Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Is Jason Doherty still out anyone know?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is Jason Doherty still out anyone know?

I THINK I heard he has a different injury now.

So COC is making good progress, Conroy is on the way back, Moran & Dillion getting the fitness right, so they are all lining up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yop totally agree with your sentiments.
    Regardless of his health the guys presence or absences from a Mayo game will not affect me.
    As I said I thought he was a bit of a tool, an attention seeker and his banners were not even funny.
    I hope he lives to see multiple AI titles for Mayo.

Well the guy was a supporter and a dedicated one. Fair play to him. I think there are some bigger tools sprouting crap on this form.. mayo this and mayo that.. blowing up an ego, playing it off as confidence when all they are doing is kissing their own jewels.. people in glass houses and throwing stones come to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

yop wrote: »
    I THINK I heard he has a different injury now.

So COC is making good progress, Conroy is on the way back, Moran & Dillion getting the fitness right, so they are all lining up nicely.

From watching both Letrim-London games, COC should want nothing to do with London. They may not be the fittest panel in the country but they have plenty of strong men and will crash into his shoulder at any opportunity, as any team with half a brain will.

If he is dead-set on taking the risk I don't think this is the place to do it. For his sake I hope he only gets 10-15 minutes and not an actual start as has been suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Syferus wrote: »
    From watching both Letrim-London games, COC should want nothing to do with London. They may not be the finest panel in the country but they have plenty of strong men on the panel and will crash into his shoulder at any opportunity, as any team with half a brain will.

If he is dead-set on taking the risk I don't think this is the place to do it. For his sake I hope he only gets 10-15 minutes and not an actual start as has been suggested.
    your right no point is playing him at all if he get one bad wallop in to the sholder he will be gone.
    tickets are on sale today for the final,some one asked the last day where they where out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I wouldn't follow the club championship as closely as the rest of ye lads, but is there anything that could possibly be done about the alarming amount of players that are coming back from club games injured? Obviously the club championship is important but we've been having terrible luck recently.

Wolf Club wrote: »
    I wouldn't follow the club championship as closely as the rest of ye lads, but is there anything that could possibly be done about the alarming amount of players that are coming back from club games injured? Obviously the club championship is important but we've been having terrible luck recently.

You've said it yourself, its just terrible luck!

Nothing wrong with playing club championship, it shouldnt suffer just for the county team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

You've said it yourself, its just terrible luck!

Nothing wrong with playing club championship, it shouldnt suffer just for the county team!

Yeah, you're probably right. I remember hearing before though, (again, this may not necessarily be 100% true as I don't follow the club championship very closely) that in Kerry, clubs take extra precaution of inter county players during the IC Championship in case they pick up injuries that prevent them playing for the county team. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Andy Moran is the only player who has seriously injured himself in the past 12 months playing for the county side (not including Higgins or Clarke from the Roscommon game as I'm not sure of their current situation), yet our list of casualties seems to be growing.

I'm not suggesting that Inter County players should stop playing for their clubs during the Championship, but maybe more sparingly to avoid situations like we are currently in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Yeah, you're probably right. I remember hearing before though, (again, this may not necessarily be 100% true as I don't follow the club championship very closely) that in Kerry, clubs take extra precaution of inter county players during the IC Championship in case they pick up injuries that prevent them playing for the county team. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Andy Moran is the only player who has seriously injured himself in the past 12 months playing for the county side (not including Higgins or Clarke from the Roscommon game as I'm not sure of their current situation), yet our list of casualties seems to be growing.

I'm not suggesting that Inter County players should stop playing for their clubs during the Championship, but maybe more sparingly to avoid situations like we are currently in.

That waters down the county championship.

I'm of the opinion you either shut it down for all but the massive gap between league and championship until the IC season is over or you just play it throughout. The former means club players don't get to play championship in the summer and the later means players are at risk of injury. A half-way house is not a viable option.

What you're suggesting would be an incredible insult to clubs that are already messed around by the IC season to begin with.

Oh, and you can be damn sure club players in Kerry take just as hard a crack at county players in the championship as they do in Mayo. County players are essentially walking targets for club players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In Kerry the County League progresses without the County players, for the Championship the first round or two is played before the Kerry season start, they'll play one or two rounds between now and the AIQF and the rest won't go ahead till Kerry are out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

keane2097 wrote: »
    In Kerry the County League progresses without the County players, for the Championship the first round or two is played before the Kerry season start, they'll play one or two rounds between now and the AIQF and the rest won't go ahead till Kerry are out.

Yes, this is pretty much the way to go. Start the club championship between the (intercounty) league and championship as well as using any gap weekends towards the end of the NFL. Then play club league games only during the championship season with the intercounty lads not involved in this competition and re-start the county championship only when the county team are out of the All Ireland championship (or have won it..!). This way club players aren't being messed around and get games right through the summer, the county players are available for all club championship games and the county team doesn't have to worry about injuries in club games. Another advantage would be that non-county players who want to go travelling for the summer could go and come back without weakening their teams in the club championship.

I really don't see the need to have three or four club championship weekends in the middle of the intercounty championship season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I liked the colour St Patrick brought to the game His pigeon pidgen sign against Dublin that was so bizarre it was funny to alot o people I think nice tribute to the man would be a new younger generation of St Patricks with signs

Yes, this is pretty much the way to go. Start the club championship between the (intercounty) league and championship as well as using any gap weekends towards the end of the NFL. Then play club league games only during the championship season with the intercounty lads not involved in this competition and re-start the county championship only when the county team are out of the All Ireland championship (or have won it..!). This way club players aren't being messed around and get games right through the summer, the county players are available for all club championship games and the county team doesn't have to worry about injuries in club games. Another advantage would be that non-county players who want to go travelling for the summer could go and come back without weakening their teams in the club championship.

I really don't see the need to have three or four club championship weekends in the middle of the intercounty championship season.

I think its ridiculous that you suggest a county player should only play 3 - 4 times a year for their club (depending on how well they do).

The GAA is all about the clubs, and they should be respected as should every club championship!

There is nothing wrong with the timing of the club championship in Mayo!
    Id be happier that these players are playing competitive football with their clubs at least! As the county team have strolled their first 2 games! And I dont think Mayo football would be as strong if we didnt have as good a club championship (although its quality has fallen in recent years).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

what exactly does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

what exactly does this mean?
    I think it could be a reference to the incident some years back when Darragh O' Sé was red carded in a club match but got it overturned to enable him to play for the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

Leitrim hammered by Armagh. London just about beat Leitrim. Armagh are nothing brilliant this year (I think). What does this say for Mayo v London next week.

In short, is it worth the bother of going next weekend or just watching on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Rory1 wrote: »
    Leitrim hammered by Armagh. London just about beat Leitrim. Armagh are nothing brilliant this year (I think). What does this say for Mayo v London next week.

I don't think were at a level yet where we can consider it a "bother" to go to a championship match and remember this is a Connaught final.Maybe when like kerry we have 36 all-Ireland's in the back pockets,we can start to take such liberties.I have never seen London play live and that's one of the reasons i'm really looking forward to this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Matches are always worth going to.
    Plus it's e25 for the stand or e20 for every place else, Munster final was 35 for the stand, do it's good value

gigantic09 wrote: »
    I don't think were at a level yet where we can consider it a "bother" to go to a championship match and remember this is a Connaught final.Maybe when like kerry we have 36 all-Ireland's in the back pockets,we can start to take such liberties.I have never seen London play live and that's one of the reasons i'm really looking forward to this match.

OK, put it another way. Will it be a hammering? No contest, over after 30 minutes? By bother I mean spending circa EUR 100 for day (tickets, diesel and other costs).

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

OK, put it another way. Will it be a hammering? No contest, over after 30 minutes? By bother I mean spending circa EUR 100 for day (tickets, diesel and other costs).

It could well be a hammering but hoping that London give a good account of themselves.You also have the minor final so great value for money i.m.o.If the weather is anything like we have at the moment even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

My advice is simple.
    Enjoy the good times. It won't last for ever !

km79 wrote: »
    My advice is simple.
    Enjoy the good times. It won't last for ever !

I will only consider it the good times if we can go all the way.

It could well be a hammering but hoping that London give a good account of themselves.You also have the minor final so great value for money i.m.o.If the weather is anything like we have at the moment even better.
    As a Mayo fan I expect a hammering, and I don't care if London make a good account of themselves, but I'm still going to go and enjoy it

who knows when Mayo and London will be in the Connaught Final again?

Im going

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

who knows when Mayo and London will be in the Connaught Final again?

Im going

Ah ya that's it will be some occasion. What an achievement this is for London to make their first provinicial final. I'd be going regardless but with the Minors also involved plus the likelihood of another fantastic day weather wise it should be good day :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Matches are always worth going to.
    Plus it's e25 for the stand or e20 for every place else, Munster final was 35 for the stand, do it's good value
    Don't let the "reduced" ticket prices fool you as the cheapest Connacht final ticket the last number of years was e20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

This is a connacht final not a night at the opera. Get your arse to McHale park and support the team winning three connacht titles in a row..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Forgot about the minor contest,should be a real match up.Few years since we bagged a minor title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

seligehgit wrote: »
    Forgot about the minor contest,should be a real match up.Few years since we bagged a minor title.
    Yes two years when three in row was won.

• Advertisement

Don't let the "reduced" ticket prices fool you as the cheapest Connacht final ticket the last number of years was e20

Yea I thought I paid 20 for terrace tickets on the Hyde this last few years but saying that the stand ticket is 10 cheaper than the Munster equivalent, and it's a better quality stand too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement