Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Yea I thought I paid 20 for terrace tickets on the Hyde this last few years but saying that the stand ticket is 10 cheaper than the Munster equivalent, and it's a better quality stand too

In this weather I don't want to see sight nor sound of McHale's pillared barnyard stand. McHale is one of the few grounds where the (ex-)terrace is significantly better for more than just banter in good weather.

I really don't understand how you could pump that much money into a stand and still end up with a design that needed support pillars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Syferus wrote: »
    In this weather I don't want to see sight nor sound of McHale's pillared barnyard stand. McHale is one of the few grounds where the (ex-)terrace is significantly better for more than just banter in good weather.

I really don't understand how you could pump that much money into a stand and still end up with a design that needed support pillars.

At least it's easy to get in and out of it :p

Sardines in a can comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Yeah the terrace in Castlebar is great set up and with the great weather expected it should be the best place to sit/stand next Sunday. But have a season ticket so will be allocated in the stand so will have to make do with that

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Can't wait for the game to be honest. It's a good time to be a mayo fan . Possibly a great time ........
    Looking forward to the minor game too

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Yeah the terrace in Castlebar is great set up and with the great weather expected it should be the best place to sit/stand next Sunday. But have a season ticket so will be allocated in the stand so will have to make do with that

Once you get in I assume you'll be able to just walk to terrace side? I'd be surprised to see lads checking tickets on that side for any match.

km79 wrote: »
    Can't wait for the game to be honest. It's a good time to be a mayo fan . Possibly a great time ........
    Looking forward to the minor game too

Ros and Mayo three-in-a-rows on Sunday, I'm afraid :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I remember being shocked at those pillars when I went to see that stand for the first time. At the time, people were talking about a really modern stadium in C'bar. But those pillars just made it look so old :-( It was a missed opportunity.

25 / 20 euro seems reasonable value for a Connacht final. I attended Leinster & Munster hurling finals in the last week and it was 35/20 for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Brolly according to his latest tweets thinks we are very close to winning AI... How times change

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So its Derry or Cavan in the QTRs IF we beat London... possibly the "best" of all the teams left for us. Thats of course if we win next Sunday.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

yop wrote: »
    So its Derry or Cavan in the QTRs IF we beat London... possibly the "best" of all the teams left for us. Thats of course if we win next Sunday.

That's if you lose to London and not the quarters. 1/4 final draw not made for another 2 weeks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

copacetic wrote: »
    That's if you lose to London and not the quarters. 1/4 final draw not made for another 2 weeks.

Im just after opening my eyes and realised what I typed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I think its ridiculous that you suggest a county player should only play 3 - 4 times a year for their club (depending on how well they do).

The GAA is all about the clubs, and they should be respected as should every club championship!

There is nothing wrong with the timing of the club championship in Mayo!
    Id be happier that these players are playing competitive football with their clubs at least! As the county team have strolled their first 2 games! And I dont think Mayo football would be as strong if we didnt have as good a club championship (although its quality has fallen in recent years).

Most county players already play FBD, national league, Connacht and All Ireland championships as well as some sometimes playing inter pros, Sigerson as well as underage for club and county in some cases in addition to playing in the club championship as well. If you're playing regular for the intercounty team you're playing enough matches without getting wheeled out for the county league on top of all that. If you're just a panel player at intercounty level, not getting much game time, playing county league games could be justified. Not for the out and out first team players though.

County championship wouldn't be affected - might even be strengthened by being separated in terms of timescales from the intercounty championship.

Regarding the Connacht final - will there be any way for stand ticket holders to get out into the rest of the stadium? If its going to be sunny and 25C I don't want to be stuck behind a pole in that stand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

yop wrote: »

Loser of the Final plays Derry/Cavan. Mayo would advance to the 1/4 where they can play anyone coming through Round 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

A lot of big teams still standing in the qualifiers,Cork,Tyrone...Meath looked very impressive yesterday against Dublin.Derry would be a dangerous team to come up against but you've got to beat what is put in front of you.

seligehgit wrote: »
    A lot of big teams still standing in the qualifiers,Cork,Tyrone...Meath looked very impressive yesterday against Dublin.Derry would be a dangerous team to come up against but you've got to beat what is put in front of you.

I THINK Dublin were shell shocked and it has shown a lot of promise for a team who seemed unbeatable up to this.
    The Dublin backline is the weaklink and pressure seems to rile them. Mr Horan take note ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Most county players already play FBD, national league, Connacht and All Ireland championships as well as some sometimes playing inter pros, Sigerson as well as underage for club and county in some cases in addition to playing in the club championship as well. If you're playing regular for the intercounty team you're playing enough matches without getting wheeled out for the county league on top of all that. If you're just a panel player at intercounty level, not getting much game time, playing county league games could be justified. Not for the out and out first team players though.

County championship wouldn't be affected - might even be strengthened by being separated in terms of timescales from the intercounty championship.

Regarding the Connacht final - will there be any way for stand ticket holders to get out into the rest of the stadium? If its going to be sunny and 25C I don't want to be stuck behind a pole in that stand!

can you not just go in the normal routes to the game say the back off the goal and tell your man on the gate that you dont want to go in tothe stand.a ticket is a ticket at the end of the day it should not make any difference what part of the ground you are in.

naughto wrote: »
    can you not just go in the normal routes to the game say the back off the goal and tell your man on the gate that you dont want to go in tothe stand.a ticket is a ticket at the end of the day it should not make any difference what part of the ground you are in.

Presuming you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think common sense would say yes, any other final pairing and it might not be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Its no bother going from the stand to the terrace, just a problem if its the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

afaik there is no separate entrance for the stand, you go in at one of the main gates and then show your ticket at the stand to get in but you dont have to go to the stand, stay on the terrace if you wish. One thing that pisses me off no end is busy body stewards telling me to sit down when i stand up at the very back of the terrace on the gravel. Not obstructing anyone's view or anything, i just prefer to stand. Though usually when the match is 10 mins old the stewards are all watching anyway and dont give a **** then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Any mention on what the expected crowd is for Sunday? i'd say 12-15k max.

• Advertisement

Any mention on what the expected crowd is for Sunday? i'd say 12-15k max.

10k Mayo, 3k Ros, maybe 2k neutral/London (remember almost all have families and ex-club-mates here in Ireland). 15k would be a good shout and a good day in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

10k Mayo, 3k Ros, maybe 2k neutral/London (remember almost all have families and ex-club-mates here in Ireland). 15k would be a good shout and a good day in the circumstances.

Tickets have apparently been slow to shift in Mayo. Will be doing well to get to 15k for this one unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Tickets have apparently been slow to shift in Mayo. Will be doing well to get to 15k for this one unfortunately.

Connaught Council ,as of last night, are expecting 18-20,000

Also, I hope the TV3 panel and commentators recognise that its Keith Higgins thats Mayo's captain this year not David Clarke like RTE have been saying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Also, I hope the TV3 panel and commentators recognise that its Keith Higgins thats Mayo's captain this year not David Clarke like RTE have been saying!!!

As far as I can recall the stadium announcer also listed Clarke as captain before the Roscommon game, despite Higgins leading out the team.

Andy's still the team captain. Keith Higgins is the vice-captain who acts as the on-field captain as Andy hasn't started a game yet. I'd assume that'll change on Sunday.

Andy's still the team captain. Keith Higgins is the vice-captain who acts as the on-field captain as Andy hasn't started a game yet. I'd assume that'll change on Sunday.

True :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

hennelly in goal for sunday.i thought he left the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Good to see him back he was great in 2011
    There is a poster here from Kerry that knows him I think, he may have some insight

• Advertisement

What's the story with Kenneth o Malley?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement