Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

maybe try cycling in a group sooner rather than later.

Orwell winter spins starting tomorrow morning from Dundrum. How's that for 'sooner'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

fiacha wrote: »
    Define attacking.. Is the dog biting you , or just chasing the bike and being aggressive ?

If you have been bitten, call 999 there and then. Otherwise report it to the dog warden.
    Also, send a letter to the owner explaining the situation. Not confrontational and it shows the Gardai / Warden that you have tried to notify the owner directly.

Having a dog running at you and snapping isn't fun, but if it wanted to "attack" you it would be biting.

The only reason I didn't get bit is because I was going fast and swerved every time he lunged for my legs. He shouldn't be loose on a main road end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The_Sub wrote: »
    41K in the Killarney adventure 60K race. The climb through the black valley to Molls Gap was just savage but the views and descent made it worth it. The run up Torq was just torture though. Delighted I did it though and will do it again next year.

Well done to everyone who took part,I had the pleasure of been involved as a steward,great stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

260km from Connemara to Dublin via Sally Gap at 28.2km/h average. Mostly on back roads.

The biggest challenge (bar the 10 hours of cycling!) is navigation. Forgot to download the OS maps on my old iPhone - plus I forgot how to turn on the GPS function. Works perfectly when it's set up right! If in doubt, just head west!

http://www.strava.com/activities/203246596

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Real stinker of a day, but enjoyed my ride a lot despite the heavy rain and wind. I don't usually fancy the wet days at all, but hadn't been out at all this week so had to get out for a quick spin down to Kilmore and back. Makes a big difference if it starts raining 4/5 minutes after the start, rather than as soon as you step out the door. I must sort out some new overshoes if I'm going to ride much this winter, as my feet were the only part of me that got really cold. Not much to see out on the road today, in fairness you wouldn't put a dog out in that weather.

http://www.strava.com/activities/203508310/analysis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

60 km in charity spin, controlled pace bar a 15 km section they let us go before regrouping for finish. Strava somehow decided the cycle in and home didn't warrant inclusion so did another 20ish km on top of that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Wind... WTF...Haven't seen you for ages and that's the way you treat me? No point giving me a push on the way home when you've blown the goodness out of me on the way out.
    Not really cold, but there was a freshness about it all the same. At least I made it home just before the rain started.
    Longwood - Newbridge, cuppa tea at the brothers house - Longwood
    87.7 km in 3:17:13 @ 26.7kmh
    http://www.strava.com/activities/203566344

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭furiousox

Charity spin from Duleek to Trim, Summerhill, Dunsany, Skryne and back.
    Excellent marshalling, flattish route and the weather was fine (amazingly)
    95km door to door.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

313km + 4300m of fun filled hills on the Antrim 300.

http://www.strava.com/activities/203686364

Apart from a nip in the air early morning & late evening, and a headwind on the exposed North coast, the weather was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Werk meant I couldn't get out for a proper spin this weekend, finished up at about 1530 today and the weather looked uninviting so I decided the time was nigh for a long pondered offroad adventure for my trusty beater Wolfgang Beaterson (All Gadetra's fault...) tried to spin a decent speed on the way there but as usual Motorists love to hug the left of the lane so I lost a lot of potential high cadence time by having to wait for them to leave some space somewhere on the road.

When I got to the park in SPD offroad shoes lycra, helmet and glasses, I saw a guy in a Tshirt and Jeans on a real MTB drop down the side of the Magazine Fort hill like a rocket and casually check his e-mail or something for the bottom half of the descent.

Immediately cowed I decided to climb up the other side and do some relatively level trails, barely made it up the hill without clipping out, a small rise at the top and some bollards and I cracked and unclipped so I could stuff my lungs back inside my chest and then pootled along a bit on the forest trails before finding a nice little baby descent and bump, I was a bit too nervous at times although most of the downhill bits felt like I was rolling down on a sled so not a problem, I chickened out on the steep drop down opposite the magazine fort facing towards the river and a few steep climbs I had to hop off and run to the top.

Definitely a handy fitness booster, improving without an easily droppable seatpost (Wolfgang is a Mid 90s budget MTB with 14 & 15mm bolts on everything) won't be easy but I definitely feel like I gained more fitness wise than I would have in the same time on the roadbike plus I do laps of the park so many mornings now I'd have felt a bit **** doing it again for my 'big weekend spin'.

Will work harder next time, but enjoyable nonetheless.

http://www.strava.com/activities/203728487

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Wedding anniversary this weekend (today - 13 years but I'm not the superstitious type, yet :D) so time was sort of limited. I couldn't get out on the bike yesterday with commitment to kids sports, etc.

I went out with Mrs. crosstownk yesterday evening for dinner and beers but managed to be in bed by 11pm. There's more to an early bird menu than saving money ;).

I got out on the bike this morning as the good lady slept on and I managed to get 50km in before dinner with the outlaws. My legs have been feeling tired these last few weeks but seemed to be up for it today. It was pity I hadn't more time available - 20 or 30km more would have been nice.

It was chilly and breezy out the Tallaght Bypass but I warmed up after 5km or so but I felt the chill again as I pedaled Lisheens to Manor Kilbride.

50km out to Blessington and back - 27.2km/h, 314m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭G1032

ror_74 wrote: »
    313km + 4300m of fun filled hills on the Antrim 300.

http://www.strava.com/activities/203686364

Apart from a nip in the air early morning & late evening, and a headwind on the exposed North coast, the weather was grand.

Wow. Incredible. There are a few on here I've noticed can do spins like this. Smacl, Wishbone Ash, ford2600, Seweryn, Miclin Muc and I know there are several other riders also which I can't remember now?? I think I have them names correct.
    It always amazes me the distances you travel.

I'm out injured now with a banjaxed right knee and I keep coming back to this thread and thinking I want to get out on the bike! I get very jealous seeing tales of these long spins!!

It was only this year I managed my first 100km and then my first 100 miles.
    My goal, whether realistic or not will be to travel across country from Mayo to Meath. I've a 240km cycle in mind and need much training over the winter but I can only imagine the sense of achievement it would bring.

Anyway, well done on an epic cycle. I can only dream at the moment, but maybe one day I'll do a 2 or 3 hundred km spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Bit of a meander today. Started off up to Blessington, however it started to rain after climbing to Crooksling, so I high tailed it back down and stuck closer to home. I wimped out, just wasn't in the mood for a soaking.

51.2km at 27.2kph
    http://www.strava.com/activities/203588737

G1032 wrote: »
    Wow. Incredible. There are a few on here I've noticed can do spins like this. Smacl, Wishbone Ash, ford2600, Seweryn, Miclin Muc and I know there are several other riders also which I can't remember now?? I think I have them names correct.
    It always amazes me the distances you travel.

I'm out injured now with a banjaxed right knee and I keep coming back to this thread and thinking I want to get out on the bike! I get very jealous seeing tales of these long spins!!

It was only this year I managed my first 100km and then my first 100 miles.
    My goal, whether realistic or not will be to travel across country from Mayo to Meath. I've a 240km cycle in mind and need much training over the winter but I can only imagine the sense of achievement it would bring.

Anyway, well done on an epic cycle. I can only dream at the moment, but maybe one day I'll do a 2 or 3 hundred km spin!

A lot of commuting, a bit of madness, no kids and a very understanding wife helps. I started cycling properly 10 months ago, doing 25km per day, gradually started commuting both ways, and then started taking the longer hillier route. I now do 60km+ five days a week. I don't think there's any magic to it, just get out on the bike as often as possible, even for just an hour at a time. There's definitely a sense of achievement and it's worth all the hard miles!

EDIT: Yesterday's spin was only my fifth ever spin over 100km ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Cheers, no bother to you at all. Just keep turning the pedals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Heh, I still dream of a 300k+ myself, having only done a handful over 200. Then I read about some of the audaxers such as _cdaly's and namelessphil's 600k and even 1200k spins and I'm reminded with no small amount of awe what is actually possible. I reckon the undercarriage would be more of an issue for me than the legs, and a comfy seat and the right clothes make the main difference in adding extra miles onto the end of a long day. And the sheer bloodymindedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Lots of debris on the roads this morning , first time having to wear the bib tights this year. Oblig winter is coming....Legs still tired after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭G1032

smacl wrote: »
    Heh, I still dream of a 300k+ myself, having only done a handful over 200. Then I read about some of the audaxers such as _cdaly's and namelessphil's 600k and even 1200k spins and I'm reminded with no small amount of awe what is actually possible. I reckon the undercarriage would be more of an issue for me than the legs, and a comfy seat and the right clothes make the main difference in adding extra miles onto the end of a long day. And the sheer bloodymindedness.

And getting the time to do it!!!! Baby 2 on the way next spring!! Might not be a whole lot of time to do 20km let alone 200!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3550356,-6.2463155,3a,40.5y,194.6h,81.69t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1UhfJvBOpIKNEirssNVgIg!2e0?hl=en

Coming into town this morning and the light goes green (the filter light to turn left stays red)
    About four in front of me take off and I'm a little slow off the blocks to leave enough space for a taxi driver to cut in front of me and nearly take my front wheel.
    He doesn't stop for that but for the pedestrians crossing (they have green)

I tap politely* on his window and inform him that the filter was red.
    "Then why are you going left?"
    "I'm going straight on you fine upstanding member of the community**"

* may have been more gently than politely
    ** or words to that effect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Just looking back with memory at my spins this year. I had no punctures that I remember for about 12k km or more. After the Saturday ride with ford2600 I found a very slow air leak in the rear wheel and got the tube replaced straight away yesterday (there was a tiny metal residue that punctured the tube and caused the air leak, possibly from the rim manufacturing process, as there was no puncture in the tyre).

Anyway, went off on my commute this morning with the new tube at the back ready for another 12k km, but hit a rock after covering just about 12km and punctured the new tube as a result of the impact. Then found out that my hand pump can no longer pump any air due to the cylinder/seals wear, so I had to wait on the side of the road for a new pump to arrive so I could finish the repair and continue my journey.
    Still, quite happy at the end, for some reason... :).

• Advertisement

Same this morning for me - about 7000km without a puncture and then a slow leak overnight thanks to a dodgy valve.

Wasted two CO2 cartridges before calling a taxi which arrived 50 minutes later. Arrived at work 2 mins late minus €25 and two CO2 cartridges. Time for new tubes too!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Pedestrians were just out to get me this morning. Stepping off the path without a look despite being on a busy road with traffic in motion. And another ped stepping off the path to open a Taxi door, far far too close this morning. Completely oblivious.

Asides from that I was glad to see the weather clear this morning, but there was some amount of debris to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'll make it a hat trick of those with tube problems this morning,I didn't even make it out of the shed without having to replace a tube,decided to top up the air & the tube ripped at the valve,new tube in (thanks to whoever posted the deal Halfords have on tubes atm). Set about pumping it up & my pump decided to give up the ghost.:(

Had it at about half the pressure I needed so my LBS sorted me out & I eventually got on the road.The main roads were fine but when I went on the back roads after deciding to take in a nice long climb then the job of avoiding storm debris became my focus.Still,nice to be back in the saddle after nearly a weeks break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Had planned to wimp out today. I did a hard enough session over Howth yesterday. Woke up to find someone had thrown a load of trees all over the Northside dart lines. My jelly legs just about got me in - at least the wind was well less than forecast. Going home now so hope the legs have recovered a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Quick hill loop up Cruagh across to the viewing point and back down by the hell fire. Trying out new dynamo lighting setup on my audax bike. Happy enough descending safely at 50km/h with the light up front.

http://www.strava.com/activities/204612078

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Winter is a pain. Its been very windy most of the year but with a drop in temp really beginning to feel it. Did a reverse of my usual loop. Good spin with a decent slog for the last 10km of so

45km @28.6km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Had planned to wimp out today. I did a hard enough session over Howth yesterday. Woke up to find someone had thrown a load of trees all over the Northside dart lines. My jelly legs just about got me in - at least the wind was well less than forecast. Going home now so hope the legs have recovered a bit.

Woke up to that too, and thought "screw the buses, I'll cycle in, sure it's only a short one". I evidently didn't think it through, as it was only the second time on the bike since breaking my collarbone, and given the amount of wet leaves and other debris on the side of the road, I arrived (safely) into work (about 15 mins later than it would normally take me on the bike) a complete nervous wreck.. :o going home was fine though... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Might be worth a thread if there are similar roundabouts out there.

Anyway, the approaches to - and indeed the exits from - the roundabout on the way into Celbridge from either Leixlip or Maynooth is lethal for roadbikes at the moment.

The council recently laid down that anti-ice//skid pebble dash type surface on all sides of the roundabout. Unfortunaltely, it has crumble to a fine sand-like substance that has scattered into the roundabout itself. I only found this out last Friday, though I was fine getting through. However, it is very slippery especially with the recent wet weather. Doesn't feel too grippy either going around it in a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Cycling home after my night shift yesterday. Took a corner only to my horror the road was covered in mud from a field entrance so I went down hard! Two broken bones in my hand and some brushing to my hip and shoulder. .....and ego!,
    Only had a look at my helmet a while ago, it's cracked in 3 places!
    Just got called for surgery now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Might be worth a thread if there are similar roundabouts out there.

Anyway, the approaches to - and indeed the exits from - the roundabout on the way into Celbridge from either Leixlip or Maynooth is lethal for roadbikes at the moment.

The council recently laid down that anti-ice//skid pebble dash type surface on all sides of the roundabout. Unfortunaltely, it has crumble to a fine sand-like substance that has scattered into the roundabout itself. I only found this out last Friday, though I was fine getting through. However, it is very slippery especially with the recent wet weather. Doesn't feel too grippy either going around it in a car!

That stuff is a disgrace. It's just not fit for purpose, why do they insist on continuing with it. All the suburban ramps built with it as a top have had to be replaced. Amazing. If it was a decision made in a private industry heads would have rolled

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement