Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭furiousox

Dear wind
    So far in 2014 you seem to have mis-interpreted the phrase "may the wind be at your back" as "I'm going to be in your f...ing face all day mate".
    Please desist.
    Regards
    furiousox

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Cycled from Castleknock along the canal out to Kilcock and back 60k in total with the wind against me on the way out and mainly on the way back home,First time that I done that distance since December last year going be sore tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Had my first race on Friday morning... a 19km out-and-back with-and-against the wind race. The start of the race was a bit haphazard, and before I knew we'd actually started, the guy who ultimately beat me by a couple of mins was well ahead and tucked in behind a fast group, leaving me flailing behind, more or less alone. I got stuck in and ended up really enjoying it, with the "hills" being pretty enjoyable... nice, high cadence had me slide past a couple of other participants before facing some awful wind.
    2nd place finish, and i'm already excited for the next one! Team Time Trial on May 2... :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/129042070

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

12 months ago I was told to retire from all sports due to a heart condition. Yesterday was my first proper cycle after getting the all clear. A tough headwind most of the way round, hurting but that good pain which will stand me in good stead for the year. Now planning sportives for the rest of the year given the buzz is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

112km.
    Naul & Howth hills.
    Longest spin ever for me.
    Getting better going up hills

https://www.strava.com/activities/129828173

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭micar

82km, from santry to Phoenix park and then off to Naul via blanch. Did a few hills the other side of Naul. Came back through Naul and around the Airport and back to Santry.

Windy around the airport.

Great spin. Really enjoyed getting back to the hills.

Had been getting pain on the top of the left leg. Moved the cleat up about 5mm which seems to have worked a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

furiousox wrote: »
    Dear wind
    So far in 2014 you seem to have mis-interpreted the phrase "may the wind be at your back" as "I'm going to be in your f...ing face all day mate".
    Please desist.
    Regards
    furiousox

Read something about this years ago - "When cycling, the wind is never with you. It's either against you or you are having a good day".

Had a bit of a good day today but for a lot less time than I hoped. Headed out to Trim from Dublin to get the pain over with early. Turned over to Bective Abbey and Scryne and the speed picked up but all the way back home from Ardcath on the R130, the following side wind turned into a side head wind. The joys of cycling:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭furiousox

90km sportive from Carrickmacross today.
    Headed across to Castlebellingham, Clogherhead, Dunleer, Ardee and back to Carrick.
    Well attended, nice route with rolling hills.
    Only issue was.....(see my earlier post above)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

1st ever 100k today. Dublin to far side of Carlow town via the N81. Commute to work tomorrow could be interesting. Feckin GPS shut down for 4k at 86k so I ended up doin 104k....... Which was nice.

Also the wind can feck right off

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Billycake

Late start but got 2.5hrs in anyway. 55km, 1.5km of climbing up to mount Teide national park and downhill all the way home. Fantastic to be in summer gear and warm weather again. I'm in Tenerife for a week btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Early start this morning considering I'd a few beers last night. I did 75km around Blessington Lakes and more importantly a good friend had his first day back in the saddle after a serious enough incident in January.

I met a lost soul in Brittas on the way back who was doing the Tour de Foothills :eek: He had followed me from Blessington as he assumed I was taking part! I pointed him back in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

Was supposed to do the TDF today but was sowing barley this morning so couldn't go, got out for a nice if breezy spin in the afternoon, one of the highlights was meeting a stoat coming down the road meeting me with a dead rat in its mouth, the rat was definitely bigger than it was.

Rest of the spin was uneventful, had a closeup look at the new wind turbines at Mt Lucas and after suffering in the breeze going out got a nice push home, and picked up a nice KOM just to leave a nice taste when I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Getting kms into the legs for the "Tour de Cure" in a few weeks time.
    Managed 103 km today and got some good hill climbs in Lismore, Clonmel and back to Lismore.
    Pleased with myself, as it's my longest spin to date and I've signed up for the 160k TDC on the 3rd.

Talking about wind...had the rare luxury of having it at my back on the last stage on the "Vee" assent.....oh what heaven...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭secman

Home- Killenagh - ballygarret- courtown- gorey - inch- arklow - hill of tara- Ballymoney-courtown- killenag - home. 70 km

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Ardee - Carrickmacross - Ballybay - Shercock - Kingscourt - Drumconrath - Dooley's Pub - Liverpool V City + 2 pints of Guinness - Ardee - home ... 100km - very breezy first half to Shercock ... first 100km so tired legs and back but ... happy to have done the first 100km of 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

ugsparky wrote: »
    Liverpool V City + 2 pints of Guinness -

I hope you were cheering on City... otherwise that's unforgivable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

crosstownk wrote: »

I met a lost soul in Brittas on the way back who was doing the Tour de Foothills :eek: He had followed me from Blessington as he assumed I was taking part! I pointed him back in the right direction.

By any chance was he on a white BH and sporting rugby socks?

A mate of mine got lost for a bit on the route and almost ended up in someone's house having followed him for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

By any chance was he on a white BH and sporting rugby socks?

A mate of mine got lost for a bit on the route and almost ended up in someone's house having followed him for a while.

I didn't pay too much attention but the bike was white. I can't say I noticed any rugby socks. I met him at the car park entrance at the Blue Gardenia and pointed out where he was/should be on the map he had in his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 2406r

13.04 - Blackrock (the dublin one) , dundrum (also in dublin) , enniskerry, the wall, long hill, luggala , sally gap, glenmacnass, laragh (coffee &cake:)) glenmacnass, sally gap, featherbeds, viewing point, glencullen, stepaside, blackrock. Very windy - felt easier to cycle uphill through glenmacnass than down hill! This is April ..I though that shetland pony weather would have stopped by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

First solo 1000m of climbing today. Also my first time up Sally Gap.

Maynooth, Celbridge, Athgoe, Steelstown, Sally Gap, Rathmore, Kill, Straffan, Maynooth.

Legs felt excellent today. First time in about 3 weeks that they have had energy in them as I've been fighting a cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Would you mid throwing up the strava for that if you have it? That sounds like a good route and quite near me too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Would you mid throwing up the strava for that if you have it? That sounds like a good route and quite near me too?

Here ya go.

http://www.strava.com/activities/130212764

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I did my longest cycle for the second time in a row again today. 22.6km and it's great to see that number growing, even if slowly: 2km longer than my last cycle. I went home to my parents for a few days last week and spent the weekend drinking (and recovering) so I hadn't been out for a week. I couldn't sleep last night but got a few hours from 6am to 10am after deciding a dawn cycle wasn't the best thing to attempt without some kip. I spent a couple of hours waking up and forced myself to go out and boy am I glad I did. Today was my most enjoyable cycle so far.

I tried that Garmin Virtual Partner thing on the first Strava segment, the Edge 500 isn't great for it and when it beep booped with a few hundred meters to go on the course telling me I hadn't beaten my time (by quite a way) I was disappointed. I was expecting the result as I knew I was cycling into a reasonably strong headwind when I had set my PB with a reasonably strong tailwind. I gave up on the Virtual Partner at that point and just concentrated on my cycle, which continued into a headwind for the next third of the ride.

I knew before setting out that I wanted to increase my distance from previous rides and I'm delighted I stuck to that. I didn't go as far as I intended as a nice turning point popped up (I will go past it the next time) but the cycle back that road, after doing the effort on the out route was superb. It's not a scenic route, the road isn't the worst but it isn't the best, however it is quite flat and traffic was light so I had no hassle from drivers. And with all that in mind, on that stretch of road I enjoyed my most pleasant bit of cycling this year.

I managed to get into a nice rhythm, I felt like my cadence was good with just enough resistance on the pedals and my speed was happily increasing. I wasn't struggling for breathe but I knew I wasn't on a pleasure cycle either. If I could continue that feeling persistently I don't think I'd ever stop: it was a simple joy to be cycling for those few minutes, just me, my bike and the road.

If I manage to build another 5/6/7km over the next week or two I'll finally be able to cycle the loop I had my eyes set on when I began. Then after that it's up a fairly steep climb on a detour from that route that goes past my parents house where I'll stop for a visit and to fill the water bottles.

And now I'm glad I ordered the second bidon cage (amongst other bits) this morning. It feels like I'm getting into the swing of things, even though that could entirely be the effects of the sun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I did my longest cycle for the second time in a row again today. 22.6km and it's great to see that number growing, even if slowly: 2km longer than my last cycle. I went home to my parents for a few days last week and spent the weekend drinking (and recovering) so I hadn't been out for a week. I couldn't sleep last night but got a few hours from 6am to 10am after deciding a dawn cycle wasn't the best thing to attempt without some kip. I spent a couple of hours waking up and forced myself to go out and boy am I glad I did. Today was my most enjoyable cycle so far.

I tried that Garmin Virtual Partner thing on the first Strava segment, the Edge 500 isn't great for it and when it beep booped with a few hundred meters to go on the course telling me I hadn't beaten my time (by quite a way) I was disappointed. I was expecting the result as I knew I was cycling into a reasonably strong headwind when I had set my PB with a reasonably strong tailwind. I gave up on the Virtual Partner at that point and just concentrated on my cycle, which continued into a headwind for the next third of the ride.

I knew before setting out that I wanted to increase my distance from previous rides and I'm delighted I stuck to that. I didn't go as far as I intended as a nice turning point popped up (I will go past it the next time) but the cycle back that road, after doing the effort on the out route was superb. It's not a scenic route, the road isn't the worst but it isn't the best, however it is quite flat and traffic was light so I had no hassle from drivers. And with all that in mind, on that stretch of road I enjoyed my most pleasant bit of cycling this year.

I managed to get into a nice rhythm, I felt like my cadence was good with just enough resistance on the pedals and my speed was happily increasing. I wasn't struggling for breathe but I knew I wasn't on a pleasure cycle either. If I could continue that feeling persistently I don't think I'd ever stop: it was a simple joy to be cycling for those few minutes, just me, my bike and the road.

If I manage to build another 5/6/7km over the next week or two I'll finally be able to cycle the loop I had my eyes set on when I began. Then after that it's up a fairly steep climb on a detour from that route that goes past my parents house where I'll stop for a visit and to fill the water bottles.

And now I'm glad I ordered the second bidon cage (amongst other bits) this morning. It feels like I'm getting into the swing of things, even though that could entirely be the effects of the sun. :D

Thanks for posting this! This is one of my favourite cycling-related posts in a while. Your enthusiasm is infectious!

I know how you feel about getting those initial km under your belt, and feeling comfortable doing them. I properly caught the cycling bug early this year and am increasing my capability week by week. Reaching and passing a distance target feels incredible, so I look forward to reading about you completing the loop you had your eyes set on :)

Kudos!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Did my extended commute this morning Rathfarnham - Santry via the coast road as far as Baldoyle.
    A yummy 32.5km and once you hit that cycle track on the coast road your troubles just melt away...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jabel wrote: »
    ....and once you hit that cycle track on the coast road your troubles just melt away begin - extended dog leads, cyclists 4 abreast, weaving runners, wandering walkers, sKateboarders, roller bladers, picnics, children on tricycles, lads playing football, confused OAP's etc. ...
    Fixed that post for you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Fixed that post for you! :D

I must look like a mean sonofabitch, no one comes near me:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

A tremendously satisfying ride in the sunshine for my half day spin today.

54km around Knocknarea and I managed to keep up a 25kmph average until the last hill before home, despite my own personal headwind that seemed to keep me company all afternoon.

Even more pleasing, I edged into the top 25% of a few of the KOM segments of the route today (though on average, I sit just in the bottom half) so I'm making progress.

Treated myself to a pint in the last beer garden before home. Which has nothing to do with my slowness on the last climb. Honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

140km today. Slightly more than I wanted due to a road closure. Diverted up an unknown road which led me onto a 1.8km climb avg grade 7.4. Tough after 120km. Total elev gain today was 1400m. My biggest gain and my longest ride!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne-ashbourne-finglas Dunboyne.

Such a pleasure to be out and about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement