Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

120km today with 1900m of climbing. Comfortably my longest and toughest day in the saddle, but boy what a gorgeous day for it. Feel less anxious about Orwell Randonee now, but I am shattered now. Left at 8.10, home at 14.30. 5hr 45m rolling time.

Took in Knockmaroon, Somerton, Tinkers Hill, Athgoe, hill near Kilteel, Bohernabreena, Sally Gap and then home via a detour on Cruagh Lane.

Got to say I loved the camaraderie, the scenery and the quiche in Glencree. I can see how you're all addicts. I have been bitten by the bug now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Got 103km in today. Cold enough in Mayo. I was back in my bib tights now that the summer is over!! I got sun, wind, rain and hailstones. Basically everything but snow! The hailstones hurt!

http://app.strava.com/activities/292875608

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was out for a 54km spin - longest so far this year by about 20km, and first time out after hurting my knee due to lowering my saddle. i was blessed with the weather, it was a real cycling between the raindrops situation, with thunderous looking clouds all around except above me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I headed out at 8:30 which is early by my standards but I needed to be home around noon to get a shower, feed and the bus into town followed by a 3km stroll to Croke Park to watch the Dubs in the league final.

I decided to keep things flat today so I headed into Chapelizod, up Knockmaroon Hill and went to Lucan via the Strawberry Beds. From Lucan I went Clonee, Ratoath, Ashbourne, Swords and back home through Dublin City.

It was chilly enough as I set out but it did get warmer in the lovely sunshine. It was an uneventful spin but I was glad to get it done.

75km, 235m @ 25.1km/h. Dublin 1-21, Cork 2-7. Happy out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Was over in the mid west so managed to get a cycle in in relatively unfamiliar territory - been there once or twice. Cycled along Clare side of Lough Derg - 41.8 km at 26.2 kmh. Beautiful weather, was expecting it to be freezing. The road surface from Killaloe to Obriensbridge is a dream - if only all cycle surfaces were like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I had planned a 100k route for yesterday as a test to see if I'm in any shape for the Orwell Randonee next week. I then decided that the best preparation for this spin was to play my first rugby match in about a year the night before! suffice to say I woke up Saturday morning feeling like I'd been hit by a bus and a lot of "roadrash" from a sandy pitch, but at least I had a excuse not to go out in that ****e weather now.

Feeling a little less banjaxed this morning I still had to mull over whether I had the motivation to go out on what for me would be a very tough route with a still aching body. Decided that while I might regret not going out, I definitely wouldn't regret going out so with that got myself sorted and out on the road. Stocking lane/military road to sally gap, down to Laragh and over the Wicklow gap, back via the Lacken side of the lakes with butter mountain and seskin (the easy side) thrown in at the end. 103km with 1700m in 4:37, I thought my legs were gone as I approached valleymount but a bit of food and water and I was grand again.

I was thinking everyone else was over dressed for the day in their tights and winter attire but once I got onto the decent of the Wicklow Gap I was cold for the rest of the ride, especially the legs, as there was a stiff enough cold headwind for the rest of the way.

Also a thanks to the lad who gave me a bit of encouragement as I was near the top of Wicklow Gap. As I'd never done it before I was wary that what I thought was the top would mock me with another hill once I'd reached that corner but when I mentioned to him that it was my first time up he said that is the top and it's only about 1k to go. Was exactly what I needed to hear as while the body was doing ok, the mind was beginning to raise white flags.

Still not sure if I've the fitness for an extra 50k and 500m of climbing but it's a little less daunting now. Will make a call on it during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Good work, Crocked. Sounds like you're in a similar boat to me. Just remember if it were easy, every dog and divil would be doing it. And you wouldn't get the sense of achievement when you do it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Got as far as Bunclody, and my back/neck was properly tired. Rather sick of the now busy, narrow road between Enniscorthy and Bunclody.

I do a spin from Dublin to south Wexford quite regularly taking in Bunclody, but the N11 and Enniscorthy would be a route I'd tend to avoid. I tend to go Rathfarnham, Enniskerry (or Sallygap) Laragh, Rathdrum, Aughrim, Tinahely, Shillelagh, Clonegal, Bunclody, or sometimes Carnew or Coolattin. Slightly longer and smaller roads than the N roads, but lots of nice villages, countryside and minimal traffic which for me makes the time fly and the spin much more enjoyable. Even going Enniscorthy-Bunclody I'd always go the road on the far side of the river coming out the long hill at Bradys cross rather than the N80 which is a pretty hateful road IMO. Going Dublin to Carlow town, I'd probably go the Aughrim Hacketstown route which is also very pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Cycled to work (Lackagh to Parkmore Business Park East, Galway) for 1st time in about 9 months. Got a puncture on the way home....
    Going to order Schwalbe Marathon tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Crocked wrote: »
    I had planned a 100k route for yesterday as a test to see if I'm in any shape for the Orwell Randonee next week. I then decided that the best preparation for this spin was to play my first rugby match in about a year the night before! suffice to say I woke up Saturday morning feeling like I'd been hit by a bus and a lot of "roadrash" from a sandy pitch, but at least I had a excuse not to go out in that ****e weather now.

Feeling a little less banjaxed this morning I still had to mull over whether I had the motivation to go out on what for me would be a very tough route with a still aching body. Decided that while I might regret not going out, I definitely wouldn't regret going out so with that got myself sorted and out on the road. Stocking lane/military road to sally gap, down to Laragh and over the Wicklow gap, back via the Lacken side of the lakes with butter mountain and seskin (the easy side) thrown in at the end. 103km with 1700m in 4:37, I thought my legs were gone as I approached valleymount but a bit of food and water and I was grand again.

I was thinking everyone else was over dressed for the day in their tights and winter attire but once I got onto the decent of the Wicklow Gap I was cold for the rest of the ride, especially the legs, as there was a stiff enough cold headwind for the rest of the way.

Also a thanks to the lad who gave me a bit of encouragement as I was near the top of Wicklow Gap. As I'd never done it before I was wary that what I thought was the top would mock me with another hill once I'd reached that corner but when I mentioned to him that it was my first time up he said that is the top and it's only about 1k to go. Was exactly what I needed to hear as while the body was doing ok, the mind was beginning to raise white flags.

Still not sure if I've the fitness for an extra 50k and 500m of climbing but it's a little less daunting now. Will make a call on it during the week

Its all in the head. Keep the legs spinning and you,ll be grand. You wont be the only 1 suffering

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

smacl wrote: »
    I do a spin from Dublin to south Wexford quite regularly taking in Bunclody, but the N11 and Enniscorthy would be a route I'd tend to avoid. I tend to go Rathfarnham, Enniskerry (or Sallygap) Laragh, Rathdrum, Aughrim, Tinahely, Shillelagh, Clonegal, Bunclody, or sometimes Carnew or Coolattin. Slightly longer and smaller roads than the N roads, but lots of nice villages, countryside and minimal traffic which for me makes the time fly and the spin much more enjoyable. Even going Enniscorthy-Bunclody I'd always go the road on the far side of the river coming out the long hill at Bradys cross rather than the N80 which is a pretty hateful road IMO. Going Dublin to Carlow town, I'd probably go the Aughrim Hacketstown route which is also very pleasant.

Thanks for that, I didn't know about that road on the other side of river :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Crocked wrote: »

go for it! the buzz you will get when you have done it will far outweigh any apprehensions prior to doing it & the pain while you are doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Thanks lads for the encouragement, decided this morning to just give it a lash, sure what's the worst that can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I thought after this that my tingling toes were gone, but no :(

Today on my cycle I had tingling & numb toes & fingers thanks to the wind; damn-blasted hail-stones and subsequent rain.
    Didn't know if the pain experienced was from the ice pelting down off me as I cycled against the wind or from me beating a time I done last-year on the route I cycled today.

Don't know when I last arrived home cold & wet with the bike filthy but feeling all refreshed & energetic after a tough, but lovely cycle this afternoon in the hail, rain & wind. It was fun!

Gotta Love Cycling,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fecking Arctic blast was a killer today, where did that come from? Pelted with hailstones from Carrickmines to Enniskerry aswell and all I was wearing was an Aldi running tshirt, it was warm when I left Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Couldn't get out of the house so had to endure the Sufferfest Violator. By christ I'm unfit.

Screenshot_2015-04-26-18-34-43_zpssiksfsvs.png
    20150426_181850_zpshg2tmgn8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Doing hills, a lot. A strange torture, that I like.

It's like "training"

Over the moon to have passed half the Strava climbing challenge this month :D

4,500 meters for a month.

wHoop! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I finally got back into action this weekend with 60km and 500 or so metres climbed. I was horrendously slow although my bike handling and confidence have grown.

Was very happy to have been out despite my crapness. (An early highlight was some English chap surging past me up Cruagh while exclaiming 'this faaaaacking hill just doesn't stop!').

Kept it rolling yesterday despite the insomnia monster with a 6am start for the Cruagh-Stocking lane loop.

Did another jaunt to the park this morning and took the 'scenic' route back from class via the park where I discovered that my GPS hadn't been recording since Abbey street :(

still miles are miles. Hope to do more after work adventuring once I get Wolfgang Beaterson back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Went for my first spin in really bad weather, some torrential rain for most of the 30km that we settled on doing,

my overshoes kept the water out for the first 20k, then there was puddles in my shoes, I presume the water came in from below, was soaked up as far as my waist, might have to look at getting better bib tights for the rain, but my upper body was mostly dry, the Gabba is a serious bit of kit, first time wearing it in the rain, and the only for water soaking up the shoulder straps of my bibs, I would have been total dry, should have gotten the long sleave one, the nanoflex arm warmers werent great, they let the cold in, and eventually the water.

All in all, I really enjoyed the spin in the rain, as the guy I was with mentioned, its like when you were a kid playing in the rain, you didnt care if you got wet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Coleraine to Malin Head to Derry. 133k, 1k climbing.

Nasty conditions, big headwind for most of the day, raining heavily for afternoon leg. Thankfully had a partner so we were looking out for each other. My 'winter' gloves not worth a damn when wet, fingers went through various stages of numbness and pins and needles, stopped for a wee while to warm them a bit (wondered if possible to get frostbite from wind & rain, but they're fine now).

Very tired but not sore so happy out.

YBvdgUMl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Nothing in the legs this morning crawled up through Edmonstown then took the weak person's escape chute through Whitechurch and back through Rathfarnham.

Think I over did it on Commutourer last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You can get our absolution, but there are no excuses with your inner self. Think about it the next time, you blatant rule#5 evader.

See you at the viewing point!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Trojan wrote: »
    Coleraine to Malin Head to Derry. 133k, 1k climbing.

I get the feeling that's a CAS spin. Well done Trojan. Next year, I hope to do it entirely. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

First day back on the bike after doing my collar bone in. I'm unfit as hell and suffered. On the plus side I finally got to cycle my new bike. I'm finding it hard to get on with the new saddle at the moment so I might splash out on something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Went out to get some climbing in before saturday. Ticknock,kilmashouge,cruagh,stocking lane then over to glencullen and up burrow road followed by ticknock for a second time.
    Had sleet and hail a couple of times so Saturday could be interesting as I didn't even go as far as sally gap. Descending was a nightmare and brought my average speed right down and there was a nasty head wind up the climbs.
    72km,1665 metres climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/294794779

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I admire your will to suffer.

(So many PRs on such a difficult route! Awesome.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Alek wrote: »
    I admire your will to suffer.

(So many PRs on such a difficult route! Awesome.)

Thanks, looks like all them horrible commutes to work and lunch time spins in the winter have paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Boscoirl wrote: »
    .....then there was puddles in my shoes...

I hate the rain. I won't go out in it. That said, If I am out and get caught in the rain, once I get the puddles in my shoes then I don't care anymore and I carry on. It's a turning point for me.

I still hate the rain (as it lashes down outside at the moment). I placed an order on Wiggle to make me feel better. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

My weeky spin to Howth was disrupted today, not the spin but my attempt at a PR up the hill. From the Sutton side just past the golf club there was roadworks, managed to get through this with a few seconds delay as I timed the lights well, then on the drag up to the summit there was another set of works, bigger this time as they are digging up and resurfacing the road. It was like pave on the unfinished surface and I mistimed the flow this time. There was no fun in coming back up from the harbour and trying to descend through those works again so I missed 5k distance and finished with 95k! D'oh. Bright side is the new surface looks loverly and the coffee in Portmarnock is top notch. Nice day although breezy on the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Luxman wrote: »
    My weeky spin to Howth was disrupted today, not the spin but my attempt at a PR up the hill. From the Sutton side just past the golf club there was roadworks, managed to get through this with a few seconds delay as I timed the lights well, then on the drag up to the summit there was another set of works, bigger this time as they are digging up and resurfacing the road. It was like pave on the unfinished surface and I mistimed the flow this time. There was no fun in coming back up from the harbour and trying to descend through those works again so I missed 5k distance and finished with 95k! D'oh. Bright side is the new surface looks loverly and the coffee in Portmarnock is top notch. Nice day although breezy on the way home.

If your going up again take a right at the summit and follow the road down as far as the T junction at the GAA club and go right it,ll bring you out down from the field with the donkeys or if your feeling brave just go straight down and you,ll end up on the other side of the church

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement