Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I like Chris Rea more than Throbbing Gristle, Napalm Death or Nurse With Wound.

100_4190_zps170c6c22.jpg

Ha,ha thats class.Do you have the split Chris Rea/Whitehouse live bootleg?(only joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The most frustrating thing about Foo Fighters is that members of the band were in far more interesting bands before they joined. Dave Grohl was in Nirvana and Scream, Nate Mendel and William Goldsmith were in Sunny Day Real Estate, Pat Smear was in The Germs and Nirvana, and Chris Shiflett was in No Use For a Name. Yet Foo Fighters made bland, safe, radio-friendly rock for the most part despite maybe a decent song here and there.

Supergroups in general are nearly always disappointing. They never amount to the sum of their parts.

You know when you're painting if you mix loads of different colours and you just get brown? Thats Foo Fighters. Incredibly average and boring and I can't understand how some people think they are so amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I like Chris Rea more than Throbbing Gristle, Napalm Death or Nurse With Wound

A fine collection that matches my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

MadYaker wrote: »
    You know when you're painting if you mix loads of different colours and you just get brown? Thats Foo Fighters. Incredibly average and boring and I can't understand how some people think they are so amazing.

Mad Season ftw!

God I miss Layne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

The most frustrating thing about Foo Fighters is that members of the band were in far more interesting bands before they joined. Dave Grohl was in Nirvana and Scream, Nate Mendel and William Goldsmith were in Sunny Day Real Estate, Pat Smear was in The Germs and Nirvana, and Chris Shiflett was in No Use For a Name. Yet Foo Fighters made bland, safe, radio-friendly rock for the most part despite maybe a decent song here and there.

Supergroups in general are nearly always disappointing. They never amount to the sum of their parts.

Would kind of agree with that. I think the Foo Fighters are ok, and Dave Grohl seems a decent sort. If they were on Galstonbury I'd probably have watched. Learn to Fly is a bloody good song. But I don't own any of their albums, nor do I feel the urge to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

The Beatles are legendary as a result of things that they had little to no control over and John Lennon was not a profound as some people like to make out.They bore the fúcking bollox off me

I think Bob Dylan is a fantastic vocalist with a malleable voice and great phrasing(Allow me to justify:it IS a common, popular music opinion that Bob Dylan's voice is bad, whereas I really enjoy his vocal. I enjoy rough,unpolished vocals over clean, disciplined vocal.It just comes down to personal taste.)

Eric Clapton wasn't as great as people would have you believe, the man was never fully at the helm on any project that has amassed him great deal of popularity.His guitar playing was great, but he was horribly lacking as a melodist and songwriter(i.e Duane Allman gave Layla the kick up the arse it needed(Clapton's original intention was to do something more akin to that lumbering MTV unplugged version. Also, Jack Bruce wrote the SOYL riff)

I cannot stand Astral Weeks, I feel Moon Dance to be a much stronger work in all areas.

Modern Rock bands have a clean hue to their music( especially in the sound of the drums ) that removes the reckless abandon that makes rock ROCK.Plus most of them are horrible songwriters that ape and milk the same topics.

Tupac was a walking contradiction without wit or charm and his popularity confounds me, Nas is alot more enjoyable.

People take music too seriously, Frank Zappa took the piss whilst composing with complex instrumentation and melodic lines.

Finally: I hate that people like to give credit to drugs for a certain musicians artistic success, its become a boring cliche thats been attached to popular music since the '60's. No one says that Miles Davis was great from taking heroin. So why attribute musical success to drug use? I think that drugs are given far too much a credit in music, millions of people do drugs, it takes somebody with a certain type of thinking to create good art. So no kids, taking five LSD tabs and four joints will **** up your head before it ****s up your audience that are astounded by your genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The most recent Mastodon albums are fuccking fantastic, and do not represent the band "going to shhit" as so many seem to think.

Some of the best music in the world is being made right here in Ireland, right now, but most people need to be told by the right music press what to like and get up off their holes and attend gigs. Nostalgia is also a killer.

This might not be quite fitting the theme of the thread, maybe a more musician-orientated opinion, but people paying over the odds for "vintage" gear is absolute nonsense. The guitars, amps, etc, being made today using the latest technology are extremely high quality, and probably better overall than the old stuff. Work on your fuccking playing and you might sound like your idol, no amount of buying and complaining is going to make you better or develop your own style. I'm all for having influences but the way some people go on is fuccking moronic.

The most recent Mastodon albums are fuccking fantastic, and do not represent the band "going to shhit" as so many seem to think.

Some of the best music in the world is being made right here in Ireland, right now, but most people need to be told by the right music press what to like and get up off their holes and attend gigs. Nostalgia is also a killer.

This might not be quite fitting the theme of the thread, maybe a more musician-orientated opinion, but people paying over the odds for "vintage" gear is absolute nonsense. The guitars, amps, etc, being made today using the latest technology are extremely high quality, and probably better overall than the old stuff. Work on your fuccking playing and you might sound like your idol, no amount of buying and complaining is going to make you better or develop your own style. I'm all for having influences but the way some people go on is fuccking moronic.

I agree completely there.
    There's far too many musicians going unnoticed in Ireland, the only chance any of them will become even remotely known here is if they garner a following abroad.Most great Irish musicians artists had to leave here in order to get anything done.
    I think Ireland is like the platform for great music, but its always approved elsewhere first.Then its acceptable to like them here.

Nostalgia ****s everything up, its the most obstructing human trait to a musician that really wants to go out and do something original.
    No people, there was in fact great music released before the 1960's and after the 1990's. Just ****ing look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Regarding the vintage gear...I've never ever ever heard a modeling amp or transistor amp that sounds better than tubes.....never...especially live....certainly without paying a fortune

Regarding the vintage gear...I've never ever ever heard a modeling amp or transistor amp that sounds better than tubes.....never...especially live....certainly without paying a fortune

That's different though, that's tube vs transistor. Tube amps are still being made.

All I meant was I think paying a ton of money for an old one versus buying a new one is really silly.

Also I'd be of the opinion that it really depends on the genre. The only time I'd consider a tube amp absolutely essential would be for doom/stoner stuff, where you have to crank it. Other times a good transistor amp will do the job. I've been surprised on many occasions by the tones people were getting from their amps. All it takes is a bit of competence, and like I said, the quality of modern transistor stuff is generally waaaaay higher than old transistor amps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not sure how "unpopular" this is, is there that much hate for the new albums? Thought the latest was a cracker myself.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Unpopular enough I think, seems to be a huuuuuge amount of metalheads saying they sold out, or it wasn't 666 br00t4l enough, or some other nonsense.

Gobshhites, basically.

Unpopular enough I think, seems to be a huuuuuge amount of metalheads saying they sold out, or it wasn't 666 br00t4l enough, or some other nonsense.

Gobshhites, basically.

You get that whenever a band changes stylistic direction.
    Take for example The Clash after their debut or just about any band that doesn't repeat what they've played on the first album or so.
    Metalhead's can be brutal for this, Deafhaven were lambasted all around by quite a good few metalheads who didn't think it was representative of the genre.I didn't enjoy the album as much as other people but still, its quite obvious that it wasn't EXTREEEMEZ enough for some or 2 POpULAR oBVo sellouts Megadeth Iz StiLl Teh Sex!!!11!!. Nearly as bad as punk fans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Japan were the best new Romantic band from the 1980s. It's shocking how they've been forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

One of the greatest metal tracks of all time was the Osmonds - Crazy Horses, I mean can you believe it, the Osmonds a sh1tload of teenybopper sh1te and then they release that, must've shocked the hell out of their puppy loving audience, but the track is such a kick.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

I think the general public have s hit taste in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

One of the greatest metal tracks of all time was the Osmonds - Crazy Horses, I mean can you believe it, the Osmonds a sh1tload of teenybopper sh1te and then they release that, must've shocked the hell out of their puppy loving audience, but the track is such a kick.

What about this, both proto metal and glam:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

The Thrill's Debut album So Much For the City, is one of the greatest Irish albums ever made. I think the fact they are posh guys and the singer sang in a American accent went agaisn't them imo.

Teenage Fanclub were the best band to come from the Creation Records.

Radiohead after Kid A have been living on cruise control. The best work from the band is Jonny Greenwood's Soundtrack work for Paul Thomas Anderson's Films. Also Jonny is far more of a genius then Thom Yorke.

Damon Albarn is the greatest British Musician/Songwriter since David Bowie.

Looper007 wrote: »
    The Thrill's Debut album So Much For the City, is one of the greatest Irish albums ever made. I think the fact they are posh guys and the singer sang in a American accent went agaisn't them imo.

Teenage Fanclub were the best band to come from the Creation Records.

Hated the Thrills. Not so much the fact that they were posh, the singer just had an incredibly irritating voice. Teenage Fanclub on the other hand - probably the best British band of the last 25 years, never mind creation records. In a sane world the success Oasis had would have been theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

trashcan wrote: »
    Hated the Thrills. Not so much the fact that they were posh, the singer just had an incredibly irritating voice. Teenage Fanclub on the other hand - probably the best British band of the last 25 years, never mind creation records. In a sane world the success Oasis had would have been theirs.

I can't listen to the Thrills without thinking of the shrimp from Shark Tale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Teenage Fanclub are legends. Common wisdom says Bandwagonesque is their masterpiece but for me it's 'Grand Prix ' all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ed Sheeran is ****ing awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Florence is terrible, awful stuff, embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Blur is very boring live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Ed Sheeran is ****ing awful.

That's not an unpopular opinion round 'ere😎

Teenage Fanclub are legends. Common wisdom says Bandwagonesque is their masterpiece but for me it's 'Grand Prix ' all the way.

Absolutely. Lots prefer Songs from Northern Britain (which is great too) but Grand Prix is No 1 for me. Sparkys Dream, Going Places, Don't Look Back....I could go on.

In Fact - Don't Look Back - accoustic version. Just lovely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Always thought Teenage Fanclub were copying Irish band Stars of Heaven. That's my unpopular music opinion for today!

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Always thought Teenage Fanclub were copying Irish band Stars of Heaven. That's my unpopular music opinion for today!

Really ? I don't see it. I love the Stars too, my favourite Irish band, but I wouldn't have said TFC sound like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Really ? I don't see it. I love the Stars too, my favourite Irish band, but I wouldn't have said TFC sound like them.

I'd say it's more to do with shared influences. Big Star would be a big influence on both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I saw a review for "Bandwagonesque" when it came out that said (roughly):

"TF have made a great album here, unfortunately that album is "#1 Record" by Big Star" :)

Advertisement