Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

A great weekend to be on the bike, like a few others the easterly wind was "challenging" but it's all for the best. We headed towards Macroom onto crossbarry, Bandon and back to Cork. Around 80 Kms in 2 and a half hours. Bit of a tan from the sun and the wind and plenty of others out enjoying the sunny days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I headed out early (for me) this morning. It was quite chilly out. Off I went out the N81, around Blessington Lakes, up the Wicklow Gap then down to Laragh. From there I went up Sally Gap and back down in the Manor Kilbride direction. I took a right and went over the firing range and from there down Dowery and out to Blessington again. I came home via Manor Kilbride and Saggart.

134km, 1,459m @ 21.7km/h thanks to the damn annoying Easterly wind. Longest spin, most elevation and longest time to date. I'll take that despite the slow(ish) average.

Then I went out for grub with the family. When I get home I discover that my front tyre is flat. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

crosstownk wrote: »
    I headed out early (for me) this morning. It was quite chilly out. Off I went out the N81, around Blessington Lakes, up the Wicklow Gap then down to Laragh. From there I went up Sally Gap and back down in the Manor Kilbride direction. I took a right and went over the firing range and from there down Dowery and out to Blessington again. I came home via Manor Kilbride and Saggart.

134km, 1,459m @ 21.7km/h thanks to the damn annoying Easterly wind. Longest spin, most elevation and longest time to date. I'll take that despite the slow(ish) average.

Then I went out for grub with the family. When I get home I discover that my front tyre is flat. :confused:

Well done, that's not slow for what you did mate, know those routes well, plenty of climbing and any wind can be murder. Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Mick Byrne Randonee route. 225km 3,800m of climbing. A very long day in the saddle. I'll add in the strava link later.

https://app.strava.com/activities/288855806

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Mick Byrne Randonee route. 225km 3,800m of climbing. A very long day in the saddle. I'll add in the strava link later.

You win the cycling interwebs today!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What a morning for a cycle. This time of the year is a great time for early morning cycling. Sun coming up along the coast line. Pity I forgot my Virb this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Reckon it's warm enough for short sleeves out there? Tempted to hit the coast if I can get through my morning work pretty lively.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

OldBean wrote: »
    Reckon it's warm enough for short sleeves out there? Tempted to hit the coast if I can get through my morning work pretty lively.

Not until the sun shines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

went out saturday morning the wind was a cu next tuesday, maynooth>leixlip>celbridge>leixlip>maynooth, my strava passed away on me after 30 yards so no bits & pieces, struggled out to leixlip but on the way home flew along. happy wee chappie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Actually it was yesterday but..... i got on the road bike for a 40k spin after a 2 year hiatus. I am still buzzing today!

Man it felt great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Yesterday I went out with just two layers and I was way too cold.

Exacerbated by waiting at the top of hills for one of the lads.

I did 85km (1050m climbing) including the tough hill in Kilteel and the Sally Gap from Manor Kilbride. We intended to do a few laps of Cruagh / Stocking before the return to De Northside, but one of the lads was in bits.

Getting worried about the Orwell Randonnee now. Signed up for that and WW200. I know if I do the former I will be fine for the latter but next Sunday is my last chance to go over 100km+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

D9Male wrote: »
    Yesterday I went out with just two layers and I was way too cold.

Exacerbated by waiting at the top of hills for one of the lads.

I did 85km (1050m climbing) including the tough hill in Kilteel and the Sally Gap from Manor Kilbride. We intended to do a few laps of Cruagh / Stocking before the return to De Northside, but one of the lads was in bits.

Getting worried about the Orwell Randonnee now. Signed up for that and WW200. I know if I do the former I will be fine for the latter but next Sunday is my last chance to go over 100km+.
    this "one of the lads" sounds like quite the liability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Yeah, he drew up a nice 120km route that had us salivating, but he was in ribbons after 40km. Waiting on the Sally Gap dressed for the beach was no craic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good weekend, my best in a good few years. I had a physio loosen me out Friday so was hoping to get around without discomfort.

Went out at 7am on Saturday morning, wasn't sure what route, just played it by ear.
    Clicked up 102km @ 26.7 kmph avg so was delighted to get that into the legs, felt at around 85%, at 70km in the hip started to tighten but stretched it on the bike. Took in Leeaun, gorgeous to say the least

Went out late yesterday, 5.30pm, calves were tight, so the idea was to spin, heading into the headwind for the first 10km, then I had it on my arse for the next 20km and on my side for the last 15km. So 45km clicked up at nearly 31kmph avg. So much for spinning!

Went for a 6km walk this morning at 5.30am to loosen out.

My 1st race in 2 years + on Wednesday, the adrenalin is kicking in already. Not sure what group I will be in as the club will decide on that, I should be in the last group due to lack of races and continual training, but I suspect I will be in group 3 (of 4).
    40km route, out and back. I don't know how it will go, if it goes well (as in no pain) I will be looking to finish in the group and who knows what will happen in the last few KM.
    If the pain kicks in (which is happening at high speed, low cadence) then I will be in bother within 20km. If we get people hiding in the group then the chances are high that I will get into trouble as I just can't get over the need to drag the group on, I can't handle sitting back.
    So maybe I need to burn off a few of them if I can get a few more to help out. I am too heavy to win a hill sprint. Anyone any thoughts on a good tactic appreciated!

And this weather, wow, its class

42km to Howth, up and back. Nasty aul headwind on the way out. First cycle with some new tyres, not a patch on the Panaracer Pasela tyres I'd on it before, felt a lot more sluggish and disconnected, but can't really justify another new set of tyres...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Tried to kill two birds with the one stone today- Car NCT and Bike fit. Had the fitting booked for 3 and the NCT for 4:30.
    Fitter didn't show up, he forgot and headed away for the day so that was that part of the afternoon bolloxed.
    Dropped the car up to the NCT center an hour early and told them I was heading for a spin, I'd be back for the car afterwards.
    Spun off out the road from Mullingar, heading for Castlepollard, turned right before Crookedwood heading for Kilucan and turned back towards town again shortly afterwards. Lovely warm afternoon, light breeze. Not much traffic and fairly smooth roads.... all in all a grand wee spin.
    25.1km in 50;47 @ 30.1kmh.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/289195590
    My car is a heap of shíte. It's on its 3rd retest for its 2014 cert.
    The NCT is up so long that it's due for this years test in 2 weeks nevermind last years one. The gearbox has started to go as well, 5th gear keeps popping into neutral so I've taken to leaving early and driving in 4th. It's not going to make it much longer . It even has a silver fuel filler cover to contrast the bottle green colour of the car itself.
    But somehow it passed its test.
    Not just that but seeing as it was longer than 4 weeks between booking and getting the test done I got it for free. And seeing as this years test is due in 2 weeks, I'm covered for the year on this test too.
    Ya little beaut.
    So if you know anyone looking to buy a 14 year old Almera with a full years NCT up to april 2016 PM me.
    Might swap it for a bike fit
    :pac:

Daroxtar wrote: »
    The gearbox has started to go as well, 5th gear keeps popping into neutral so I've taken to leaving early and driving in 4th. It's not going to make it much longer .

Turn the barrel adjuster a quarter of a turn.

Sorted.

:D

Daroxtar wrote: »
    My car is a heap of shíte. It's on its 3rd retest for its 2014 cert.
    The NCT is up so long that it's due for this years test in 2 weeks nevermind last years one. :

Haha, superb. Gave me a right laugh that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

45 km this evening , nice handy spin but nearly taken out of it by a lorry overtaking stupidly

Amazing day out, first day in shorts and short sleeves, and didn't feel a chill once.

50km out to Howth, back into Phoenix park for a loop and home.

Had a really strange encounter descending Howth on the village side. I wasn't descending particularly fast as I'm not a fan of flying into the village, and as I came up to the fence where the donkeys usually hang out (!) an old chap in a white 151 Skoda pulled out in front of me, then paced himself at about 25km/h. I tried filtering past him on both sides of the road, and he moved the car in/out to stop me, and continued the whole way down, including randomly braking. When we got to the bottom of the hill, where it comes out on the harbour, his window was down and he started spouting the usual BIKE WANKER, danger to society, road tax sh*te, along with how he was fed up with cyclists taking over the village. Then he swung round and went back up the hill, no doubt to do it again.

Mentioned it to some Gardai, but they weren't particularly worried. Don't know how he could have been concentrating on the road in front of him if he spent the whole journey down trying to block me off.

Anyone else encounter him?

But apart from that, seriously lovely day out.

• Advertisement

OldBean wrote: »
    Amazing day out, first day in shorts and short sleeves, and didn't feel a chill once.

I'd the opposite.

I was out of the office on business and things got cut short so I went under the radar and headed home for the bike. It was warm and the car was indicating 17 degrees C.

So I donned the summer gear and left home for Blesssington in shorts and jersey. I knew that the wind was at my back on the way out. I was a happy bunny all the way out in the sunshine.

When I turned for home at the bridge at Blessington the wind was strong enough. I was quite cold descending the Embankment and I could feel the chilly wind in my face all the home on the Tallaght Bypass. It would have been 1830h or so. I was quite cold.

Nothing a hot shower couldn't fix.

51km, 336m @ 24.5km/h.

EDIT: There was a lot of Garda activity around Manor Kilbride for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

That big bright shiny thing in the sky called the Sun?

It lies.

It was bleedin' freezin out this evening, when the big "lying its ass off" globe of molton lava thing wasn't directly shining on you.

I, for one, shall be wearing arm and leg warmers until summer is here.

The Sun may not be made of molten lava.

It looks like it is.

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'd the opposite.

I was out of the office on business and things got cut short so I went under the radar and headed home for the bike. It was warm and the car was indicating 17 degrees C.

So I donned the summer gear and left home for Blesssington in shorts and jersey. I knew that the wind was at my back on the way out. I was a happy bunny all the way out in the sunshine.

When I turned for home at the bridge at Blessington the wind was strong enough. I was quite cold descending the Embankment and I could feel the chilly wind in my face all the home on the Tallaght Bypass. It would have been 1830h or so. I was quite cold.

Nothing a hot shower couldn't fix.

51km, 336m @ 24.5km/h.

EDIT: There was a lot of Garda activity around Manor Kilbride for some reason.

I cycled up to Sally Gap via viewpoint, just under 26k to get there. 30k back via Manor Kilbride out onto the Blessington Road, and like yourself I was in a short sleeve top, tho had long bottoms under my cycling shorts. I was coming down past the Embankment after 8pm and it hadn't got any warmer! brrrrrr!

I reckon I've a bit more.. insulation.. Than you guys, so.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

A loop from Templemore to borrisoleigh, then toomyvara, roscrea and back.

It was obviously a bit warmer down here than on the east coast, it was the first spin in shorts this year and had to take arm warmers off after half an hour.

68.08, 30.9 avg, 328 gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Decided on a whim to venture on to new roads today. Left at 3 pm from Rathfarnham. Out to Enniskerry, turned right towards Glencree and home via the military road. Usually when I venture that way, I don't go anywhere higher than Cruagh/viewing point, so it was nice to see some new roads.
    The road out of Enniskerry towards Glencree though. **** me. Crawled up it in 39x28. rest of that road is lovely though.

38.8k. 19.8 average. 635m

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Keenagh Loop (low road option), 48.29km, 18.3km/h average.

The route is Newport (Co. Mayo) - Glenhest - Keenagh - Letterkeen - Shramore - Newport. It's a fabulous route, particularly on a day like today with clear skies.

I do this a couple of times a month. After Shramore there's an option to follow the main road (low road) or take a left up the high road for a serious dig. Today I chose the path more followed.

Hit a max of 76km/h on the downhill after Keenagh, riding the brakes a lot toward the end. I don't think much higher is possible given the bad surface, gravel, and sheep beside the road, but I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Quick leg loosener ahead of the skoda tour of wicklow on Saturday. I was still stiffish from yesterday's spin.

40k around North tipp in fantastic sunshine in proper summer atire this evening. If only the weather was like this until October!

Average of 30.7 on flat roads.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Club spin, I went with the racers and got on better than I thought. Some efforts, a 10 min warm up and then a 10 min speed up and over, went out on the first 20km at around 37.5kmph avg, I was well burnt. Hit a new top HR at 192 (meant to be 181) :D
    So all in I did a 40km spin with the race team, 34.5kmph avg, got me 6 new PBs and then a 5km warm down. Still buzzing after it and given me great confidence. Just need to get rid of the fat lad now and it will help the watts/kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I've had an epic few weeks on the bike. Loved every minute of it, even the really, really painful and testing parts.

Went out with the 7am crew the Saturday before last and had a blast. Had a CCC member start showing me how to take the wheel (properly) and doing this whole thing with his elbow which meant I had to take the front for a few seconds and swippin' and swapping.

We got a fierce speed up on the flat.

It was great fun.

The following day I did the Naas CC Tour De Foothills 65 km which was tough, given the weather. I expected the wind and the rain but I didn't expect the cold via wind chill. My hands got so cold I thought I was going to cry :( That's no joke. I was in agony.

How can cold cold hands feel like they have been dipped into molten Lava?

I'm taking my winter gloves out with me until Summer is confirmed.

The weather is all over the shop tbh, even now.

I think that was about 130 km or so for the weekend.

I then decided I wanted to be a Goat. Because that's really clever.

Probably not the best choice considering I am a heavy smoker but I have taken on board a lot of tips over the last few months.

But I'd rather do it now and suffer like the wuss that I am, than look back in 20 years and wish I had.

Plus I think it's "OK" now to be found sobbing at the side of the road.

Managed to do the whole Galway to Dublin thing last weekend too, over the Saturday and Sunday. That was tough given the bleedin' easterly wind, the first day especially. The last 30km of the 130 were super tough. I think I was exhausted before I even started the Spin :/

I met some real Heros over that weekend. Not the people who are into cycling (though a lot of them are heros in a different way) but the people who just do it for charity. That's some spin for them!

I did a lot at the "front" over the two days and it was tough but the best part for me was coming across a lady who was really, really suffering and taking/talking her home over the last 40 km. :o I don't mean it was nice to come across someone suffering etc...

She's a hero.

She's what the G2D is all about.

During the week I had an unexpected afternoon off and decided to use all the things taught to me over the last number of months to take on my Nemesis, Bohernabreena Hill.

I won.

I nearly didn't. I had to tell my legs to "shut up" a few times.

It was super, super tough.

It really is a See you Next Tuesday of a hill, if you're me.

I'm going to keep at it.

Might as well hammer the sh1t out of this body while I still can.

You never know what's around the corner.

I LOVE my Canyons too, btw :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement