Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

They are CE approved that’s what counts. I’m not doing it on the cheap at all but they need to CE approved, any bikers I know have said that’s what matters.

There's different standards of CE test for boots. I don't know which ones these meet but for an extra couple of bucks you could get a cheap pair of richas, rst etc. On sale. I am sure safety wise these are fine but where cheap gear can let you down is with water proofing. Anyway buy whichever you want I'm just giving you an option you might have overlooked. I have always found sports bike shop have good deals on gear whenever I'm in the market for anything so worth a look,they also have a huge database of customer reviews so you can actually read about them unlke ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

zubair wrote: »
    There's different standards of CE test for boots. I don't know which ones these meet but for an extra couple of bucks you could get a cheap pair of richas, rst etc. On sale. I am sure safety wise these are fine but where cheap gear can let you down is with water proofing. Anyway buy whichever you want I'm just giving you an option you might have overlooked. I have always found sports bike shop have good deals on gear whenever I'm in the market for anything so worth a look,they also have a huge database of customer reviews so you can actually read about them unlke ebay.

Thanks very much that’s really helpful, I’m going to go to my local bike shop not that it’s open and hoping to buy locally, the Richas look very good to so I’ll go for that option if I can’t find good ones locally. I’m here to get quality gear not save a few euro. Any other sites to get quality I’ll happily look into, Cheers Zubair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Earliest date in Cork for theory test is September. Don't know if its because of backlog or Covid but that the wait I have to take.

Emailed a school about IBT training and heard nothing back so they must still be off work. I got the situation sussed out now I think. The only grey area left is licence category.

My understanding is A covers all bikes and A1 covers up to a certain CC. To do the test for the A licence must the bike be over 600 CC? Or must a learner go through stages - A1 first and later the full A??

I dropped into a bike shop in town and seem very nice riding boots for 95 euro made by SPADA and the CE approved label. So think I’ll purchase them next week, he’s lots of good gear well priced so might build up a rapport with him by buying there plus shopping local and he’s got a nice selection of bikes for sale too.
    Marcus Dohertys in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭horse7

Megabikes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

Always good to name a place that you get good service, will help others locally

BruteStock wrote: »
    Earliest date in Cork for theory test is September. Don't know if its because of backlog or Covid but that the wait I have to take.

Emailed a school about IBT training and heard nothing back so they must still be off work. I got the situation sussed out now I think. The only grey area left is licence category.

My understanding is A covers all bikes and A1 covers up to a certain CC. To do the test for the A licence must the bike be over 600 CC? Or must a learner go through stages - A1 first and later the full A??

Earliest in Waterford is July 22nd. Few IBT are open but down to owners discretion. I think in regards to full test if you do the IBT on 600 then you can go any bike size but I could be wrong if so I stand corrected.

dubal2008 wrote: »
    Always good to name a place that you get good service, will help others locally

Marcus Doherty Mayors Walk, Waterford. I haven’t bought from there yet just a chat but my friend has bought from there and he’s plenty of good things to say plus he was super chatty and came across really good which counts a lot for me. 2 year warranty on the boots too.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

...Emailed a school about IBT training and heard nothing back so they must still be off work. I got the situation sussed out now I think. The only grey area left is licence category.

I think in regards to full test if you do the IBT on 600 then you can go any bike size but I could be wrong if so I stand corrected.

I'd recommend ringing rather than email if possible. You'll be able to ask questions and make arrangements more quickly than exchanging loads of emails.

A class covers any bike, A1 is smallest (think 125) and A2 is the middle (125 - 600) although I should mention even though people still think in CCs for simplicity but its the power to weight ratio in kW that decides it. For example a heavy 600cc bike might not qualify for A as the ratio is too low. Check the vehicle reg cert and consult the RSA bike list (can be hit & miss).

Using a school bike would be a safe bet as that would have ensured they were suitable for an A class test. Also worth noting the age restriction as well - you have to be 24 to get A. OR 20 if progressing from full A2 licence.

Have a read of the RSA guidance here
    https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Licence-categories-explained/

Earliest in Waterford is July 22nd. Few IBT are open but down to owners discretion. I think in regards to full test if you do the IBT on 600 then you can go any bike size but I could be wrong if so I stand corrected.

Not a bad idea actually. I might take the longer drive to get it done quicker.

• Advertisement

Would it be inadvisable for a total newbie learn on a 600cc ?? Im thinking about learning on a Bandit or a Honda CBF. I'll probably get something around the 300 range , but im just wondering if its possible to learn on something bigger..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Would it be inadvisable for a total newbie learn on a 600cc ?? Im thinking about learning on a Bandit or a Honda CBF. I'll probably get something around the 300 range , but im just wondering if its possible to learn on something bigger..

I learned on a 650.

No issues.

If you qualify for the A then 100% go for it. You don't want to be changing or renting bikes in 6 months time to do the test. The cbf600 is a great learner bike and I'd highly recommend it for starting out. Its forgiving compared to other 600s because of the power band being quite linear compared to other IL4s but is no slouch.

If you qualify for the A then 100% go for it. You don't want to be changing or renting bikes in 6 months time to do the test. The cbf600 is a great learner bike and I'd highly recommend it for starting out. Its forgiving compared to other 600s because of the power band being quite linear compared to other IL4s but is no slouch.

From my recent experience, it's very difficult to get insurance for a learner on an IL4. I could only get insurance on twins. Went with the ER6-f in the end. The SV650 is another good choice.

troyzer wrote: »
    From my recent experience, it's very difficult to get insurance for a learner on an IL4. I could only get insurance on twins. Went with the ER6-f in the end. The SV650 is another good choice.

Not sure which bikes you were looking at but the cbf600 is used by a lot of instructors. The hornet and fz6 would also be popular as first bikes.

My friends have advised me to go for Fazer 600 on the IBT & it helps you don’t have to do another IBT a few years down the line if you wanted to upgrade to a big bike day if you don’t it in like a 125cc. My thoughts are I don’t know the difference between the bikes as I never rode before so once it suits my body and I’m feeling comfortable then why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

are theory test bookings open again?

Not sure which bikes you were looking at but the cbf600 is used by a lot of instructors. The hornet and fz6 would also be popular as first bikes.

Yeah, I was instructed on a CB600.

But when I went to buy one, Liberty straight up refused to insure me and Principle gave me an outrageous quote.

It's something to do with insurance categories.

I started out on a 125 at my IBT then progressed to a MT07 (690) before going on the road part so you will likely experience both and probably won't be put straight on an A class bike if your a total newbie (like I was!).

I can also vouch for FZ6/Fazer 600 (which is an inline 4) being a good first bike (in my opinion) from my personal experience and had no hassle getting insured as a 37 year old on a learner permit from Carole Nash. Bit expensive at €550 but that's what happens when you've no motorbike NCB.

I started out on a 125 at my IBT then progressed to a MT07 (690) before going on the road part so you will likely experience both and probably won't be put straight on an A class bike if your a total newbie (like I was!).

I can also vouch for FZ6/Fazer 600 (which is an inline 4) being a good first bike (in my opinion) from my personal experience and had no hassle getting insured as a 37 year old on a learner permit from Carole Nash. Bit expensive at €550 but that's what happens when you've no motorbike NCB.

€550? Not bad. I paid €900 on my ER6-f, I'm 27.

These prices are all over the place.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    €550? Not bad. I paid €900 on my ER6-f, I'm 27.

These prices are all over the place.
    Yeah I think being a bit older and its TPF&T cover only might have helped.

I'm paying more in car insurance despite 15 years claims free driving cause my car is old but that's a rant for another day....

So you can do that in the IBT? Start learning the basics on 125 & he’ll move you to a 600 if you want or he’s happy for you to?
    Insurance wise it’s between 150-750 I’m told so I’m expecting around the €500 plus mark which in fairness for a total newbie on a bike is respectable compared to driving a car as a complete newbie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

So you can do that in the IBT? Start learning the basics on 125 & he’ll move you to a 600 if you want or he’s happy for you to?

Yep. They do it here in Cork.

On the insurance side of things,

When I first started out as a teenager/Young adult in 2003 on an X8R-X it cost me €750 TPO. (Hibernian Insurance)

In 2008 on a Bandit 600 it cost me €400 TPFT (Quinn-Direct)

Both of these were on a then Provisional Licence with zero ncb.

In 2018 on the DL650 & MBK on a learner permit and zero ncb €450 FC reduced by €50 once I passed the driving test. (Principal)

Yep. They do it here in Cork.

Was that with two Declans (Two Wheel Training) yeah? I'd highly recommend them if you're in the Cork area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Was that with two Declans (Two Wheel Training) yeah? I'd highly recommend them if you're in the Cork area.

Spot on, did my IBT with Dec 1.

There was a 69 year old lady starting out on bikes (Legally) and was on a GN125 around the car park before progressing to the MT-07, it wasn't a bother on her. Same lady now has a Goldwing Trike in Kerry as far as i know, all in 2 years.

I would go with the 2 Declan's over the Blarney based company from personal experience.

Theory test booked for July. If there's any questions that may be tricky to answer , let me know!.. Im going to buy the cd rom from the RSA website anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

most definitely download the official app onto your phone, and simply keep doing the tests and doing the answers you get wrong all the time,
    I went from an average of 34/36 to 38/39 in a matter of days and got 40 in the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I did the theory about 5 years ago and I can not recall if I got feedback on the questions I got wrong but I am sure I was stuck on the question about how and when to open manual gates at a level crossing.

Dan.

dubal2008 wrote: »
    most definitely download the official app onto your phone, and simply keep doing the tests and doing the answers you get wrong all the time,
    I went from an average of 34/36 to 38/39 in a matter of days and got 40 in the test

Thanks. Downloading the app saved me money and is far more practical than the interactive option on the RSA website.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Downloading the app saved me money and is far more practical than the interactive option on the RSA website.

Yea that App for 12.99 is definitely worth it, it’s got so much to cover and learn from. These pre crash reports and the convictions for different types of Alcholin the system are tricky, allot takes is a few crappy ones at the start to shake the confidence but you can just click for the incorrect ones and I try use word association when they come around again. It’s good to get in the habit of going back to scan over the questions again as we have 45 mins and could get it done in 15 so plenty of revision time if you see unsure.

Advertisement