Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

crosstownk wrote: »
    I placed an order on Wiggle to make me feel better. :o

do share :p

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

neris wrote: »
    If your going up again take a right at the summit and follow the road down as far as the T junction at the GAA club and go right it,ll bring you out down from the field with the donkeys or if your feeling brave just go straight down and you,ll end up on the other side of the church

Thanks, could you throw some road names in there for me to help me map it out for future reference please?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

dunworth1 wrote: »
    do share :p

Nothing spectacular. Just some High 5 stuff, chamois cream and bottle cages (my current crappy one lets the bottle rattle which drives me insane).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭McGrath5

My first "proper" cycle in about a month, a fair amount of climbing for me.
    Well pleased that I did Stocking Lane in one go without having to stop for a rest.

https://www.strava.com/activities/295383675

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

neris wrote: »
    If your going up again take a right at the summit and follow the road down as far as the T junction at the GAA club and go right it,ll bring you out down from the field with the donkeys or if your feeling brave just go straight down and you,ll end up on the other side of the church
    Luxman wrote: »
    Thanks, could you throw some road names in there for me to help me map it out for future reference please?
    Neris is referring to Balkill Rd/Dungriffin Rd for the donkeys or Balkill Rd/Balglass Rd if coming out at the church.

If taking the latter, take extreme care if it is wet. There's a 20% descent at the bend.

• Advertisement

Neris is referring to Balkill Rd/Dungriffin Rd for the donkeys or Balkill Rd/Balglass Rd if coming out at the church.

If taking the latter, take extreme care if it is wet. There's a 20% descent at the bend.

Thanks WA, got my geography sorted now, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I never meant to take cycling seriously. I still don't.

I think.

:/

I seem to be doing hills a lot now.

The group I go out with want to do hills :(

I've been busting my thighs all week but resting now.

I'm finishing off April with 815 km done and a (for me) massive 5,136 (meters, you pricks) :) climbed.

I'm starting to wonder if my missus has paid people to take me up hills that will give me a heart attack.

She's quite clever that way.

I never meant to take cycling seriously. I still don't.

I think.

:/

I seem to be doing hills a lot now.

The group I go out with want to do hills :(

I've been busting my thighs all week but resting now.

I'm finishing off April with 815 km done and a (for me) massive 5,136 km climbed.

I'm starting to wonder if my missus has paid people to take me up hills that will give me a heart attack.

She's quite clever that way.

Holy vertical metres Batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The group I go out with want to do hills
    I'm finishing off April with 815 km done and a (for me) massive 5,136 km climbed..

6k climbing for every 1 k distance ..
    That's some steep hill :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Went out out to take a crack at the Wall near Enniskerry (have done the Balinagee hill part a few times but never the full climb). Destroyed myself, almost threw up at the top..missed out on the top 10 by 5 seconds :mad: :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/295576814/segments/6946007353

• Advertisement

Daroxtar wrote: »
    6k climbing for every 1 k distance ..
    That's some steep hill :D

They were steep hills!

I meant meters :(

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

Good climbing spin today which included Mt Leinster up to the mast!! 57km 1362m great weather!!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

A short but very enjoyable 30km on my new AR5 this evening, no jacket, gloves, roll on the summer, I'm getting the gu!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

colm18 wrote: »
    Went out out to take a crack at the Wall near Enniskerry (have done the Balinagee hill part a few times but never the full climb). Destroyed myself, almost threw up at the top..missed out on the top 10 by 5 seconds :mad: :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/295576814/segments/6946007353

Isn't the bit down near the bridge only massive? How are the pot-holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

1st century in 4 years. flattish course over to swords and on up to garristown then towards ardcath, duleek, bellewstown, naul and home. Felt like a bit of a gob****e going out at 5pm in tights, long sleeve jersey, gilet and shoe covers passing guys in shorts and jerseys but by the time i got to bellewstown was glad Id taken then. Took the climb from the duleek/julianstown road up by the quarry. Did it few times years ago and always thought it was worse

101.8km (Garmin said 102)
    715m climbing
    4 hours 12 mins.

Isn't the bit down near the bridge only massive? How are the pot-holes?

Yeah the road surface there is awful,you wouldn't want to be doing any kind of speed on the descent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Well my morning spin went like this
    20150501_062429.jpg

20150501_063246.jpg

Luckily it happened just outside the gate, and in fairness to Shimano it's a new cleat that I dropped on the way home before fitting that got driven over by a Dublin bus....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What is The Wall in Enniskerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah thats the link from the previous page that made me ask what the Wall is :confused:

The map just seems to show the regular roads you use if cycling in the area, only 100m climbing in any one place...

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah thats the link from the previous page that made me ask what the Wall is :confused:

The map just seems to show the regular roads you use if cycling in the area, only 100m climbing in any one place...

Does it not link to the segement? Anyway, it's a 1.4k climb with 140metres elevation - starts at 23.3k on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Thargor wrote: »

if you were cycling away from the powerscourt waterfall entrance its the first turn right (at a little cross roads). You wouldnt really notice it as its a single lane road/boreen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

https://www.strava.com/activities/296148430

Posting more or less for Novelty's sake, my slightly extended commute home tonight on the trusty Commutourer. Booterstown Ave is much less of a hill than I remembered, Mt. Anville got the old blood flowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

90km at 22.1 avg.
    Up Gunny Hill and turn left for Killakee, on towards Sally Gap, then onto Laragh past Glenmacnass. Cracking leek and potato soup in the café, along with a cup of scald and a chocolate brownie :D
    25-30 min stop there, then back home via the same route.
    Took it handy, it was my longest cycle since last summer. Few stops along the way, at Viewpoint on the way out and Sally Gap on the return, not cos I needed to really, but as I'm training for the cycle in the Dolomites, Im being very careful just to stay within myself and not knacker myself out. Felt good today, well capable. Will look to crack the 100 Sunday if the weather's ok.
    Hoping to have a couple of 140-150odd km spins in before the Wicklow 200 then have a right good crack at that.
    Bit chilly in parts today, but overall a good day. But surely we could power this whole country off wind alone, the fecking amount of it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this thread is suspiciously quiet today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Funny that! :)

Got a quickie in yesterday before the rain. Woman walked out in front of me with her dog and lead ahead of her. Had to let a yell and she froze on the spot. Rear wheel locked and I very nearly hit her. Cut the spin short after that and back into the estate and some plonker just reversed out on me.

Two narrow escapes told me to just stay in bed this morning!

Im not surprised!

It's very, very wet out there. Constant rain.

Luckily I remebered to have my full winter kit on and my new Pearl iZumi Elite Barrier Jacket :D

My winter gloves were gift!

I still got soaked :(

Tbh even ducks were taking shelter this morning.

67.1km done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did my first sportive today. Great to be cycling a group again. A good 100km and a decent pace. Enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A lot of the action (and some inaction) is over on the Orwell Randonee thread. Doozerie's blow by blow account is particularly worth a read.

Sounds like a good few who pulled out yesterday intend doing some or all of the route tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Just under 60k, but got a good gallop going at the end and found myself a few pb's on strava. Happy enough with that considering I spent half of yesterday looking out the window at rain that seemed to be falling sideways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement