Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Wow so edgy! this is one of the most popular opinions in music....people have been claiming The Stones are past it since about 1975 for Christ sake:rolleyes:

I think they released their best LP in 1978 [Some Girls]. They were also top of their live game then too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I never got the whole hype with Oasis....don't think I ever will either....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The National are incredibly boring. How do I not hear this more often?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Kold wrote: »
    The National are incredibly boring. How do I not hear this more often?

I thought that until a mate of mine made me buy "Boxer".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

As I suspected, The National are dour rubbish. Music to cure insomnia.

Give me some rock n' roll any day. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Nick cave and the bad seeds are truly awful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think Kanye West is possibly the greatest musician to emerge in the past decade.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Blisterman wrote: »
    I think Kanye West is possibly the greatest musician to emerge in the past decade.

Not a very unpopular opinion, plenty agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Nick cave and the bad seeds are truly awful!!

I wouldn't go as far as saying this, but nothing since the Boatman's Call has excited me much and I'd rather see a Grinderman show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I think the Red Hot Chili Peppers are the most original, exciting and fun band to listen to ever. I think every song in Stadium Arcadium is good if not great. They did not put one bad song in that album and every new song you listen to by them, you're hit with something new and completely original. I think they are sickly under-rated these days. All of that said, they ruined their rep with me with their latest album.

U2 have loads of great songs. I take pride in that they are irish despite the popular trend irish people have of hating them. I dont care for Bono, but I like his melodies.

I think every pop rock band with that really american sound to them such as Blink182 and Bowling for soup do not deserve their popularity. I cant understand how people enjoy listening to their music.

Led Zeppelin were only good because of their drummer, Bonham. I think his drum sound is the only thing that made Zep more appealing than any of the other bands from that era. The music and vocals were nothing special.

The Beatles were not overrated. They revolutionised music and in a good way, with amazingly original songs for the time. I think we take that for granted now.

Rolling Stones were not good.

• Advertisement

I left the most important opinion of mine out in my last post:

Macklemore has 2 good songs. Ryan Lewis is a good composer. Macklemore has no talent.

Most original, most fun and most exciting? I actually don't think you think that. Unless you've only heard like... ten bands.. and they're all terrible. It's forgivable maybe to believe one of those statements but I genuinely don't believe that you believe all 3 of those statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm sure this was mentioned before, but Mumford and Sons are so bad I actually cringe when they come on the radio.
    How the hell can anyone like that shíte is beyond me. They seem to have a lot of fans online, so I might get flamed. But jasus, they're bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

FatRat wrote: »
    U2 have loads of great songs. I take pride in that they are irish despite the popular trend irish people have of hating them. I dont care for Bono, but I like his melodies.
    They have a small handful of songs that I like but otherwise I find them very nauseating. I will admit that one of the main reasons I dislike them is because of Bono. Not only is he a complete muppet (and I don't like having to be told by a multi-millionaire to donate money to the poor), but the sound of his voice just generally irritates me. Despite that I actually think The Edge is a good enough guitarist.

Another reason why I just don't care about them is because even in the early to mid 80's when they released their better material, there were far more enjoyable, interesting and original bands around like The Cure, The Chameleons, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Sound and The Fall for example, so even my interest in early U2 material comes way down the pecking order. I don't think there's really that much of a trend to hate U2, that only implies that people can't find a good enough reason to hate them. There's people out there both Irish and non-Irish who can find many, many reasons to genuinely hate U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They have a small handful of songs that I like but otherwise I find them very nauseating. I will admit that one of the main reasons I dislike them is because of Bono. Not only is he a complete muppet (and I don't like having to be told by a multi-millionaire to donate money to the poor), but the sound of his voice just generally irritates me. Despite that I actually think The Edge is a good enough guitarist.

Another reason why I just don't care about them is because even in the early to mid 80's when they released their better material, there were far more enjoyable, interesting and original bands around like The Cure, The Chameleons, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Sound and The Fall for example, so even my interest in early U2 material comes way down the pecking order. I don't think there's really that much of a trend to hate U2, that only implies that people can't find a good enough reason to hate them. There's people out there both Irish and non-Irish who can find many, many reasons to genuinely hate U2.
    I'm a huge fan of the british post punk era and there is no doubt U2 were in there amongst some really great bands, bands who lived and died by the sword! However ....U2 had Bono, and if you look back over the early late late show interviews it's apparent that Bono had the road map to greatness from a young age...stay away from drugs, mix with the right people have decent songs, be seen to be involved with charity and politicians...and that (along with some great tunes) assured their legacy whilst other bands got lost and vanished..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'm a huge fan of the british post punk era and there is no doubt U2 were in there amongst some really great bands, bands who lived and died by the sword! However ....U2 had Bono, and if you look back over the early late late show interviews it's apparent that Bono had the road map to greatness from a young age...stay away from drugs, mix with the right people have decent songs, be seen to be involved with charity and politicians...and that (along with some great tunes) assured their legacy whilst other bands got lost and vanished..

Hmm. I get what you're saying but longevity does not always mean quality output.

I don't mind them; I've seen them 3 times - Croke Park '86, Self Aid '86(?) and Live8 '05. All enjoyable but IMHO, the last time I found them to be in any way essential was during the experimental and under rated Passengers phase. And crikey, how long ago was that? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

I think it's more popular to dislike Bono, rather than disliking U2. I think most people take pride in the band's success. Bono on the other hand...
    The Beatles were not overrated. They revolutionised music and in a good way, with amazingly original songs for the time. I think we take that for granted now.

Songs like "Baby you can drive my car" which included such revolutionary lyrics like "beep beep, beep beep, yeah!" are the reason why the Beatles are overrated. It's cheesy pop 'love me, love me, love me' boyband shíte. Influential is not the same as great

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

U2's last good album was Rattle and Hum. Achtung Baby is the most over rated album of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Songs like "Baby you can drive my car" which included such revolutionary lyrics like "beep beep, beep beep, yeah!" are the reason why the Beatles are overrated. It's cheesy pop 'love me, love me, love me' boyband shíte. Influential is not the same as great

Yes, one repeated word is all that is needed to condemn a band. A Day in the Life, Tomorrow Never Knows, Eleanor Rigby, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Yesterday, Strawberry Fields Forever, Hey Jude, the Abbey Road medley... get them into your gullet and drop those misconceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Yes, one repeated word is all that is needed to condemn a band. A Day in the Life, Tomorrow Never Knows, Eleanor Rigby, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Yesterday, Strawberry Fields Forever, Hey Jude, the Abbey Road medley... get them into your gullet and drop those misconceptions.

I didn't say they had no good songs. They do. But what I was saying was that they had very cheesy boy band songs which people seem to overlook when calling them great.

I was forcefed the Beatles when I was young so I've heard plenty of the cheesy type of songs.

Anyway, it's my opinion and I think they're overrated. Fwiw I think Pink Floyd are the best band ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I didn't say they had no good songs. They do. But what I was saying was that they had very cheesy boy band songs which people seem to overlook when calling them great.

I was forcefed the Beatles when I was young so I've heard plenty of the cheesy type of songs.

Anyway, it's my opinion and I think they're overrated. Fwiw I think Pink Floyd are the best band ever

I wouldn't overlook that aspect of them at all and for me it adds to the legend of the band. They went from releasing Love Me Do to recording A Day in the Life in 4 and a half years, completely revolutionising people's expectations of what bands should do or what albums should represent in the process. And even with their poppier beginnings there is no denying that they had a natural flair for songwriting which helps their more gauche recordings to stand the test of time.

Those boyband songs were a stepping stone for other bands to become like them. Their influence on music is whats overlooked. They brought a sound no other band could at the time. Even the cheesy songs brought with them originality and influence. They revolutionised music, I believe they did anyway.

As for my comments on the chili peppers... Theres no other way of putting it , I genuinely think they are gods gift to music.... well maybe thats stretching it a bit haha But listening to their music is addictive and I'm surprised so few people are sucked in by their sound and music. But maybe I do need my head checked or something I dunno :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's called evolution. I mean, if they had come out with something like "A Day In The Life" on their first album, I think they may have been a mere footnote in the history of music.

They progressed and went far the **** out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

smokedeels wrote: »
    I wouldn't go as far as saying this, but nothing since the Boatman's Call has excited me much and I'd rather see a Grinderman show.

Have you heard "Abbatoir Blues" or "DIG!!!LAZARUS!!!DIG!!!"?

They excited me anyway. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

As for my comments on the chili peppers... Theres no other way of putting it , I genuinely think they are gods gift to music....
    Oh dear God you poor fella. Here sit down, have a blanket and a hot whiskey :)

RHCP were decent enough up until BSSM but give me Faith No More over the Chilis any day. While the RHCP were always the bigger band I think FNM pushed musical boundaries more and had more influence. Some people view Nevermind by Nirvana as the album that killed off hair metal, to me it was The Real Thing by FNM two years earlier.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

“I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the **** is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers." - Nick Cave

"I don't care if Nick Cave hates my band because his music means everything to me because he is one of my favorite songwriters and singers and musicians of all time and I love all the incarnations of the Bad Seeds.

"But it only hurt my feelings for a second because my love is bigger than all that s**t and if he thinks my band is lame that's OK." - Flea

Does anyone know how much influence Flea has in Atoms for Peace? It's seemingly just a Thom Yorke project from hearing alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Kold wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much influence Flea has in Atoms for Peace? It's seemingly just a Thom Yorke project from hearing alone.

Sure Amok was just The Eraser part 2, I thought anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭gigantic09

'The View' are one of the best,if not the best british bands to emerge in the last 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

gigantic09 wrote: »
    'The View' are one of the best,if not the best british bands to emerge in the last 10 years.

Found out recently they have a greatest hits out. Couldn't believe it.

I'd liken it to Katie Price bringing out a new autobiography about her life every 2 years.

Advertisement