Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

seligehgit wrote: »
    What's the story with Kenneth o Malley?
    both injured i knew clak was out but not o malley, must have pick up knock with there clubs or was it from the challange game that mayo played last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Some comeback from the dead by Heneally.

do we only have two keepers on the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Hopefully we get Clarke back for quarter finals. I think he is worth at least 1 point extra per game compared to him not starting. Seems to be a kickout strategy working well this year (limited opponents), assured under high ball, gets ball out to his defenders accurately when in posession and is a great shot stopper. His foot passing often appears more accurate than outfield players.

I think Mayo shouldn't be too worried either way. It's the players on the other end of the kicks that are making the midfield work.

The outfield injuries are the real concern.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hennelly left the panel for work reasons, couldn't commit. Can be great and can be kamakaze all in the one day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

yop wrote: »
    Hennelly left the panel for work reasons, couldn't commit. Can be great and can be kamakaze all in the one day! :D

He sure did stop my heart a few times!! :eek:

i do not want to see him taking frees.
    i nearly wet my self when he fell on his arse taking one before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Connaught Council ,as of last night, are expecting 18-20,000
    16,000 at the Galway game and 19,000 at the Roscommon game Connacht Council somewhat optimistic i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

mayo.mick wrote: »
    He sure did stop my heart a few times!! :eek:
    Ya def. He is not a patch on clarke and is too unpredictable imo

• Advertisement

Ya def. He is not a patch on clarke and is too unpredictable imo
    I think last few posts show just how much goalkeepers in are underrated in GAA.
    I think kickouts have really been worked on and there is some reliance on Clarke. It is Clarke who has been making this work in competitive games (albeit against limited opposition). Some of these kickouts involve set plays where Clarke is kicking to an unmarked point on the pitch and the outfield players are all tuned in to that call. Don't know how it is being signalled (must originate with Clarke) but you can't just drop in a sub and hope for the same results.
    I would say O'Malley has all those calls as well but would be unsure about Hennelly.
    Also agreed, from the games he has played Hennelly does not have the same level of consistency as Clarke. There have been games where Clarke has saved Mayos bacon and I'm not sure another keeper in the county would have. I'm struggling to think of incidents where you would say "Ah for God sake what was he doing?" and that is a great sign in any keeper either GAA or soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think last few posts show just how much goalkeepers in are underrated in GAA.
    I think kickouts have really been worked on and there is some reliance on Clarke. It is Clarke who has been making this work in competitive games (albeit against limited opposition). Some of these kickouts involve set plays where Clarke is kicking to an unmarked point on the pitch and the outfield players are all tuned in to that call. Don't know how it is being signalled (must originate with Clarke) but you can't just drop in a sub and hope for the same results.
    I would say O'Malley has all those calls as well but would be unsure about Hennelly.
    Also agreed, from the games he has played Hennelly does not have the same level of consistency as Clarke. There have been games where Clarke has saved Mayos bacon and I'm not sure another keeper in the county would have. I'm struggling to think of incidents where you would say "Ah for God sake what was he doing?" and that is a great sign in any keeper either GAA or soccer.
    Michael Murphy, 2012 All Ireland Final.

Still the best keeper in the county though.

dillion injury
    http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18198:no-pain-no-gain-for-mayos-alan-dillon&catid=14&Itemid=100008

QUESTION: What do Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard, Republic of Ireland defender Richard Dunne, Dublin’s Alan Brogan and our own Alan Dillon have in common — apart from being high-profile and successful sportsmen?
    Answer: all four of them have been struck down to varying degrees by a stomach muscle/groin injury that has threatened their careers and left them on the sidelines for long periods.
    As a consequence, while Alan Dillon is currently preparing to line out in his eighth Connacht Senior Final next Sunday against London, for long spells during the spring it seemed like his year may have been over before it had even started.
    Unknown to many casual observers, the Ballintubber and Mayo playmaker has been plagued by complex stomach and groin injuries since last September’s All-Ireland Final as ten years of inter-county service finally caught up with him.

These would be the same casual observers that think the only games worth going to happen in August?

Tough on Dillon but at least he's back for the run-in.

why play him sunday if hes carring an injury or is playing him the only way to see if he has made progress??

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Michael Murphy, 2012 All Ireland Final.

Still the best keeper in the county though.
    Goal was unstoppable and the fisted point you would need to be a huge keeper six foot five with bulk to contest Murphy in the air Unless you are referring to some other incident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Is it true that Mayo will be wearing sleeveless jerseys on Sunday?

Why? Did they let Aidan O'Shea do the washing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Seen a few tweets about it, that if its warm on the day Mayo will be going sleeveless

Seen a few tweets about it, that if its warm on the day Mayo will be going sleeveless

SUNDAY ... Variable cloud, very warm to hot, isolated showers possible, highs 26-32 C inland, 23-26 C east and south coasts.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=200

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    SUNDAY ... Variable cloud, very warm to hot, isolated showers possible, highs 26-32 C inland, 23-26 C east and south coasts.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=200

The poor ladeens who haven't been putting the work in on the bench press are going to feel awful ashamed on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Trevor Giles put the sleeveless jerseys out of fashion and bishop Brennan couldn't keep a straight face.
    sean-boylan-with-trevor-giles-2691999-630x429.jpg

This disobeys the Mayo character "Try to look like an eejit as least often as possible"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Goal was unstoppable and the fisted point you would need to be a huge keeper six foot five with bulk to contest Murphy in the air Unless you are referring to some other incident?
    He would have increased his chances of stopping the goal if he had not fallen backwards on his arse for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Team for Sunday

Mayo (SF v London): R Hennelly; T Cunniffe, G Cafferkey, C Barrett; L Keegan, K Higgins, C Boyle; A O'Shea, S O'Shea; K McLoughlin, A Dillon, R Feeney; A Moran, A Freeman, D Coen.

Great to see Higgins (finally) given a go at centre half back. Scores at least 2 points there for his club every game and I believe thats his best position nowadays. Could be some goals in that forward line too. Most bookies have over 2.5 goals @ 5/4 so there's some decent value in that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Team for Sunday

Mayo (SF v London): R Hennelly; T Cunniffe, G Cafferkey, C Barrett; L Keegan, K Higgins, C Boyle; A O'Shea, S O'Shea; K McLoughlin, A Dillon, R Feeney; A Moran, A Freeman, D Coen.

Great to see Higgins (finally) given a go at centre half back. Scores at least 2 points there for his club every game and I believe thats his best position nowadays. Could be some goals in that forward line too. Most bookies have over 2.5 goals @ 5/4 so there's some decent value in that

Interesting team. Are Mayo fans surprised by the changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

also happy to see coen getting a chance, thought he played well and looked lively when he came on the other two games

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Looks like a team for February instead of July but that is the nature of the Connaught Championship in 2013

Hopefully they will get the chance to throw on a lot of fringe guys as subs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

If no injuries come out of this match I'll be very happy! Hope im off so i can go to it

• Advertisement

i hear hes playing on sunday for us :pac::pac::pac:
    BPczENLCYAAqQ6W.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement