Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Great post Unknown Soldier.
    Now, if you can get up Bohernabreena, you can quit the smokes!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Did a very wet 31 km. Was between Howth and Phoenix Park, but opted for Park in case I had to get home quickly. Started raining as soon as I got there, and did not relent. Longest cycle since November though and just trying to get the distances back up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/292086665

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'm taking my winter gloves out with me until Summer is confirmed.

^^ I should really heed my own advice :D

Woke up at 5AM this morning with a killer hangover, then woke up again at ten to six. Got my sh1t together as best I could and headed off at 6:40 to meet the 7AM Crew, as I am calling them.

I think I nearly maxed out my heart rate 3 time just getting over to Clondalkin for 7.05

Then I got put at the front all the way over to Slade hill :(

I then heard the plan was to go to Manor Kilbride, past the Blessington lakes and up to Lackan.

My plan was to sit at the back and take a right at Blessington lakes and do a runner home!

Unfortunately I only remembered my plan about 5 minutes after we passed the Blessington lakes :/

In fairness though I was feeling much "better" at that stage.
    On the way home though the temperature took a plunge and it started raining, that really cold rain. I left the crew at Saggart and headed back to Tallaght, Firhouse.

God damn was it cold. I was reminded of my recent Nass Tour De Foothills. My hands were freezing again but not to the extreme agony of the last time. And I forgot my Winter gloves.

When I got into the Gaff I looked like I had fallen into one of the lakes :(

Still. 73 km done with 663 is Meters of climbing according to my Garmin.

On the off chance that any of the three cyclists I passed at the Old Mill are reading this, I shouted "IT'S FUPPING FREEZING" as you went past, in case you were wondering :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

^^ I should really heed my own advice :D

Woke up at 5AM this morning with a killer hangover, then woke up again at ten to six. Got my sh1t together as best I could and headed off at 6:40 to meet the 7AM Crew, as I am calling them.

I think I nearly maxed out my heart rate 3 time just getting over to Clondalkin for 7.05

Then I got put at the front all the way over to Slade hill :(

I then heard the plan was to go to Manor Kilbride, past the Blessington lakes and up to Lackan.

My plan was to sit at the back and take a right at Blessington lakes and do a runner home!

Unfortunately I only remembered my plan about 5 minutes after we passed the Blessington lakes :/

In fairness though I was feeling much "better" at that stage.
    On the way home though the temperature took a plunge and it started raining, that really cold rain. I left the crew at Saggart and headed back to Tallaght, Firhouse.

God damn was it cold. I was reminded of my recent Nass Tour De Foothills. My hands were freezing again but not to the extreme agony of the last time. And I forgot my Winter gloves.

When I got into the Gaff I looked like I had fallen into one of the lakes :(

Still. 73 km done with 663 is Meters of climbing according to my Garmin.

On the off chance that any of the three cyclists I passed at the Old Mill are reading this, I shouted "IT'S FUPPING FREEZING" as you went past, in case you were wondering :D

Fair play doing that with a hangover! Im not going out in that stone cold sober!
    What club are you with?

terrydel wrote: »
    Fair play doing that with a hangover! Im not going out in that stone cold sober!
    What club are you with?

I find Cycling is great for hangovers, once you get out the door :)

I'm not with any club, it's just some of the Laurels G2D training group, though two of the blokes are in the CCC and are savage cyclists who LOVE hills and all the "Goat" stuff.
    There were only 6 of us this morning but sometimes there are 10 or so. It's a good mix of blokes & ladies of all ages.

• Advertisement

I find Cycling is great for hangovers, once you get out the door :)

I'm not with any club, it's just some of the Laurels G2D training group, though two of the blokes are in the CCC and are savage cyclists who LOVE hills and all the "Goat" stuff.
    There were only 6 of us this morning but sometimes there are 10 or so. It's a good mix of blokes & ladies of all ages.

You see that getting out the door bit? Well I struggle with that cos its proceeded by the getting out of the leaba bit! And I don't even drink hahaha

Im based in Clondalkin myself and kinda looking for a group to go out with every now and then, if the times suit my own schedule (I aint a crack of dawn man at all :D)
    Whats the Saturday/Sunday schedule like?
    Im ok on the climbs myself, mainly cos Im light I reckon. Have been doing repeats on Ballinascorney of late and finding it fairly ok, the last bit at the top is always painful mind you.
    Whats GOAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Five of us headed out for a club spin. It was drizzly but not unpleasant. Three had to be home for around 11am so myself and one other headed off to balivor for a quick coffee ad home via trim and dunsany. 86k in all. Soaked through. Weighted an extra stone with all the wet gear on and feet were very sore and stinging like a b*tch. Had to be done so I can sit and watch lbl guilt free😀

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

95km today from Baldoyle to Nutgrove to collect a work car with a "slight" diversion put into the route which I now totally regret. Went over towards Sandyford and took the start of the Orwell route for next weekend up to Cruagh and all going well till about 2km up the rain & wind kicked in and was pretty much like that the whole way up to lough bray before easing of somewhat. Got to the gap and headed down Lugalla. Nearly came a cropper on one of the little bridges going too fast and missed the road side by inches. Down to the bottom and did a U turn to go back up. Ive tried the Lough Tay side 3 times before and only succeeded on 1 of them so now were even at 2 all. Wasnt feeling too bad by the time I got to Gap again and turned towards Rathfarnham. This is when things started going bad. The ambulance for the Skoda cycle passed me and behind him was a coach taking up the whole road and the driver decided to have a look down at his feet just as the ambulance passed me and he only noticed me at the last second. Was ready to swan dive into the ditch/bog beside me. Temperature dropped (got a reading on garmin of 2 degrees) and the winds increased well before Lough Bray. Was wet and cold then but later by the time I reached the viewing point I was seriously cold, shivering and barely able to pull the brakes which continued till I got back to Nutgrove. I dont think Ive ever been so cold on a spin before. Never have I been so glad to get into that poxy car. A good 40 minutes just sitting there rambling onto myself like a loon.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Frustrating week on the bike, tried to blow off the cobwebs today. 165km, 33km average. Cavan, Roosky, Longford and home.

Mixed emotions on this one. I took the bike in to work with great intentions. Today was going to be the big spin in preparation for next weeks Tour of Sligo. I was going to do Bohernabreena/Sally Gap/ Laragh/Wicklow Gap/ Blessington and home. Then I got absolutely p!ssed on at work and felt like crap before ever getting on the bike. Changed into my cycling gear and took off in the wind and rain and really felt dead and heavy all the way up Bohernabreena. By the time I got to the top of Ballinascorney I was saturated and my fingers were going numb. Got down to Kippure Estate and said F**K this, I'm not climbing the gap in this weather. Turned for Blessington. Stopped by the nice church near Manor Kilbride because I couldn't feel my hands at all. Took off the gloves and continued. I didn't even have the heart to make it to Blessington. Turned up a sh!tty lane near Brittas and had to stop and shelter beside a shed there for a few minutes as the rain was absolutely bucketting down.
    Got out onto the N81 and struggled into more wind and rain and I was never as glad to get off a bike in my life when I got back to the car. It took me 10 minutes to get changed and I said to myself WTF am I at? My nose is running and I have the start of a sore throat to match it.

Got home, wouldn't you know it... lovely weather out here.
    Uploaded the ride to Strava disgusted with myself and some more WTF's. I set a load of PRs despite myself. Not just set them but absolutely smashed them by minutes on some segments. I'm 14th overall on one climb??? I'm fú#king astounded.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/292226211

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

56k Tour of Wicklow as far as Laragh and took the "wuss bus" back to Bray. A lot, maybe most, of the field seemed to do the same! I've never been that cold. Wet, windy, and a sudden drop in temps. Everyone at the feed station was on "vibration alert"! Fair play to those who organised transport for us from Laragh back to Bray and huge kudos to those with the kahunas to get back on the bike and take the 30k shortened route back. I felt ok after about half an hour in the feed station but I was terrified of my hands going numb again as soon as I got on the road. The descent into Laragh was terrifying, I couldn't feel my hands and the bike was wobbling under me as I trembled from the cold.

Happy with the decision. Four years ago I injured my calf between mile 9 and 10 of the Cork marathon and stubbornly walked the rest of it and couldn't run a step for six weeks afterwards. Common sense prevailed today which represents major progress!

Rb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

40k spin from Limerick to Shannon and back

ive never been so glad of buying a jacket with removable sleeves.
    and the sun came out and heated everything up on the way home

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scuboo

23k spin today on a loop from the house, first time on the bike in 2 years and first time on the new bike. The weather wasn't great, cold and wet but it was ok until I got to the half way point and turned around that it got though. Rain and wind in my face all the way home, good spin tho, sore this evening but can't wait to get out agian.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

Did a club spin in north Meath, south Cavan this morning 54km's in horrible weather. Did Lough an lea hill near Baileborough twice (some of the lads did it four or five times), cross winds up there were not nice at all. On the plus side, the wind was behind us most of the way back from Bailaeborough so we were flying along.

terrydel wrote: »
    Whats GOAT?

I'll PM you over the next few days about our spins :)

GOAT = mountain goat = loves hills btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Up at 4:00am on Saturday morning. Left my house at 5:00am, rode the 129km to Athlone.

Sat in a conference all day, didn't fall asleep!

Left Athlone at 5:20pm and rode the 128Km home to Dublin.

257km for the day.That'll do.

I'll PM you over the next few days about our spins :)

GOAT = mountain goat = loves hills btw.

Nice one buddy, appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Liege Bastogne Liege yesterday. 4.659m of climbing in 283k averaging 23.7km/h.

https://app.strava.com/activities/292564606

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

mad dave wrote: »
    Did a club spin in north Meath, south Cavan this morning 54km's in horrible weather. Did Lough an lea hill near Baileborough twice (some of the lads did it four or five times), cross winds up there were not nice at all. On the plus side, the wind was behind us most of the way back from Bailaeborough so we were flying along.

That's a great hill. Used to be on my usual loop, going from Kingscourt towards Baillieborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

My first spin on the roads today, it was only 30km but I could really feel it in my legs. There are no flat roads around here at all. My average speed was looking good, in the mid 20s, then I turned for home and that dropped to 19.5 kph

I don't really intend doing any long cycles this year so I'll probably end up doing the same route most Sundays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

My first week cycling.

Always been interesting in the sport and love watching the Tours, and the Monuments.

Training to possibly do the ROK.

Training around the Phoenix Park until I get more comfortable on the road.

Today I did from the City to Howth, up Howth Hill and back in. 40km. Embarrassingly slow and had to stop halfway up the hill but I made it.

Dunno how I'll do Molls Gap with the struggle I had with Howth but I'll keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

DDC1990 wrote: »
    My first week cycling.

Always been interesting in the sport and love watching the Tours, and the Monuments.

Today I did from the City to Howth, up Howth Hill and back in. 40km. Embarrassingly slow and had to stop halfway up the hill but I made it.

Dunno how I'll do Molls Gap with the struggle I had with Howth but I'll keep going.

There's a training programme on the Rok website, it's very useful. On the day pace yourself, it's a long slog but you'll get there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

DDC1990 wrote: »
    My first week cycling.

It gets easier the more hills you do. Hills that beat me when I started I laugh at now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Toughest spin in a while. Pace was relentless. Started cramping with about 20km to go. 164.5km with 2717m of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/292928695

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

60 weeks, 420 days - today saw my return to racing after my crash last year. I was in the slowest of the 3 IVCA races - a special dispensation to drop from the middle race had been obtained. I had committed not to get involved in the race for position at the end.

Heading over in the car I was definitely having 2nd thoughts. WTF was I doing? Am I crazy to even think about racing again?

Got there and signed on. Only around 20 or so in my race, but that was what I was looking for - a small field and my only focus was rebuilding confidence.

First lap (of 4) I didn't mind doing quite a bit of work at the front, knowing I didn't have to worry about saving too much for the end. Eased back into the group a bit more on the 2nd lap. Then there was a break of 4. Didn't want to spoil it for everyone by bringing it all back together, so I allowed the gap to build. I knew there was a section of the circuit I could close things down a bit coming up, and took my chance when it came up. The gap had built though and although I probably narrowed it by maybe 50%+ I ended up easing back into the remnants of the main group. There was no way they would ever catch the break (although one of those in it blew up and came back to our group), so I did a few more pulls then headed off to the carpark leaving them to it for the last 5km or so, knowing I had had a decent workout, and most importantly had never felt concerned/nervous at all during the race.

Good to be back - next the track league on Wednesday.....

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

65kms with 980m climbing at 21.4kph avg. Various loops of Forth Mountain and the surrounding hills.

Picked up 7 PBs during a badly needed confidence booster after abandoning the Tour of Wicklow on the verge of hypothermia yesterday. Despite the dreadful conditions and a general consensus that it was one of the worst days on the bike ever, a nagging voice in my head kept saying: "Abandon the Tour of WICKLOW and you think you can do the Marmotte? HA!"

The contrast in weather today is incredible, a beautiful day around Wexford and the missus tells me it was the same here up to lunchtime yesterday! D'OH.

Planning to do the Orwell Randonee next Sat, And the long range weather forecast looks very similar to yesterday's conditions. 😱

Rb

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Going home to Carlow from a visit to my parents in Wexford, I decided to finally follow up on my threat to cycle the journey instead of the miserable Wexford-Waterford-Kilkenny-Carlow bus journey. Got up in the morning, found I did feel motivated, and off I went. Unfortunately, I did have a fairly heavy backpack to haul with me, which was the reason I was somewhat apprehensive about it. All quiet on the N11 as far as Enniscorthy, all perfectly ordinary. Found that I was more comfortable in the drops with the backpack, it shifted the weight onto my back and across my whole body instead of just weighing me down on my saddle.

Got as far as Bunclody, and my back/neck was properly tired. Rather sick of the now busy, narrow road between Enniscorthy and Bunclody. Stopped for a coke and a couple of Turkish Delights, bit of a stretch, and off I went again. Went up the drag outside Bunclody, and decided I was totally sick of the traffic. Spotted a nice looking turn towards Myshall, figured it was roughly in the direction I wanted to go in, and off I went on a detour.

Beautiful road and countryside, great road surface and perfectly quiet. Great decision to go down that way. Wasn't particularly hilly but I still got a terrific view of Mt. Leinster. Avoided the worst of the roads around Ballon too. Would highly recommend anyone in the area to try the roads around Myshall, was absolutely perfect cycling. Helped that the sugar boost from the Coke and chocolate had started to kick in too :)

Mood risen significantly, I rolled into Carlow with my journey complete. Infinitely more enjoyable than sitting on a hot, smelly bus for the equivalent 3 hours. 79km including the detour via Myshall. Nice and slow, back now slightly sore but nothing major.

https://www.strava.com/activities/292844511

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

We were back out again for an easier club Sunday spin. Did 74k with a low average of 20.3. Did a bit of hill reps again today. Climbed Hill of Ward in Athboy twice (got 45 seconds on Strava on the second attempt), then had a quick manly sprint down Dunderry side, clocked 66.6. Stopped by Cortown to see the Bohermeen race, those lads really fly along. You can feel the breeze of the larger groups when they pass you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

65kms today from Greystones to Enniskerry, up to Glencree and on up to the mast on Kippure and back home the same way. Kippure is some climb! Beautiful day compared to yesterday and a huge amount of cyclists out and about!

https://www.strava.com/activities/292858915

• Advertisement

Ah it's not too bad

till you cross the stream :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement