Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

denbatt wrote: »
    Cycling home after my night shift yesterday. Took a corner only to my horror the road was covered in mud from a field entrance so I went down hard! Two broken bones in my hand and some brushing to my hip and shoulder. .....and ego!,
    Only had a look at my helmet a while ago, it's cracked in 3 places!
    Just got called for surgery now!

Ow! Poor thing. Cycling one-handed for the next while so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

32km hilly commute in my best time yet, and all road users behaving themselves impeccably for a change.

Walking in the door of my office, I saw an altercation between a cyclist and a motorist - "No seriously, did you really not see me? I'm wearing high-viz, have strong lights, and indicated, and you still didn't see me?"

For once it wasn't me!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nice autum morning this morning. Little wind but cold. Did a decent effort of 50km averaging 30km/h.

Debs season must be coming to an end but plenty of half naked young ones out and about this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

godtabh wrote: »
    Nice autum morning this morning. Little wind but cold. Did a decent effort of 50km averaging 30km/h.

Debs season must be coming to an end but plenty of half naked young ones out and about this morning

Strava link or route details please...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

fiacha wrote: »
    Strava link or route details please...:)

Too late. They will all be at home now..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If it was a decision made in a private industry heads would have rolled
    Obviously, because none of us have ever experienced either as customers or employees bad and wasteful decisions made in private industry that didn't involve heads rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Got my first puncture on the way to work this morning, very impressed with myself as I just throw a spate tube and levers in to the backpack and attached a mini pump to the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

Managed to fall off the bike on the Navan Road this afternoon. No idea what happened, I just ended up on my side still holding the handlebars !
    Nobody else involved and I couldn't see any oil or anything on the road.

Luckily I had slowed for a bus to pull out so not going at any speed. No damage to the bike, but I appear to have knackered a couple of ribs (falling off a bike while obese HURTS !).

My shame forced me to do a slow 27Km around the Park before limping home. Lovely day for it all the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fair play for adding 27k to the bruises!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Had a great spin this evening.
    Round trip to Enniskerry via Edmundstown, Cruagh Wood, Featherbeds, Glencree, Kilternan, Dundrum.

51km @ 25kph with 672m climbing.

Really felt great after it, I haven't been up this route in a while.
    Got very cold on the descent from Glencree to Enniskerry was happy to see the climb from the village to the Scalp to get the blood pumping again.

http://www.strava.com/activities/205674651

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Decided to have a go at the local 16km TT course to set a benchmark for next year. Wasn't going to bad until I cycled over a stone in the hard shoulder after around 6km and got a pinch flat. I guess I can't complain after covering 2500km since I starting cycling without a puncture. Of course when I changed the tube and tried to pump it the valve popped out of the stem. Was just ringing for a lift when a member of the cycling club pulled in and offered to drop me and the bike home! Hopefully I get the chance to repay the favour to someone someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

cycled back from nightshift, quick breakfast and out for a spin on the MTB to explore the local area (no wife and kids to distract me for a few days - great!) and also test my new garmin 800.
    Loaded a route, got dressed and set off. Headset is making funny noises, brakes don't seem too efficient and can't get the highest 3 gears on the RD, but the bike has been idle for months, so I soldier on.
    5Km into it... pop! Hole in tubeless tyre. No idea how it happened as it was fully pumped before I left and I didn't hit anything that I noticed. Threw in a tube and tried to patch the hole with a piece of card I found. Turned for home anyway. Patch didn't last. Used all my CO2 getting halfway home and had to walk the rest - no wife to call for help.. great :(
    Off to bed now. Pah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

*Hooks GoPro up to bike*

:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Eventful day today.

Started off and about 8km in a car was turning right. I slowed down and some numpty undertook the car turning right. Mounted the cycle track and hit me and fell as I got pinned between the cycle path kerb and the road. Then drove off.

No damage done to me or the bike (I think) quick check and I gave chase. Got her about 2km down the road. Took picture of the car reg. will
    Go the guards when i get home.

Happened in church town just past the SuperValu. Car turning right was a black Audi S3. Any one see anything let me know.

Continued on and did 140km in the end. Averaged 29.6km/h. Happy with that but faded at the end.

Also went to the MxDonald Drive Tru in Athlone. Great laugh had by all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Did the Ardattin 200 today in company with ror_74. Lovely day, lovely weather, lovely spin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Did the Ardattin 200 today in company with ror_74. Lovely day, lovely weather, lovely spin...

You mean you dragged me around :)

Cracking day though. A few more of those before winter would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Tallaght Blessington naas maynooth celbridge tallaght
    Lovely fresh morning ,bit cold starting out but warmed up quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Nice easy going spin up to Sally Gap and home via Ballinascorney. Glorious morning out there, although a touch cold in the shade.

http://www.strava.com/activities/206330781

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Did 18km on the mountain bike after 3 weeks not sitting on a bike at all because of moving house.

Came across 3 horses with riders on trail on the way home, wasn't going fast and stopped back from them so as not to spook the horses but locked the back wheel a touch and the noise made the horses take off like they heard a gunshot. Luckily all ok and I was very apologetic to the riders. They were very understanding thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

http://app.strava.com/activities/206398966/segments/4866674973

Nice morning for a spin here so did a lap of Lake Zurich - probably the only flat route here!
    Lots of nice cars out on the roads too - and rode past a Maclaren/AMG dealership that had a Veyron in the window.
    Not done a lot of riding outside my commute so I'm feeling a bit achy now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Lovely back-roads spin through the fog- filled Blackwater valley, marred only by the depressingly large number of half-wit drivers who reckon the appropriate level of lighting for driving in fog is "None".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Charity spin this morning in aid of the Gary Kelly centre in Drogheda.
    Drogheda-Nobber-Drogheda, about 70km.
    Was cold and foggy on the way out, felt a bit vulnerable with no rear light.
    A lot brighter and warmer on the way back in, a pleasant flat spin.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cold to start but after an hour into the spin I was probably over dressed. Still, it was a great morning for it.

I encountered the scrotes on the way back on the N81 from Saggart who were throwing sticks and stones at passing cyclists. I've heard of this crap in that location but today was the first time I encountered such idiotic behaviour. Thankfully they missed us. I stopped at the junction at the Jobstown Inn and called the Gardaí in Tallaght who said they'd be out straight away.

87km, 24.5km/h, 580m.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

60km steady, Swords CC Youth spin, long may this weather continue, NCD is looking great in the Autumn sunshine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

37km up around the naul. met a nice italian chap called gianni and did about 25km with him, helped pass the time more quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Met my insomniac mate in Trim at 8.45 and headed to Navan (bloody freezing at 2 degrees and very foggy), onto Slane, down to Ashbourne (fog finally cleared and sun came out), onto Ratoath, Dunshaughlin and back to Trim. Beautiful morning with calm winds and comfortable temperature.

79km and could have done it again but my mate's knee was starting to act up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Nice spin over howth. Coast looked wonderful. Had a nice chat while having a sneaky rest at the harbour. A few PB s and the calfs are really feeling it now. Great day for the bike,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Freezing fog for the first half hour or so, glorious sunshine for the rest of the spin..??? Nice 50 k @ 28 kmh all the same. Longwood - Castlejordan - Kinnegad - Longwood.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/206400111

60km over the mountains. All seasons today. Went up stocking lane across sally gap and back via Manor Kilbride and Tallaght.

It was slightly nippy leaving at lunch so wore bib tights, base layer and a long sleeve jersey. Was overheating coming up Stocking lane and got slightly sunkissed going over the gap. It was absolutely brilliant weather up there. The sun went away on the decent and I could feel quite cold.. Time to invest in a gilet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

48k this evening after two weeks off the bike due to knee pains. Still a slight niggle but the weather was too good to pass up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement