Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

My daughter is down with her grand parents and my wife is working these couple of nights and i was off so only one thing for it, no one to be at home for so get out on the bike and try my longest spin to date http://www.strava.com/activities/130486057 did the first 60 odd k with some clubmates on an early bird training spin @6;15am and just went from there, windy enough but otherwise a great day on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Mother of God fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Last week, Monday to Sunday (Strava week) 208km commuting.
    So far this strava week 108km.
    460 for April.
    638 and 50% of the Specialized Spring Classics Challenge done.

Keep extending the commute and now I am up at 5:30am.

I'm a Strava be_atch.

Nearly totalled this morning too.

meh.

The video doesn't do it justice. If it weren't for my brakes and bmx'like turning right I was head on into the side of the car.

He didn't "come from nowhere". I could see clearly the car coming from my left at the entry point. You can't see it in the video though. But I try and be ready for the "unexpected", which this was.

He was stunned. Shocked. Didn't see me at all even though I was bright orange. A cyclist following me even commented it to me at the next set of lights.
    Lord knows where the drivers head was. The more I thought about it the more I hoped it wasn't somewhere bad :/

I used bad language :(

Need new wide view camera.

Still loving cycling.

Deleted yuuuutube****e stabilising. You can see the bonnet of the car now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Phuck yih.

Prick.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Sickled into work this morning Dunboyne to Ballyfermot, gorgeous morning coming through the park...

Uphill most of the way home but sure ain't I alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

53km today in 2 hours 20.
    Stillorgan - Phoenix Park - Castleknock - Lucan - O2 - East Link - Sandymount - Stillorgan.

215km for the week so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

not yet wrote: »
    Sickled into work this morning ....
    New word for when one sets out to commute to work but decides to ring in sick and keep cycling! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Did my usual mid spin last night of 35k around Lismore and once again nearly became the meat in a car sandwich.
    Yet again, a lady motorist (no disrespect) chose to overtake me on a blind corner and not wait 10 seconds till I had rounded the bend and then use the next 100m of straight road!!!
    And has happened before, a car appeared against her on the bend.....I saw the whites of his eyes as he couldn't believe what he saw swinging round on his side of the road....He mounted the grass verge and missed her car by inches, as it was too late to break...
    She just drove on but did give ME a stare from her rear view mirror..I hope she could lip read cause my language was pretty raw!!!..
    That's the 4th time this scenario has happened to me in the last year...why do drivers insist on waiting to a cyclist gets to the bend before overtaking them...
    Deep breaths....i'm chilled now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

Lovely day for it today. From allenwood up to blessington for lunch and back home. 64km. The missus came too so I can't be accused of not spending time with her.

Might throw in a lap around the lakes tomorrow to make it a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭nilhg

lismore7 wrote: »
    Did my usual mid spin last night of 35k around Lismore and once again nearly became the meat in a car sandwich.
    Yet again, a lady motorist (no disrespect) chose to overtake me on a blind corner and not wait 10 seconds till I had rounded the bend and then use the next 100m of straight road!!!
    And has happened before, a car appeared against her on the bend.....I saw the whites of his eyes as he couldn't believe what he saw swinging round on his side of the road....He mounted the grass verge and missed her car by inches, as it was too late to break...
    She just drove on but did give ME a stare from her rear view mirror..I hope she could lip read cause my language was pretty raw!!!..
    That's the 4th time this scenario has happened to me in the last year...why do drivers insist on waiting to a cyclist gets to the bend before overtaking them...
    Deep breaths....i'm chilled now.....

Keep out yourself, don't let them by,

http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/cyclists-why-do-they-ride-in-the-middle-of-the-road-_62617

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

cycleoin86 wrote: »
    I hope you were cheering on City... otherwise that's unforgivable :)

I was hoping both of them were beaten as I'm an Arsenal supporter ... but mostly an ABU leaning heavily towards becoming an ABC :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

61km up along the NCD coastline and back. Winds were a bit fierce and I had two mechanicals that slowed me down, but all in, it was great.

It was my longest yet, but nothing holding me back from 80km.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Second time ever up to Sally Gap today. Climb via Stocking Lane and decent via Kilbride/Brittas, working out as just over 100km door to door. I usually stick to Naul and Howth if I want to do some climbing, but fancied something further afield. It was a bit nippy, and there was a headwind from the viewpoint to the crossroads, but other than that it was a nice spin.

The last time I went up that way (last July) I had to stop a couple of times before I reached the viewpoint (I blame the heatwave we had at the time :p), but I was able to keep going today. I don't know why I didn't make it back up between then and now, hopefully it won't be another 9 months before I venture up again :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Finally got my bike back a week after I left it in.

To be fair the bike is in great nick now.

22km commute from the bike. Great feeling passing all the traffic !

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Galway to Meath - 210k, 28.5 avg, just over 1000m climbing - yawn - bedtime

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Same 22km spin as I've done a few times before (laps of Regent's Park, starting and finishing at home in Archway). Slotted into a group of girls that were cycling at around my pace and had a great chat, turned out they were Irish too and was able to get some tips from one of them about the tri I'm doing in August. Quite a small world at times :)

Absolutely gorgeous evening for it too, lovely and sunny and warm, very comfortable in a short sleeved jersey and shorts. Long may it continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Absolutely gorgeous evening for it too, lovely and sunny and warm, very comfortable in a short sleeved jersey and shorts. Long may it continue!

'twas the same here. I think I actually got a little sunburned.

I did 23km and cycled my hardest and fastest. So I've decided tomorrow I'm going to take it easier and go for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

cycled home in shorts for the first time by night this year, really mild in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Nearly totalled this morning too.

meh.

The video doesn't do it justice. If it weren't for my brakes and bmx'like turning right I was head on into the side of the car.

He didn't "come from nowhere". I could see clearly the car coming from my left at the entry point. You can't see it in the video though. But I try and be ready for the "unexpected", which this was.

He was stunned. Shocked. Didn't see me at all even though I was bright orange. A cyclist following me even commented it to me at the next set of lights.
    Lord knows where the drivers head was. The more I thought about it the more I hoped it wasn't somewhere bad :/

I used bad language :(

Need new wide view camera.

Still loving cycling.

Deleted yuuuutube****e stabilising. You can see the bonnet of the car now.

You cycled into the wrong lane? If he has seen you coming onto the roundabout and you are hugging the inside of the roundabout then he probably assumed you were taking the 3rd exit unless you indicated otherwise. Driver entering the roundabout should have been more patient but you were in the wrong to go from outside lane upon entering roundabout to inside lane then back to outside lane.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

45km in the wind. otherwise a nice morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

jive wrote: »
    You cycled into the wrong lane? If he has seen you coming onto the roundabout and you are hugging the inside of the roundabout then he probably assumed you were taking the 3rd exit unless you indicated otherwise. Driver entering the roundabout should have been more patient but you were in the wrong to go from outside lane upon entering roundabout to inside lane then back to outside lane.

I'd be the first to admit any fault but that is how every vehicle takes that roundabout. There are no lanes as such.

You'll just have to take my word for it. The guy just wasn't on the planet judging by his face, like had reall bad news on his mind and thus my original statement on it.

Sorry.. Just to add.. I'm a sap chicken cyclist who always indicates my intentions. Even going left or taking an exit off a roundabout.

Third cycle in six days last night. Given the weather, I had to get out in it!

* Saturday, 60kms home to Sally Gap to Lugalla to Enniskerry to Devils Elbow to the blue light for a pint and home. Average 20 kph.

* Monday 30km home to Glencullen up Cruagh Road and then left to come back down by Lamb Doyle's. Average 22.8 kph.

* Wednesday same 30km trip. Average 23.4 kph.

Am looking forward to break 100 km this Saturday, haven't gone for that long a spin this year yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Visited 10 Dublin City parks before work :D Phoenix, Tolka Valley, Addison, Albert College, St. Anne's, Lein, Mc Auley, Rockfield, Ellenfield and Santry Park. 35km, 24kmh average. A little bit more sun and it would be parkfect! :)

(forgot to start Garmin until 10km.... )

#1 - http://app.strava.com/routes/273959
    #2 - http://app.strava.com/activities/131093438

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'd be the first to admit any fault but that is how every vehicle takes that roundabout. There are no lanes as such.

The driver should have seen you and given you space, he was more at fault

BUT

just because half the country doesn't know how to use a roundabout doesn't mean you have to be one of them. There are no marked lanes on that roundabout but there is an inside and an outside lane, and you should only take the inside lane if you are turning right

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I rarely bitch about other cyclists but.. this morning i was across the UCD flyover, I had a green light and was going fast enough

He was cycling on the path :eek:
    He had no helmet on :eek:
    He didnt pay any attention to his surroundings:eek:
    Cycled across the road:eek:

Then bloody stopped right in my path (middle of the road as i'd moved out to overtake a stopped bus), the moron stopped to take his phone out :mad::mad:
    I missed him by a couple of inches

Dónal wrote: »
    Third cycle in six days last night. Given the weather, I had to get out in it!

* Saturday, 60kms home to Sally Gap to Lugalla to Enniskerry to Devils Elbow to the blue light for a pint and home. Average 20 kph.

* Monday 30km home to Glencullen up Cruagh Road and then left to come back down by Lamb Doyle's. Average 22.8 kph.

* Wednesday same 30km trip. Average 23.4 kph.

Am looking forward to break 100 km this Saturday, haven't gone for that long a spin this year yet.

What's the plan for Saturday?

120km: home, Sally Gap, Lacken, Wicklow Gap, Laragh, lunch, Sally Gap, pint, home. Mmm, hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

A commuting tale today Im afraid(are these ever good?). I have two routes I can take on my way home from work, One is safe but about 10 minutes longer, the other one is shorter but can be dangerous as it passes through some dodgy areas of the city. More often than not I'll take the longer route but last night I was in a bit of a rush to get home so I took the shorter one.
    So coming up cork st and onto the crumlin road via dolphins barn Im always on edge, I dont really relax until Im past Our lady's children hospital. There can be a lot of Bandits out and about hanging around street corners and I've seen them throw things at people going by, bikes, cars, buses, pedestrians. On two occasions I've had objects thrown at me from the side of the road and one night I came across a cyclist who had just had a glass bottle thrown at his head.........by two teenage girls. Anyway I was coming up near the coombe when I spotted a massive peleton up ahead coming my way. My first thought was that there was a charity cycle going on, but then I realised not one of them had a light or high vis gear on. There was about 60 of them and thats no exaggeration. They were cycling along and throwing good sized rocks at anybody who happened to be out and about at the time. I had two rocks thrown at my head, both missed. There was a guy just walking along the street and I saw him get hit in the arm as he used it to shield himself. They were headed towards town and God only knows what damage and harm they did, but it was scary because it seemed to be well organised which is disturbing to think about. No Garda presence anywhere, there never is on that route. Its crazy that sh1t like that goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Thats just a stone's throw away from where I live :eek:

On a serious note, this is very disturbing.

• Advertisement

Dónal wrote: »
    120km: home, Sally Gap, Lacken, Wicklow Gap, Laragh, lunch, Sally Gap, pint, home. Mmm, hills.

Nice. Doing something similar tomorrow. 4 days planned out for as much cycling as I can!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement