Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Any idea when tests will be back on?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

You can ride it on public roads once you have a valid leaner permit for that class of motorcycle, a valid IBT competency cert and then Insurance + Tax.

I beleive you can use your own bike for the IBT modules but you can't actually ride it from your house to do the IBT.

A guy doing the IBT the same time as me rolled up to do his on a BMW 1200RT - he completed the IBT on that bike but if he was stopped on his way there by the guards they would have be within their rights to take it away as he didn't have his IBT completed and was a learner.

Do you not need to send copy of IBT to insurance company to get insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I was.

To be honest with you for the first few hours in the compound I thought I was in real trouble.

I couldn't get a feel for it at all and was doing it with a young guy that had spent time on scramblers and he took to it very quickly.

I have a quad for the farm and to say I lacked finesse would be an understatement, I had been using the front brake as an on/off switch and never touched the rear brake, I think I would have gotten my head around it better had I not been used to the quad, maybe, I was chronically bad though!

I'd prefer not to admit how long it took me to successfully turn on an indicator.

The second we got onto the road I settled. I suppose I drive defensively in the car and would be used rev-matching and working through the gears so the principles carried over and I felt like I was in a more comfortable environment oddly enough.

The younger guy I was with was far more ropey on the road but I thought it was great.

I've done around 10 or 11 thousand km since November and sold my car. So I suppose it went well in the end!

I was spending a good few hours in empty car parks at the start doing loads of slow speed drills which definitely helped.

I still have absolutely no idea what I'm doing but I couldn't recommend it more. It's one of those things where the more you improve the more you realise how bad you are. I wish I'd gotten a bike 15 years ago.

That is class thanks so much for sharing your experience. Yea that’s my plan to use the car parks close to me to do the slow drills and practice practice practice. I drove in a dream does that count :D Yea I’ve always loved looking at bikes and I dunno why it’s taken me this long but it’s something I’m looking forward to immensely.

BruteStock wrote: »
    Thanks. Is the learner permit given out on completion of IBT training? How long does it take to complete a module? Must all modules be completed in order to get a learner permit. Those are my last questions!

The learners permit is given once you pass The Theory Test and apply for it with the NDLS. The IBT I’m looking at is a 2 day intensive course. IBT cert is given once training completed and then you can insure the bike to be able to ride. IBT centres have bikes included in the price. The recommendations I have been given is to do the IBT on trainers bikes and then you can go buy your own one.
    Ask as much as you like everyone is helpful here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Do you not need to send copy of IBT to insurance company to get insurance?

Very unlikely, but possible. For internal reasons they may do this but they are not forbidden from insuring you - you are permitted to ride under the care of an instructor and you need a valid learner permit and insurance to take to the road. There are poop-tons of insured drivers floating around on learner permits having never completed their EDT who renew their permit every 12mths - as long as they keep satisfying the NDLS they are entitled to hold the permit, no one can make them take the EDT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Presumably insurance would be a lot higher if you declare you have no IBT certificate?

Lads are hardly saying they have done IBT to insurance company when the have not.....

Does anyone definitely know if you 100% have to have your IBT done to get insured? Do they all when you go to insure your bike? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The learners permit is given once you pass The Theory Test and apply for it with the NDLS. The IBT I’m looking at is a 2 day intensive course. IBT cert is given once training completed and then you can insure the bike to be able to ride. IBT centres have bikes included in the price. The recommendations I have been given is to do the IBT on trainers bikes and then you can go buy your own one.
    Ask as much as you like everyone is helpful here.

Thanks.. Will that 2 day course complete all 16 hours training for you? Will you then apply to sit the actual driving test?

Thanks.. Will that 2 day course complete all 16 hours training for you? Will you then apply to sit the actual driving test?

As far as I’m aware that covers it all, Theory day 1 & Practical Day 2. Can’t apply until I’m 6 months riding my bike but I’ll definitely apply for it in that timeline as that’s how I passed my car driving test with little or no bad habits.

As far as I’m aware that covers it all, Theory day 1 & Practical Day 2. Can’t apply until I’m 6 months riding my bike but I’ll definitely apply for it in that timeline as that’s how I passed my car driving test with little or no bad habits.

So after thats done you can kinda build up experience on your own if you wanted , opposed to paying instructors for lessons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Presumably insurance would be a lot higher if you declare you have no IBT certificate?

Lads are hardly saying they have done IBT to insurance company when the have not.....

Maybe they didn't contact the insurance companies. ;-)
    Does anyone definitely know if you 100% have to have your IBT done to get insured? Do they all when you go to insure your bike? Cheers

Yes, it's a question when going through the application process (or was when I was a learner) and some insurers won't provide cover until it's completed. But if you plan to do the IBT on your own bike and you'll want to have it insured for theft so speak to the insurance company and discuss it with them but on the road without an IBT you'd need to be with the instructor to be covered and as far as I know it's 6 penalty points and a fine for no IBT.

So after thats done you can kinda build up experience on your own if you wanted , opposed to paying instructors for lessons?

Whichever works, for everyone is different but I’ll be doing practice practice practice then I’ll get lessons off I get on well with my IBT Trainer.

zubair wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't contact the insurance companies. ;-)

Yes, it's a question when going through the application process (or was when I was a learner) and some insurers won't provide cover until it's completed. But if you plan to do the IBT on your own bike and you'll want to have it insured for theft so speak to the insurance company and discuss it with them but on the road without an IBT you'd need to be with the instructor to be covered and as far as I know it's 6 penalty points and a fine for no IBT.

Cheers that’s great info but I’m going there IBT way before even buying my bike, going to do it on the IBT bike and all through there. Going to get my own gear as the months go on which is handy now cause god knows when Test Centre opens and IBT gets back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

you can book your IBT with Airport Driving School

Any centres in Cork open?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Call them. I don't believe anyone here works for all the insurance companies.

It isn't mandated that you must take IBT on a school bike. How can you take IBT on your bike if you haven't got insurance?

EDIT: I asked my my housemate and they insured him about the first-time insurance he got in January and they insured him before he had taken IBT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Some insurers will insure you on the basis that you do IBT within 30 days. Also I know that Principal Insurance for example do ask for the IBT cert. I did my own IBT with Declan O’Donovan on one of his school bikes purely as my own fell just short of the KW output for category A. Did the same for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Principal insured me prior to getting my IBT as the bike was sitting outside my house. They also said I could do the IBT on mine if I wanted and could fire away once I had the cert without notifying them.

I did have to send in a copy at some point.

Cheers that’s great info but I’m going there IBT way before even buying my bike, going to do it on the IBT bike and all through there. Going to get my own gear as the months go on which is handy now cause god knows when Test Centre opens and IBT gets back up and running.

That's the best way imo

cantdecide wrote: »
    Call them. I don't believe anyone here works for all the insurance companies.

It isn't mandated that you must take IBT on a school bike. How can you take IBT on your bike if you haven't got insurance?

EDIT: I asked my my housemate and they insured him about the first-time insurance he got in January and they insured him before he had taken IBT.

That was my question really just to gather peoples experience not one answer to cover all insurers, good info though from your housemate cheers.

• Advertisement

That's the best way imo

I got my gloves recently from these on eBay
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/131383294982 Great quality and I’m looking at buying these boots from them also all CE approved too https://www.ebay.ie/itm/133175860138

I got my gloves recently from these on eBay
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/131383294982 Great quality and I’m looking at buying these boots from them also all CE approved too https://www.ebay.ie/itm/133175860138

For 60 bucks I'd be spending a couple more euros on sports bike shop for a known brand.

For 60 bucks I'd be spending a couple more euros on sports bike shop for a known brand.

They are CE approved that’s what counts. I’m not doing it on the cheap at all but they need to CE approved, any bikers I know have said that’s what matters.

Can you rent a bike from the IBT centres, say you won’t have your bike for a few weeks, would it be possible to rent one? Just a gentle wonderment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

No you can't.

You'll need your own bike because you won't get one off a rental company either unless you have a full license.

I wouldn't be buying any gear off ebay unless I knew the brand - for not much more you could get these boots
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/95897

You can read the reviews from other riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

They are CE approved that’s what counts. I’m not doing it on the cheap at all but they need to CE approved, any bikers I know have said that’s what matters.

Sorry but just wondering where you are seeing the CE approved ? Had a look at the link and can't see anything.

No you can't.

You'll need your own bike because you won't get one off a rental company either unless you have a full license.

I wouldn't be buying any gear off ebay unless I knew the brand - for not much more you could get these boots
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/95897

You can read the reviews from other riders.

Have bought from this site, what drew the sizing like?
    Never thought you could just wondered is all I’ll be waiting till I buy my own bike I’ll check that site out Cheers

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Sorry but just wondering where you are seeing the CE approved ? Had a look at the link and can't see anything.

There’s the label I know it was in the description but can’t find it atm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

There’s the label I know it was in the description but can’t find it atm

Just be careful it's not a "Chinese Export" symbol instead of a "Certified European" one. Very slight differences between the two.

The fact it mentions nothing about conforming to European standards in the description is kinda dubious to be honest with ya.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Just be careful it's not a "Chinese Export" symbol instead of a "Certified European" one. Very slight differences between the two.

The fact it mentions nothing about conforming to European standards in the description is kinda dubious to be honest with ya.

I did speak to someone who says they’ve those exact same gloves and verified it’s the correct tag but I will look out for it. I swore I seen it in the description but maybe just the CE through me. In the link you sent me I couldn’t find any CE approval on the boots either come to think of it.

Advertisement