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Thanks

A pre 2004 (I think) driving licence will entitle you to an 50cc AM licence.
    If you want to get a bigger bike you are back to square one doing theory test and IBT.
    You will receive a separate provisional licence. Once you have passed bike test you merge the two on to one licence.

shutup wrote: »
    A pre 2004 (I think) driving licence will entitle you to an 50cc AM licence.
    If you want to get a bigger bike you are back to square one doing theory test and IBT.
    You will receive a separate provisional licence. Once you have passed bike test you merge the two on to one licence.

I do have full AM category on my licence.

I think a post a few years ago suggested that he did not need theory test to get provisional A if you hold full AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Thanks

If you did your theory test before a certain date, then usually no, but you have to phone the ndls when back open to confirm.
    Still have to get the permit and do ibt if exempt from the theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Thanks

Once you have the A permit and ibt complete you can ride any bike you can insure.
    Insure being the operative word no insurer will currently cover a 24 year old on a new permit to ride a 1000cc+ sports bike. It's hard enough get a 600cc sport bike insured for most.
    Only difference between a cbr600rr and cbr1000rr in terms of ridability apart from minor handling differences is horsepower and torque. Both of which you're in control of with the throttle.
    Twist a hyabusa throttle like you would a bandit you're in for a bad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

Thanks

You will have to do the theory test ( download the NDLS app approx €12 which is great for practise) thend go and do the IBT after that pick your bike, nothing with an R at the end of it, simply pick something simple... I've just done the theory at the grand age of 56 and was just about to book an IBT when all this Virus stuff happened, I,ll be looking out for what I believe is a good starter bike for me Yamaha MT07 and having checked Insurance it will be approx €750
    Hope that helps somewhat and yes you will have 2 licences in the wallet for the next while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

dubal2008 wrote: »
    You will have to do the theory test ( download the NDLS app approx €12 which is great for practise) thend go and do the IBT after that pick your bike, nothing with an R at the end of it, simply pick something simple... I've just done the theory at the grand age of 56 and was just about to book an IBT when all this Virus stuff happened, I,ll be looking out for what I believe is a good starter bike for me Yamaha MT07 and having checked Insurance it will be approx €750
    Hope that helps somewhat and yes you will have 2 licences in the wallet for the next while

Hi All, complete novice here and the start of the thread is massively helpful and great insight so cheers.

I can concur on the App, I had a free one but this one is way more comprehensive and I’ve only had it a few days so I went from 32/40 to 36/40 reading up on a good few questions but still hundreds left so well worth the 12.99 already. Hope this helps, I’m also a complete novice.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Van, Bike trailer?
    As a bonus you will also learn the dark art of tying a motorcycle down.:D

:D:D:D

For anybody else in the same position as me (looking to do an IBT Course) seems like they will not be back open for business until August, I guess I picked the wrong year to go back to a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

For anybody else in the same position as me (looking to do an IBT Course) seems like they will not be back open for business until August, I guess I picked the wrong year to go back to a bike

airport driving school are doing them now as it's possible to maintain social distance with the bikes

That's interesting i,ll give them a call so

Thanks ec18 just booked in for a weekend course soon.....

General question about licenses and test. I'm over 24 so can go to the A license. My plan is to do the theory test and IBT then get bike, primarily for commuting but would also like to be able to have one that can be used on the motorway (after passing full test). So to the question if I buy say for example a 250cc bike for commuting/road time and do the test on that bike would the license still be A or do you need to do the test on a bike in that category?

you will need to do the test on an A category bike to have the full A license but you can hire a school bike to do the test on

Mjolnir wrote: »
    If you did your theory test before a certain date, then usually no, but you have to phone the ndls when back open to confirm.
    Still have to get the permit and do ibt if exempt from the theory test.

I’ll add to that, you can email them also I done it in the last two weeks , info@ndls.ie they were very helpful
    They will ask you for these so send these with your email
    In order to access your record in relation to your query please confirm the following:

* Driver number of PPS number.

* Date of birth.

* That you are the licence holder.

They were very good.

Where did you see that info? I did get a reschedule email as I had it booked for May 27th then could only get July for where I live, Yea I could be doing the IBT in the depths of winter

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    airport driving school are doing them now as it's possible to maintain social distance with the bikes

Is that Waterford?

Is that Waterford?

Dublin

ec18 wrote: »
    Dublin

You would think they’d be still operating country wide, I’m astonished that Theory Test Centres aren’t open, they could easily do segregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Where did you see that info? I did get a reschedule email as I had it booked for May 27th then could only get July for where I live, Yea I could be doing the IBT in the depths of winter

I did mine in November and it pissed rain for a decent portion of the road section on the big bike. Best thing that could have happened in hindsight.

I did mine in November and it pissed rain for a decent portion of the road section on the big big. Best thing that could have happened in hindsight.

Yea in at the deep end tends to bring the best out in alot of ppl, all your safety guards are up and I guess you are a better rider for it. I’ll do mine whenever I get there Theory Test passed so if it’s winter then I’ll go do it. How did you find IBT? Were you a full on beginner?

How did you find IBT? Were you a full on beginner?

I was.

To be honest with you for the first few hours in the compound I thought I was in real trouble.

I couldn't get a feel for it at all and was doing it with a young guy that had spent time on scramblers and he took to it very quickly.

I have a quad for the farm and to say I lacked finesse would be an understatement, I had been using the front brake as an on/off switch and never touched the rear brake, I think I would have gotten my head around it better had I not been used to the quad, maybe, I was chronically bad though!

I'd prefer not to admit how long it took me to successfully turn on an indicator.

The second we got onto the road I settled. I suppose I drive defensively in the car and would be used rev-matching and working through the gears so the principles carried over and I felt like I was in a more comfortable environment oddly enough.

The younger guy I was with was far more ropey on the road but I thought it was great.

I've done around 10 or 11 thousand km since November and sold my car. So I suppose it went well in the end!

I was spending a good few hours in empty car parks at the start doing loads of slow speed drills which definitely helped.

I still have absolutely no idea what I'm doing but I couldn't recommend it more. It's one of those things where the more you improve the more you realise how bad you are. I wish I'd gotten a bike 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Total newbie here. . What id like to know is , can I buy a bike and drive it with a learner permit? Can I take the bike to test centers and use it to complete the training?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

You can ride it on public roads once you have a valid leaner permit for that class of motorcycle, a valid IBT competency cert and then Insurance + Tax.

I beleive you can use your own bike for the IBT modules but you can't actually ride it from your house to do the IBT.

A guy doing the IBT the same time as me rolled up to do his on a BMW 1200RT - he completed the IBT on that bike but if he was stopped on his way there by the guards they would have be within their rights to take it away as he didn't have his IBT completed and was a learner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

You can ride it on public roads once you have a valid leaner permit for that class of motorcycle, a valid IBT competency cert and then Insurance + Tax.

I beleive you can use your own bike for the IBT modules but you can't actually ride it from your house to do the IBT.

A guy doing the IBT the same time as me rolled up to do his on a BMW 1200RT - he completed the IBT on that bike but if he was stopped on his way there by the guards they would have be within their rights to take it away as he didn't have his IBT completed and was a learner.

Thanks. Is the learner permit given out on completion of IBT training? How long does it take to complete a module? Must all modules be completed in order to get a learner permit. Those are my last questions!

• Advertisement

BruteStock wrote: »
    Thanks. Is the learner permit given out on completion of IBT training? How long does it take to complete a module? Must all modules be completed in order to get a learner permit. Those are my last questions!

You can get your permit before you do the IBT, you can't do the road portion without it as far as I know.

Advertisement