Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Is this the right type of earphones? Ratings are low, sound quality poor...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hensych-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Speakers-Headphones/dp/B01C7119WM

I have these fixed in helmet lining for listening to music.

Panasonic RP-HS46E-K Slim Clip on Earphone - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002GAXWF2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_RE9KKCQQWXA1F7PB465G

Should do for a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Is this the right type of earphones? Ratings are low, sound quality poor...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hensych-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Speakers-Headphones/dp/B01C7119WM

That's the kind
    Sound quality out of the radios used is beyond crap anyway regardless of what you pair up with.
    I've used them in work for years and by God there's time I honestly just spend an entire night replying with what.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Mjolnir wrote: »
    That's the kind
    Sound quality out of the radios used is beyond crap anyway regardless of what you pair up with.
    I've used them in work for years and by God there's time I honestly just spend an entire night replying with what.

Yep. It sounds like a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Yep. It sounds like a nightmare

Honestly around the town section they're grand, you'll struggle a bit but you'll be all right as long as you're not hearing impaired.
    When you get upto speed on a 100km/h section in wind you probably won't hear at all, so helps to have an idea of the routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Still on my L plates.
    Something that never came up on IBT, but what do you do on dual carriageways (N11, etc).
    We did drive a section of N11 from bray to kilmacanogue, stayed in outside lane.
    But never had to deal with traffic lights and stopping starting.
    Currently I'm driving in outside lane and stopping behind the cars in the lane.
    Can I filter to the front? If so, do I filter through the middle? Do you have to wait for cars to be stopped before filtering to front? When you get to the front should you get back into outside lane and stop?
    What about bus lanes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

garlad wrote: »
    Still on my L plates.
    Something that never came up on IBT, but what do you do on dual carriageways (N11, etc).
    We did drive a section of N11 from bray to kilmacanogue, stayed in outside lane.
    But never had to deal with traffic lights and stopping starting.
    Currently I'm driving in outside lane and stopping behind the cars in the lane.
    Can I filter to the front? If so, do I filter through the middle? Do you have to wait for cars to be stopped before filtering to front? When you get to the front should you get back into outside lane and stop?
    What about bus lanes?

For me its really about doing what I think is convenient and safe, every road is different. Personally I'll filter to the lights on the N11, down the middle, not sure of another way of doing it bar the bus lane. When the bus lane is there I often use it, N11 is notorious for drivers diving into the bus lane when there's a left turn up ahead and the lights are red so be vigilant. I just make room for another bike when I get to the front, I don't think too much about which lane I get in then, whichever is safest. I would start filtering just as the car in front of me starts to come to a stop, leave enough of a gap between you and them that you can get a shoulder check in without running into the back of them.

Remember when approaching a red that you didn't see change could be close to changing to green. And a quick assessment of the scenario, risk vs reward; is it safe to filter and will you gain much from the manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I hope by outside lane you don't mean overtaking lane

Better to call them 1, 2, 3... from left to right, and there is definitely no such thing as a fast lane!

Don't attempt filtering until you are a bit more experienced. Last thing you want to happen is have the traffic move off again either side of you and get panicked (it's no big deal really though, match their speed and find a gap to move safely back into.) If you saw when the light went red then you'll know whether you have enough time to comfortably get to the front before it goes green again. If in doubt stay in your lane. And shoulder check for other bikes before moving over to filter!

Always command your lane i.e. do not leave a gap to the left or the right of you big enough to allow a car to try to squeeze by you in the same lane.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

well I'm off to the off licence.

I was supposed to be doing the test tmrw, but I've spent the last 3 hours checking everywhere and anywhere I store my documents... cos yep, you guessed it... IBT cert is gone AWOL.

I don't suppose those of you who have been through the process before have any knowledge as to whether or not its worth chancing my arm and just turning up without it? How many of you were asked for the form on the day?

I've sent a message to Eric Dalton, I'm supposed to have a pretest with him before the test tmrw just to ask his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I was supposed to be doing the test tmrw, but I've spent the last 3 hours checking everywhere and anywhere I store my documents... cos yep, you guessed it... IBT cert is gone AWOL.

I don't suppose those of you who have been through the process before have any knowledge as to whether or not its worth chancing my arm and just turning up without it? How many of you were asked for the form on the day?

I've sent a message to Eric Dalton, I'm supposed to have a pretest with him before the test tmrw just to ask his opinion.

you've lost the money either way for the test, so show up explain the situation and hope for the best.
    I'd be more concerned about making sure you bring proof the Motorcycle is suitable for the test. (I nearly couldn't do mine as they wouldn't believe me the bike was 800cc as there was a F650 single as awell as a F650 twin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Of course it's worth chancing your arm. You've nothing to lose by trying.

If you did your IBT with Eric, surely he can sort you out with a cert? If not, get onto your instructor and see what can be done.

Unsure if you're joking, but if not I wouldn't be hitting the off licence the day before a test. Last thing ya need is a groggy head and a temper when trying to talk the examiner out of needing the IBT cert!

• Advertisement

goblin59 wrote: »
    you've lost the money either way for the test, so show up explain the situation and hope for the best.
    I'd be more concerned about making sure you bring proof the Motorcycle is suitable for the test. (I nearly couldn't do mine as they wouldn't believe me the bike was 800cc as there was a F650 single as awell as a F650 twin

Oh I know I’ve lost the test money, and also the bike hire, as my own is a deauville, so not an A bike. I’m hiring a bike from Eric for the test, which is why I was asking his opinion too. No pint in dragging the man out of bed unnecessarily!

Unsure if you're joking, but if not I wouldn't be hitting the off licence the day before a test. Last thing ya need is a groggy head and a temper when trying to talk the examiner out of needing the IBT cert!

I was more going with the drown the sorrows option, as in not doing the test so feck it!!

I suppose it all depends on whether or not Eric says take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Have a look on here.

https://ccwdriver.rsa.ie/driver/driverlogin.aspx

You can print stuff off with it and it'll have the dates and your number. Maybe the tester won't take it but it's another option to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You don't need the cert. I brought mine, instructor told me I needn't have bothered. I wasn't asked for it, you have to sign a declaration to say you're legal and have the vlc, that's it. In fact I didn't even bring it to the test centre, I put it back in my car in my instructor's compound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Wasn't asked to show my IBT cert either.

Just the learner permit and that was it.

I don't remember being asked for my cert. Bring what you have. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

zubair wrote: »
    I don't remember being asked for my cert. Bring what you have. Best of luck with it.

So if my 2 year IBT cert expires before I actually get a test date - there is no need to renew IBT?

• Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

Technically that's different, your insurance policy may no longer be valid.

The big issue at the moment is that IBTs are all currently on hold during level 5, in effect putting a number of bikers off the road!
    Peppa Cig wrote: »
    So if my 2 year IBT cert expires before I actually get a test date - there is no need to renew IBT?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The idea that an IBT expires is ridiculous. Once you pass your test you don't need to repeat it...

Life ain't always empty.

I actually think it's a good idea, if someone can't pass their test they shouldn't be allowed to continue to ride on the road indefinitely without further training.

Obviously current circumstances are very different and they should either reopen IBT training or extend existing certs!
    The idea that an IBT expires is ridiculous. Once you pass your test you don't need to repeat it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

minttea wrote: »
    I actually think it's a good idea, if someone can't pass their test they shouldn't be allowed to continue to ride on the road indefinitely without further training.

Obviously current circumstances are very different and they should either reopen IBT training or extend existing certs!

He didn't mention not passing the test... he was talking about IBT's having a limited lifetime... The effects of which are currently evident and exagerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The idea of the IBT is a good one and has its foundations in making sure that new bikers know what they are doing. The very basis of biking. It works well enough in Europe, the issue wherein Ireland is the RSA been scarcely capable of function and the lack of full-time bike schools to provide proper instruction and support until a learner passes his or her test. Doing IBT squashed into a weekend and in a rushed manner might work for some but not everyone. There is also the naff and I mean naff delays in doing tests. I have no doubt if there was one full-time bike school operating in every country things would be miles better. As it stands the RSA has a list of IBT schools but at any time I would say only half of them or less are still in operation.
    That's my take on the IBT.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Peppa Cig wrote: »

My instructor was of the opinion that the RSA know who has and who hasn't got a valid IBT when it comes to the test. Your IBT instructor has to send a duplicate to them when you complete it

He didn't mention not passing the test... he was talking about IBT's having a limited lifetime... The effects of which are currently evident and exagerated.

But they are directly related.. pass your test, no longer require the IBT cert. In my own opinion if you haven't passed your test within 2 years of doing the IBT, then doing a refresher course with a qualified instructor can only be a good thing!

But as I already said, current circumstances are very different and extensions should be given!

Passed!! Anyone want a lucky high vis??

By the way, those of you recommending Eric Dalton, could not agree more!!

I had two hours of pretest with him this morning and he was so helpful and enthusiastic about helping me out with the couple of errors I had been making.

Congrats

I had two hours of pretest with him this morning and he was so helpful and enthusiastic about helping me out with the couple of errors I had been making.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Well done!! Don't be afraid to post up your experience while it's fresh, it might help others who have the test coming up.

And yeah, Eric is the man. A proper no-BS kinda guy and top class instructor.

Brilliant, now you should definitely go to the offy!

zubair wrote: »
    Brilliant, now you should definitely go to the offy!

The wifey has already gotten supplies in!!

• Advertisement

Well done!! Don't be afraid to post up your experience while it's fresh, it might help others who have the test coming up.

And yeah, Eric is the man. A proper no-BS kinda guy and top class instructor.

The mistakes I was making were shoulder checks. Mostly on take off, I was depending on my mirrors too much. His mantra was the making of me today

Advertisement