Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The_Sub wrote: »
    Almost hit by a taxi on the way home, closest I've ever been to getting knocked down. Gave me a good fright and the reason I got the helmet cam for the evening traffic. Cup of tea to calm the nerves now.

Was the camera running?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Didn't have much time today so decided to tackle Kilmashogue for the first time in a long time. Nearly f$%&Ing died and shocked how out of shape I've become over the last year. Had to unclip and put the feet down twice on the way up, and felt totally shattered at the top. Vague plans of a couple of repeats were completely abandoned, and really need to re-think weight and fitness levels. On the plus side, Cruagh will feel like a speed bump again for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

smacl wrote: »
    really need to re-think weight and fitness levels.

It might be purely weight and not fitness. You could be really fit and struggle to get up that climb if you're carrying extra weight.

Doesn't help much but hey, look on the bright side, you might still be pretty fit. You do a lot of long distance cycles, hard to believe that you aren't!

quozl wrote: »
    It might be purely weight and not fitness. You could be really fit and struggle to get up that climb if you're carrying extra weight.

Doesn't help much but hey, look on the bright side, you might still be pretty fit. You do a lot of long distance cycles, hard to believe that you aren't!

Cheers. I've been wimping out of the steeper ramps a bit this year and have also put on a few pounds. I need to include a large can of HTFU next time I'm ordering stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd a day off work today so I took off and did 53km to Brittas and out by the firing range. My legs were quite tired today for some reason and just refused to do anything.

53km @ 24.6km/h (damn legs) 460m.

Great weather today despite it being a small bit breezy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

RainyDay wrote: »
    Was the camera running?

yes caught the whole thing plus my verbal response...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

First time posting here, I've always been meaning to but never got around to it!

Yesterday I cycled from my estate to Phoenix Park (just short of 2k), then after work I went to Rialto (about 6k), then onto UCD through Ranelagh (about 8k), then all the way back to the house in Ashtown (12k). Approx 28km in total in the one day. As I'm normally just a commuter and would cycle 10k maximum, I was quite proud of myself! :pac:

Grand cycle overall except for one asshole driver who tried to undertake in the middle of Ranelagh village - without looking - and pushed me up against the kerb and nearly knocked me off the bike. Drove off as if he did nothing wrong. Another cyclist was coming up behind and asked if I was okay. To say I was angry would be an understatement.

Cycled another 20k today as I had to go to Baggot street. Cycling in the heart of the city for the first time went a lot better than expected, even at rush hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Day 5 of cycling to work. ( spent the last nine tears in a company van, didn't cyckecibce during that time )

I've about a 35km round trip from Killiney to ballsbridge. Came back the coast road which meant u had to tackle killiney hill. Was impressed that I made IT up. Lots of fun coming down.

Going to try and do a long spin at the weekend maybe up to round wood.

I've been wearing regular shorts, after walking like john Wayne every day in the work for the past 5 days I ordered some cycling shorts from decathlon ( and some spare tubes and water cage)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ted1 wrote: »
    Day 5 of cycling to work. ( spent the last nine tears in a company van, didn't cyckecibce during that time )

I've about a 35km round trip from Killiney to ballsbridge. Came back the coast road which meant u had to tackle killiney hill. Was impressed that I made IT up. Lots of fun coming down.

Going to try and do a long spin at the weekend maybe up to round wood.

I've been wearing regular shorts, after walking like john Wayne every day in the work for the past 5 days I ordered some cycling shorts from decathlon ( and some spare tubes and water cage)

Well done :)

I'd advise chopping your credit card up now, before you get the "bug"

I took the handy route into work this morning as I left late and for some reason* was exhausted on the way home. The first 7/8 kms home were quite tough :/ I think my caffeine drink stuff (probably cancerous according to my missus) got me home. 11.6 in and 17.3 home.

I should probably drive into work tomorrow.

But...

...Bleedin' Strava and it's bleedin 1969 Challenge :( I'll be in a heap :D

*Staying up late watching sh1te like The Strain and getting up and 5am.

I think my caffeine drink stuff (probably cancerous according to my missus) got me home.

From the same woman that wanted to apply a poultice to your swollen finger....?

Stick to the caffeine drink stuff :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Another after dark spin on one of my usual routes, darkness certainly heightens your awareness.
    1st of October and the average temp on the spin has dropped 4degrees, my big toe was numb when I got home. Time to invest in some winter gear.
    My missus was late for her "Mammy's Camogie" game, I forgot the time, it will probably be all picture no sound when she gets home.
    30.9km at 27.4kph
    http://www.strava.com/activities/202011013

PrismES wrote: »
    My missus was late for her "Mammy's Camogie" game, I forgot the time, it will probably be all picture no sound when she gets home.
    30.9km at 27.4kph

It's not your fault that you punctured ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smacl wrote: »
    Didn't have much time today so decided to tackle Kilmashogue ... .... Had to unclip and put the feet down twice...
    The only thing that keeps me moving there is that I won't get unclipped before the bike begins rolling back!
    crosstownk wrote: »
    It's not your fault that you punctured ;)
    The trick is to ring ahead if you know you're running late and say that you've just 'punctured' and may be delayed. Saying it when you arrive home just sounds like an excuse. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Another after dark spin on one of my usual routes, darkness certainly heightens your awareness.
    1st of October and the average temp on the spin has dropped 4degrees, my big toe was numb when I got home. Time to invest in some winter gear.
    30.9km at 27.4kph

Hi PrismES,

I'm new to this lark. Used to do a bit of jogging but at 46 and 96kg (183cm) my left knee packed in so my jogging days are over and my cycling days are commencing.

I recently bought a road bike and the requisite clothing and I started doing 20km to 30km spins in the summer evenings eg from near Stillorgan Luas (where I live) to Enniskerry which I really enjoyed but I've been on crutches for the last 6 weeks following an operation to repair my knee and I should be back on the bike again in a couple weeks. The problem I have is figuring out what early morning (6.15am) or evening routes to do as both will be in the dark. My preference is to stick to well lit roads rather than venture out into the country roads even though I'll have good front and back lights myself. Is that what most people training in the dark early morning or evenings do?

The route you did this evening runs close to where I live and is the type of weekday spin I'd like do. Would you recommend it? I'd like to identify some routes which are well lit and allow as much of a continuous run possible ie not traffic lights every few hundred meters.

Appreciate any advice you can give me.

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi PrismES,

I'm new to this lark. Used to do a bit of jogging but at 46 and 96kg (183cm) my left knee packed in so my jogging days are over and my cycling days are commencing.

I recently bought a road bike and the requisite clothing and I started doing 20km to 30km spins in the summer evenings eg from near Stillorgan Luas (where I live) to Enniskerry which I really enjoyed but I've been on crutches for the last 6 weeks following an operation to repair my knee and I should be back on the bike again in a couple weeks. The problem I have is figuring out what early morning (6.15am) or evening routes to do as both will be in the dark. My preference is to stick to well lit roads rather than venture out into the country roads even though I'll have good front and back lights myself. Is that what most people training in the dark early morning or evenings do?

The route you did this evening runs close to where I live and is the type of weekday spin I'd like do. Would you recommend it? I'd like to identify some routes which are well lit and allow as much of a continuous run possible ie not traffic lights every few hundred meters.

Appreciate any advice you can give me.

BenEadir,
    I like this route, it opens a few of possibilities on route depending on how your spin is going.
    Yes, I would recommend it, the only dodgy part was Whitechurch Road from the roundabout to College Road, not great street lighting, however its a very quite road with a good surface, you do need a decent front light to see the few speed bumps though.

I started cycling in June this year, I was looking for something low impact to get me fit (44 and 97kg), I've dropped 16kg since then and feel great.

The trick is to ring ahead if you know you're running late and say that you've just 'punctured' and may be delayed. Saying it when you arrive home just sounds like an excuse. ;)
    Every thing was kosher on her return. She's been very supportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

BenEadir,
    I like this route, it opens a few of possibilities on route depending on how your spin is going.
    Yes, I would recommend it, the only dodgy part was Whitechurch Road from the roundabout to College Road, not great street lighting, however its a very quite road with a good surface, you do need a decent front light to see the few speed bumps though.

I started cycling in June this year, I was looking for something low impact to get me fit (44 and 97kg), I've dropped 16kg since then and feel great.

Thanks PrismES,

Appreciate the feedback. I'd be happy with half the weightloss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

First commute on my 'commuting bike' in 3 months and first proper ride on it since fitting a new chain, hanger, RD and cables, only to find the chain skips under load on a lot of the cassette. Time for a new cassette I think.
    I only took this bike today as it has mudguards and I got soaked yesterday as the mount bracket for my raceblades snapped off of the other bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Had a lovely spin up around howth tonight from the sutton side. Took the 1st climb up by the golf club a bit enthusiastically and was huffing and puffing like a good thing by the old cemetery. Great free wheel down into the village and tailwind back home. Saw a large group of cyclists stopped for coffee at il panorama. September/october really is a bad time of the year to be rediscovering the fun of being on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Got out early this morning, was out the door at 0626 headed up to Cruagh, it was ferking froooozing when I left the house so I put in a fairly good pace as far as Edmonstown, managed to miss the Bin Lorries this time as well.

By the time I was passing that old factory type building opposite the golf club I had picked up a 40ft Lorry and decided, despite my allergy to hill start- clip ins in road shoes to do the the decent thing and not make him stay behind me all the way up the hill.

Imagine my dismay when the lorry passed and about 20m later turned left into the Golf Club and disappeared, huffed and puffed up fueled only by an Apple I'd had before leaving the house and made it as far as the last ramp before the first bridge before stopping for a casual puke. Couldn't get clipped in again so one leg pushed-stopped-started for an embarrassing 15-20m until I got to the Bridge itself and got going properly again. It was just getting light as I pootled along past the Cruagh wood carpark and it was pretty sweet to be up there alone watching the city get its sun on.

Went straight down the other side at the viewpoint and was even more conservative than usual as I really didn't know what to expect from the braking surfaces on my shiny new Scirroccos.

There was little to no traffic, although the cars that came oncoming demured to dip their headlights even though it was already bright out, got passed by a lovely broaaad vintage car that sounded like a WW1 fighter getting warmed up and saw a miracle, a taxi driver stopped dangerously on a bend just before the turn off left for Tallaght to drop off a fare, who evidently realised the error of his ways and moved to a more suitable spot.

Traffic had materialised in earnest by the time I got back into Rathfarnham and it got a bit crap from there but my most notable moment was travelling in the right hand side of the bus lane towards Harold's cross waiting for my opportunity to get into the centre lane to turn right at the bridge when I passed the entrance to the Hospice I saw a woman stopped waiting to cross into the hospice between two cars in the centre lane, carefully peering through the windows of the car to her left waiting for me to pass safely.

I immediately thought to myself, if she'd been a typical Irish driver she'd have nosed out expecting the waters to part and I'd be going over her bonnet at 40kph....sobering.

http://www.strava.com/activities/202454189

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

First time up the full Kilmashogue lane. You were right guys, after the carpark (where I usually turn left) is where the fun begins!

The last climb is simply brutal. Kept thinking to myself - just make it to the bend, a few meters more, its going to be flatter... but it wasn't. My foot touched the tarmac. Only for like 15s, but cheating is cheating. Good excuse to come back and do it in one go!

12:08 bridge to top, not too bad methinks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Been eyeing up this downhill for a while, 1 second off, killer.

http://www.strava.com/segments/1108028?filter=overall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

After I uploaded my Garmin tonight, I found I'd knocked 13 sec off a segment I wasn't really aware of on the way to work this morning and am now KOM on! :) and with a skipping chain!

http://app.strava.com/activities/202429676

Bloody windy spin tonight. Home to Lucan and back. Had a head wind on the way back nearly stopped me dead, and crossing the bridge over the Naas road I was nearly blown over.
    An election poster was blown across the road about 10m ahead of me approaching the N81 near the swimming pool in Tallaght, should it have hit me would the candidate be at fault?
    Also seen a guy carrying a dead rabbit, road kill maybe :eek:

Anybody else having trouble with Garmin Connect tonight?

40km at 27.6kph
    http://www.strava.com/activities/202432696

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Alek wrote: »
    First time up the full Kilmashogue lane. You were right guys, after the carpark (where I usually turn left) is where the fun begins!

The last climb is simply brutal. Kept thinking to myself - just make it to the bend, a few meters more, its going to be flatter... but it wasn't. My foot touched the tarmac. Only for like 15s, but cheating is cheating. Good excuse to come back and do it in one go!

That's a great time especially for the first time and not knowing the lay of the road. I've done it plenty of times and my best is 13.23.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

neris wrote: »
    September/october really is a bad time of the year to be rediscovering the fun of being on the bike

There is never a bad time.

There is never a bad time.

Sometimes getting out on a really crap day can be bizarrely invigorating. Just a matter of wearing the right gear.

That's a great time especially for the first time and not knowing the lay of the road. I've done it plenty of times and my best is 13.23.:o

Didn't time myself on it earlier this week, but I'd guess you could safely add five minutes to that. After the car park, the cateye was showing between 7 and 8kph on the ramps. Brute of a climb and not my favourite descent either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Alek wrote: »

Jaysus! My only time up Kilmashogue lane, I had to stop and gasp halfway up. I met a runner at the top. He'd done the climb faster than I had! :eek:

Then I watched a lad ride up it on a fixie... :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement