Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

This discussion thread is in danger of descending into a them and us cock fight.There are plenty of Mayo supporters who have not posted anything of an arrogant or dismissive nature towards Galway or Roscommon.
    No harm in a bit of healthy banter but we're all from Connaught and I'll always support my fellow westerners,no gloating from this direction just respect.Time to disengage from the hostilities,just because somebody is from outside Mayo or disagrees with my viewpoint does'nt automatically make them a troller.It's nice to see those outside the county/province offering a different insight/showing an interest,they may perceive self confidence as overt arrogance or may be correct in thinking that the Mayo supporters are getting ahead of themselves again.As defiler mentioned most Mayo supporters are All Ireland loss weary and manage their expectations accordingly,with great caution.
    Long way to go this summer but I still think we are behind Dublin and Donegal in the pecking order,the cute boys from the Kingdom are very quiet,any views?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭stoeger2000

In fairness it's the same old story in mayo every year, as soon as the championship starts you get the same auld gobsh**es going on about how we are going to win it this year. I've heard the same story for the last 34 years, and still haven't seen Sam being lifted by a man in a mayo shirt. Would be nice if they had a bit of cop on and kept their mouths shut until the team had done something other than beat a couple of weak Connaught teams. I'm sure it's the same in every county, all the a***holes know someone that plays county, or is related to a county player. There just seems to be a lot more of them prepared to shout about if in mayo. Although, I know a good few from Sligo, Galway, Leitrim and Roscommon too.
    Mayo have a strong chance this year tho, so hopefully they can go all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    What about Ray Silke Syferus? What slight did Ray make about the people of Roscommon 15 years ago that causes you to have vodoo dolls and burning effigies of him?

One man shouldn't be given as a representation of a county, Roscommon fans should know that more than anyone with some of yer characters that are doing the rounds on the web.

Arrah I enjoyed Galway's wins as much as anyone whose team had drew with and beat them in their AI years could. Success just goes to peoples' heads in every county. Some loopers in Mayo right now, but I'm sure the Galway thread wouldn't be a pretty sight leading into 2002.

That said, at least ye had the titles in the bank by that point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

This thread has descended into utter Shiite.

A few lads expressing confidence about Mayos chances in the all Ireland (and justify their opinions) and a few others stating what pretty much everyone in the country expects the result to be against London, and then we have the Herrin chokers and the sheep in here slagging us off. WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Blackjack wrote: »
    This thread has descended into utter Shiite.

A few lads expressing confidence about Mayos chances in the all Ireland (and justify their opinions) and a few others stating what pretty much everyone in the country expects the result to be against London, and then we have the Herrin chokers and the sheep in here slagging us off. WTF.

You're incredibly sensitive if you think I was slagging you off. If anything I defended you.

You're not doing Hulk Hands' point any harm with responses like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Syferus wrote: »
    You're incredibly sensitive if you think I was slagging you off. If anything I defended you.

You're not doing Hulk Hands' point any harm with responses like that.

He isn't on about you. We're used to u :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

In fairness it's the same old story in mayo every year, as soon as the championship starts you get the same auld gobsh**es going on about how we are going to win it this year. I've heard the same story for the last 34 years, and still haven't seen Sam being lifted by a man in a mayo shirt. Would be nice if they had a bit of cop on and kept their mouths shut until the team had done something other than beat a couple of weak Connaught teams. I'm sure it's the same in every county, all the a***holes know someone that plays county, or is related to a county player. There just seems to be a lot more of them prepared to shout about if in mayo. Although, I know a good few from Sligo, Galway, Leitrim and Roscommon too.
    Mayo have a strong chance this year tho, so hopefully they can go all the way.
    see this is a load of ****e. No one has said we are going to win it, in fact most posters seem to think we are slightly behind Dublin and Donegal and i concur. However that doesnt mean we are not in with a serious shot. being confident does not equate to being a gob****e. Lazy lazy post imo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Interesting how this thread is going.
    Once again Mayo are facing a stroll in the park and for some reason their fans are accused of being arrogant for looking forward to it and having realistic expectations about going further than 2012.
    Most of it coming from disgruntled Galway trolls.
    Well by Saturday evening the Galway crew can boast that they are as good as Kerry, cos they will also have beaten Tipp and Waterford at that stage, but hey Kerry are not great theses days so it's not much of a boast either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Once again Mayo are facing a stroll in the park and for some reason their fans are accused of being arrogant for looking forward to it and having realistic expectations about going further than 2012.
    Well by Saturday evening the Galway crew can boast that they are as good as Kerry, cos they will also have beaten Tipp and Waterford at that stage, but hey Kerry are not great theses days so it's not much of a boast either.
    That's the point, ye should be looking to at least reach the AI again this year. It's one or 2 people on this gloating about beating the worst Galway team in history that becomes pretty tedious. I for one hope Mayo win the AI after Galway are knocked out, preferably beating Dublin in the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Nobody is giving out about Mayo fans being overconfident. You're All Ireland contenders and have every right to be looking forward to August with optimism. It's the little digs your fans are making about Galway here and there, in person and on forums, showing complete arrogance that getting on people's neves. It's evident in recent pages. You have enjoyed rare high ground over Galway in the wake over the big win and are entitled a small degree of gloating, but your fans and posters have completely worn that thin at this stage. It's similar to the Cork fans getting on their high horses when beating Kerry in recent years. The arguments on thin ice from the start. Forget about us and move on to the rest of the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Nobody is giving out about Mayo fans being overconfident. You're All Ireland contenders and have every right to be looking forward to August with optimism. It's the little digs your fans are making about Galway here and there, in person and on forums, showing complete arrogance that getting on people's neves. It's evident in recent pages. You have enjoyed rare high ground over Galway in the wake over the big win and are entitled a small degree of gloating, but your fans and posters have completely worn that thin at this stage. It's similar to the Cork fans getting on their high horses when beating Kerry in recent years. The arguments on thin ice from the start. Forget about us and move on to the rest of the summer.
    well seeing that this is a MAYO gaa thread the little digs here and there are to be expected as i would say if galway beat us down the road with a stick then it would be the same on the galway gaa thread.if you dont like
    reading it on the MAYO gaa thread then i suggest you stay out of the thread all together.

we have had enough sh1te yrs of mayo football so when things are going right we like to hold or heads high cos when you loose as many all irelands as we have it take a long time to get over the heart ace.

see this is a load of ****e. No one has said we are going to win it, in fact most posters seem to think we are slightly behind Dublin and Donegal and i concur. However that doesnt mean we are not in with a serious shot. being confident does not equate to being a gob****e. Lazy lazy post imo

You say 'no one has said we are going to win it'?? Go to any pub in mayo on a Saturday night and you will hear any amount of gobs****s spouting it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You say 'no one has said we are going to win it'?? Go to any pub in mayo on a Saturday night and you will hear any amount of gobs****s spouting it.

Thats why its called pub talk and no one heeds it.

yop wrote: »
    Thats why its called pub talk and no one heeds it.

Maybe so, but it's still being said by plenty of mayo supporters. Which was my point to start with. Hear it every year, same story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

naughto wrote: »
    when you loose as many all irelands as we have it take a long time to get over the heart ace.

You say that like All Irelands was taken away from Mayo. Galway have been senior All Ireland runners up 13 times so Mayo have a little catching up on that stat as well. ;)

Maybe so, but it's still being said by plenty of mayo supporters. Which was my point to start with. Hear it every year, same story.

Well they are probably supporters who go to the AI Semi's and AI final and aren't seen for the rest of the years until the same thing comes around again. Plenty of those around. Also known as not knowing too much about what they are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

You have enjoyed rare high ground over Galway in the wake over the big win

If you check the Mayo v Galway all time head to head record you might find there's nothing rare about it. And soon we'll have more Connacht titles too. We've a bit of catching up to do in All Ireland terms but there's no time like the present to start putting that one right as well.

You might be better off back in your own thread continuing to relive glory days long since passed while praying that your supporters (who seem to turn up at Pearse Stadium dressed as empty seats on match days) are not about to hype yet another batch of mediocre Under-21s up to standards they have no hope of ever aspiring to.

Wait, I just checked, too late for that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

If you check the Mayo v Galway all time head to head record you might find there's nothing rare about it. And soon we'll have more Connacht titles too. We've a bit of catching up to do in All Ireland terms but there's no time like the present to start putting that one right as well.

You might be better off back in your own thread continuing to relive glory days long since passed while praying that your supporters (who seem to turn up at Pearse Stadium dressed as empty seats on match days) are not about to hype yet another batch of mediocre Under-21s up to standards they have no hope of ever aspiring to.

Wait, I just checked, too late for that as well.

Galway won't be away for long and when they do come back they will probably do what they did in 1998, go straight into a final and do the business unlike mayo in 1996 and 1997. Don't discount the U 21 sucess as most of the 98 team played in the 1995 under 21 final v Tyrone who went onto some sucess themselves! Mayo will be judged by all Ireland sucess in years to come not beating a weak 13 man Galway team in the 1st round in 2013! When you have low standards you tend to get excited at 1st round wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Galway won't be away for long and when they do come back they will probably do what they did in 1998, go straight into a final and do the business unlike mayo in 1996 and 1997. Don't discount the U 21 sucess as most of the 98 team played in the 1995 under 21 final v Tyrone who went onto some sucess themselves! Mayo will be judged by all Ireland sucess in years to come not beating a weak 13 man Galway team in the 1st round in 2013! When you have low standards you tend to get excited at 1st round wins!

Your either the worst WUM ever or you were droped a few too many times as a child?

Your post has more contradictions than a Fianna Fail budget!

Your either the worst WUM ever or you were droped a few too many times as a child?

Your post has more contradictions than a Fianna Fail budget!

Nah, he/she is just a troll. If U21 success points to future senior success then we know the lad hasn't a bean between his ponytails.

Dropped too many times I think

• Advertisement

You usually hear it from non gaa fans who jump on the bandwagon every year when things start going well, same as every other county. Singling out mayo in this regard is just pure lazy bull**** from yourself.

You usually hear it from non gaa fans who jump on the bandwagon every year when things start going well, same as every other county. Singling out mayo in this regard is just pure lazy bull**** from yourself.

I hear it from plenty of GAA fans, lads a bit like yourself I suppose. And come September you'll be a quiet lad again. Same as every year.
    And then you wonder why lads from other counties give mayo stick on here???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

come on now it be a good few yrs before there back to there best.i would say the rossies and letrim will have there day in the sun before galway do.
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

wait a second why are we even bothering entertaining these galway heads they have being but to the sword allready buy a good 17 points.
    or next game is london in the connaught final.what sort of a team will horan name??
    did some one say clark is out injured?

I hear it from plenty of GAA fans, lads a bit like yourself I suppose. And come September you'll be a quiet lad again. Same as every year.

wtf is that supposed to mean? Where ave i been arrogant or over confident? What does me being quiet in September mean? You are making stupid wild generalisations all over this thread, grow up good lad. I dont come on here much mainly because of childish trolls like you, i dont agree with the strict modding over in the soccer forum but they would have you out the door by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

lads i think this thread needs some more rules of what it is here for... Is it here to give our opinions on mayos Route in football, or is it here to rant about other users and other counties,. This was a brilliant thread during the fbd and league but it has now been spoilt. New rules and stricter modding are needed as this thread has turned into an entire gaa bashing thread.

tacofries wrote: »
    lads i think this thread needs some more rules of what it is here for... Is it here to give our opinions on mayos Route in football, or is it here to rant about other users and other counties,. This was a brilliant thread during the fbd and league but it has now been spoilt. New rules and stricter modding are needed as this thread has turned into an entire gaa bashing thread.

And backseat modding is bannable... ;)

lol, some post that. You've never posted in the GAA forum and the first posts all you do is slag Mayo fans....

Out of interest, who do you support?

No injury updates as of yet. Won't hear to much until the next rounds of the championship is over.
    I see Richie Feeney is top scorer in the league from play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Im a Mayo man and a Mayo fan and a lot of the muck on this thread I find objectionable. The thing about arrogance is its hard to recognise it in yourself. Luckily James Horan seems to have a rare grasp on reality, for a Mayo man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

yop wrote: »
    If U21 success points to future senior success then we know the lad hasn't a bean between his ponytails.

2006,2007,2008,2009 Connacht U21 titles and All Ireland in 2006 has certainly helped Mayo along the way. Galway have underachieved most of the 2002,2005 U21 players haven't make the step up to senior level however it remains to be seen if the same will happen with 2011,2013 U-21 sides.

• Advertisement

2006,2007,2008,2009 Connacht U21 titles and All Ireland in 2006 has certainly helped Mayo along the way. Galway have underachieved most of the 2002,2005 U21 players haven't make the step up to senior level however it remains to be seen if the same will happen with 2011,2013 U-21 sides.

So that proves what I just said. It doesn't guarantee success. Roscommon had a good run of minor teams over the years and they didn't make a massive progression.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement