Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

- Muse are crap.
    Poor mans prog rock.

They are Ok when you realise they are played alongside Nicki Minaj and co. on the radio, but on their own merits they are just not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

MadYaker wrote: »
    The Darkness first album, Permission to Land, was awesome.

It did extremely well. I thought they sucked balls but that's my only mid accepted musical opinion; that I'm always right.

Here's a zinger: Modern pop music presents a far more real threat to western civilization than terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

St Anger by Metallica actually isn't that bad of an album. May not be up there with say Master Of Puppets or Metallica but when bands build up a legacy and are battling against their past you need to give more leeway on their new stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

St Anger by Metallica actually isn't that bad of an album. May not be up there with say Master Of Puppets or Metallica but when bands build up a legacy and are battling against their past you need to give more leeway on their new stuff.
    Forget about legacy, if you compare the album to other albums released in 2003 it puts into perspective how awful it really is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I used to treat Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac with contempt, not really knowing their fab early output. I am now the proud owner of 2 Steely Dan classics and FMac's first eponymous album :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭music producer

old hippy wrote: »
    I used to treat Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac with contempt... :D

Heresy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I much prefer Lindsey Buckingham Fleetwood Mac to the Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Most music fans miss the point of having guilty pleasures.

I say this because I disagree with the view that someone who listens to an artist with a lot of record label backing has flat out no interest in music.

Some people have no guilty pleasures, some only like music that is technically proficient, and that's fine, its just another way everyone is different. I have My Bloody Valentine and Savage Garden on my iPod, and I enjoy listening to both of them.

Heresy.

I did say "used to", mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

- Muse are crap.

So agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

-Reign in Blood + Master of puppets are overrated as hell, only well known and acclaimed because they got mainstream attention.
    -If you haven't grown out of mallcore by age 16, you should be ashamed
    -Black Sabbath's later albums were great. Born Again, Eternal Idol etc.

Can't think of anything more right now, might add more later

I agree with you on master of puppets but reign in blood is a fantastic album, it just happened to get mainstream coverage. It's one of the defining thrash albums although I do prefer hell awaits myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Slipknot are terrible and haven't been relevant in about 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I hate Robbie William's new song. It makes me want to tear my hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Rolling Stones haven't written a good song in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I agree with you on master of puppets but reign in blood is a fantastic album, it just happened to get mainstream coverage. It's one of the defining thrash albums although I do prefer hell awaits myself.
    I have to say ...i don't remember puppets and blood getting any mainstream attention back in the day....they were as underground as it got...

Reign in Blood is given too much credit. It has two tracks, Angel of Death and Raining Blood, and the rest of the album is just filler. There were much heavier, and better albums coming out at the same time and they never got as much attention, e.g Seven Churches, Darkness Descends. Slayer just got lucky at the end of the day, and they had Rick Rubin to boot. I do agree with you on Hell Awaits, thats a much better album, deserves more praise imo.

I have to say ...i don't remember puppets and blood getting any mainstream attention back in the day....they were as underground as it got...
    They've gotten plenty of attention these days at the very least, and I don't think they were as underground as you think. Thrash Metal was popular in the 80s and Slayer, Metallica and Megadeth were at the forefront, despite there being more talented and overall better bands present in the background.

Reign in Blood is given too much credit. It has two tracks, Angel of Death and Raining Blood, and the rest of the album is just filler. There were much heavier, and better albums coming out at the same time and they never got as much attention, e.g Seven Churches, Darkness Descends. Slayer just got lucky at the end of the day, and they had Rick Rubin to boot. I do agree with you on Hell Awaits, thats a much better album, deserves more praise imo.
    I think it's given a little too much credit and there were better thrash metal albums released in the 80's, such as The Legacy by Testament and Dreamweaver by Sabbat. However I don't think it's full of filler as you suggested, 'Angel of Death' and 'Raining Blood' just happen to be the standout tracks but the album as a whole works incredibly well as a cohesive unit rather than just individual tracks. The album is in much the same style as Hell Awaits and Show No Mercy but it's just that Rick Rubin's production strips away the murk and reverb and gives it a bit of a sheen.

I'm actually not that keen on Seven Churches. I recognise the influence Possessed and that album in particular have had on death metal and extreme metal in general, but to me it just sounds a tad dated and a bit repetitive. I'd rather stick on Reign In Blood to be honest.

NIMAN wrote: »

Under Cover of the Night was probably their last decent one and that was, what? 30 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I don't see the attraction in Slipknot. But I like a lot of Stone Sour's songs. Same singer, different styles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

NIMAN wrote: »

Wow so edgy! this is one of the most popular opinions in music....people have been claiming The Stones are past it since about 1975 for Christ sake:rolleyes:

"Animals" is Pink Floyds best album.....now that's an unpopular opinion(and its my genuine one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Wow so edgy! this is one of the most popular opinions in music....people have been claiming The Stones are past it since about 1975 for Christ sake:rolleyes:

And yet people still go to see them live in droves these days.

Their setlist includes very little(if anything?)from after 1981....I presume they play the new song from last year, it makes no difference if these people going to see them in theyre droves think they haven't written a decent song in decades because they play very little from the last few decades anyway so why wouldn't they still go?

Btw I don't agree with this "unpopular" opinion,i liked the last album a lot

"Animals" is Pink Floyds best album.....now that's an unpopular opinion(and its my genuine one)
    I think les claypool agrees with you on pink Floyd!

I think it's given a little too much credit and there were better thrash metal albums released in the 80's, such as The Legacy by Testament and Dreamweaver by Sabbat. However I don't think it's full of filler as you suggested, 'Angel of Death' and 'Raining Blood' just happen to be the standout tracks but the album as a whole works incredibly well as a cohesive unit rather than just individual tracks. The album is in much the same style as Hell Awaits and Show No Mercy but it's just that Rick Rubin's production strips away the murk and reverb and gives it a bit of a sheen.

I'm actually not that keen on Seven Churches. I recognise the influence Possessed and that album in particular have had on death metal and extreme metal in general, but to me it just sounds a tad dated and a bit repetitive. I'd rather stick on Reign In Blood to be honest.

reign in blood is a work of genius, it's probably more punk than metal but nobody has done anything like it.

Just checked their most recent setlist,22 songs,"Doom and Gloom" and "one more shot" from last years greatest hits,a cover of an old blues song and everything else is from 1981 and back,only 5 songs are from after 1975

It would appear even The Stones themselves agree with this argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Not sure how unpopular this is - certainly unpopular with people I know.

Kings of Leon early albums were very average and the later two are complete ****e.

Muse are muck. Misery music.

The Stones (by numbers) are still writing better tunes than pretty much any band around at the moment.

The Stones (by numbers) are still writing better tunes than pretty much any band around at the moment.
    I'd listen to The National any day over The Rolling Stones best material :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Haven't heard a lot of their stuff. What I have heard sounded a bit too Joy Division-esque for my liking, but I'll check them out and report back. :P

• Advertisement

but nobody has done anything like it.
    Seriously?
    1986, same year as Reign in blood

1985 (before Reign in Blood was even released)

etc.

Advertisement