Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Then I watched a lad ride up it on a fixie...

This would have killed a little bit of me yesterday.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Don't want to clog up the place with a thread on this...

Out yesterday and got a blow out 1k from home..scared the bejaysus out of me. Anyway I now have a 10mm gash/cut in a fairly new Conti 4000 s.

Just wondering should I bin it or try or patch from inside etc...

Cheers.

I would fix it with a large patch (~3x5cm) made out of a sidewall of another tyre, glued wth a strong and elastic glue. If it will not bulge out after some time it may be fine.

I may have a boot patch in this size made out of Vittoria Open Corsa, if you want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Alek wrote: »
    I would fix it with a large patch (~3x5cm) made out of a sidewall of another tyre, glued wth a strong and elastic glue. If it will not bulge out after some time it may be fine.

I may have a boot patch in this size made out of Vittoria Open Corsa, if you want one.

Cheers,
    I've a couple of tyres laying around I'll give it a go..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

not yet wrote: »
    Don't want to clog up the place with a thread on this...

Out yesterday and got a blow out 1k from home..scared the bejaysus out of me. Anyway I now have a 10mm gash/cut in a fairly new Conti 4000 s.

Just wondering should I bin it or try or patch from inside etc...

Cheers.
    Bin it.

Patching it is really just a get you home thing. There's likely a risk that the cut will extend even if patched, the patch (unless very smooth) will likely chafe leading to punctures and, if it blows again, you risk crashing (most likely if it's mounted on the front).

That said, apparently the best tyre boot is a piece of a Capri-Sun 'juice drink' pouch. Very thin and light but pretty strong. Wrap it around the tube, refit in tyre and pump up...

• Advertisement

the patch (unless very smooth) will likely chafe

A properly glued one won't*. And patch made from an old tyre will have at least the same strength as the original casing :)

1. find a good elastic glue that is designed bond rubber - ie. what shoemakers use.
    2. apply a thin layer to the inside of tyre and the patch
    3. let the glue dry almost competely - usually 10min.
    4. Press the patch firmly to the tyre and leave it compressed for 12h.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

My cycle (to an external meeting and then back to work) today:

Wet, very wet.

The trip home this evening is likely to be pretty similar except that it will start with damp clothes.

Feels like summer is over. Ah well thats a good excuse to light a nice fire and have a nice sunday roast this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The_Sub wrote: »
    yes caught the whole thing plus my verbal response...

Lovely, are you going to share the video with the whole class?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Fian wrote: »
    My cycle (to an external meeting and then back to work) today:

Wet, very wet.

The trip home this evening is likely to be pretty similar except that it will start with damp clothes.

Feels like summer is over. Ah well thats a good excuse to light a nice fire and have a nice sunday roast this weekend.

In fairness it was windy this morning in Dublin, but not wet where I was.

Going home was a very, very different story.

Totally drenched but luckily little wind. It wasn't quite summer rain but at least it wasn't winter rain. Managed 14'ish in and 21 home. Very little cyclist about too. Been awhile since I had to strip off in the hall!

Also got me a KOM this morning. Been singing KLF's 3am Eternal in my head all day and replacing 3am with KOM and "ancients" with Canyon.

It's a work in progress and also a Friday :)

I, for one, love cycling in the rain and the dark :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

52km today Greystones to Enniskerry up the Devils Elbow down into Stepaside and home. First time for the Devils Elbow although the climb out of Enniskerry was worse! Absolutely fantastic weather for a spin!
    http://www.strava.com/activities/203101780

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Heading up to Kippure masts in the mist this morning at about 9am to put out an orienteering control I was in a world of my own when a workvan passed me. I was surprised to say the least.
    It was pretty cold up there at that time. Like a different day later on down in Tala in the sun.

It was a beautiful day for a spin around Howth. The headwind on the way back was the only bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Slow and steady, didn't win the race mind!

Bit breezy, bit nippy, but glorious sunshine! Found the Rapha hat I had misplaced from the group buy eons ago, and it kept my earphones in, and my head and ears toasty warm. 60km Swords -> Blanch -> Dunboyne -> Rathoath -> Swords

http://www.strava.com/activities/203082943

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I was training with my friend in Abbeyknockmoy in Galway.

62.8km - 2:52:12 - 574m

http://www.strava.com/activities/203129027/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Was out this morning in my 3/4 lengths. It was cold!

godtabh wrote: »
    Was out this morning in my 3/4 lengths. It was cold!

I was out this afternoon, bib tights, hat, long sleeve merino wool base layer, long sleeved winter jersey, gilet, and I wasn't overdressed, cold wind blowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

After 6 months looking for an opportunity finally got to tackle Mount Leinster today. To the mast this time.

A brutal climb, nothing else I've done here compares, including Mamore, Priests Leap. The climb from Bunclody to Nine Stones at foot of private road is lovely.

Tired now, 240km all told, including 130km or so before tackling that beast.

Had yhe delightful company of @Seweryn for the day. I know nothing about bikes in comparison! Or how to climb!

An apple, pear, 100g of peanuts and 100g of hazel nuts. The fridge will be raided soon.

A box ticked never again (this year anyhow)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Inquitus wrote: »
    I was out this afternoon, bib tights, hat, long sleeve merino wool base layer, long sleeved winter jersey, gilet, and I wasn't overdressed, cold wind blowing.

yoikes! I wore a winter jersey knee warmers a casquette and a lightweight gilet at 0600 yesterday and I was boiling at times.

What changed overnight?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the temperature!

yoikes! I wore a winter jersey knee warmers a casquette and a lightweight gilet at 0600 yesterday and I was boiling at times.

What changed overnight?

It this low intensity winter training malarky, if one's not properly dressed, one freezes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

41K in the Killarney adventure 60K race. The climb through the black valley to Molls Gap was just savage but the views and descent made it worth it. The run up Torq was just torture though. Delighted I did it though and will do it again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Attacked twice tonight by the same mongrel of a dog my neighbour owns. Same ****er attacked a couple walking behind me too. Have had enough now, this isn't the first time he has had a go nor is it the only dog owned by these people that has attacked me.

Went to the local Garda station to make a complaint but nobody there. Will call in again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Attacked twice tonight by the same mongrel of a dog my neighbour owns. Same ****er attacked a couple walking behind me too. Have had enough now, this isn't the first time he has had a go nor is it the only dog owned by these people that has attacked me.

Went to the local Garda station to make a complaint but nobody there. Will call in again tomorrow.
    Try talking to the neighbour first and mention the council's dog warden.

(I can't see the Gardai being overly interested and will probably refer you to the dog warden anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Try talking to the neighbour first and mention the council's dog warden.

(I can't see the Gardai being overly interested and will probably refer you to the dog warden anyway).

I don't know the neighbour, never see them around. I don't drive so my only option is to walk/cycle to their house. Not an option with two vicious dogs loose. The couple he attacked are also contacting the guards, the station is only at the bottom of the road whereas the dog warden is based 30 miles away. Besides he could have caused a traffic accident tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

First cycle on my new first road bike. Hadn't planned to get out but was awake before dawn so headed off for wma quick spin. Terenure to dundrum to sandyford then back into town via n11, up the canal home. I have a lot to learn about appropriate clothing, I was cold; also have a lot to learn about pacing myself. I did 55 mins in the saddle, average speed of 27km. Fun but would like to up the fitness and maybe try cycling in a group sooner rather than later. Lovely morning, nice to cycle quiet roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Had similar experience before and the dog warden is the best option. Give them a ring and they should come out quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't know the neighbour, never see them around. I don't drive so my only option is to walk/cycle to their house. Not an option with two vicious dogs loose. The couple he attacked are also contacting the guards, the station is only at the bottom of the road whereas the dog warden is based 30 miles away. Besides he could have caused a traffic accident tonight
    Ah fair enough. Sometimes though it can be better to approach people before reporting to give them an opportunity to rectify things. It can also give you a higher moral ground should matters needs to proceed further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

ford2600 wrote: »
    After 6 months looking for an opportunity finally got to tackle Mount Leinster today. To the mast this time.

A brutal climb, nothing else I've done here compares, including Mamore, Priests Leap. The climb from Bunclody to Nine Stones at foot of private road is lovely.

Tired now, 240km all told, including 130km or so before tackling that beast.

Had yhe delightful company of @Seweryn for the day. I know nothing about bikes in comparison! Or how to climb!

An apple, pear, 100g of peanuts and 100g of hazel nuts. The fridge will be raided soon.

A box ticked never again (this year anyhow)!
    Thank you again for fantastic company and for pulling the train up the wind on the way back. A proper long distance class rider, we can all learn from @ford2600 how to do it!

It was my pleasure to meet a gentleman Boardsie. I hope it wasn't our last spin together. However, I would advise myself to maybe keep away from Stua Laighean climb. For a while anyway :).

Go raibh maith agat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Smashed a goal I had set myself for Christmas/next year by getting top 10 on the Sutton Side of Howth. Have a good bit of weight to shift so definitely have a few more seconds in the legs in the coming months! :)

http://www.strava.com/segments/1019696?filter=overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭fiacha

Define attacking.. Is the dog biting you , or just chasing the bike and being aggressive ?

If you have been bitten, call 999 there and then. Otherwise report it to the dog warden.
    Also, send a letter to the owner explaining the situation. Not confrontational and it shows the Gardai / Warden that you have tried to notify the owner directly.

Having a dog running at you and snapping isn't fun, but if it wanted to "attack" you it would be biting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement