Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Well, that's a pretty narrow idea of what art can be.

Yeah, it might be... I'm still trying to figure it out :pac:

I've just noticed relatively recently, mostly from the kind of discussions I have with my mates that end in disagreement, that 99% I'll enjoy something with innovation, regardless of how 'good' it is. If it's 'good', all the better, but if someone's trying to do something new and interesting, I'll usually be into it right away.
    And, no on what earth is Tom Jones' Delilah on the same level as Strange Fruit? :confused:

That's kinda my point. Guy with really good voice sings song written by someone else != art... Woman with really good voice sings song written by someone else, in a different context == art?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Music loses it's appeal when you analyse is so much. If it sounds good, listen to it and if not, don't. Who cares who wrote it or anything else?

While I would still be inclined to defend the argument against Billie Holiday or Tom Jones as artists, I'd say there is reason to analyse music in whatever way it should be to encourage discussion and debate.

We would not have laptops, flatscreen tv's, games consoles if no one had carefully analysed the technology behind them in the first place.

Innovation only happens when we are willing to break down the knowledge we attain of anything taken for granted (in this case music). You never know the pro's and con's of different categories of information unless you're willing to delve deeper into it and look at it from as many angles as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

ELO are the most unappreciated band ever

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Oasis, Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants was a brave and note worthy departure for the band, while it wasn't commercially successful it was a bloody great album for those of a certain ear. Noel himself stated that he never worked harder on any piece of musical art he produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Oasis, Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants was a brave and note worthy departure for the band, while it wasn't commercially successful it was a bloody great album for those of a certain ear. Noel himself stated that he never worked harder on any piece of musical art he produced.

Gas Panic is Noel's greatest song. Liam's vocal is spine tingling to boot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Temaz wrote: »
    Gas Panic is Noel's greatest song. Liam's vocal is spine tingling to boot!

Talk Tonight is Noels greatest song.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

The best version of Hard to handle was sung by movie star Mae West.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Talk Tonight is Noels greatest song.

The Masterplan is Noels greatest song, its also the greatest bside ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

marwelie wrote: »
    ELO are the most unappreciated band ever

This ^^^

Even after The Beatles split up, Paul and George became very influenced (especially George) by Jeff Lynne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDGY_RyF8GI

Worth a watch for anybody interested. There was the Mr Blue Sky documentary up on Youtube until a few weeks ago which was very good in itself but the BBC must have had it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i've never listened to radiohead (i;ve obviously heard them a lot, tv etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I found Beady Eye's album to be a lot more enjoyable than the NGHFB's album. I think I dismissed Beady Eye's record straight away but I was quite surprised to find it had more variety than Noel's. Noel's album was very much what I expected though enjoyable none the less but overall I found the Beady Eye effort to be a lot more unexpected and therefore exciting.

Some of Pitchfork's reviews are quite hipster.

Perfect example of this is how they rated Coldplay's last two albums better than the first two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 FinDust

Hinterland were the best Irish band no-one's heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

karaokeman wrote: »
    Some of Pitchfork's reviews are quite hipster.

Perfect example of this is how they rated Coldplay's last two albums better than the first two.

I think that's about as popular as opinions get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

FinDust wrote: »
    Hinterland were the best Irish band no-one's heard of.
    I thought Hinterland were Canadian.

I think that's about as popular as opinions get

Out of curiosity, which part are you referring to. The pitchfork statement or the Coldplay part?

If its the part about Pitchfork being hipster, in my experience a lot of people skim away from stating that point because it seems to be a taboo judgement.

I'm a huge Coldplay fan but I thought they never surpassed the first two, Parachutes and AROBTTH had better flow from track to track, more interesting lyrics, and better production. Most people I know and have talked to about Coldplay (fans and non-fans) have also agreed the first two were the best, so I think its pretty unpopular to say Mylo was the best (as Pitchfork did).

I meant the Pitchfork one, I don't really know Coldplay.

I thought Pitchfork was universally considered hipster sillyness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Britney Spears, or at least her team, has an undeniable knack for picking a tune. She's had more undeniably terrific slices of pop than Lady Gaga will ever bother her arse churning out in a million years.

So true! Lady Gaga is truly on the way out at this stage though. I actually feel embarrassed for her when I see how awful her current tour is doing and how badly she's struggling to sell tickets. I was talking to someone who went to a show and she said that the half of the pit was empty and people were scattered around the right-side seats.

The reason she became famous was for her "craziness" and because people were always excited to see what freaky thing she would do next. It's getting old now though. The fact that her second album sold only a third what her first album did despite the fact that she lowered its price to 99c in the US and Canada testifies to her rapidly fading popularity too. Her fame is based on her "shock value" which she is already starting to lack.

Gaga is a fad, Britney is a legend. Britney will never fade out of the spotlight, in fact her last album "Femme Fatale" was he most successful one yet singles-wise. Britney has that quality that Madonna had and that many stars strive for. Alas only a lucky few have it- longevity. She has been out 14 years now and she still is topping the charts with zero promotion, selling out shows she doesn't even bother advertising and even the years she doesn't release music- she remains the centre of attention.

Britney's music videos are the most iconic ones ever, her songs are always brilliantly catchy and producers always claim that she is the best person ever to work with because of how enthusiastic, creative and innovative she is in the studio. Will.i.am even said he was taken aback at how much creative control Britney took when recording "Scream and Shout" and admitted that she made the song what it is.

Britney's hits are timeless genius masterpieces- Baby One More Time, Oops!... I Did It Again, I'm A Slave 4 U, Toxic, Everytime, Gimme More, Piece Of Me, Womanizer, Circus, Hold It Against me, Till The World Ends... I could go on and on :P

In 10 years I'd be surprised if anyone even remembered who Gaga was whereas Britney will still be topping the charts like the legend she is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Geo10 wrote: »
    So true! Lady Gaga is truly on the way out at this stage though. I actually feel embarrassed for her when I see how awful her current tour is doing and how badly she's struggling to sell tickets. I was talking to someone who went to a show and she said that the half of the pit was empty and people were scattered around the right-side seats.

The reason she became famous was for her "craziness" and because people were always excited to see what freaky thing she would do next. It's getting old now though. The fact that her second album sold only a third what her first album did despite the fact that she lowered its price to 99c in the US and Canada testifies to her rapidly fading popularity too. Her fame is based on her "shock value" which she is already starting to lack.

Gaga is a fad, Britney is a legend. Britney will never fade out of the spotlight, in fact her last album "Femme Fatale" was he most successful one yet singles-wise. Britney has that quality that Madonna had and that many stars strive for. Alas only a lucky few have it- longevity. She has been out 14 years now and she still is topping the charts with zero promotion, selling out shows she doesn't even bother advertising and even the years she doesn't release music- she remains the centre of attention.

Britney's music videos are the most iconic ones ever, her songs are always brilliantly catchy and producers always claim that she is the best person ever to work with because of how enthusiastic, creative and innovative she is in the studio. Will.i.am even said he was taken aback at how much creative control Britney took when recording "Scream and Shout" and admitted that she made the song what it is.

Britney's hits are timeless genius masterpieces- Baby One More Time, Oops!... I Did It Again, I'm A Slave 4 U, Toxic, Everytime, Gimme More, Piece Of Me, Womanizer, Circus, Hold It Against me, Till The World Ends... I could go on and on :P

In 10 years I'd be surprised if anyone even remembered who Gaga was whereas Britney will still be topping the charts like the legend she is :D

I don't really understand why Lady Gaga bothers with all the David Bowie and Madonna rip-off theatrics. She has a very good voice and can play an instrument and writes her own material. All the other stuff just distracts from the fact that she actually does have genuine talent. It's completely lost in all the ridiculous costumes and staging and over-production on her music though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Gaga was pushed towards a certain market, a market which has proved fruitful in this current era where it's acceptable to express yourself for who you are and to ignore any ignorant prejudice. She was groomed for this and given a convenient backstory.

It's important for people to realise the difference between the entertainment and music industries though. Gaga is an entertainer, musicians write and play material, they're creative people who express themselves, they're not restrained or guided by anybody.

...Anyway, getting the thread back to a music-related topic, I think 80's punk was far more enjoyable than 70's punk. Bands like The Clash and The Damned was great and everything, but 80's bands like Bad Brains, Minor Threat and Dead Kennedys were seminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Zero1986 wrote: »
    80's bands like Bad Brains, Minor Threat and Dead Kennedys were seminal.

And The Clash weren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Unfortunately we live in a time where musicianship and a good voice will only earn you an average living at best...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Unfortunately we live in a time where musicianship and a good voice will only earn you an average living at best...

I reckon on the whole, music is the most lucrative of artforms in the amount of people who can make a decent living from it.

To be above average you have to be more than that though. What can you create? That is the value in music, your creativity. Creativity does not neccessarily mean super technical proggy **** either, before you think I'm going down that road :D. A "good" voice in the traditional sense is not entirely neccessary for that.

And really, I think we are living in one of the most exciting times for music. Anything is possible, and there are people out there doing such a wide variety of things. We have almost a century of popular music in all it's forms to draw influence from, and it's making for some truly exciting stuff.

rcaz wrote: »
    And The Clash weren't?
    I guess you could call them seminal, but there's a lot of punk and hardcore bands that I'd listen to before them. I certainly recoginse the huge impact they've had but it's all down to musical preference.
    To flip this around, some of the best music ever made was made by bands or artists surviving on thin air. Hell, if you're earning an average living from music you're doing pretty well in my books.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

And really, I think we are living in one of the most exciting times for music. Anything is possible, and there are people out there doing such a wide variety of things. We have almost a century of popular music in all it's forms to draw influence from, and it's making for some truly exciting stuff.

Absolutely agree. Hate when people say music isn't as good as X decade, just aren't looking hard enough imo.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Site Banned Posts: 3 FarmBoxx

Danse society were the best 1980's goth band that no-one's heard of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

To be above average you have to be more than that though. What can you create? That is the value in music, your creativity. Creativity does not neccessarily mean super technical proggy **** either, before you think I'm going down that road :D. A "good" voice in the traditional sense is not entirely neccessary for that.

As a kind of counter to this, Prog is often dismissed as a technical musical **** when people often don't bother even listening to the music.

The neo prog movement is producing some of the most vital music around today.

Advertisement