Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Nice changes there. Coen has a growing reputation so not surprised. Varley has been good but Coen seems to be playing very well.
    Vaughan I'm afraid is in trouble, too many times the cause of needless frees and losing the ball, heart of a lion but is the root cause of a couple of scores per game.

Pity for Carolan, hasn't done anything wrong.

Hope Hennelly just concentrates on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

yop wrote: »
    Nice changes there. Coen has a growing reputation so not surprised. Varley has been good but Coen seems to be playing very well.
    Vaughan I'm afraid is in trouble, too many times the cause of needless frees and losing the ball, heart of a lion but is the root cause of a couple of scores per game.

Pity for Carolan, hasn't done anything wrong.

Hope Hennelly just concentrates on the game.

:confused:

He's injured and will surely start the AIQF if fit. Too many Mayo supporters are critical of Vaughan as a HB. It'll take him being gone in a big game for ye to realise what you're missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Hope Coen can continue to impress, hes a good goalscorer too, as are Freeman and Moran.

There are goals in this team if they get good ball inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Hope Coen can continue to impress, hes a good goalscorer too, as are Freeman and Moran.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Syferus wrote: »
    :confused:

He's injured and will surely start the AIQF if fit. Too many Mayo supporters are critical of Vaughan as a HB. It'll take him being gone in a big game for ye to realise what you're missing.

There is a reason that we are, its because he is a liability, of course you have your opinion, but I and the 2 lads who I travel to all the Mayo matches with have watched him a lot in the last 2 years and he is key to us conceding a number of scores per game.

• Advertisement

Think that is why Coen is in.

There is a reason that we are, its because he is a liability, of course you have your opinion, but I and the 2 lads who I travel to all the Mayo matches with have watched him a lot in the last 2 years and he is key to us conceding a number of scores per game.

I've seen all Mayo's championship games the last few years (many in person, to my absolute shame) and most of their NFL matches in the same stretch, hell I've been in Ballyhaunis and Ballinlough for the FBD ties even. I've seen a lot of Vaughan. He's a prototypical good HB, confident in his ability going forward to the point of near-arrogance. He'll over-carry the ball at times but this is a trait common to nearly every good HB.

It reminds me of what a team-mate and fellow HB of Gerry O'Malley's told me, that he was wonderful going forward but he had penchant to lose the ball high up the field and start shouting 'Cover! Cover!' at the other two HBs who now had at least one extra man running at them. Even the greats suffer from that trait.

Vaughan may well be the cause of a point here or there being conceded but he offers plenty and is easily one of Mayo's three best HBs. Higgins could be a very good HB himself but I'd be worried about the FB line in big games were he not there given the players that are understudies in that line. I wouldn't want to go fiddling with a two all-star FB line mid-season unless I was absolutely forced to.

The HBs are a unit have been the driving force of Mayo's attack thus far, all three very comfortable on the ball and good at creating mis-matches in the opposition's defence. Mayo's forward line isn't filled with marque names so the HBs beign electric is essential to Mayo's chances this year. Vaughan, Boyle, Keegan and Feeney (who is essentially a sweeper/fourth HB in the current system) are the best line-up possible if you don't want to leave big question marks in the FB line.

Were it a case of Vaughan moving to 11 or 12 on the team-sheet and being the main sweeper, that'd be a realistic option. I don't think dropping him is.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

In fairness to Vaughan, he's been very solid this year, both league and championship. His was one of Mayo's best players against both Galway and Ross. He is a massive asset for creating overlaps leading to goal chances and coming up with a score or two himself.

I would prefer if he had more of a footballing brain but overall he is probably our best no.6, just ahead of Cunniffe for me.

Will be really interesting to see how Higgins gets on at 6 should he actually play there. Given a license to attack, he could tear the opposition to shreds, creating lots of goal chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

i would have Cunniffe ahead of vaughan, Cunniffe was unnreal against the rossies.allways out in front of his man,he must have being doing a lot of weights cos he is very strong the way he can push players around.

naughto wrote: »
    i would have Cunniffe ahead of vaughan, Cunniffe was unnreal against the rossies.allways out in front of his man,he must have being doing a lot of weights cos he is very strong the way he can push players around.

Cunniffe ahead of Vaughan by a long shot.

In fairness even my granny would have been Mayo's better players against Galway and Roscommon!

So Syferus you go to all Mayo championship, league and FBD games.... your not really a Rossie then are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

He spends a lot of time in the gym all right, big into keeping himself in top shape. What I'm saying is, though Cunniffe would be an all-round better player and way better foot-passer, Vaughan has done nothing to deserve losing his place so far this year (I know he's out injured).

Cunniffe ahead of Vaughan by a long shot.

In fairness even my granny would have been Mayo's better players against Galway and Roscommon!

So Syferus you go to all Mayo championship, league and FBD games.... your not really a Rossie then are you?

Know your enemy :cool:

Wait 'till I get a crack at the Ros job, ye'll be rightly screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

IMO Higgins is the best all round centre back in the Mayo team but as he's played such a vital role in the corner for last 7/8 years we've yet to see it other than couple league games. If hes given run there I'd rate him as high as Lacey of Donegal but Horan has this Mayo team set up as a unit now and Higgins attributes/experience as a corner back are more beneficial. Regardless of who is at 6, we're not lacking in that department, they are all in tune and capable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Looks like a team for February instead of July but that is the nature of the Connaught Championship in 2013

Hopefully they will get the chance to throw on a lot of fringe guys as subs too.

How many changes do you expect for the quarter final game?

Line-out has everything to do with injuries and about nothing to do with the state of the Connacht championship.

TBF, that was a ridculous thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Nice programme on Showcase ch 191 on Sky now

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

in rate vaughn as a good half back but he tends to go missing a lot during big matches (last years all ireland) he seems to be going good this year going forward but has yet to be tested goin back, still undecided on him, definitely looking forward to seeing if higgins can play centre back

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Going to put my head on the block here and predict a huge win for Mayo.
    20pts +
    How I do not piss too many off for being confident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Going to put my head on the block here and predict a huge win for Mayo.
    20pts +
    How I do not piss too many off for being confident

Not really a bold prediction, the bookies have the handicap at 17 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

i dont think it will be a massive margin that we will win by the heat is going to be a big factor.
    so 9/10 points we should win by:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The heat will play a part however i think Mayo will go for goals and the game will probably over as contest by half time. Mayo 4-14 London 0-10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

i dont think it will be a massive margin that we will win by the heat is going to be a big factor.
    so 9/10 points we should win by:pac::pac:

Heat will be a factor that will probably add a few points to the winning margin I think. Mayo will be much fitter and much more able for it than London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Galway and Roscommon's recent performances suggest that we might have beaten better quality sides to date than we thought we had. Armagh beaten, Tyrone run close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Galway and Roscommon's recent performances suggest that we might have beaten better quality sides to date than we thought we had. Armagh beaten, Tyrone run close.

One of those days where everything when wrong for Galway and right for mayo. Great performance v Armagh

One of those days where everything when wrong for Galway and right for mayo. Great performance v Armagh

Every time Galway play Mayo seems to be 'one of those days' these times. You'd think they'd average out after a while...say over five seasons maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

True however Galway up against v Cork next weekend but at least they have restored some pride today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Fair play to Galway, they've certainly got the monkey off the back when it comes to non-Connacht teams anyhow! Be some craic if Mayo got them in the quarters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Every time Galway play Mayo seems to be 'one of those days' these times. You'd think they'd average out after a while...say over five seasons maybe.

What good is it when you don't win an all Ireland

• Advertisement

What good is it when you don't win an all Ireland

If that's what we're basing everything on then the current Galway panel might as well retire now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement