Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Remember to spin low gears (particularly in a strong headwind). You'll end up going faster that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I rode an Uphill Time Trial Effort, I was aiming to average 210 Watts.
    Knocked 40 seconds off my previous best time on Three Rock Hill Strava Segment.

http://www.strava.com/activities/210313146

I know that 210 Watts is not great, but I'm making gainz! Feeling proud of myself.

22.7km - 1:10:08 - 504m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

done my 20 k run as normal during week. 1 hr 08 mins. fastest yet. tired though. The guy in my local gym says better to do short fast runs than long runs of more than 2 hrs when getting fit. does any 1 have any views on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Eamondomc wrote: »
    done my 20 k run as normal during week. 1 hr 08 mins. fastest yet. tired though. The guy in my local gym says better to do short fast runs than long runs of more than 2 hrs when getting fit. does any 1 have any views on this.

My view FWIW is to get out on your bike every chance you get. If that's for an hour then it's much better than sitting on your ass doing nothing as it's so easy to do this time of year.

I have only one hour to spare most days during the week and I do a hilly 28k 3 times a week which IMHO keeps me reasonably fit. If I have time I will do a 60-90k at the weekend but the midweek spin with plenty climbing or speed is invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Ok I have to agree about the intimidation and hope it doesent happen too often. My own experiences so far riding in the dark so far have been positive as I have a good set of lights and a really luminous jacket which are very important if you ride after dark. Motorists so far have given me a wide berth and no intimidation. off out now to do my usual 20 k round and its cold with showers here.(North Longford) Unlit country roads.

Where in North Longford may I ask . I live in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I know that 210 Watts is not great, but I'm making gainz! Feeling proud of myself.

Nice work bro! Are you running a power meter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    Where in North Longford may I ask . I live in that area.
    I live in the moyne area. Close to arva and aughnacliffe as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lovely morning this morning. The wind has dropped (a small bit) and it was very mild. Had to strip down mid ride.

Had a bit longer on the bike and did 55km with an average of 29km/h and a few PBs. Happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I hit the deck this morning in mud on a bend in Kilsallaghan. Twisted the rear derailleur.

Felt kinda badass cycling home covered in mud, blood and torn clothing! :D

Only 50k done :( - I'll try to get out again this evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I hit the deck this morning in mud on a bend in Kilsallaghan. Twisted the rear derailleur.

Felt kinda badass cycling home covered in mud, blood and torn clothing! :D

Only 50k done :( - I'll try to get out again this evening.

Is the bike ok?

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Is the bike ok?
    RD twisted, right hood bent, saddle rail dropped on one side, bar tape in shite - everything else seems ok.

I'm afraid the only option is to retire it and buy a new one!!

Zyzz wrote: »
    I'm afraid the only option is to retire it and buy a new one!!
    My wife suggested stabilisers! :D

(By sheer coincidence she was working and spotted me heading in the wrong direction so she knew something was up. Although she didn't swing around and pull up along side me like a proper team car.)

My wife suggested stabilisers! :D

(By sheer coincidence she was working and spotted me heading in the wrong direction so she knew something was up. Although she didn't swing around and pull up along side me like a proper team car.)

I guess Im the only one with balls to say it but..

Only option is a new wife. :P

:eek: :D

I've heard stories about Mrs. Wishbone Ash. She is a keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

shine on you crazy diamond. keep at it, your times,watts will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Went out for a lunchtime spin - Rathmines, Rathgar, Terenure, Templeogue, Jobstown, Embankment and back.

The wind had really taken it's toll on the legs and I struggled to the top of the Embankment at around 23kph. It was worth the effort, had one the the most enjoyable spins I've ever had home, wind right in my sails the entire way. Did the return leg at around 40kph, with a top 5, 8 and 9 overall on Strava!! (my first meaningful overall placings on well travelled routes!).

Thank you wind :D!

32k at 28.8kph overall.

http://www.strava.com/activities/210698939

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

It was worth the effort, had one the the most enjoyable spins I've ever had home, wind right in my sails the entire way. Did the return leg at around 40kph, with a top 5, 8 and 9 overall on Strava!! (my first meaningful overall placings on well travelled routes!).

Thank you wind :D!

32k at 28.8kph overall.

http://www.strava.com/activities/210698939

Same here this morning, except I still have to do the return leg home, into the headwind.

Brought my placing up to 43rd from 52nd on a local 10km segment. The KOM averaged his at 48km/h, and it's legit. WTF.

I think he really means "Getting Fit". So you build your cardiovascular system.
    Running is high impact on your shins and knees. It takes years (according to DurianRider on YouTube) to build up bone density to run for extended periods of time.

So with short fast runs, you'll build Cardio and won't stress your skeleton too much.

• Advertisement

Nice work bro! Are you running a power meter?

Yes, I bought a Stages 105 crank from powermeter24 at the start of July.
    Haven't read the "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" book yet. At the start I was just using it for pacing, as the Rapha Rising was on. I was just climbing at 2.6 watts/kg. Recently I've been using it to train Intervals. And even more recently to pace TT efforts.
    Bloggsie wrote: »
    shine on you crazy diamond. keep at it, your times,watts will get better.

Thanks Bloggsie. I'll keep pushing.

I'm gonna try to Average 210w again in the morning from the Topaz station at Kilternan, up past Johnny Foxes, to the top of the Pine Forest.

Was pushed with going out this morning and only planned on doing an hour. Found my legs and did 50km. Again it was nice and balmy with a fair few cyclist (in shorts, short sleeve t shirts and sunglasses at 6am) out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Quick nip around toward ringsend and back to dun laoighre before back over to ternure last night with the lights on a great crisp night, love riding on quoiet (ish) roads on nighs like that.

I rode my second Uphill TT effort of the week.

I was aiming to average 210 Watts on this Segment, I averaged 215 Watts and took 4 minutes off my time on that segment and moved up from 299th to 165th in the leader board.

http://www.strava.com/activities/210999012

33.8km - 1:26:34 - 463m

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Just back from a pleasant but tortuous 30ks in Howth doing various loops ending up at the Summit after each one. Had my 13yo whos getting into cycling and fond of climbing out with me. He had the bright idea that we should take the climb (Balglass road/Balkhill) up to the right of the church. Its a descent ive been down plenty of times when I was younger but never went up it and now i know why. He ran out of gears half way up and I wasnt far behind. 30.5km, 526m climbing, avg speed 19.2km.

http://www.strava.com/activities/211334193/segments/4985359240

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I got out this morning for a 50km spin to Blessington and back home. The wind was stiff enough on the way out but it was a decent morning for a spin. I picked up a few PBs on the way back thanks to the wind :D I hope to get out again on Monday.

50km, 300m @ 25.7km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

http://www.strava.com/activities/211506326

Weird one today, first spin in a couple of weeks due to a pesky headcold/chest infection, wanted to max out my cycling today and tomorrow including finally making the Orwell beginner spin tomorrow since Mrs RS is away today and tomorrow.

Headed out via Lucan and decided to pop into the village to finally get a second spare tube with a sufficiently long valve for my Sciroccos - decided to get Stagg's to fit raceblades for me so I'd finally be all set to join an Orwell spin, this created a rather long coffee stop where everyone outside Staggs looked at me like I had a dead baby pinned to my chest for decoration.

Back on my way, I didn't make it much further before my conscience got the better of me and I stopped in a relative's house for a coffee/catch up. Underway again I learned the fundamental incompatibility of deep rims and crosswinds, struggling into a headwind was a welcome relief. struggled on out to Ratoath then doubled back the way I came out, overshot the turn back into Lucan and went back via Clonsilla - Towpath (the concrete bit from Castlknock on) got off at Ashtown, spent about ten minutes waiting for the railway barriers to lift and took off with a line of cars behind me, misjudged the roundabout horribly and a car I had assumed was going right (I think he was indicating past what would have been the 1st exit for him) had to brake for me, I just blew out my cheeks in relief and looked apologetic before getting the ferk out of the roundabout, uneventful bleh through the park and along the Canal to home.

Got home, felt a little dissapointed that I hadn't done a few laps of the park to make it a century, and also that my average speed was ****.

Also, I failed the critical intelligence test to join Orwell...I forgot to sign up for the spin before 1700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Pretty rubbish spin today. Came off on a descent around a tight right hander. Can't say I enjoy fallen leaves all that much. Got up and realised the adjustment screw on my rear derailleur had sheared but some of the screw had stayed in the hole. Spent a bit of time playing eith the rear derailleur but soon gave up. Que an irritating ride with awful shifting. Tried keeping the HR down in order to get some base training in but the gale force headwind made it difficult.

http://www.strava.com/activities/211449125

At least this means I now have an excuse (albeit a rubbish one especially seen as the problem is easily fixable) to pick up a 5800 groupset.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭butterworth

Went for a spur-of-the-moment gran fondo challenge today instead of going into work. Why not. I've done a couple before so I thought it'd be grand, but the wind and a general lack of energy really took it out of me! Got a brief wordless partnership going from Howth along the Coast Rd to combat the headwind with a guy I can only refer to as Movistar. Had a Canyon. If you're reading this, cheers!

Going up towards the Featherbeds was the worst from a weather standpoint, but I hit a wall somewhere between Bray and Kilternan with still 20km to go. Bad times, felt like I was going to drop at any moment. Worst of all, I passed my house with 2km to go so I gritted my teeth and continued down the road 1km, then turned back happy out. Uploaded the file to Strava and of course I still had 160m to go! Bah, I don't need that stinkin' virtual badge anyway.

strava.c om/activities/211468750

129.84km, 1100m @ 26.5km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Went for a spur-of-the-moment gran fondo challenge today instead of going into work. Why not. I've done a couple before so I thought it'd be grand, but the wind and a general lack of energy really took it out of me! Got a brief wordless partnership going from Howth along the Coast Rd to combat the headwind with a guy I can only refer to as Movistar. Had a Canyon. If you're reading this, cheers!

Going up towards the Featherbeds was the worst from a weather standpoint, but I hit a wall somewhere between Bray and Kilternan with still 20km to go. Bad times, felt like I was going to drop at any moment. Worst of all, I passed my house with 2km to go so I gritted my teeth and continued down the road 1km, then turned back happy out. Uploaded the file to Strava and of course I still had 160m to go! Bah, I don't need that stinkin' virtual badge anyway.

strava.c om/activities/211468750

129.84km, 1100m @ 26.5km/h

I'd lose sleep over that 160m.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement